Kingdom-Building: A Valois-Bourgogne TL

Should I create a smallish chapter dedicated to the normal life of Burgundy or the Burgundian Court?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Chapter 1: The Birth of Philip IV of Burgundy
  • "Anne of Beaujeu, any good historian says she was the power behind the throne and the reason that the kingdom came to be, but we should not neglect the contributions of the three dukes who laid the foundations for the Burgundian Kingdom." -Josh Tucker (Side note: This man has a really good podcast about Burgundy 10/10 recommend) (This quote doesn't exist irl btw)

February 13 1457, Brussels, Brabant

"Push!" the midwife exclaimed as Charles looked on in worry as his wife's face turned completely sour in pain and exhaustion. Isabella gutturally screamed one last time as the baby was pushed out completely. The midwives immediately rushed in cutting the umbilical cord a couple seconds after and one of the nurses immediately took the child and washed him from the blood. Charles not giving a thought to his new born child rushed to Isabella's side and held her hand. "My wife, how are you feeling?" Charles asked in deep concern and sorrow written on his face. Isabella smiled, who knew that her marriage would bring such peace and joy? "I'm alright, my love and our child has been safely delivered." Charles kissed her forehead softly as the midwife came back with their child in her arms.

Isabella took hold of her child and breastfed him as the midwife smiled and exclaimed, "Congratulations, my lièges, you have a son and heir!" As soon as she uttered those words. A thunderclap was heard just outside even though the night sky was clear shocking everyone in the room. Looking at his son with pride and joy, "Philip, I shall call you Philip. May you fulfill your namesake and take after your grandfather and our progenitor, Philip the Bold."

A couple of weeks after, when the baptism began you could tell the absolute excitement of Philip the Good just on his face and actions only to be forced to tone it down by his wife Isabella of Portugal. Philip's godfather, the future Louis XI of France but just Louis of Dauphiné for now didn't seem to care as much as he talking quite seriously to the newborn's father, Charles. Louis was pushing for a marriage between the newborn and France. Charles was open to the idea but he didn't take it as seriously and remarked, "When you become king of France my dear cousin, we shall see to their marriage." followed by a short fit of laughter from Charles, after all Louis was exiled to Burgundy. The future king only showed the slightest amount of anger in his face before he went on to smile. "I will become king do not worry my cousin." he replied with ever a slight amount of anger in his voice. Something which Charles ignored but Isabella did not.

As the baptism finished the priest announced that god has accepted the newborn into the family of the church. Charles immediately took to the front and announced him as Philip, firstborn of Charles, Count of Charolais. The room filled with applause as both the mother and grandparents rushed to baby Philip. Eventually afterwards the family returned to Coudenburg. "Charles, my son I am very proud of you as you have sired a son and secured the succession even before my death. Well done. Have the boy go around Burgundy and our lands just as I have done to you and my father has done to me." Philip began to explain. Charles nodded, his father just like him knew that Burgundy would one day be a kingdom and just like any prince they would have to explore and understand the kingdom.

Semi-Canon: "I think I have a stomachache after that baptism, why is that?" Louis of Dauphiné remarked as he rushed to the toilet to barf. (Yes Philip will cause trouble to Louis XI and Charles VIII)

Last edited:
    Character Study #1
  • So just my general thoughts on characters (adults btw not children cause can't spoil things too much)
    Philip the Good: man was obsessed with stateship and rulership so right now, he's focusing his grandson as a political tool.
    Charles the Bold: He genuinely loved his wife however he still is kinda like Philip so he loves his son as much as he does his wife but still wants to use him as a political tool.
    Louis of Dauphiné (AKA, Louis the Spider): I wanted some more character depth in him rather than just evil genius mastermind and because this is during his exile, I thought it would be a good idea to use his exile as a plot device to make him feel resentful for his weak position.
    Isabella of Bourbon: She is everyone's ideal mother, loves both her son and husband. I have a lot of ideas for her later on but I can't say anything yet.
    Isabella of Portugal: By this point her marriage with Philip isn't that great anymore but she still holds incredible sway over him. She was also quite a good tutor/role model for Mary of Guelders so you'll definitely see her teaching Philip soon.

Chapter 2: The rise of the Spider King.
  • "Louis XI of France was a genius when it came to ruling a kingdom. His political machinations and genius in maneuvering in France was brilliant and left France in an incredibly powerful state one which will not be seen again until the Thirty years war. How unfortunate that his daughter, Anne would undo all of his work with his death. The only fault I would have over him was that his heir was underage." -Richard Vaughan (His novels about Burgundy are helpful very good source but I'm poor and don't have them LOL)

July 22 1461, Bourges, France

"Duke of Berry." The doctor solemnly announced. "Is my father alright?" Charles asked in desperation. "The king...." He continued, "Is dead." he solemnly stated. "I must rush to Reims, I am the Dauphin now, Louis was banished and exiled from court. Prepare my horse." Charles immediately demanded. When he was in his horse he began to gallop accompanied by only a handful of knights as he rushed to Reims. Unfortunately for him, Louis was already there in front of the archbishop and surrounded by Burgundian soldiers.

As he knelt in front of the Archbishop, the crown of France was placed on his head. As he looked on, in front of his subjects. He proclaimed, "The king is dead. Long live King Louis XI of France." The entire room knelt along with the Burgundian knights. Louis immediately rushed to Paris and began arresting his father's advisors in order to consolidate his power. Charles, arrived in Paris shortly afterwards hearing his brother's coronation. He decided to play it safe and knelt in front of his brother as Duke of Berry. Louis smiled as he began to finish what his father started and began to centralize his vast realm.

