Miscellaneous >1900 (Alternate) History Thread

How much more overseas territory could France retain in the post-colonial age to the modern day? They seemed like the most reluctant of the colonial powers to part with their overseas territories. I think Indochina is a write-off, and probably Algeria, too, but could they have held onto, say, the city of Oran and environs? Senegal? Gabon? Madagascar?

AHC: Used POD post Jan 1 1960
Makes modern Japan become a poor states, unstable, full of corruption
Second AHC:
Pod post Jan 1 1960
Japan wasn't a poor state, but in 2024, Japan is like putin Russia, authoritarian, oligarchy

Last edited:
I don't suppose anyone would be willing to look over this scenario I made a couple years back for believability? I'm mostly wondering about what potential figures in the Soviet government might have been willing to try a palace coup and negotiate a settlement with anarchists/non-Bolshevik communists if it looked like the Kronstadt rebellion was spiraling out of control, and how much influence anarchism had as an ideology in the Russian north and far east at the time.

Most Soviet factories are well away from the coast and the shipyards are so far from Japan that by the time the ships get there the war will already be over, so it's not like Stalin can just order "well, make landing ships."
I was thinkin more of ships that are small enough to transported over land and rail.
And Truman asking the Soviets to invade could only be seen if he has decided that he wants to learn firsthand what an impeachment of a president is or if by some miracle he is now a Soviet agent...
Lend Lease wasn't that long ago so I think Americans could stomach cooperating with the Soviets one last time, especially if it's distribute losses among the Allies for an invasion of the Home Islands.

But going back to the original point raised. In such a timeline, all of Japan's closest neighbours would be communist, since Stalin would hand the entire Korean peninsula to Kim Il-Sung.

With Japan being forced to be neutral as well, I think these circumstances would not be conducive to an OTL like demilitarized Japan.

I was thinkin more of ships that are small enough to transported over land and rail.

Lend Lease wasn't that long ago so I think Americans could stomach cooperating with the Soviets one last time, especially if it's distribute losses among the Allies for an invasion of the Home Islands.

But going back to the original point raised. In such a timeline, all of Japan's closest neighbours would be communist, since Stalin would hand the entire Korean peninsula to Kim Il-Sung.

With Japan being forced to be neutral as well, I think these circumstances would not be conducive to an OTL like demilitarized Japan.
Wouldn't that end up more like a Germany 2 situation? Where each half of Japan ends up building their own army and we get the JSDF facing off against the JNPAF (Japanese National People's Armed Forces)

Old cliche scenario :
What if Hitler didn't left 13 minutes earlier, and got killed by the bomb with other nazi officials in November 8 1939?
WW2 broke out already
Poland already done
But invasion of France and operations barbarrossa not happened yet
How would Goering lead the war?
Would it affect Japanese government and pearl harbor ?

Last edited:
As it says on the tin. It can be either French or Netherlands Saint Martin that can become a US territory, and the Colonies for Airplanes deal can't count.

A possible way to accomplish the quoted challenge with a pod after 1900 would be for the US to join the Central Powers (as in https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...ge-bedfellows-a-central-powers-usa-tl.301334/), win WW1 with the Central Powers and seize French Saint Martin. Then, the Netherlands could surrender its share of Saint Martin and the neighbouring Caribbean islands to the US to prevent the US from capturing the Dutch Caribbean islands.

Last edited:
When was the last time that Democrats had an election streak of more than 2? FDR to Truman period? (This isn't a current politics topic because the last time this happened, I think is old enough to be pre-2000, and therefore history rather than politics).

When was the last time that Democrats had an election streak of more than 2? FDR to Truman period? (This isn't a current politics topic because the last time this happened, I think is old enough to be pre-2000, and therefore history rather than politics).
There was none more than 2 after Truman and FDR

WW1_Alliances (1).png

So I had this idea of some countries switching sides because of different diplomatic spats.

How you guys think it would go?

I had an idea that i tough was interesting but i don't think i could make a thread out of it. What if women were sent like the men during the first world war? To make it less shitty for them let's they were politically and legally equals to men in that time. That would have greatly changed the great war and the overall population of the countries involved. There would be far less civilians to work on the farm and in the factories, cities outside the front line would have been far more deserted.

I had an idea that i tough was interesting but i don't think i could make a thread out of it. What if women were sent like the men during the first world war? To make it less shitty for them let's they were politically and legally equals to men in that time. That would have greatly changed the great war and the overall population of the countries involved. There would be far less civilians to work on the farm and in the factories, cities outside the front line would have been far more deserted.
Belongs in ASB forum