Map Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATjYi4F.png

Another product of my being bored, the PTO, essentially a Pacific NATO and a replacement for SEATO :p

I don't see Bandladesh joining so quickly given that they would have to leave Pakistan first, at which point the Indians would take them into their own orbit. No negotiations.

Gian

Banned
Crossposting this from my DeviantArt account. (I actually made this map over the summer, but only got around to posting it just now)

===================

Point of Divergence: Britain does not curtail Jewish migration into Palestine and instead encourages it with greater zeal than before. (This is part of a broader post-1806/1815 world where France was in the Central Powers instead of Germany, who ITTL allies with Russia and Britain)

In the aftermath of the First Great War, the British Empire inherited portions of the former Ottoman Empire that had fought in the Central Powers (along with France and Austria-Hungary). One of these territories was Palestine, a tiny patch of land that Christians, Jews, and Muslims hold sacred for countless millenia. The British government had some plans for Palestine, most notable was the Balfour Declaration of 1917, which would provide a "national home" for the Jewish people, who for years have been coming to the region in droves. Driven by the Zionist call to establish a Jewish homeland in their ancient home, these settlers nevertheless drew tensions amongst the Arabs already living there. This culminated in several Arab revolts which were put down by the British government, and only led to the government's (with the German Empire's backing) encouragement of more Jewish migration to (hopefully) stabilize the situation.

With the rise of the fascist French government in 1933, Jewish immigration to Palestine increased even more, so that by the time war broke out once more in the continent inn 1939, the population was evenly split, with the Jews well on their way to becoming the majority by 1945 as more and more Jews fled the anti-semitic Nasis in Paris (this ensured that 2-3 million Jews were killed during this world's equivalent of the Holocaust). By the time the new United Nations decided on a course for partition in 1948, Jews had become a majority, ensuring they would get the lion's share of the territory. It was an agreement that the Arab powers of Egypt, Transjordan, and Syria were unwilling to ever accept.

For nine months, the Israelis held on, depsite overwhelming odds. However, bad judgements on the part of the Arab powers ensured that not only would the new State of Israel would grab not only all of Palestine, but in a blitzkreig movement, seize the Sinai peninsula, the Golan Heights, and even some of the areas east of the Jordan River. The War of Independence (which was an Arab defeat so large that they dubbed it an-Nakba aka "the Catastrophe") would lead to drastic changes to the Middle East, which are still being felt today. Though the issue of Islamist terrorism in the Sinai and the East Palestinian claims to all of the former mandate continue to surface, Israel's fortunes as one of the players shaping the Middle East remains as bright as ever.

===================
Notes
1) The title refers to Israel's national anthem Hatikvah
2) FDI is the Federal Directorate of Intelligence (this world's equivalent to the CIA). Thus, this map is made from an American point of view.
3) The Suez Canal was closed from 1948-1976, when the Camp David Accords established a demilitarized international zone supervised by the UN.
4) Lebanon was completely filled with Arab Christians and Italian settlers by the Duce (since Lebanon became an Italian mandate, which were kept due to Mussolini's smart decision not to team up with the Nasis until 1974). Hence, they never joined the Arab coalition against Israel, and now has become one of Israel's friends in the region by 2015.
5) One of the Germans who came to Palestine were the Frank family (yes, I mean the family of Anne Frank), who fled following the French invasion of Germany in 1940. They're still around to this day.

the_hope_of_2_000_years_reborn_by_ieph-d98gbhl.png

Crossposting this from my DeviantArt account. (I actually made this map over the summer, but only got around to posting it just now)
I like it. Though I would imagine that Gaza would expand to the west to El Arish. But that's just me.

And I could also see the Eastern Bank being Israeli as well. Probably in the same manner as the West Bank as OTL. But I'm curious, why would Jordan be the Palestinian Arab Republic and not Jordan? Note that I am American with little real knowledge of the region any more than American media tries to force down my throat.

Gian

Banned
But I'm curious, why would Jordan be the Palestinian Arab Republic and not Jordan?