"WE MUST GO ON A CRUSADE AGAINST THE BLASTED TURKS!" Philip yelled at his son. Charles and Philip were arguing over a crusade against the Turks. Philip believed that the crusade would bring greater glory and money and the selling of the towns along the somme would be worth it. "You and I both have studied history, the age of crusading is over, father we must focus on our primary goal, the creation of a Burgundian Kingdom." Charles attacked back. "I am a warrior perhaps even more than you and I know that crusading will do nothing except waste money and men." Philip was starting to counter but then a small child walked in. "Grandpapa, dad what are you two yelling about? It's really loud." A 5-year old Philip asked with tears in his eyes. Charles immediately rushed to his son's side and picked him up for a hug. "Dad and Grandpapa are deciding if we should go somewhere." Charles replied softly and began to rock him. "Can you two not go? I want you two to stay here." Philip pleaded. Philip the good began to soften as he looked at his grandchild's face. "Very well, I admit you are correct my son, but you better start pushing for those steps in that kingdom we both desire because right now, it looks like you are doing nothing except twiddle your thumbs." Philip stated before promptly leaving the room.

Charles began to think, now that his cousin was on the throne. Was it not time to fulfill that promise they had 5 years ago? He began to write to Louis XI of France, he finished the letter quickly and began to travel to Paris. Louis was sitting on his throne as his new cadre of advisors continued his vision and goals. The nobles were still very discontent especially the dukes of Bourbon and Brittany. He was already concerned as his brother was in Berry at the moment and his spies informed him that he was contacting the nobility. Suddenly, Charles, count of Charolais asked to be granted entry. He was intrigued after all it has been only a couple of months since he was last in Burgundy what could possibly have the heir come to his doorstep. He acknowledged Charles as Charles knelt and paid homage to him on behalf of himself and his father. He rose, "My king. I ask that we begin negotiations on the betrothal contract between my son and your daughter." Louis smiled, he would play one side off with the other a pittance for a lion's share is that not good enough for a king?

Teaser: He demanded the complete independence of the Duchy of Burgundy in exchange for his assistance. Louis could not accept that and came up with a clever idea.

Last edited:
    Character Study #2
  • Another character ideas:
    Charles, Duke of Berry: IOTL he was essentially a puppet figure but in this TL, I decided to make him much more aggressive and bold. He will be a main foil to Louis XI.
    Charles (the Bold): I have toned his fighting character down now that he and his father are both on the same side. (Butterflied the crusade thing honestly idk why Philip would want to crusade) He is much more diplomatic and careful. Unfortunately that means Louis has an easier time controlling him to do his bidding. Maybe his new name is Charles the Careful? idk
    Louis XI: I'm like hyping him up quite a bit. IOTL he got rid of Alencon, Anjou, Berry, Aquitaine and Normandy in quick succession. While he is still a manipulative bastard just like OTL he will be much more aggressive with the use of Force. After all, it's very easy when you have a friendly/idiotic burgundy to your east.

Last edited:
    Chapter 3: War of the Public Weal
  • "Louis XI of France only had two allies. The count of Charolais and the Duke of Milan that should speak to his genius in politics. He fought off English, Berry, Brittany, Bourbon, Lorraine, Nemours, Armagnac, Orleans, Albret, and Anjou. He fought them to a standstill then broke up the entire thing within a couple of years." -Paul Murray Kendall (He wrote about Louis the Spider. Great read y'all should read it)

February 21 1465, Paris, France
    Louis was now deeply concerned with his affairs of state. Charles his brother, Duke of Berry was demanding the duchy of Normandy or Aquitaine. Brittany, Bourbon, Lorraine, Armagnac simply wished to expand, while Nemours wanted a seat in government. His centralization reforms were working but now he must crush the rebellious nobles and to solidify his kingdom. How lucky he was when he negotiated the marriage between Anne and Philip. Charles demanded the complete independence of Burgundy for his assistance in the upcoming war but he was brilliant and increased the dowry price in crowns. (400,000 crowns for the marriage) and a promise of land after the defeat of the rebellious nobles. Charles who was cautious in his negotiations decided to accept reasoning that he was more powerful than the King and could extract land confessions later. He also secured an alliance with Milan when the war was to come.

Charles, Duke of Berry was in Bourges talking to the various nobles he was hosting. "Gentlemen, good afternoon, as you all know 4 years ago in this city our glorious king. Charles VII passed away. My elder brother Louis XI seized the throne claiming his birthright. Gentlemen, I am here to dispute that with all of you. Your rights and privileges have been seized by this false king! My father, exiled Louis and banished him from court. HE HAS NO RIGHT TO CLAIM THE THRONE. I ASK ALL OF YOU TO FOLLOW ME, YOUR RIGHTFUL KING CHARLES VIII!" A cheer began amongst the nobility however, quickly they began to disperse and head back to their own lands.

A month afterwards, the French nobility called Louis XI an impostor and demanded he give up the throne to his brother Charles VIII. Louis XI by the betrothal contract called Charles, count of Charolais, Milan and his remaining loyal nobles and his royal army and went to war. The English, under Edward IV began to secretly fund Charles giving money and arms to him in order to see his victory. Louis began to march south in order to stop the southern nobles under John II of Bourbon or known as the Scourge of the English. Charles who was in Bruges when he heard the news began to gather his forces and march south. Philip and Isabella asked him not to lead his armies personally as they have been travelling between the two Burgundies for quite a while. "I must do what is necessary to save you idiotic godfather." He simply replied to Isabella's and Philip's pleading.

