Kingdom-Building: A Valois-Bourgogne TL

Should I create a smallish chapter dedicated to the normal life of Burgundy or the Burgundian Court?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Franco-Austrian relations, if France is weak and struggling to throw Burgundy off would it make sense for them to ally Austria?
Absolutely.
English/Burgundian relations, does Charles begin his policy of anti-French relations?
Gotta make alliances! go with the english!
Spanish/Burgundian relations, Burgundy had practically 0 relations with the Spanish but when the union begins will Spain view France as an ally or a rival?
Another ally in spain for burgundy

Extra 1: The return of the Queen of France
July 17 1461, Genappe, Brabant

Charlotte of Savoy, wife of Louis of Dauphiné was quite pissed off at her husband. Only two months ago, she gave birth to her most treasured daughter, Anne. Now her husband, was rushing towards Reims to be crowned King of France, while she was grieving for the death of three of her children by herself much to her anger. She was currently in Bruges with her host, Isabella of Bourbon. "Charlotte, are you alright?" Isabella asked always in concern while 5 year old Philip was looking on with keen and curious eyes towards baby Anne who was currently asleep. Charlotte was incredibly grateful to her Burgundian hosts especially Isabella whom was one of her few friends while in exile. "My husband abandoned me to secure his inheritance, I am his wife and he decides to rush to Reims without me." Charlotte replied in deep sorrow and anger. Isabella comforted her with a hug. "My husband will be more than happy to provide you with an entourage and carriage to reach Reims." Isabella replied in sympathy. Charlotte nodded in gratitude once again, Isabella was her one and only saving grace throughout Burgundy. She has lost so many children and yet Isabella not Louis would be the one comforting her. She was quite jealous seeing baby Philip grow up while her children died but if anyone deserved watching their children grow up it would be Isabella. Bless her soul she thought.

As she and her daughter began to ride back to France, Isabella and Charles were there to see her off. Isabella hugged Charlotte one last time before her departure. Charles spoke to her at length assuring her that her presence would be missed back in Burgundy and encouraged her to carry herself with the pride and dignity she had as Queen of France, while baby Philip hugged Charlotte one time as he realized that he was saying goodbye to his "Aunt". As she rode off, back into France, she knew she would miss her time in Burgundy and fate would have it that she would miss it even more throughout her time as Queen of France.

Teaser: She was outraged over what Louis said, how dare she, the Queen of France be imprisoned in a Chateau?!?

Last edited:
Another short "chapter". I feel really bad for not focusing on Louis' return to France enough. So like I'll be posting about the years of 1461-1465 for a bit under extras. This also gives me time to plan out Chapter 4, and flesh out Charlotte of Savoy and the world of France in general. (This also gives me the tools to get motivation on Anne of Beaujeu and it makes Isabella of Bourbon look good heh)

Last edited:
Character Study #5
Charlotte of Savoy:
History doesn't give me much to work off of in Charlotte of Savoy, which is both a good and bad thing because giving me too much freedom is going to cause some major writing issues (copium will save this TL trust) in the future. Right now, I want to write her like her husband, vengeful and angry at her weakness but it's against Louis not her exile.
Anne of Beaujeu and Philip of Burgundy:
YES I FINALLY WROTE THE FIRST SCENE BETWEEN THE TWO (AHHHHHHH :D) I will note one of them is 2 months old the other is a five year old. However, I really do want establish Philip as a golden child right now. (I will not spoil Anne's character yet)
Isabella of Bourbon:
History does give me a little to work with but I already love her as a character. I know that she is a bit of a background character in terms of the Burgundian state but I really wanted to wove her as the joy in people's lives. She's so much fun to write as.
Charles the Careful:
This extra has Charles in a very minor role but his actions have consequences here I'll tell you that much.

Last edited:
Charlotte of Savoy:
History doesn't give me much to work off of in Charlotte of Savoy, which is both a good and bad thing because giving me too much freedom is going to cause some major writing issues (copium will save this TL trust) in the future. Right now, I want to write her like her husband, vengeful and angry at her weakness but it's against Louis not her exile.
Anne of Beaujeu and Philip of Burgundy:
YES I FINALLY WROTE THE FIRST SCENE BETWEEN THE TWO (AHHHHHHH :D) I will note one of them is 2 months old the other is a five year old. However, I really do want establish Philip as a golden child right now. (I will not spoil Anne's character yet)
Isabella of Bourbon:
History does give me a little to work with but I already love her as a character. I know that she is a bit of a background character in terms of the Burgundian state but I really wanted to wove her as the joy in people's lives. She's so much fun to write as.
Charles the Careful:
This extra has Charles in a very minor role but his actions have consequences here I'll tell you that much.