Well, the massive influx of Palestinian migrants (even larger in this world) would basically allow them to take over Jordan's government in the late 1960s, creating the Palestinian Arab Republic (East Palestine in short)

So yes, it is kind of a callback to Nanwe's TL "Fear Not the Revolution, Habibi"

Where I am at with this Franco-America* map. Not too sure what to do with south America though so any tips or ideas would help. And also no formal request but if some could make or find a Europe patch with a sucessful napoleonic france dominating Europe (and if possible locked in a imperial cold war with Britain) that would be GREAT.
rump america with UIN .png

rump america with UIN .png

And speaking of which, here's that map.

Iraq.png

POD is sometime in the late 50s to the mid 60s. Vietnam ends up being more like Korea in some ways. The Air War is essentially the same. But the Ground War shows more successes. US intervention is more solid and pushes past the 17th Parallel and makes it all the way to Thanh Hoa and the Ma River. Viet Cong incursions through Laos and Cambodia into South Vietnam end quickly after the US advances to within 200km of Hanoi. China soon sends the PLA south to drive off the Americans. However, the US is prepared for the Human wave tactics and are well supplied.

Eventually however, the PLA begins to overwhelm the US and South Vietnamese armies as they begin a slow withdrawal from North Vietnam. In 1972 the two Vietnamese Governments, and the governments of the USA and PRC sign an armistice. Unlike in Korea however, this armistice eventually leads to a lasting peace in 1975. The border being set to the 17th Parallel. The US establishes several permanent military installations in South Vietnam: three Airbases, two Army Garrisons, one Naval Base, and two Marine Camps.

The success of the US in Vietnam did little to quell unrest in Persia. The Shah was overthrown and the Islamic Republic of Iran was declared. The Ayatollah soon began negotiating with the Soviets for weapons in exchange for resources of oil and nuclear material. The Soviets (whom had initiated the talks) began to pressure the Iranian government more fully, establishing bases and nuclear launch sites. Then, in late 1979, the Soviet Union, aided by some Iranian armed forces, launched the invasion of Afghanistan. The US sent aid to the Mujahideen to combat the Soviets, but it wasn't enough.

Then, through a stroke of luck, US intelligence was gathered showing that Iraq had been preparing for an invasion of Iran. The US began to pump money and munitions into Iraq. By July 1980, the Iran-Iraq War was launched. The Iraqi Army swept into Khuzestan and pushed further into Iran while the Islamic Republic had their armies in Afghanistan.

The war ended in 1987 when the armies of Iran were unable to force the Iraqi military from the occupied territory.

However in Afghanistan, the Soviets had proven victorious. And by 1988 had annexed the whole of Afghanistan. Soviet presence in Iran began to grow as well. As a result, Iraq became a buffer state to the new Iranian-Soviet alliance.

In 1990. Saddam Hussein had requested American military assistance in dealing with incursions from across the Kuwaiti border. Initially the US refused, until several oil refineries were attacked and some destroyed. The US never sent soldiers to protect the border. Instead, General Schwarzkopf was sent to Iraq with several other officers in order to train the Iraqi army further. In August 1990, Shia revolutionaries launched a successful coup and took control of Kuwait. Soon after in September 1990, Kuwaiti insurgents operating under orders from the Soviet Union and Iran attacked Basra in force. Several terrorist attacks, riots, and armed revolts swept over Al Basra. Further Shia revolutionaries rose up in the region and soon controlled and either destroyed or redirected oil production in the region.

By February 1991, Saddam Hussein had had enough. The Iraqi Army, with their modern arms and tactics, stormed into Basra and Kuwait. The Fighting was fierce and intense. The Shia revolutionaries were crushed by Saddam's regime, aided by Shia locals who were either loyal to Saddam or simply detested the violence. The Kuwaiti Army, propped up by Soviet tanks and aircraft, and aided by Iranian volunteers, launched an invasion into Basra to aid the Revolutionaries. They were quickly crushed en force, and soon forced back into Kuwait. Saddam refused to halt his armies, and drove on into Kuwait City. Broken and routed, the Shia Revolutionaries fled and disbanded. The Islamic Republic of Kuwait was toppled by Saddam Hussein.