His army began to march towards Nancy and faced off against John II of Lorraine. Both of their armies divided in three, Charles leading the left flank ordered a mass charge towards the Lorrainian right. The astonishing speed of both the arrival and charge threw Lorraine off balance in the right flank as its subsequent collapse. The centre and left who were disoriented at the speed of the charge began to collapse and flee. John sued for peace shortly after, and Louis gave him nothing but forced him out of the war. Charles seeing this victory and got no compensation was angry and told his confidante, "He better give me Champagne for saving his arse."

Charles of Berry, hearing news of the lightning quick defeat of Lorraine marched north from Bourges and met Charles, at Chatres. Charles looked at the battlefield knew the conditions were not favourable for a fight. A couple hundred kilometres away lies the Breton armies, they were exhausted and he knew he could crush them just as he had done in Lorraine but to his front lies Charles' armies fresh and ready to fight. If they united his forces would lose by numbers. Stupid Louis he thought, how could he miss the armies of the leader. He slammed his fist on the table in front of the map in front of his generals. We crush Charles and capture him immediately. We must end this rebellion now.

The battle began to ensue as the veteran Burgundian/Royalist army slammed into Charles' center. The fighting was fierce as both Charles were in the meat of it. The fighting quickly devolved into an all out slaughter. As the rebels slowly gave in to the Burgundians, a horn sounded signalling the arrival of the Breton armies. Francis II seeing that the battle already started shouted, "WE SHALL PROTECT THE KING! CHARGE!" The bretons eagerly rushed towards the Burgundian right flank. The Burgundian's believed that due to the war cry it was Louis's armies. How wrong they were. The Burgundian/Royalist army collapsed and fled. Charles riding away with no guard and a sole horse northwards towards Paris.

In the south, Louis XI had much more success defeating John at Roanne and then decisively crushed the Armagnac's near Brive-la-Galliarde. His royalist army which he remarked, "If there was one thing my father did correctly, it was the institution of a standing royalist army." He eventually forced a peace in the south forcing armagnac to give up Fezensac and Bourbon to cede Beaujeu. He also forced royalist officers to help "govern" the remaining counties and duchies. This complete victory was turned sour when he received news of the battle of Chatres. Hearing the news he angrily stated, "What use do I have for a powerful duke who could do nothing except lose?" He returned to Paris in a couple of months and negotiated the treaty of Conflans in which Charles would acknowledge Louis as King, Charles would exchange Berry for Normandy and Alencon. Francis would regain the royalist possessions in Brittany finally, Anjou would be granted Touraine.

Louis XI of France smiled at Charles' anger as he realized the dowry that Anne would receive. "BEAUJEU?!? YOU WOULD HAND ME BEAUJEU AFTER ALL I HAVE DONE FOR YOU?!?" Charles yelled in anger. "Do not disrespect your king, I have already given the 400,000 crowns and you gain Beaujeu. You cost me Normandy, Brittany, Anjou, Touraine and Alencon. If I wasn't as nice I wouldn't have given you any land at all." Louis replied coldly with a smile that showed no warmth. "And I have given you Nemours and Lorraine. I saved Paris from you by defending it until your army arrived!" Charles replied in anger. "I set the dowry, Charles. Per the treaty of Arras and our promise in Brussels you are obliged to accept. If you do not I will revoke Ponthieu from you and all the lands you have gained under that treaty." Louis replied with an even deadlier voice signalling his guards in case Charles drew his sword. Charles seeing the writing on the wall signed off on the paper confirming Anne and Philip's engagement and setting the marriage in 1476. Charles asked immediately to leave and return to his county and Louis granted it but not without one final remark, "You are a count, Charles be grateful that I granted you another lordship." Before beckoning his hand and forcing him to leave.

Teaser: "Look grandma! You look so pretty in this picture. Did you really look like this?" Philip eagerly asked.

Last edited:
    Character Study #3:
  • Charles the Careful: So this is like Charles' big character development. This is essentially what if he survived Nancy IOTL. He's traumatized, humiliated and defeated in battle. I still have plans for him so he's not dying anytime soon. He's going to go through the wringer when I'm done with him.
    Louis XI: I hope I did his spider character justice. He leaves Lorraine as a rival (albeit small) for Burgundy. Defeats the south completely giving him a new pillar of support while ensuring all of his rivals remain in the north west so they fight each other over control and he can swoop in and take it all. He also humiliates Charles and yes this is where I return to OTL and the rivalry between Charles and Louis starts.
    Charles, Duke of Normandy and Count of Alencon now: Really big changes compared to OTL. I want him to be a new version of Charles the Bold. Yes he will live longer and I still have plans with him.

