For all the talk of grabbing power and using it, it's astounding how little he ended up doing, and how little he cared. Guy had so much tunnel vision that he put a few rebels in a couple shaky countries and thought it was the crowning achievement of his four years as the most powerful man on earth.

The Zell Miller vs Dick Cheney match up is a great examples of a "Whoever wins, we lose" election
Ironically, the other black Justice. Died unexpectedly. Shame, he was going to retire when the next Democrat came in.
This makes me think the justice's death is less unexpected to President Cheney then he'd like you to believe

Last edited:
Would like to add my voice to the praise here—the tone of this whole update is totally hypnotic, and it does fit with a President who, uniquely for this TL, is willing to ignore domestic affairs for foreign ones rather than the other way around.

Not that Cheney cared particularly hard. It knocked down that smug sonuvabitch David Owen over in England down a peg, so frankly it was welcome. Paranoid, proud-of-himself little shit.

When he’s right, he’s right!

So did I miss what happened to cause Israel to turn Damascus into a radioactive hole? Also, loved the Cheney stream of consciousness style...totally felt real to me. :)

For all the talk of grabbing power and using it, it's astounding how little he ended up doing, and how little he cared. Guy had so much tunnel vision that he put a few rebels in a couple shaky countries and thought it was the crowning achievement of his four years as the most powerful man on earth.
Glad people catched that! Like, in-universe I'm sure Cheney did a bit more than I wrote (and just what he did is up to Enigma to describe if he so chooses), but I wanted to really push just what TTL's Cheney thinks of the President. I took a decent amount of inspiration from Nixon, who from my understanding was far more interested in international affairs than domestic affairs -- and domestically he roughly followed his vaguely conservative belief system mixed with whatever was popular at the time.

Incidentally, the Hypocrisy of Dick Cheney comes up in "soft touch." Like, obviously I was quoting Vice when I chose that verbiage (a fun movie from what I've seen, although not the most accurate. If anyone follows me over to my magnum opus in a couple months I hope to get a bit more nuanced with Cheney) -- but completely coincidentally that was the name Enigma chose to describe Tommy Kuchel's foreign policy ITTL! And, yeah, Cheney's foreign policy of subtle interference is not substantively different than Kuchel's.

So did I miss what happened to cause Israel to turn Damascus into a radioactive hole?
I'd recommend reading Roy Cohn's chapter again! Not just because I think it's the best one yet, but also because it goes into detail about Israel's Last Stand very heavily in that last stretch. The Damascus line is only a sentence, but the fallout is heavily discussed.

PrezZF

Banned
Beautifully written, easily the best writing of the timeline so far, and I can't wait to see more. What does the Court look like right now, and how is Russia doing right now? Any news on a certain KGB Agent?

I'd recommend reading Roy Cohn's chapter again! Not just because I think it's the best one yet, but also because it goes into detail about Israel's Last Stand very heavily in that last stretch. The Damascus line is only a sentence, but the fallout is heavily discussed.
Thank you...I don't know how I blanked out all of that! Must be getting old. :)

What does the Court look like right now
I'll hand this over (because I needed to compile it for my post, just to be sure):

Chief Justice: Pat Leahy (1985, Collins)
Associate Justice: Phyllis Kravitch (1978, Gilligan)
Associate Justice: Frances Farenthold (1979, Gilligan)
Associate Justice: Joseph Lieberman (1986, Collins)
Associate Justice: Edwin Meese (1991, Cohn)
Associate Justice: J. Michael Luttig (1994, Cohn)
Associate Justice: Mel Martinez (1998, Cheney)
Associate Justice: Frank Cousins (1998, Cheney)
Associate Justice: Frank Easterbrook (1999, Cheney)

Last edited:
I'll hand this over (because I needed to compile it for my post, just to be sure):

Chief Justice: Pat Leahy (1985, Collins)
Associate Justice: Phyllis Kravitch (1978, Gilligan)
Associate Justice: Frances Farenthold (1979, Gilligan)
Associate Justice: Joseph Lieberman (1986, Collins)
Associate Justice: Edwin Meese (1991, Cohn)
Associate Justice: J. Michael Luttig (1994, Cohn)
Associate Justice: Mel Martinez (1998, Cheney)
Associate Justice: Frank Cousins (1998, Cheney)
Associate Justice: Frank Easterbrook (1999, Cheney)
This court feels so chaotic. I feel like it would be hard to predict how they would rule on any case.

Just got caught up, really really liking the TL so far! I let out an audible gasp at the bombing of Damascus, horrifying beyond belief.

Really liked the chapter on Martha Layne Collins, but the latest two chapters have just been excellent. President Roy Cohn, despite his relatively tame nature, kind of haunts my nightmares now.

Incredibly good chapter. The tone really clicks for me - that sort of smug, snarling nihilism just cooks.

Can't believe that total schmuck Bob Rae got to be Prime Minister. My parents have a custom cookie jar adorned with a drawing if Bob Rae reaching into it. Nice enough guy, I guess, but he famously wrote out his whole policy agenda on a napkin after finding out he'd won the election. Incredible bag fumbler, even if it wasn't all his fault.