Preview: A Time to Remember (NA Dystopia)

I won't post the following chapters until May, but here's a preview anyways.

A Time to Remember

“If one could summarize the postwar period in one word, it would be “security”. Though national security was often emphasized, internal security would be paramount for the Canadian and American governments. Our present-day history begins in the United States, on May 8, 1936. Catch the lights James, and we’ll begin the lecture.”
Lecture by Prof. David Bunning, McGill University, Sept. 2009

“I have decided to seek the governorship of this great state because I believe that President Roosevelt should have a strong backer in the state of Massachusetts. Governor Curley has decided to seek a Senate seat, and I thank the Massachusetts Democratic Party for this nomination. Rest assured your faith in me will be well-rewarded in the future.”
Joseph Kennedy accepting the Democratic gubernatorial nomination, Springfield, May 8, 1936

“President Roosevelt had offered me the Ambassadorship to Ireland, which I had no interest in whatsoever. It seemed an attempt to frame me in my ethnic identity as an Irish Catholic rather than a genuine regards for the abilities which the President saw in me. The Roosevelts never seemed to be fond of Catholics, particularly Eleanor, who despite her many fine qualities, mindlessly aped the Protestant fundamentalist anti-Catholicism of her girlhood.”
Joseph Kennedy interview, 1958

Massachusetts gubernatorial election, 1936
(D) Joseph P. Kennedy: 52.3%
(R) Leverett E. Saltonstall: 46.6%

Incumbent Governor: James Curley (D)
Governor-elect: Joe Kennedy (D)

“Does anyone know why Joe Kennedy’s victory was symbolic, apart from birthing a new political dynasty? Mark. “Professor, wasn’t it because Kennedy’s victory symbolized the defeat of one of Boston’s most prominent Brahmins by a man who was seen as an upstart, nouveau riche Catholic who they disdained for religious and cultural reasons despite being much more successful, financially and politically?” “I hope those of you in the back are paying attention, because that answer will get you full marks on the relevant midterm exam questions.”
McGill lecture

“Mr. Prime Minister, my contacts have informed me that M. Duplessis will be quitting provincial politics, and coming to Ottawa.” “Mr. Pickersgill, I am well aware of the fact. You seem to have lapses in political common sense. Namely that the Tories, who are in essence the party of Protestants, Toronto bankers and the Orange Order, will not have a French-Canadian Catholic as leader, no matter that he is my strongest opponent, or that he would pose a serious threat. They are so blinded by their prejudices that they do not see him as a way to break our secure domination of the Quebec political scene, or at least challenge Ernest as the dominant politician in Quebec.”
Conversation between Prime Minister Mackenzie King and chief of staff Jack Pickersgill, Jan. 9, 1940

“As you know, your father has gone to Canada for some important political meetings. Joe, you will accompany him on his trip, because your father believes it important for you to meet them.”
Round-robin from Rose Kennedy, Feb. 17

“From the minute my father met Duplessis, it was a meeting of two like minds. Very soon my dad was predicting that he would be the next Prime Minister when King eventually retired, and even contemplated giving up the Governorship to ask FDR to appoint him US Ambassador to Canada. Of course, that became irrelevant when King won the March 1940 election by a landslide, and the hype died down for the remainder of the war.”
Jack Kennedy interview, 1971

Canadian federal election, Mar. 26, 1940
245 Commons seats

Liberal: 181 seats, 50.3%
National Government: 36 seats
CCF: 25 seats
Independents: 3 seats

Incumbent Prime Minister: Mackenzie King (Lib)

“While the Canadian political scene might have been relatively settled, despite the election of Duplessis as the Conservative MP for Trois-Rivieres, the American presidential election was just heating up. In May 1940 Winston Churchill had replaced Neville Chamberlain following the Narvik debacle in late April. President Roosevelt, though he did not declare publicly, had every intention of being the first President in American history to seek a third term. Of course, Roosevelt would not be the last of either party to do so. Upon Roosevelt’s renomination in Chicago in August, Vice President Garner, a staunch critic of the Administration in which he served, left the Democratic Party to run as an “Anti-Interventionist Democrat” with Postmaster General James Farley as his running mate. As you recall from last week, Farley had challenged Roosevelt for the Democratic nomination, and was, of course, swamped by the President.”
McGill lecture, Sept. 14

“FDR chose me as his running mate mainly to secure the Northeast against Farley, in states with high Catholic populations. Especially crucial was New England, New York, and Pennsylvania. There was no chance of Garner receiving electoral votes, but there was a chance of vote-splitting to make the President’s mandate either weak or non-existent.”
Joe Kennedy Oral History, 1959

“After the President’s landslide re-election, I do not say that I had much influence in the Administration. I was directed to coordinate the shipbuilding industry with Henry Kaiser, and that was the extent of my involvement in the war effort. That would change very soon, but such was a shock to both me and everyone I knew.”