Chapter 3.5 The Court of Philip the Good
  • "The court of Burgundy has always been extravagant ever since Philip the Bold became duke. It first was funded almost entirely by French finance but as we arrive towards the Era of the Three Dukes, it was funded by Burgundian money something the people are very proud of today." -Joseph Calmette (His books are a very good intro to the every Burgundian duke def worth a read if you are a Burgundian simp like me)

February 22 1461, Lille, Flanders

"And Perseus saved Andromeda with the Head of Medusa, he went to the King of A-ethio-pia, and asked for his daughter's hand in marriage, in which he was granted the hand. He then took Andromeda back to Serifos, where they would live happily ever after." Philip read to his mother. Isabella smiled brightly, "Look at you!" she squeezed Philip's cheeks. "You read it perfectly, my thunder." Isabella of Portugal walked in to this scene. Philip seeing her exclaimed, "Grandma!!!!" He looked at his mom asking to be let down from her lap, which she did. Philip rushed towards Isabella hugging her. "My sweet grandson, what has gotten you so excited to see me?" She replied as she scooped him up to return the hug. "Mom won't let me see you. I wanted to travel with you again." Philip replied with a frown. Isabella smiled, who knew her grandson would be such a joy in her life. She asked, "Well then, shall we go and explore?" Isabella asked. "Mom can we please?!?" Philip begged, Isabella smiled and took her son's hand. "Of course, let us go."

As Isabella showed her son around the village and the court there was one thing that Philip stopped to look. "Mom who is that?" Philip asked pointing to the portrait. Isabella was about to answer when she was interrupted, "That would be me, grandson." Philip the Good, entered in the room replying. "GRANDPAPA!" Philip rushed to his grandfather's side. Philip picked his grandson up just like his wife for a hug. "Why do you look so sad in the picture grandpapa?" Philip frowned, "I was smiling." Philip replied, "No, a smile is like this." Philip looked at his grandfather in the eyes and smiled with all of his teeth showing. Philip smiled at his grandson's happiness. "See now that's a smile!" Philip exclaimed pointing at his grandfather interrupting the latter's thoughts. "Your grandson is correct you know?" Isabella of Portugal replied smacking Philip's arm. Philip replied back with equal sarcasm, "Looks like he's got you wrapped around his finger, and it's our grandson." Isabella of Bourbon took her son back and continued showing the boy the portraits. Philip and Isabella continued their mocking quarrel until Philip exclaimed, "Look grandma! You look so pretty in this picture! Is that really you?!?" Isabella looked at the portrait of herself. She always thought of it as too extravagant but was glad that her grandson approved of her portrait.

"My thunder, would you like to look like your grandfather and grandmother?" Isabella asked, "Can I?" He asked his grandparents with puppy eyes. "Of course my grandson, you have earned it." Philip tried on a very similar look to his grandfather which fit him personally however he didn't have any jewelry on him which disappointed Philip the Good. "My grandson where is your necklace?" Philip frowned, "It was too big and I didn't like it." Philip bent down towards Philip's eye level. "Why is that?" he asked with genuine curiosity. "I think I should wear something simpler like dad." Philip replied pointing to his father's portrait. Philip looked at the portrait, his son only wearing the collar of the Golden Fleece because he didn't earn the fire steels yet. Charles was irritated that he couldn't wear it back then but now, Philip didn't want to? "Grandpapa can I wear that?"He asked breaking Philip's thoughts as his grandson pointed towards the necklace right beside Isabella's portrait. It was a simple albeit expensive cross. Philip decided to place it on his grandson's neck completing the look. Philip smiled beautifully, as all the members in the room wished that a portrait was drawn of that moment.

Teaser: It was in this sombre mood, that Charles, count of Charolais became Charles I, Duke of Burgundy.

Last edited:
    Character Study #4
  • Isabella of Bourbon: I know I haven't shown much of a romance side between her and Charles, I wish I wrote a prequel about their love it would be fun, but I'm focusing rn on the relationship between her and her son. If you don't know the reason why her nickname for her son was my little thunder. Legend has it that Mary was born with a thunderclap so I thought that was a good nickname cause Philip is Mary at this point.
    Isabella of Portugal: Yes, she is still in love with her husband right now, but as we can see she cherishes her grandson a lot more. She still has an important role to play especially considering the next couple of chapters that focus on Charles the Careful.
    Philip the Good: His cold statesman persona has melted in front of his grandson. (I would as well tbh) We will definitely see him play a larger role soon after all, his son's world is going to collapse after 1465.

Extra 1: The return of the Queen of France
  • July 17 1461, Genappe, Brabant

Charlotte of Savoy, wife of Louis of Dauphiné was quite pissed off at her husband. Only two months ago, she gave birth to her most treasured daughter, Anne. Now her husband, was rushing towards Reims to be crowned King of France, while she was grieving for the death of three of her children by herself much to her anger. She was currently in Bruges with her host, Isabella of Bourbon. "Charlotte, are you alright?" Isabella asked always in concern while 5 year old Philip was looking on with keen and curious eyes towards baby Anne who was currently asleep. Charlotte was incredibly grateful to her Burgundian hosts especially Isabella whom was one of her few friends while in exile. "My husband abandoned me to secure his inheritance, I am his wife and he decides to rush to Reims without me." Charlotte replied in deep sorrow and anger. Isabella comforted her with a hug. "My husband will be more than happy to provide you with an entourage and carriage to reach Reims." Isabella replied in sympathy. Charlotte nodded in gratitude once again, Isabella was her one and only saving grace throughout Burgundy. She has lost so many children and yet Isabella not Louis would be the one comforting her. She was quite jealous seeing baby Philip grow up while her children died but if anyone deserved watching their children grow up it would be Isabella. Bless her soul she thought.

