Map Thread XXII

View attachment 871734

Oh I should mention I've mostly moved on from Alternate History. This is a map I made for a sort of fantasty world I've been cooking up. I need to get the elevations settled (I want there to be a massive Tibet-style plateau somewhere) but it's a cool excuse for me to worldbuild without feeling particularly stuck to historical plausibility.
Did you use any map generator?

View attachment 871734

Oh I should mention I've mostly moved on from Alternate History. This is a map I made for a sort of fantasty world I've been cooking up. I need to get the elevations settled (I want there to be a massive Tibet-style plateau somewhere) but it's a cool excuse for me to worldbuild without feeling particularly stuck to historical plausibility.

Hey I mean, plenty of fantasy maps get posted here too.

Minimum Sea Level Rise Outline.png

I give you, the 6:10 Project.​

Had a difficult time finding base maps for a 6-10m sea level rise, so working backward off of the QBAM elevation map I've started making my own.

View attachment 871734

Were I plotting this planet, I would have centered the projection somewhat further east so that the big archipelago didn't get cut in two.

The Map of Europe in 1823, at the beginning of the Pax Britannica, starting with the Treaty of Girona, declaring the independence of Catalonia. The Warlord Conflicts in the Former Ottoman Territory has simmered, and the Industrial Era begins to kick in. But there are still many problems. Despite the peace, ethnic conflicts are starting to boil in the Balkans, and Austria and Russia are starting to butt heads. France and North Germany are arguing over Luxembourg, and an vengeful Spain begins to rise from the ashes... With the arrival of both Nationalism and Industrialization will change Europe forever.
Now i ask, where do YOU all think this Europe will go?
By the Way, if you have any questions about stuff i didn't go into detail about, i would be more than happy to explain.
View attachment 870600
AUSTRALIAN WAR/AUSTRALISCHE OORLOG
Unlike in South Africa, where the Netherlands peacefully ceded the Cape, the British did not ask for Australia. So when British Officers started occupying parts of the Northern Coast, the Netherlands retaliated instead of simply abandoning the claim like the British assumed. the Following conflict was mostly confined to the continent and with little fighting, until the Battle of Barroloola, when the Netherlands counterattacked into Australian Territory. At that point, the Netherlands and Britain signed a treaty in Perth, establishing a Dutch Presence in West Australia and Indonesia, Whilst Britain could lay claim to New Guinea and all Polynesia east of the Dutch East Indies.
Australian War.png

The WIP 1980s Punk Map is back, and the Middle East is done! I had Iraq winning the Iran-Iraq War (though obviously it's not in the best of shape).

1980s Punk.png

Last edited:
The normal tricolor flag probably sounds good to me, though we could say that bringing back the normal tricolor is probably a recent decision the government made and was controversial outside of the country's borders (OTOH, the people in Russia were cheering at a "properly" Russian flag and anthem once more). On that note, we could have the tricolor variant be the one Russia initially flew after the fall of Communism IOTL before they changed it to the current variant. Alternatively, we could have it very much be a Federal Republic of Yugoslavia/State Union of Serbia and Montenegro situation (before its cessasion of existence in 2006) in which while the flag is woefully unpopular, no one can agree on a replacement flag for it.
It probably does go something like that, yeah. I admit to not going as crazy on vexillology as I did on mutilating borders. Sorry, Poland and Bulgaria.

Meanwhile, I've turned to hacking at Southeast Asia. they never got thailand

On that note, we could have the tricolor variant be the one Russia initially flew after the fall of Communism IOTL before they changed it to the current variant.
Small nitpick, so called white-azure-red flag of 1991-1993 technically didn't exist, neither oficially recognized as the seperate predecessor of the current one. In fact they both were used by goverment officials during that period, sometimes even at the same time without any ideological or symbolic distinction. The confusion came because at that time Russian flag didn't had any state aproved technical standards so many companies choose different shades of blue during the production with azur middle line being one of the most common. And exactly because of that Yeltsin's goverment decided in 1993 to clarify how exactly their country flag should look like.

Small nitpick, so called white-azure-red flag of 1991-1993 technically didn't exist, neither oficially recognized as the seperate predecessor of the current one. In fact they both were used by goverment officials during that period, sometimes even at the same time without any ideological or symbolic distinction. The confusion came because at that time Russian flag didn't had any state aproved technical standards so many companies choose different shades of blue during the production with azur middle line being one of the most common. And exactly because of that Yeltsin's goverment decided in 1993 to clarify how exactly their country flag should look like.
No.