“Class, remember to read Chapter 2: “1944 to the Postwar Settlements” for next time. This will be very important in our study of… well, you’ll see next class. Goodbye, and enjoy your weekend.”
Prof. Bunning, Sept. 19th

U.S. presidential election, 1944
(D) Franklin D. Roosevelt/Joseph P. Kennedy: 432 EV, 54.6%
(R) Thomas E. Dewey/John Bricker: 99 EV, 45.3%
Incumbent President: Franklin Roosevelt (D)

Here are some Canadian VIPs and sources which non-Canucks will be unfamiliar with…

J.W. McConnell: leading Quebec industrialist, unquestioned leader of the English-speaking business community in Quebec. He was friendly with Duplessis and Mackenzie King IOTL, owner of the Montreal Star among other things.
J.M.R. Cardinal Villeneuve: Archbishop of Quebec, Primate of Canada
Paul-Emile Cardinal Leger: his successor in both positions
Jack Pickersgill: Chief of Staff in the Prime Minister’s Office, confidant to PM Mackenzie King
Fr. Lionel Groulx: Best summarized as the Canadian Coughlin.

Sources/Terminology
Orange Order: A Protestant fraternal organization, virulently anti-French and anti-Catholic. Very popular amongst wealthy Ontarian Protestants.
Montreal Star: Main newspaper of Quebec’s English community, owned by J.W. McConnell.
Le Devoir: directly owned by the Church, the main nationalist newspaper in Quebec.

Again, this is just a preview, electoral maps for the US will be added when the TL is up in May. Here are the current main characters for Canada.

Maurice Duplessis

ITTL:
Premier of Quebec: Aug. 26, 1936- Oct. 7, 1939
MP for Trois-Rivieres: Apr. 5, 1940-
duplessis2.jpg

Mackenzie King: Prime Minister of Canada: Dec. 29, 1921- July 5, 1930, Oct. 25, 1935- present
Leader of the Liberal Party: Aug. 7, 1919-present

mackenzie-king.jpg

Yay! POTUS Joe Kennedy Sr. is finally here!

When I first came to AH.Com, that was the first idea for a TL I had, but it never took off...

Good luck, RB, it looks really good:)

By the way, will you write about the futures of the entire family? Will be interested to see what happens there:D

Be patient, I don't want to post more, because I won't have time to update continuously until May. All chapters up to and including the 1948 presidential election are on my computer, ready to be posted.

Re family members: There will be many surprises, both apolitical and political.

Will Henry A. Wallace stay Ag Secretary? (It was the best fit for him. He made a great VP, but his political role turned out to have turned a lot of people against him.)

(Ironically, in 1944 at the Convention, someone passed out an attack flyer quoting Wallace (out of context) as saying "The Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon." Despite being the grandson of a Presbyterian Minister, he did not have anti-Catholic sentiments, and in fact considered joining the Catholic Church at one time.)

No, Kennedy hated Wallace. Joe Kennedy's Cabinet will look very different from Truman's IOTL, even though all members served in FDR's administration in some capacity.

Here's another snippet, and that's all for now. :)

“Mr. Kennedy, you must come to the White House immediately.” “Does the President wish to see me?” “This is of extreme urgency.” “I’m on my way.”
Joe Kennedy to Press Secretary Steve Early

“I had a premonition of what the news was, but one doesn’t think such terrible thoughts until they are spoken. When I arrived at the White House, Mrs. Roosevelt was in the Oval Office with Morgenthau. “Joe, the President is dead.” “Can I do anything for you?” “Can we do anything for you? You are the one in trouble now.”
Mrs. Roosevelt to President Kennedy, Apr. 12, 1945

“By the summer of 1945, the war in Europe was over and the Pacific was coming to a close. Kennedy had chosen to replace Stettinius with a choice regarded as unconventional, but which paid dividends throughout his Presidency: Nelson Rockefeller.”
Prof. Bunning, Sept. 22

Kennedy Cabinet
Vice President: vacant
Secretary of the Treasury: Henry Morgenthau Jr.
Secretary of State: Nelson Rockefeller
Secretary of War: Robert Patterson
Attorney General: Francis Biddle
Postmaster General: Frank Walker
Secretary of the Navy: James Forrestal
Secretary of Agriculture: Clinton Anderson
Secretary of Labor: Maurice Tobin
Secretary of Commerce: Averell Harriman

“… At Potsdam, Kennedy, Churchill and Stalin agreed that the priority would be to defeat Japan in the Pacific, which was completed by September 1945. Now let us turn to Canadian affairs during this period. On June 11th, Mackenzie King had won his sixth term with 127 of 245 seats in the Commons. By this time King had largely withdrawn from daily governance, though still in unquestioned control of the Commons and the government. Conservatives, reeling from their seventh loss in 25 years, decided to elect Maurice Duplessis as leader of the party. One of his conditions was dropping the “Progressive Conservative” name adopted in 1942, along with the platform planks that went with the adjective. Thus, Canadian politics went into a kind of hibernation for four years: much was accomplished, but not paid much attention to at the time.”
Prof. Bunning