As she and her daughter began to ride back to France, Isabella and Charles were there to see her off. Isabella hugged Charlotte one last time before her departure. Charles spoke to her at length assuring her that her presence would be missed back in Burgundy and encouraged her to carry herself with the pride and dignity she had as Queen of France, while baby Philip hugged Charlotte one time as he realized that he was saying goodbye to his "Aunt". As she rode off, back into France, she knew she would miss her time in Burgundy and fate would have it that she would miss it even more throughout her time as Queen of France.

Teaser: She was outraged over what Louis said, how dare she, the Queen of France be imprisoned in a Chateau?!?

Last edited:
    Character Study #5
  • Charlotte of Savoy:
    History doesn't give me much to work off of in Charlotte of Savoy, which is both a good and bad thing because giving me too much freedom is going to cause some major writing issues (copium will save this TL trust) in the future. Right now, I want to write her like her husband, vengeful and angry at her weakness but it's against Louis not her exile.
    Anne of Beaujeu and Philip of Burgundy:
    YES I FINALLY WROTE THE FIRST SCENE BETWEEN THE TWO (AHHHHHHH :D) I will note one of them is 2 months old the other is a five year old. However, I really do want establish Philip as a golden child right now. (I will not spoil Anne's character yet)
    Isabella of Bourbon:
    History does give me a little to work with but I already love her as a character. I know that she is a bit of a background character in terms of the Burgundian state but I really wanted to wove her as the joy in people's lives. She's so much fun to write as.
    Charles the Careful:
    This extra has Charles in a very minor role but his actions have consequences here I'll tell you that much.

Last edited:
    Extra 2: How to cocoon a Queen of France
  • November 15 1461, Amboise, France.

As Charlotte laid in bed, ill from her sickness. She began to think over the thoughts she had in Burgundy. Isabella, her beloved friend was far away in Burgundy. She was staying right now in the Chateau of Amboise in the Loire Valley. Charles had told her to raise her head high as she was the queen of France but now she lay low slowly recovering from her sickness. She wondered if she could follow his advice, and act like her mother. Back then she wanted nothing to do with her but now as she realized her fate and her sickness she wondered if she could change something.

Charlotte began to embroider within her halls as baby Anne began to play around. She smiled at her daughter playfulness. She prayed to the Lord for Anne to live a long and happy life. Her little quiet household was something that she relished in, as she continued to embroider but the words of Charles began to haunt her after all, it has been a couple of months since she has recovered and she has already written to her husband asking to return to court, while she wasn't willing to return to politics she did wish to enjoy the pleasures and extravagance of Burgundy once again this time in Paris.

"You are to remain in Amboise until I call for your return." Charlotte crumpled the letter in anger. She was outraged by what Louis wrote to her, how dare she, the Queen of France be imprisoned in a Chateau?!? She only wished for her return to Paris, and to see her husband what was wrong with that?!? How saddening it was to see the martial relationship between Louis and Charlotte devolve as Louis wished to keep her in the Chateau to prevent her from being manipulated by his enemies but by doing so he made his own wife his enemy.

Teaser: Charlotte and Charles greeted each other once again in Paris, Charles apologizing profusely that Isabella could not be here to reunite with her.

Last edited:
    Character Analysis #1
  • THAT'S RIGHT A COMPLETE CHARACTER ANALYSIS HERE WE GO:
    Charlotte of Savoy:
    Charlotte is someone who had possibly the worst fate of all time and still accepted it. She married someone 20 years her senior. She lost three of her children very early on and was "abandoned" in Burgundy when Louis returned to rush to France. She is someone who was deeply traditional believing it was her responsibility to raise her children (particularly her daughters) well and to partake in traditional things like embroidery. She also really enjoyed the arts leaving behind a huge manuscript with her death. This doesn't give me much to work off of especially considering her life and how she raised her children was shrouded in mystery but we do know that her isolation was intentional and to Louis it was to protect her.

I personally interpreted her acceptance and silence as to contrast her from her mother who was quite into state politics at the time. She just didn't want to be her mom you know? I did say Charles' impact on the story is quite huge. I went with some historians interpretation in which Louis didn't order Charlotte to pick a ride from Isabella, just that he abandoned her, but I also believed in the whole protecting thing if only to remove her from his enemies. The real butterflies here are not Charlotte's admiration for the Burgundian Court, but Charles' last interaction with her in Burgundy. After all, both Charlotte and Charles believed in that their positions had standards so they should meet them. Charlotte at this point, still despises politics but wishes to be treated like a queen.

Charlotte is going to be quite a difficult character to write, as I do not want to ruin her OTL history completely as that is how we are going to get Charles VIII and Anne of Beaujeu. I have a story to tell with her, she will be my masterpiece in terms of character arcs until I get to Anne and Philip properly. (Cause Philip, I just written him as a golden boy nothing more yet) I still do not have a conclusion for her, I'm on the fence to see her succeed in her journey.

Extra 3: The Siege of Paris
  • February 25 1465, Paris, France

Charlotte watched over the city walls, she was back in Paris and she was deeply disappointed in the court there. Louis did not run a grand court like his cousin in Burgundy. She was after all only here because of his summons and she found the city in chaos. She asked around the court the reason why the city was in chaos. They granted her a reply in which a civil war was ongoing between Louis and his nobles. Charlotte looked on as she heard news of the stunning Burgundian Victory at Lorraine. She wanted to see Isabella again.