Poor Charlotte of Savoy, she was stuck with a bastard for a husband who treated her like crap.

I don't want to draw from @BlueFlowwer and their amazing portrayal of Isabella of Burgundy and her return to Burgundy. On the other hand I also don't want to extend her life and have her as an Isabeau of Bavaria type as she fights off the regents for control of her son. I don't know what I want to do with her yet. I'll think it over and please give some ideas for her. I have a story written for her but I don't have a conclusion yet.

Extra 2: How to cocoon a Queen of France
November 15 1461, Amboise, France.

As Charlotte laid in bed, ill from her sickness. She began to think over the thoughts she had in Burgundy. Isabella, her beloved friend was far away in Burgundy. She was staying right now in the Chateau of Amboise in the Loire Valley. Charles had told her to raise her head high as she was the queen of France but now she lay low slowly recovering from her sickness. She wondered if she could follow his advice, and act like her mother. Back then she wanted nothing to do with her but now as she realized her fate and her sickness she wondered if she could change something.

Charlotte began to embroider within her halls as baby Anne began to play around. She smiled at her daughter playfulness. She prayed to the Lord for Anne to live a long and happy life. Her little quiet household was something that she relished in, as she continued to embroider but the words of Charles began to haunt her after all, it has been a couple of months since she has recovered and she has already written to her husband asking to return to court, while she wasn't willing to return to politics she did wish to enjoy the pleasures and extravagance of Burgundy once again this time in Paris.

"You are to remain in Amboise until I call for your return." Charlotte crumpled the letter in anger. She was outraged by what Louis wrote to her, how dare she, the Queen of France be imprisoned in a Chateau?!? She only wished for her return to Paris, and to see her husband what was wrong with that?!? How saddening it was to see the martial relationship between Louis and Charlotte devolve as Louis wished to keep her in the Chateau to prevent her from being manipulated by his enemies but by doing so he made his own wife his enemy.

Teaser: Charlotte and Charles greeted each other once again in Paris, Charles apologizing profusely that Isabella could not be here to reunite with her.

Last edited:
Character Analysis #1
THAT'S RIGHT A COMPLETE CHARACTER ANALYSIS HERE WE GO:
Charlotte of Savoy:
Charlotte is someone who had possibly the worst fate of all time and still accepted it. She married someone 20 years her senior. She lost three of her children very early on and was "abandoned" in Burgundy when Louis returned to rush to France. She is someone who was deeply traditional believing it was her responsibility to raise her children (particularly her daughters) well and to partake in traditional things like embroidery. She also really enjoyed the arts leaving behind a huge manuscript with her death. This doesn't give me much to work off of especially considering her life and how she raised her children was shrouded in mystery but we do know that her isolation was intentional and to Louis it was to protect her.

I personally interpreted her acceptance and silence as to contrast her from her mother who was quite into state politics at the time. She just didn't want to be her mom you know? I did say Charles' impact on the story is quite huge. I went with some historians interpretation in which Louis didn't order Charlotte to pick a ride from Isabella, just that he abandoned her, but I also believed in the whole protecting thing if only to remove her from his enemies. The real butterflies here are not Charlotte's admiration for the Burgundian Court, but Charles' last interaction with her in Burgundy. After all, both Charlotte and Charles believed in that their positions had standards so they should meet them. Charlotte at this point, still despises politics but wishes to be treated like a queen.

Charlotte is going to be quite a difficult character to write, as I do not want to ruin her OTL history completely as that is how we are going to get Charles VIII and Anne of Beaujeu. I have a story to tell with her, she will be my masterpiece in terms of character arcs until I get to Anne and Philip properly. (Cause Philip, I just written him as a golden boy nothing more yet) I still do not have a conclusion for her, I'm on the fence to see her succeed in her journey.