“After the war ended in September, we had to demobilize the military. Now I told Patterson and Forrestal that this was going to be done properly: no helter-skelter process where no one would find employment. I also told them that I wanted to keep the military at 60% of its wartime numbers: anything less would endanger our national security; anything more would endanger our fiscal health.”
Joe Kennedy Oral History, 1960

“Mr. Kennedy, you must come to the White House immediately.” “Does the President wish to see me?” “This is of extreme urgency.” “I’m on my way.”
Joe Kennedy to Press Secretary Steve Early

“I had a premonition of what the news was, but one doesn’t think such terrible thoughts until they are spoken. When I arrived at the White House, Mrs. Roosevelt was in the Oval Office with Morgenthau. “Joe, the President is dead.” “Can I do anything for you?” “Can we do anything for you? You are the one in trouble now.”
Mrs. Roosevelt to President Kennedy, Apr. 12, 1945

“By the summer of 1945, the war in Europe was over and the Pacific was coming to a close. Kennedy had chosen to replace Stettinius with a choice regarded as unconventional, but which paid dividends throughout his Presidency: Nelson Rockefeller.”
Prof. Bunning, Sept. 22

Kennedy Cabinet
Vice President: vacant
Secretary of the Treasury: Henry Morgenthau Jr.
Secretary of State: Nelson Rockefeller
Secretary of War: Robert Patterson
Attorney General: Francis Biddle
Postmaster General: Frank Walker
Secretary of the Navy: James Forrestal
Secretary of Agriculture: Clinton Anderson
Secretary of Labor: Maurice Tobin
Secretary of Commerce: Averell Harriman

“… At Potsdam, Kennedy, Churchill and Stalin agreed that the priority would be to defeat Japan in the Pacific, which was completed by September 1945. Now let us turn to Canadian affairs during this period. On June 11th, Mackenzie King had won his sixth term with 127 of 245 seats in the Commons. By this time King had largely withdrawn from daily governance, though still in unquestioned control of the Commons and the government. Conservatives, reeling from their seventh loss in 25 years, decided to elect Maurice Duplessis as leader of the party. One of his conditions was dropping the “Progressive Conservative” name adopted in 1942, along with the platform planks that went with the adjective. Thus, Canadian politics went into a kind of hibernation for four years: much was accomplished, but not paid much attention to at the time.”
Prof. Bunning

“After the war ended in September, we had to demobilize the military. Now I told Patterson and Forrestal that this was going to be done properly: no helter-skelter process where no one would find employment. I also told them that I wanted to keep the military at 60% of its wartime numbers: anything less would endanger our national security; anything more would endanger our fiscal health.”

“1946 was the worst year of Joe Kennedy Sr.’s presidency: sit-down strikes, which were eventually repressed, surging inflation, and a sense of domestic drift. Rockefeller had developed what would eventually be known as the Kennedy Doctrine: the United States would assist free nations in their battle against Communism. As supplies flowed into Greece, the Administration turned to the seemingly intractable problems of Western Europe and China.”
Bunning, Sept. 22

Wisconsin Republican Senatorial primary, June 13th
Sen. Robert M. Lafollette Jr.: 50.6%
Joseph R. McCarthy: 49.4%

“I never believed that Chiang had a chance in hell of saving his position: he’d had a quarter-century to learn something about governance or generalship, or gain popular support among Chinese citizens. Clearly, he’d failed, and that’s why Mao was able to kick his ass off the mainland onto Taiwan. I didn’t like it, but what could we do?”

“In 1946, the Kennedy family was involved in two things: electing Joe Jr. to Congress in November, and Jack decided that his vocation would be journalism. Neither was a particularly thankful task: as the President told his chauffeur, “with the money I’m spending, I could elect our maid President of the United States.”
The Burdens of Power by Doris Kearns Goodwin

U.S. midterm elections, 1946
House results
Democratic: 223 seats
Republican: 212 seats
Incumbent Speaker: Sam Rayburn (D-TX)

MA-11
(D) Joseph P. Kennedy Jr.: 76.4%
(R) Lester Bowen: 23.3%
Lt. Joe Kennedy, USN
joekennedyjr.jpg

Senate results
Democratic: 48 seats +Pro Tem
Republican: 48 seats
Incumbent Majority Leader: Alben Barkley (D-KY)

“Dad’s in the role of ventriloquist, Joe that of dummy. So where the hell does that leave me?”
JFK Diaries, Jan. 20, 1947

“Now at this time, we’re wondering what’s happening in Europe. Britain is ruled by Attlee, France and Germany in varying states of disorder. Kennedy did not want a vast infrastructure program, and that caused much disillusionment, particularly among the Democratic base. As the American economy began to gather steam and an average 2.2% growth rate by spring 1947, Pat McCarran came on the scene.”