Charlotte was once again at the gate tower, she enjoyed her life as a queen, even in times of war she thought the responsibility and freedom was a welcome change in pace compared to her solitude in Amboise. Her thoughts suddenly broke when she saw a small group ride with a Burgundian banner tattered raised. The guards immediately asked who was it. "Charles, count of Charolais, I ask that you let me in!" Charles shouted. Charlotte ordered the guards to let him in as she rushed down to greet him. Charlotte and Charles greeted each other once again in Paris, Charles apologizing profusely that Isabella could not be here to reunite with her. "Charles, what happened?" She asked in shock as she looked at him covered in grime and blood. "You didn't have to rush down her, my queen. I told you to keep your head high not run fast." Charles replied in a fit of laughter. Charlotte slapped in mock anger, "Answer Charles." she answered firmly but with a smile. "I lost at Chatres and now we must prepare for a siege and pray for your husband's return." Charles replied in sorrow.

As Charles VIII began to siege Paris, one could see that it was already over as Louis arrived with a royal army that outnumbered Charles. He soon abandoned the siege and Charles greeted his liege once again. Louis asked, "How did they get to Paris?" Charles replied, "The bretons showed up at Chatres and attacked me from behind, if only you were there my liege and fought them off we would not be here in Paris." Louis scowled, "You are the first peer of the realm how could you not defeat the enemies of France?!?" Charles apologized. Charlotte watched the exchange with slight irritation, however the next words would piss her off even more. "Charlotte, my queen. I ask that you return to Ambroise after I defeat the rest of the rebels." Louis asked, Charlotte was livid and enraged while Charles watched on in horror. "I HAVE JUST RETURNED TO COURT, AND YOU DARE SUGGEST I BE BANISHED ONCE AGAIN?!?" She screamed. "My enemies, will not hestitate to use you and your inexperience to better off themselves." Louis calmly replied. Already he has heard rumours that Charles and Charlotte were secretly lovers, the only reason he dismissed them was that he has seen how Charles eyed his wife Isabella. Louis beckoned his hand, asking Charles to leave. Charles reluctantly left as he wished to recover from the stress of his loss at Chatres. Charlotte and Louis began to argue once again, and finally Charlotte capitulated and she went back to Charles to be consoled.

Charles consoled her with ideas of a separate court, and words of comfort that Louis would be persuaded to ask her to return after she realizes that she wasn't inexperienced. Charles spend some more days with Charlotte and baby Anne, remarking, "She will make a fine wife for my Philip." Charlotte agreed, "I wish for her to experience the same pleasures in Burgundy that I have done in my exile." Charles soon was called in front of Louis' court to discuss the engagement and Charlotte was not invited instead ordered to leave Paris, which she did with thoughts of revenge after this humiliating betrayal from Louis.

Teaser: As Charlotte screamed at Louis' messengers begging to not have her son taken from her. She was forcefully removed from holding her son as he was taken away. All while Anne watched in horror in the peephole to the door.

Last edited:
    Character Study #6
  • Louis XI of France: Humanizing him is such an arduous task. I want his weakness and insecurity to be shown in full force as that's why he's called the spider king. He wanted to make France strong. I thought it would be a good idea of the whole keep her away for her security as a good way of showing that he is indeed somewhat human. He does
    "love" his wife, although I would argue as it was more toxic self-love.
    Charles the Careful: That defeat at Chatres has changed him quite a bit hasn't it? He's now far more humble however, he is still quite friendly with both Louis and Charlotte. His story will be continued in Chapter 4 but I like how his character is progressing so far. (Yes he still is someone who is Charlotte's motivation/coach)

Chapter 4: The death of Isabella of Bourbon
  • "Philip the Fair, not much was known before his marriage to Anne the Warrior, what little we do know was that he was very close to his mother, Isabella of Bourbon (the Kind). At the age of 8 losing a mother would be hard, history says it hit the boy even harder since the family of Charles the Careful was very close to each other." -Random Historian (Ran out of authors sorry ;-; )

September 25, 1465, Antwerp, Brabant

Isabella held Charles hand tightly. "My love." she coughed before continuing, seeing both Philip's and Charles' eyes in tears she knew she didn't have much time left. "Do not cry for my death, god has willed it so." Philip cried harder, "Mom, don't go please stay here with me and dad." Isabella looked him in the eyes and wiped his tears before continuing, "My love, I will await you in front of the Lord, fulfill your dreams of becoming king, do not let me drag you behind and raise our son well. Let him enjoy the full life of a prince that I could never give him." Isabella continued, Charles with tears in his eyes. "I promised to make you a queen all those years ago, please don't leave until I fulfill that promise." Charles replied shaking. "You have already treated me like a queen. That's all I could ask for." Isabella closed her eyes one last time as the life and breath from her faded away.
    "MOM! MOM!" Philip screamed as Charles cried over the death of his wife. Isabella of Bourbon is dead and Charles, count of Charolais is a widower. Charles immediately rushed to Philip hugging him and prying him away from Isabella. Philip screamed, "DAD LET ME STAY!" Charles softly replied, "She is watching us from above now my thunder. Let us grieve properly like the princes we are."

The funeral and tomb was elaborate and extravagant just like any Burgundian event. Philip was still crying beside his father. Charles was already in tears as hugged his son over her mother's death. Isabella of Portugal, and Philip the Good attended the funeral as the death of Isabella of Bourbon stopped their fighting for now. Recently, as Philip the Good health began to decline he still wished to remain in power as he sought a friendly relationship with France considering the latter's partial funding of the former but ever since the betrayal at Paris. Isabella began to argue against Philip in order to secure her son's position and not to bound him to whatever he wishes. They reconciled on the funeral as Charles continued to mourn her death.