Instead of returning the region to the former government, Saddam instead annexed the nation. Granting it political autonomy but continuing to militarily occupy the province until 2003. Jaber III Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah was granted Viceroy of the Kuwait Viceroyalty. This essentially guaranteed Kuwaiti autonomy while granting access to resources and manpower by Iraq.

The Kuwaiti Occupation Army was ordered to stand down on October 13th, 2003. The Kuwaiti Viceroyal Military was given permission to defend its territory against all insurgencies and actions of terror. Jaber held regular meetings with Saddam and Masoud Barzani, President of Iraqi Kurdistan. Saddam continued to rule over Iraq with the proverbial Iron Fist, but his style of rule began to lessen in 2006. That April, the leader, along with Jaber III met with then Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert. This deicing of relations eventually lead to what became known as the "First Babel Convention" and severely weakened the authority of Hezbollah in Israel. Eventually, violence within contested areas of Israel all but vanished, though frequent protests remained.

Though he remained President, the dictator began to focus his attention directly upon Islamic extremists within his borders. Eventually rooting out Al Qaeda affiliates. By 2013 however, there was a new revolution brought on by the Jihadist organization known as the ISIL after they had gained a territory in Syria and then pushed onward into Iraq. The Iraqi Army and Peshmerga were initially stunned by the attacks and forced from their border territories. But by June of 2014, both forces had not only stalled the advance of ISIL, but had managed to forced them away from virtually every strategic location within Iraq, leaving them with nothing but a few scattered small towns and desert.

Iraq.png

I really don't think ISIS are going to exist in a world without the Iraq war.

Also why would the USSR annex Afghanistan?

1. A valid point. But for the sake of giving Saddam something to gas besides the Kurds and Shia (again) I figured that having the Arab Spring and Syrian Civil War kind of explode in his backyard.
  2. To apply pressure to US aligned Pakistan and bolster Iran. More access to Afghan rare metals and Iranian Oil.

1. To apply pressure to US aligned Pakistan and bolster Iran. More access to Afghan rare metals and Iranian Oil.
But they could achieve this simply by supporting a puppet regime without having a massive insurgency on their own territory, probably pissing off most of the pro-Soviet Afghans and acting like it's the 18th century.

Another product of my being bored, the PTO, essentially a Pacific NATO and a replacement for SEATO :p

Ok why would a nation that has no army like Panama join us and very poor nations of Bangladesh and Papua New Guinea?

Also Indonesia, India and Pakistan as well as Vietnam should be in that us we are going for not just an anti-China alliance as well.

Also as far as I know those Latin American countries have zero interest in pissing off China or even joining the US in something like this.

Dorozhand

Banned
China and environs during the Four Dynasties Period (1643-1713), around the year 1700.

The north of China is occupied by the Great Shun Dynasty, established by the Yongchang Emperor (Li Zicheng) in 1643, whose capital is at Chang'an. The Yongchang Emperor was victorious at the Battle of Shanhai Pass due to large numbers of Kalkha Mongols he managed to get on his side. At the moment there is an ongoing revolt among the western Mongols, who have established a descendant of Ejei Khan as Emperor of "Later Yuan".

The south of China is occupied by the Southern Ming Dynasty, the remnants of the once great Ming Empire. When the Manchu invaded, Zuo Liangyu waged an aggressive campaign against Shun and rallied the princes together behind the Hongguang Emperor, saving the dynasty from total conquest.

Northeast of Liaodong is Great Qing, established in 1636. The dynasty represents a renewal of aggression from the Jurchen, though they failed to accomplish what their predecessors did after having been pushed back from the Shanhai.

Squeezed between Shun and Ming in Sichuan is the Later Sui Dynasty, established by Ming general Tan Jinhai who rebelled against one of the southern Ming princes during the chaos before Zuo Liangyu's reforms and carved out an independent kingdom in Sichuan. He dislodged the unstable Da Xi regime of Zhang Xianzhong and liberated the province, becoming extremely popular and declaring Later Sui in 1646. It's capital is at Chengdu.

The Kalmyk still rule Tibet while the Khoshud Mongols took control of the Chagatai Khanate. Choson has expanded at the expense of both Shun and Qing, who are constantly fighting over influence on the peninsula.

Three Dynasties3.png

Three Dynasties3.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.