“There are Communists throughout the United States, intending on subverting our ideals through terror, propaganda and violence. This is why measures must be taken by the Federal Government in this regard.”
Sen. Pat McCarran (D-NV)

“On July 6, 1948, President Kennedy signed the Sedition Act, which required all federal employees to swear loyalty oaths. Eventually, this would lead to the Internal Security Act, closely modeled on the 1916 Wilson model, but not yet. As for the 1948 presidential election, rapidly approaching, the country was quite content with the Kennedy White House. No great sacrifices had been demanded of the American people, for over 60% of the foreign assistance budget was thought to come from Defense Department sources. At least that was the thinking at the time. GDP growth was at a steady 2.6% rate, and median incomes began to rise. Republicans were caught in a tough spot: for no matter what Taft and Knowland said, Kennedy had taken the anti-Communist glory for the Democrats, courtesy of Pat McCarran. Now, I don’t need to tell you what happened on November 2nd, do I?”
Prof. Bunning

“You’re all set to join either the Department or MRA, depending on your volition. Just like your brother Joe.”
President Kennedy to Bobby, on his summa cum laude graduation from Charlottestown
The Brothers Kennedy, Hyannis, 1948
art.1948.jfk.jpg

U.S. presidential election, Nov. 2

genusmap.php

(D) Joseph P. Kennedy/Harry S Truman: 366 EV, 54.3%
(R) Robert A. Taft/William F. Knowland: 165 EV, 45.5%

Incumbent President: Joseph Kennedy (D)

House results
Democratic: 257 seats (+25)
Republican: 178 seats

Senate results
Democratic: 57 seats
Republican: 39 seats
Incumbent Majority Leader: Scott Lucas (D-IL)
President Kennedy waving to supporters, Nov. 3, 1948
JosephKennedySr.jpg

I meant Mudge, Alexander, which was a prominent NY law firm. :eek: Now for everyone's personal life...

Office of the Director of the FBI
To: The President
Dec. 8, 1948
CONFIDENTIAL- POTUS EYES ONLY
"Mr. President,

Reliable sources, namely informants A5P1 and D7E3, have informed us of the Congressman's journeys into houses of ill-repute in Washington, Boston and Palm Beach. Intelligence indicates that one woman, a certain Alicia Burr, may have been impregnated by your son. No confirmation is yet available. Rest assured all will be done to prevent any damage."

J. Edgar Hoover

"Am getting much action these days, both among the fair sex and for the Post. I've been posted as the Parliament Hill correspondent. So far I've gotten interviews with Howe (Finance), Godbout (Justice) and M. Duplessis. King retired recently, and it looks like Maurice will be the next PM. Am anxiously awaiting the next federal election."

JFK Diaries, Dec. 11, 1948

"You are to have no contact with Kathleen. She is conducting an illicit affair with a married Protestant aristocrat. She does not exist to us anymore. Do I make myself clear?"

Rose Kennedy's round-robin, Dec. 14

"Met the nicest girl so far at a Williamsburg horse show today. 1st date tomorrow and am incredibly anxious. Will I be up to this?"

RFK Diaries, Dec. 18

Jan. 20, 1949: “I, Joseph Patrick Kennedy, do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States and will preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, so help me God.”

“Peter, what was the seminal piece of domestic legislation passed by the Kennedy Administration in 1949?” “The Internal Security Act was the legislation in question.” “What was its purpose?” “Ostensibly the ISA was introduced to protect Americans from communist threats, Professor. As we know, the ISA, though revised in 1974 and 1986, is still on the books in the United States today. That is why you need your Security Certificate along with your passport when travelling to the United States. ”

Prof. Bunning, Sept. 26

Internal Security Act, 1949

Section 8a: If the Attorney General is satisfied that the detention of any person is necessary with a view to preventing him from acting in any manner prejudicial to the security of the United States or any part thereof or to the maintenance of essential services therein or the economic life thereof, he may make an order (hereinafter referred to as a detention order) directing that that person be detained for any period not exceeding two years."

Section 7c: "Any police officer, FBI agent, or law enforcement official may with warrant arrest and detain pending enquiries any person in respect of whom he has reason to believe that there are grounds which would justify his detention under section 8; and that he has acted or is about to act or is likely to act in any manner prejudicial to the security of the United States or any part thereof or to maintenance of essential services therein or to the economic life thereof."

“After the enactment of the ISA, Mr. Hoover informed me that the FBI would require additional funding and resources to enforce it. Thereby, I asked Congress to authorize the creation of the Bureau’s Internal Security Division. It was headed by Hoover’s espionage chief, Bill Sullivan. Sullivan reported directly to Hoover, who in turn reported directly to me in certain situations.”
Joe Kennedy Oral History, 1958

TOP SECRET- ISD NORTHEAST DIVISION

02/02/49

RE: TARGETED PERSONS

Below a list will be found of individuals whose detention has been authorized by circuit judges and the Director. All roundups are to be completed within 10 days.