Philip summoned Charles, "My son, I have been too harsh on your blunder at Paris, it appears the Lord has already judged you enough by taking your wife away." Philip said in a solemn tone. Charles who could not speak as he was still too shocked by her death nodded ever so slightly. "I am growing old, you and I both know, I am not the duke I was years ago. I have already confirmed with the estates, within a week you shall be made Duke of Burgundy and your son, Count of Charolais." Philip continued, Charles looked up towards him, "Father..." Charles began to respond, Philip shushed him, "My son, it is high time for you to take the reins of our fledging 'kingdom'. Your mistake at Paris made me realize that France especially under Louis can not be trusted like I trusted when Charles was King. The world is changing, and you know it best so rule as high as you said when you told me your ambitions as duke." Philip finished, watching Charles' response. "I will take the reins, I have already lost so much as Count of Charolais, perhaps the lord will be more fortunate with the Duke of Burgundy." Charles replied, with Philip smiling. "Let the lord bless our great duchy."

Charles arrived at Bruges in the sombre mood. The coronation passed incredibly quickly to him as he was no longer Charles, count of Charolais. He was now Charles I, Duke of Burgundy. The estates cheered and clapped but he was still in a sombre mood, his son Philip, now Philip of Charolais didn't even smile. Charles finished the coronation and took Philip back into the castle. "Philip, I'm sorry." Charles apologized as soon as they arrived. Philip met his apology with silence until he spoke, "Dad, remember when me and mom asked you to stay? Why didn't you stay?" Philip asked in a whisper. Charles hugged him harder, "I made a mistake, I placed my ambitions ahead of you and mom. I will never do that again. I promise." Charles replied with shakiness and sorrow. Philip continued to cry, for the world lost its colour to him when his mother perished from Tuberculosis.

Teaser 1: "You promised that you would not put your ambition ahead of me!" Philip yelled in anger,
    Teaser 2: Louis grew in jealousy and admiration when he heard of the new court of Charlotte, Queen of France.

Last edited:
    Character Study #7
  • Charles the Careful: HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA I KILLED ISABELLA YESSSSSS. As I have said I would continue Charles' sorrow so killing Isabella of Bourbon is obviously a natural step in the right direction to change him. I always thought he was far too arrogant and hot-headed so I really wanted to shoot him down like a lot because the dude was talented but his arrogance was just too much for me. + A lot of TLs don't have him grow either he's dead or he becomes even more arrogant after winning another battle.
    Philip IV of Burgundy: So goes the golden boy LOL, I have a story to write regarding him and yes watching all of you love Philip as a golden boy and then going to see all of you in shock after Isabella's death is too good XD. His story will be a classic story of finding love heh.

Character Analysis #2
  • Isabella of Bourbon: History writes her as a very minor character here. She is someone who was forced to marry Charles but they had a happy albeit quiet marriage. Charles wouldn't necessarily neglect Isabella unlike Louis to Charlotte but he was a bit of a dick IOTL. He wasn't there at Mary's birth and she died alone by herself.

In this TL their marriage a tad warmer so that's why Charles is with Isabella when she gave birth. Her education to Philip will be a little but it will be quite helpful in the future. Again with the butterflies of the whole delay for Charles to hate Louis. The friendship that Charlotte had with Isabella is going to change a lot of things going forward already she's becoming a bit of a rebel.

I loved writing her as a character, but I always knew she would die. It was essential for continuing the narrative/character driven story I have written for the Burgundian state. She was also one of my most static characters, the other one being Louis XI, but I made this one intentional as I wanted her to be a catalyst for change not a character that will change. She is one of my favourite people to write and her death and eventual reunion with Charles will have an impact later.

Last edited:
    Chapter 4.5: The Court of Queens
  • "Queen Charlotte of Savoy, is notable for two things her imprisonment and subsequent creation of a court in Amboise." -Anonymous Historian (Running out of historians to leech off of)

March 22, 1466, Amboise, France
    Charlotte was devastated when she returned to this castle, Louis banished her from Paris and forced her to return to Amboise. She wept over this humiliation while Anne who was four tried her best to cheer her up which it no doubt did, but then she heard the news, Isabella of Bourbon has passed away in Burgundy. She couldn't attend the funeral as Louis forbid her from attending. She cried even harder with her loss of her friend. She prayed for Charles and Philip to recover and move on from her death. Charlotte was completely shaken by her friend's death, yes she died happy and with a loving husband and son but what about she? Anne, bless her soul was already quite concerned for her as she started to cry to when she did. It was only four years ago that she nearly died due to a fever. She knew she had to fulfill her dreams and destiny. She would follow what Charles' advice and create her own court, right here in Amboise.

Charlotte continued playing chess against her eldest Anne, her while Joan her youngest daughter was still sleeping in the crib. Anne moved her queen and placing it on g8 checkmating Charlotte much to her shock and pride. She lifted her daughter up in her arms and exclaimed, "You won!!!!" Spinning her around in the air much to Anne's joy. She then gently let her daughter down the door as she then asked her daughter if she wished to see her new works for her court. Anne always curious and eager agreed, as Charlotte and Anne explored the new expansions to her library and her ever expanding art collection. It was a lonely court but one that steadily growing in popularity as King Louis seeing it as not only a way to appease his wife but also help increase his prestige ever since the war of the Public Weal, he would continue to fund this steadily growing court while he stayed in Paris scheming for greater glory.