1978 Constitution in the 1 November 1991 redaction:
Article 181. The state flag of the RSFSR is a rectangular panel with equal horizontal stripes: the top stripe is white, the middle stripe is azure and the bottom stripe is scarlet. The ratio of the width of the flag to its length is 1:2.

Decree No. 2126 “On the State Flag of the Russian Federation” 11 December 1993
The state flag of the Russian Federation is a rectangular panel of three equal horizontal stripes: the top is white, the middle is blue and the bottom is red. The ratio of the width of the flag to its length is 2:3.

No.

1978 Constitution in the 1 November 1991 redaction:
Yet the historical photos speak otherwise:

Mind you 1991 constitution or any other source of that period do not clarify why they wrote azure color for the flag despite historically it being blue. One of the explanation I heard was that the people who wrote the article took flag colors description from their first mentions in XVII-XVIII century documents , not taking in notice that azure in old times was synonymous with blue.

Last edited:
Yet the historical photos speak otherwise:

Mind you 1991 constitution or any other source of that period do not clarify why they wrote azure color for the flag despite historically it being blue. One of the explanation I heard was that the people who wrote the article took flag colors description from their first mentions in XVII-XVIII century documents , not taking in notice that azure in old times was synonymous with blue.
I mean, the fact that both variants were in use, even by the government, doesn’t mean the Azure Flag didn’t exist.

The colour specifications changed, so technically speaking it did exist, it just was not commonly distinguished at the time nor did it have political implications.

The Map of Europe in 1823, at the beginning of the Pax Britannica, starting with the Treaty of Girona, declaring the independence of Catalonia. The Warlord Conflicts in the Former Ottoman Territory has simmered, and the Industrial Era begins to kick in. But there are still many problems. Despite the peace, ethnic conflicts are starting to boil in the Balkans, and Austria and Russia are starting to butt heads. France and North Germany are arguing over Luxembourg, and an vengeful Spain begins to rise from the ashes... With the arrival of both Nationalism and Industrialization will change Europe forever.
Now i ask, where do YOU all think this Europe will go?
By the Way, if you have any questions about stuff i didn't go into detail about, i would be more than happy to explain.
View attachment 870600
BRITISH-AMERICAN WAR/БРИТАНО-АМЕРИКАНСКАЯ ВОЙНА/GUERRE BRITANNIQUE-AMÉRICAINE
The War of 1812 had been a tough one, as Britain sought to take Louisiana back for France, but the war ultimately ended in stalemate. But only a little over two decades later, the two Anglo Great Powers were at war, this time over the great Oregon dispute. But this time, America had help from the Russian Empire, who wanted Britain as far from it as possible. The Two declared war on Britain in 1837, and started in the west, hoping that the fall of Oregon would convince Britain to surrender the Pacific Completely. But to their dismay, the Brits invaded New England and the Mid Atlantic, dealing devastating defeats to armies in that area. But at the Battle of Warrensburgh, the American Armies crushed the British and forced them back to Canada, where the Americans chased them relentlessly. This defeat in New England caused many British Soldiers to go back to Canada to defend, even defending successfully at Brantford, defeating many American Armies. But a large Rebellion in Quebec sprung up, knowing that this was a great chance to secede. The Quebec Rebels invited the Americans in, and they obliged, defeating the already exhausted armies in Montreal and Quebec City. With the best Supply to Canada gone, and Russians advancing towards the East, Britain was forced to accept the Treaty of Arlington, where Britain lost Canada and some Territorial disputes with Russia. The Victory would bring America and Russia closer together, while the defeat enraged Britain, who would soon take their anger out on places like China and Africa. As for Quebec, they were made a state but with many special exemptions from Federal Law.
British-American War-min.png

The WIP 1980s Punk Map is back, and the Middle East is done! I had Iraq winning the Iran-Iraq War (though obviously it's not in the best of shape).

View attachment 871861

Why is there a giant beige blob in the Sahara?
If it's either to represent sparsely populated, lack of central government control or rebellion there are established cartographic methods of showing that without leaving the entire area blank.

Why is there a giant beige blob in the Sahara?
If it's either to represent sparsely populated, lack of central government control or rebellion there are established cartographic methods of showing that without leaving the entire area blank.
Well, it's de facto uncontrolled and even more sparsely populated than in OTL (because of climate change), also I feel it adds a bit of style.