Dubois, W.E.B.: Known subversive, has advocated mass return of Negroes to Africa. Ties to CPUSA, civil rights advocate.
Harrington, Michael: Bolshevist sympathies, published literature advocating socialism in the United States.
Miller, Arthur: Communist sympathies, has refused to testify before McCarran Committee on Communist infiltration of Hollywood.
Parker, Dorothy: “Equal-rights” activist has collaborated with Harrington in promulgation of socialism in New York.
Reagan, Ronald: memberships in pro-Soviet front organization, member of SAG. Reagan has refused to denounce leaders of Warner Bros. strike, despite repeated entreaties from us.
Robeson, Paul: Negro subversive, has toured USSR. Robeson has known ties to CPUSA’s Browder, liaison between CPUSA and Negro community.

“Class, we have now concluded the 1940s. Before we start Joe Kennedy’s second term on Monday, can anyone tell me what happened in Canada on Feb. 25, 1949?” “Maurice Duplessis was elected Prime Minister.” “Correct.”

Canadian federal election, Feb. 25
262 Commons seats

Conservative: 161 seats
Liberal: 77 seats
CCF: 16 seats
Social Credit: 14 seats

Incumbent Prime Minister: Lester Pearson (Lib)
Prime Minister-designate: Maurice Duplessis (Con)

The White House
Mar. 11, 1949

To: 24 Sussex Drive

“Maurice,

I wished to congratulate you on becoming PM- the Ambassador tells me that you have much planned for the country. As we discussed last week, the sooner you pass your own ISA and Taft-Hartley, the better-off Canada will be. Over here, little is going on: not since I had to give Israel diplomatic recognition. I told Attlee that the Middle East is the UK’s responsibility, and we share responsibilities in Western Europe and Asia. On the domestic front, Joe finally married Penelope Davies, his girlfriend from the UK. Jack is still drifting, as is his wont.”

Joe K.

Prime Minister Maurice Duplessis in the Prime Minister's Office, May 1949
PC_090828maurice_duplessis_p1.jpg

“I’ve been posted to the Ottawa Embassy as the plebe member of the legal department. Canada will change very rapidly, in a way that will please all the members of our family. Hell, if it weren’t for JB and the family, I’d stay here. It’s a great country, full of nice ski resorts, and plenty of available places in either Earnscliffe or Rosedale. Kathleen’s been excommunicated, and that’s perfectly fine with me. I love her, but now she’s eternally damned. We pray for her salvation as often as possible.”
RFK Diaries, Apr. 30

24 Sussex Drive, Ottawa, ON, Canada

To: 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, D.C.

May 8, 1949

Re: recent legislation

“Joe,
Having received your letter of Mar. 11, and our recent conversation of Apr. 7, I was most pleased at your creation of the ISA and the passing of Taft-Hartley. We passed Canadian equivalents of both in recent weeks and intend to conduct our first detention wave very shortly. I am pleased to note that your son Robert was posted to the embassy at Earnscliffe: he’s a pleasant young man who does his job well. He is someone you would do well to keep close: while he may or may not ever be ready for the public spotlight, Robert is an ideal consigliere: secretive, ruthlessly effective, and not afraid to hit people where the most damage can be done. Most of all, his loyalty to you is unshakeable.”
Maurice D.

RCMP Special Division**- Eastern Region

TOP SECRET: DETENTION WAVE ALPHA ONE: INDIVIDUALS

MAY 12, 1949

All individuals named below are to be detained or deported under Section 16B of the Domestic Security Act by order of the Attorney General and the Prime Minister.
BORDUAS, PAUL-EMILE: Known atheist with socialist sympathies. Borduas Attempted to publish subversive literature, known as “Refus Global” or Romeo Golf. Action: 60D

LEWIS, DAVID: Known Socialist, Communist sympathies. Attempted to ally with Fred Rose in 1942 Cartier by-election. Action: Delta Charlie.
ROSE, FRED: Former Communist M.P. Delta Yoke.

TRUDEAU, PIERRE-ELLIOTT: Known Socialist, attempted to travel to PRC earlier in year. Trudeau is a longtime opponent of the Prime Minister. Action: Delta Charlie.

Glossary
Delta Yoke: Deport to Yugoslavia
Delta Charlie: Deport to Cuba.
30D: 30 days detention
60D: 60 days detention
PFR: review pending by the Justice Ministry

CC: Justice Department

May 19, 1949

“Canadian or American citizens who violated the internal security legislation of both countries will be exchanged at the Plattsburgh and Windsor border crossings at 0015 hours tomorrow. Reagan and Parker were on tour in Toronto, and will be handed over by the Mounties to the Bureau. Such actions would not be possible without the full cooperation of our respective countries.”