Charlotte relished in this newfound enjoyment and excitement in her life, her new flourishing court was now something she was proud of. Nowhere near the absolute glory that was the Burgundian court but it was something to be talked about in France. Even her cold-blooded husband visited her a couple of times remarking how amazed he was at this court and now he was returning once again. Louis XI arrived at the court and growing ever in admiration and jealousy of his wife, Queen Charlotte of France and how she managed this court. Wife and husband greeted each other with only a hint of fondness as Charlotte showed off the new additions she made in the court while Louis continued to interact with various nobles trying to appease them and regain their approval. Anne on the other hand was becoming quite the little genius, already her fascination with manuscripts and chess has caught the eye of Charlotte as she was now her pride and joy, teaching her everything she would know and promoting an aggressive streak within her.

Teaser: "HE IS NOTHING BUT A POWERHUNGRY TYRANT MY FATHER RECOGNIZED THAT AND THAT IS WHY HE NAMED ME KING, CHARLOTTE YOU KNOW THIS TO BE TRUE." Charlotte walked away.

Last edited:
    Character Study #8
  • Charlotte of Savoy: I wanted to give her a positive note for the time being. Do not worry her story still continues.
    Anne of Beaujeu: Our first child scene with her, she's already proving herself as a fierce and cunning warrior heh.
    Louis XI of France: I think I humanized him somewhat? Hopefully I did, still trying to go for the toxic love angle not sure if I captured it yet.

Last edited:
    Chapter 5: I will not have another William the Bastard
  • "Louis' spidery antics were on full display during and after the war of the Public Weal, and it was completely to his credit after all, imprisoning and stripping his brother of Normandy, Anjou, and Brittany from him is only something Louis could ever do." -Historian

August 21, 1467, Paris, France.

Louis smiled in satisfaction, a border dispute occurred between Rene, Duke of Anjou, Charles Duke of Normandy and Francis II, Duke of Brittany soon he will bring his royal army into those lands and settle their disputes and seize all of it for himself. The northwest lands and Burgundy were the only lands that were not almost under his complete authority. He had gained so much in his 6 years as king. He did not have an heir yet but he was sure to have one soon with his wife Charlotte. He had completely dismantled his enemies in the south leaving only the count of Albret with only a whiff of power in those lands. Now with this golden opportunity, he could seize the northwest and then focus on Burgundy once and for all.

Charles at the head of his Norman army marched against his former ally, Francis. With encouragement and support from both Burgundy and England he decided it would be better to bring both Brittany and Anjou under his belt rather than leave it to his allies. Rene and Francis met them in battle. He remembered this situation quite well back in Chatres when he was on the opposite side and he defeated Charles. He could not worry too much about it now. He would fight and defeat both of these fools. He was in the same position like the Burgundians but unlike him he would not fail. He ordered a charge, "Let us achieve eternal glory men CHARGE!" Charles led his armies against Francis and routed them sending the Breton duke in flight while the Angevins just arriving seeing the slaughter about to die down decided to join in and Charles ever the warrior rallied his men against the Angevins defeating them too in quick succession.

Louis sat on his guest throne in Amboise, he was very intrigued with the developments happening to his north. Charlotte was busy with Anne and Joan which he was confused in why but Francis and Rene were kneeling in front of him currently. "Rise my subjects, I will deal with my overzealous and rebellious vassal." Louis commanded as his smile grew. Now he would completely defeat his brother and seize all of the Northwest. Charles was soon captured in battle in massacre near Angers. Louis immediately forced a new peace at Caen with Rene and Francis. Louis gained back his territories in Brittany and Touraine. He stripped Normandy and Alencon from Charles and had him imprisoned in Paris.
    Charlotte of Savoy walked through the remote castle, as Charles sat in a chair eating what can only be described as meagre meal. Charles beckoned Charlotte to have a seat, "Must your husband humiliate me even more? Now he brings his wife whom he neglects to host me." Charles stated in anger. "Not that I am against having you here, my Queen." Charlotte stared at him blankly, "I came here of my own accord, Charles." she stated with conviction. "And do tell, what can a queen of France have to do with little old me?" Charles asked in curiosity. "I have shown Louis that I am not someone new and inexperienced in court, why will he not have me return to Paris?" Charlotte asked, "My brother is known as the universal spider, it is only fair that he would seclude you, to him you are just but a tool used only for his heirs and alliance with Savoy. Why do you think he had me imprisoned even though I gave him the Northwest for free?" Charles exclaimed in anger. "HE IS NOTHING BUT A POWERHUNGRY TYRANT MY FATHER RECOGNIZED THAT AND THAT IS WHY HE NAMED ME KING, CHARLOTTE YOU KNOW THIS TO BE TRUE." Charlotte walked away, Charles clearly was going mad, and she placed those words in the back of her mind. She wished to be in Burgundy again, with Isabella, Charles and when Louis was more present in her life. She returned to see Anne reading a book on military strategy. "Mom!" She exclaimed, placing the book down and hugging her mother. She smiled, she knew her eldest would make her proud.

Teaser 1: She returned to Paris in with gleeful joy, only to realize even though she was at the centre of things, the spotlight would be on Louis and Louis only.