I have one more extra I have to write about Charlotte and then we go back into the main story of Charles and his sorrow XD (As hinted, Charles and Charlotte will reunite) And no her story will not end there with only three extras, she will go through quite a bit.

Extra 3: The Siege of Paris
February 25 1465, Paris, France

Charlotte watched over the city walls, she was back in Paris and she was deeply disappointed in the court there. Louis did not run a grand court like his cousin in Burgundy. She was after all only here because of his summons and she found the city in chaos. She asked around the court the reason why the city was in chaos. They granted her a reply in which a civil war was ongoing between Louis and his nobles. Charlotte looked on as she heard news of the stunning Burgundian Victory at Lorraine. She wanted to see Isabella again.

Charlotte was once again at the gate tower, she enjoyed her life as a queen, even in times of war she thought the responsibility and freedom was a welcome change in pace compared to her solitude in Amboise. Her thoughts suddenly broke when she saw a small group ride with a Burgundian banner tattered raised. The guards immediately asked who was it. "Charles, count of Charolais, I ask that you let me in!" Charles shouted. Charlotte ordered the guards to let him in as she rushed down to greet him. Charlotte and Charles greeted each other once again in Paris, Charles apologizing profusely that Isabella could not be here to reunite with her. "Charles, what happened?" She asked in shock as she looked at him covered in grime and blood. "You didn't have to rush down her, my queen. I told you to keep your head high not run fast." Charles replied in a fit of laughter. Charlotte slapped in mock anger, "Answer Charles." she answered firmly but with a smile. "I lost at Chatres and now we must prepare for a siege and pray for your husband's return." Charles replied in sorrow.

As Charles VIII began to siege Paris, one could see that it was already over as Louis arrived with a royal army that outnumbered Charles. He soon abandoned the siege and Charles greeted his liege once again. Louis asked, "How did they get to Paris?" Charles replied, "The bretons showed up at Chatres and attacked me from behind, if only you were there my liege and fought them off we would not be here in Paris." Louis scowled, "You are the first peer of the realm how could you not defeat the enemies of France?!?" Charles apologized. Charlotte watched the exchange with slight irritation, however the next words would piss her off even more. "Charlotte, my queen. I ask that you return to Ambroise after I defeat the rest of the rebels." Louis asked, Charlotte was livid and enraged while Charles watched on in horror. "I HAVE JUST RETURNED TO COURT, AND YOU DARE SUGGEST I BE BANISHED ONCE AGAIN?!?" She screamed. "My enemies, will not hestitate to use you and your inexperience to better off themselves." Louis calmly replied. Already he has heard rumours that Charles and Charlotte were secretly lovers, the only reason he dismissed them was that he has seen how Charles eyed his wife Isabella. Louis beckoned his hand, asking Charles to leave. Charles reluctantly left as he wished to recover from the stress of his loss at Chatres. Charlotte and Louis began to argue once again, and finally Charlotte capitulated and she went back to Charles to be consoled.

Charles consoled her with ideas of a separate court, and words of comfort that Louis would be persuaded to ask her to return after she realizes that she wasn't inexperienced. Charles spend some more days with Charlotte and baby Anne, remarking, "She will make a fine wife for my Philip." Charlotte agreed, "I wish for her to experience the same pleasures in Burgundy that I have done in my exile." Charles soon was called in front of Louis' court to discuss the engagement and Charlotte was not invited instead ordered to leave Paris, which she did with thoughts of revenge after this humiliating betrayal from Louis.

Teaser: As Charlotte screamed at Louis' messengers begging to not have her son taken from her. She was forcefully removed from holding her son as he was taken away. All while Anne watched in horror in the peephole to the door.

Last edited:
Character Study #6
Louis XI of France: Humanizing him is such an arduous task. I want his weakness and insecurity to be shown in full force as that's why he's called the spider king. He wanted to make France strong. I thought it would be a good idea of the whole keep her away for her security as a good way of showing that he is indeed somewhat human. He does
"love" his wife, although I would argue as it was more toxic self-love.
Charles the Careful: That defeat at Chatres has changed him quite a bit hasn't it? He's now far more humble however, he is still quite friendly with both Louis and Charlotte. His story will be continued in Chapter 4 but I like how his character is progressing so far. (Yes he still is someone who is Charlotte's motivation/coach)