Yours sincerely,
Robert F. Kennedy,

377px-Robert_Kennedy_Signature.svg.png

Assistant Embassy Counsel for Consular Affairs

Robert Kennedy boarding a RCAF C-47 for Plattsburgh, May 19
Photo credit: Flt Lt. Toby Macdonald, RCAF 11 Sqn
_Robert_Kennedy_Palestine.jpg

** Special Division was Canada's intelligence agency until the creation of CSIS in the 1980s IOTL.

Last edited:
Next update will cover, among other things, what's going on in Quebec itself: things are not looking good for leftists in Canada and the United States. In the US, we'll be taking a look at the early stages of Korea, the 1950 midterms, and some personal Kennedy business.

I know everyone's anxious for the 1952 presidential election. Will JPK seek a third term? :)

“In June 1949, Greece’s Civil War came to an end with a decisive victory for the Royalist government in Athens. President Kennedy was quick to claim a first victory for the Kennedy Doctrine, and travelled to Athens in September to celebrate the rearming of Greece and Turkey. NATO’s birth was fraught with difficulty and its formal birth was delayed to September.”
Prof. Bunning

“I have zero patience for that goddamn woodchuck that currently inhabits No 10. Eden’s a good man since Churchill’s retirement, and hope that Lab returns to Opposition, where they belong. Lafollette is trying to ape Pat McCarran, but if they team up internal security can become a consensus, rather than a partisan issue. Such are our plans for the rest of the year, along with the usual family issues.”
JPK Sr. Diaries, Oct. 9

“The 1950s opened with the passage of the McCarran-Bricker Act on Jan. 25, 1950, which severely restricted non-white immigration into the United States. President Joseph Kennedy later said that the legislation was based on that devised in Canada by King in 1937, revised by Duplessis in late 1949. Despite strenuous objections from liberal Democrats, heavy Republican support led to McCarran-Bricker’s passage and its enactment by President Kennedy on Mar. 21.”
Prof. Bunning

UK general election, Apr. 4, 1950
630 Commons seats
Conservative: 335 seats
Labor: 283 seats
Liberal: 8 seats
Other: 4 seats

Incumbent Prime Minister: Clement Attlee (Lab)
Subsequent Prime Minister: Sir Anthony Eden (Tory)

“1950’s major family event was the marriage of Robert to Jacqueline Bouvier on June 17th, which was a private affair attended by the President and the rest of the family. Though some had doubts at the beginning, the marriage of Bobby and Jackie would be perhaps the “most perfect union” in the Kennedy family.”
The Kennedys and the Fitzgeralds by Doris Kearns Goodwin
Robert and Jackie Kennedy at the US Embassy in Ottawa
50544815.jpg

“When the Korean War erupted on June 25th, President Kennedy ordered full mobilization and sent three divisions to Korea. He had immense faith in Gen. MacArthur, which was eventually repaid. Due to the President’s vehement insistence on military preparedness, initial setbacks were soon dramatically reversed.”
Prof. Bunning

Tories Triumphant”
Washington Post, A7
Sept. 7, 1950
John F. Kennedy, Ottawa Parliamentary Correspondent
jfk.jpg

“Question Period is by far the most entertaining part of the daily routine in the House of Commons, however entertainment is not governance. Prime Minister Maurice Duplessis leads a highly disciplined administration, which while not filled with “stars”, has much talent. In recent months, Quebec’s notorious radio priest, Fr. Lionel Groulx has made controversial remarks regarding the alleged roles of “secularists” and “Jews” in opposition to the landmark Domestic Security Act. I sat down with Fr. Groulx at his parish in Old Montreal yesterday.”
Jack Kennedy: Father, do you believe that the government’s registration of all recent immigrations from Eastern Europe is a good thing?
Groulx: Yes, M. Duplessis is inspired by God in finally being the first Prime Minister of this country to stand up to the forces of atheism, Bolshevism, and anti-Christian thought. God willing, they will all be gone from this country, if not in my lifetime, in yours.
Kennedy: Is it true that you have denied Communion to CCF supporters in your parish?
Groulx: To be honest, I could not believe that good Christians would be supporters of socialism, which is anti-Christian and is the first step on the slippery slope to Godless Communism.
Kennedy: This is an extension of their supporters being forced to register with the federal government?
Groulx: Correct.
Kennedy: When you said that Jews led the opposition to M. Duplessis “a true Christian leader”…
Groulx: I was entirely serious- look at the so-called “civil libertarians”. Frank Scott, A.L. Stein, Lazarus Phillips. They are all Jews who look out for the Jehovah’s Witnesses. You seem to be more open than your countrymen, so let me clarify one thing. M. Duplessis has not passed any anti-Jewish laws. He feels that private individuals can choose whom they associate with, employ, and admit into their institutions. No legislation was enacted.
Kennedy: Thank you Father.
Groulx: My pleasure.

Fr. Lionel Groulx, 1950
lionel_groulx_1955.jpg

“That attitude was a summary of Joe Kennedy’s policies towards minorities in the United States: indifference at best, prejudice at worst, and no interference by the government in what Kennedy considered a private domain.”
Prof. Bunning

U.S. midterm elections, Nov. 7
House
Democratic: 229 seats (-23)
Republican: 206 seats

Senate
Democratic: 50 seats
Republican: 46 seats
Incumbent Majority Leader: Scott Lucas (D-IL), defeated
Majority Leader-elect: Francis Myers (D-PA)

California
(R) Rep. Richard M. Nixon: 60.1%
(D)Rep. Helen Gahagan Douglas: 39.6%

Incumbent Senator: Sheridan Downey (D)
Senator-elect: Richard Nixon (R)

“On Dec. 7, 1950 American troops reached the Yalu River, and there they halted. President Kennedy, after conferring with Gen. MacArthur, Defense Secretary Robert Lovett and South Korean President Syngman Rhee, ordered a halt to further offensive operations. While truce negotiations would drag on for months, the goal of halting the spread of Communism in Korea had been accomplished at comparatively minimal cost. The troops were “home before Christmas”, and immediately speculation abounded as to whether Kennedy would seek a third term in 1952.”
Prof. Bunning, Oct. 18

Internal Security Subcommittee, Judiciary Committee

Senators Presiding: Patrick McCarran (D-NV.), Robert Lafollette (R-WI)

Jan. 22, 1951

Interrogation of: Ronald Reagan, Arthur Miller, Paul Robeson

McCarran: Are you a member of the Communist Party?
Miller: “No, I am not, nor have I ever been.”
McCarran: Have any of your associates been a member of the Communist Party, or any front organizations of the Party?
Miller: I refuse to answer on the grounds that I may incriminate myself.
Lafollette: You are not incriminating yourself Mr. Miller. Answer the question.
Miller: Not to my knowledge, no.
McCarran: Might I remind you that you swore an oath…

“Do we have to move on to the next stage, which will be indefinite detention? Not until you appoint more Supreme Court justices who will uphold the legislation that would be required. I guess that will have to wait for the next President at this rate…”
President Kennedy, Atty. Gen. Biddle: Feb. 26

“Erosion of Democracy”

Open Letter to the President

New York Times

Mar. 11, 1951

“Under your Administration, the erosion of civil liberties has been taken to what many Americans consider an unacceptable degree. All in the name of “domestic security” or so goes the Government’s line. How does the imprisonment of members of the arts community such as Ronald Reagan, Paul Robeson and others affect the lives of ordinary Americans? It makes them feel that anyone can be next, that the United States is becoming a police state.”
Signed,
Eleanor Roosevelt
Dean Acheson
Archibald MacLeish
Adlai Stevenson
Burton K. Wheeler

“We’ll have to detain them under 8A, except Mrs. Roosevelt. She never liked me anyways.”
President Kennedy to Atty. Gen. Biddle, Mar. 12

FBI Internal Memo

TO: ISD Eastern Region

May 24, 1951

“The detention of Acheson, Stevenson, MacLeish and Wheeler has been authorized by the Attorney General. All four will be charged under 8A of the ISA, with a full two years imprisonment.”

FBI Internal Memo

To: The Director

May 27, 1951

“Mr. Hoover,
After receiving your note regarding the President’s desire to begin clamping down on the Times, we are currently devising a plan to charge some of them under 8A. What is required is further legislation, and COINTELPRO is succeeding beyond our, and the President’s, wildest expectations. Once the press is brought under control, then the next stage can be implemented.”

WHEELER, MACLEISH, ACHESON DETAINED, CHARGED WITH “ANTI-AMERICAN” PROPAGANDA
WASHINGTON, D.C., June 10, 1951
“Former Senator Burton K. Wheeler (P-WI), Archibald MacLeish, and former Undersecretary of the Treasury Dean Acheson were detained under the Internal Security Act after publishing an open letter denouncing the Administration’s internal security policies. All requests made to the White House, the Justice Department, and the FBI for comment or interviews were turned down.”

“Throughout 1951, an increasing number of citizens were detained under Section 8A, which had now become a catch-all for political opposition outside the Democratic mainstream. Democrats and Republicans were becoming increasingly indistinguishable on the subjects of national and internal security, though still differing on the role of the public and private sectors. No one knew whether Kennedy would seek the Democratic nomination in 1952, though Senators Estes Kefauver and Herbert Lehman both contemplated challenging the President in the primaries, nothing came of it.”
Prof. Bunning, Oct.22

J.W. McConnell & Co.

July 29, 1951

“My dear Maurice,
Every once in a while I am reminded of our recent conversation regarding the DSA and your good treatment in the press. When you ended all appeals to the Privy Council and appointed of H. Lapointe as G-G, which sends all the right signals to disgruntled Liberals and your enemies amongst my associates. As for Groulx, he is causing much angst amongst Anglos in Quebec due to what many, including myself, consider unnecessarily inflammatory rhetoric. I hope to meet you soon, at a time of mutual convenience.”
All the best,
J.W.M

“I kiss their ring and they kiss my ass”- Attributed to Maurice Duplessis, Sept. 1951

KENNEDY JR. KILLED IN FRENCH PLANE CRASH
PARIS, Nov. 25, 1951
“Rep. Joseph P. Kennedy Jr. (D-MA), son of President Kennedy, was killed in a light plane crash in the Rhone Valley late last night. French authorities have recovered the Congressman’s remains and secured the crash site. Some have speculated that he was attempting to visit his sister Kathleen in order to convince her to return to the United States, but sources have refused to confirm this information.”

“These three: Bohlen, McCloy, Kennan are essential in their posts in the USSR, FRG and Undersecretary of State respectively. With them, our foreign policy becomes tangible and not just so much hot air. Roosevelt was right about State being the “Department of No”. They shoot down all ideas that don’t conform to their worldviews, and never learnt that they implement the Administration’s plan, we don’t implement theirs.”
JPK Diaries, Dec. 26

“At the beginning of 1952, there were still no declared Democratic candidates. All observers assumed that Joe Kennedy would seek a third term. However, since the loss of his son Joe Jr., he had privately decided to retire as President and announced his decision on Feb. 2, just three days after the 1952 State of the Union. Now both parties had genuinely open fields for the first time since 1920.”
Prof. Bunning, Oct. 31

“On our side, there’s Kefauver and Harriman, for the Republicans there’s Lafollette & Taft. If I had to make a prediction, it will be Taft with Lafollette as his running mate. That would make the most sense anyway. Nixon is going places and I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s elected President in 1960 or 1964. He’s got it, whether the media realizes that or not.”
JPK Diaries, Mar. 29, 1952

“Did anyone honestly think the GOP is going to let Lafollette, a latecomer to conservatism, to be their nominee? Delusions, absolute delusions, I say.”
JFK Diaries, Apr. 11

Republican National Convention, Chicago, Aug. 7
1st Ballot
Robert A. Taft: 600
Robert M. Lafollette: 495

“At the time, I had no idea I was going to be selected as Vice President. Later my sources told me that Taft was impressed with my work on the FRC and ISD, not to mention wanting a bridge to the internationalists in the party. Therefore, I became the GOP vice-presidential candidate at age 39, one of the youngest in American history.”
Memoirs, RN, 1981

U.S. presidential election, Nov. 4
genusmap.php

(R) Robert A. Taft/Richard M. Nixon: 287 EV, 52.3%
(D) W. Averell Harriman/C. Estes Kefauver: 244 EV, 45.6%
Incumbent President: Joseph Kennedy (D)
President-elect: Robert Taft (R)

House results
Republican: 241 seats (+39)
Democratic: 194 seats
Speaker-elect: Charles Halleck (R-IN)

Senate results
Republican: 50 seats (+3)
Democratic: 46 seats
Incumbent Majority Leader: Robert Taft (R-OH)
Majority Leader-elect: Bill Knowland (R-CA)

Jan. 20, 1953: “I, Robert Alphonso Taft, do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States, so help me God.”

Taft Cabinet
Vice President: Richard Nixon

Secretary of the Treasury: Arthur Burns
Secretary of State: John Foster Dulles
Attorney General: Herbert Brownell
Secretary of Defense: Douglas MacArthur
Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare: Bob Lafollette
Secretary of Labor: James Mitchell
Secretary of the Interior: Fred Seaton
Secretary of Commerce: Lewis Strauss
Secretary of Agriculture: Ezra Taft Benson
Postmaster General: Arthur Summerfield

“This new administration hasn’t really done much in these first six months, other than reacting a bit too slowly to Uncle Joe’s death in the USSR. I wonder what will happen next.”
JFK Diaries, May 14, 1953

Office of the Vice President

Senate Office Building, Suite 302

July 25, 1953

To: Joseph P. Kennedy

“Mr. Kennedy,
Having received your last letter, I have managed to secure Bobby a position as Asst. District Attorney for the NY Southern District. It required a good deal of persuasion, but given his excellent performance reviews in Ottawa and my recommendation, the application was approved. Hope to meet again soon.”
All the best,

Richard Nixon

“Mr. Vice President, we regret to inform you that the President died late last night from his cancer battle.” “Thank you Jim, I will ask Foster to assemble the Cabinet later tonight.”

July 29, 1953: “I, Richard Milhous Nixon, do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States and will preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, so help me God.”

Ugh... Nixon becoming president in '53...

By golly, I think this is the first timeline that's ended up looking like a dystopia, RogueBeaver, I congratulate you:D

Yes, things are getting worse for civil liberties, and we're only in 1953.

Canadian federal election, Sept. 1, 1953

265 Commons seats

Conservative: 170 seats
Liberal: 95 seats

Incumbent Prime Minister: Maurice Duplessis (Tory)

Won't their be a backlash after all these prominent are put in prison without trial, especially since most of these people, such as Adlai Stevenson and Dean Acheson have no connections with the Communist movement.