Preview: A Time to Remember (NA Dystopia)

Bumpity-bump. I'm torn as to whether to finish the preview with a (not necessarily electoral) cliffhanger in 1960 or in 1964. In any case, before Inauguration 1965.

“In 1957, Duplessis had decided to run for a third term on the basis of peace, prosperity and protection from Communism. Liberals, this time led by the far-from-charismatic Paul Martin Sr., had little to offer the Canadian electorate. Despite grumblings in the English Canadian media about certain aspects of the DSA, most Canadians were satisfied with the Tories’ domestic, foreign and defense policies. Religious teachings in school were ramped up to the highest level in Canadian 20th century history, and private education began to flower nationally. Duplessis had been helped immeasurably when the CCF, perpetually bankrupt with a rapidly shrinking membership, dissolved itself on Feb. 10, 1957.”
Render Unto Caesar: The Life of Maurice Duplessis by Conrad Black

Canadian federal election, Feb. 26
262 Commons seats
Conservative: 203 seats
Liberal: 56 seats
Independent: 3 seats
Incumbent Prime Minister: Maurice Duplessis (Tory)

“I met with M. today regarding the new tariff reductions on American imports: he says that Canada is open for business. Ever since CAFTA back in ’46 our economies have been increasingly intertwined: Canada is now our largest trading partner across the board. Two areas that both he and Nixon are coordinating on are passports and the support of the arts community. There hasn’t been a movie criticizing the subversive laws ever since Dirksen pushed through the most recent amendments to the ISA. Bobby says that the centerpiece will be “harmonization”, including a repeat of the three-strike rule.”
JPK Diaries, Mar. 31

H.R. 1952: Amendment to the Internal Security Act, 1949

I) Those thrice convicted under either Sections VIIB or VIIIA of this Act shall be denied visas by the Department of State.
II) All actions in pursuit of Clause I of this amendment with regards to dual citizens shall be coordinated with signatory countries to the Tokyo Pact of 1957 regarding harmonization of anti-subversive laws. In particular, dual citizens of the United Kingdom, Canada and Japan shall be tried in their country of origin.

“When the Brown decision came down, there was a lot of outrage from the South: all Southern congressmen and senators, excepting Lyndon Johnson, Sam Rayburn and Estes Kefauver signed the Southern Manifesto, which called for full resistance within the law. Johnson and Rayburn had long proved their bona fides, particularly Rayburn. Kefauver had long been branded a traitor, so there were no surprises there. I told Rogers to begin drafting what would become the Civil Rights Act of 1958. While not strong due to the jury-trials amendment demanded by Russell, Eastland, and Ervin, it was a start. Not to mention it destroyed the small gains we had made in the South, until the present day.”
Richard Nixon interviewed, 1974

“We thought Nixon was one of ours. Turns out he loves the Negroes for some reason. Any Southerner who votes Republican next year, or at any point in the future, is a goddamned traitor to the cause. I look forward to the day when some Southern patriot does his duty, in honor of Jeff Davis and all those who fought under the Stars & Bars.”
Anonymous Southern legislator, Apr. 19

“At the time, many advocated a détente with Hoffa’s Teamsters: they would help us out on eliminating subversive tendencies from the labor movement, in exchange for going easy on their own criminal activities. I told them, very bluntly, that anyone who said that again would have to find another line of work. Not coincidentally, this is when I started carrying a .38 at all times. All criminal activity had to be prosecuted, be it racketeering, trust-busting, routine homicides, etc. Nixon took the view of some of my aides, albeit cautiously. Taft-Hartley had helped of course and that would be rivaled over the years to an extent rivaled only by Canada’s Labor Relations Act of 1958. In summary of both bills: Government is management’s muscle, available on request.”
Robert Kennedy interviewed, 1992

DEPT. OF JUSTICE., WASHINGTON, D.C.
SEPT.7, 1957
ATTN: SOUTHERN DISTRICT, NEW YORK OFFICE
RE: LABOR QUESTIONS
Mr. Kennedy,
The Attorney General wishes that your current racketeering investigations focus on the U.A.W., specifically the Reuther brothers’ involvement in the Kohler strike. Exposing corruption in this union is a prime objective of the Department and the Administration. While not mandatory, this would be helpful in the future to yourself and others.
Yours sincerely,
Herbert Brownell, Deputy Attorney General

U.S. Attorney’s Office, Southern District of New York
Sept. 30, 1957
ATTN: OFFICE OF THE DEPUTY ATTORNEY GENERAL
RE: KOHLER
“Mr. Brownell,
We have made significant headway on the Kohler case; however both sides have committed acts of intimidation, strike-breaking etc. Therefore indictments on both sides of the aisle will be required. Nor has our Teamsters investigation been dropped: significant resources are being devoted to both investigations. I am convinced of this due to the results we have been obtaining from certain sources, not to mention a 15% increase in hate mail & death threats being received over the past two weeks. On the bright side, the mail is 3-2 in favor, so perhaps more work will be required on my end.”

Yours sincerely,
Robert F. Kennedy

“The cheeky kid does his job well, doesn’t he? Bill, the Hoffa thing is hurting us, badly. On the other hand, we need both of them: Kennedy for everything-but-Hoffa, especially organized crime, and Hoffa as our ally in the labor movement. Tell Herb to keep a close eye on the situation.”
President Nixon, Attorney General Rogers, May 1958

“I got an important scoop straight from the top: the bird will be flying very shortly. Don’t tell a soul, unless you want to be prosecuted under the Official Secrets Act.”
Jack to Bobby Kennedy, Oct. 1958

U.S. midterm elections, Nov. 4
Democratic: 219 seats (+41)
Republican: 216 seats
Incumbent Speaker: Charles Halleck (R-IN)
Speaker-elect: Sam Rayburn (D-TX)

Senate
Democratic: 62 seats (+13)
Republican: 36 seats
Incumbent Majority Leader: Bill Knowland (R-CA)
Majority Leader-elect: Lyndon Johnson (D-TX)

A bit shorter than usual, but a double cliffhanger, and I won't reveal the outcomes until the full version. :p

French presidential election, Dec. 7
(UNR) Charles de Gaulle: 80.3%
(PCF) Georges Marchais: 19.5%
Incumbent President: Rene Coty (PS)
President-elect: Charles de Gaulle (UNR)

“On Jan. 5, 1959, the Avro Arrow Mk 1 was unveiled at RCAF Trenton to senior RAF and RCAF personnel. Present were Canadian Prime Minister Maurice Duplessis and British Prime Minister Richard Butler, along with the Defense Ministers of both countries. Canada had ordered 128 aircraft, the RAF initially 80, enough to equip two fighter groups. In the United States, President Nixon had expressed interest, though in the interim USAF requirements would be met by the F-102, F-106, and the F-4. The first two were reaching IOC, while the Phantom was in the late stages of development.”
Canada’s Armed Forces since 1945, J.L. Granatstein

405 Sqn Arrow landing at CFB Bagotville, Jan. 5, 1959

avro-arrow-landing.jpg

South African federal election, Feb. 15, 1959
156 House seats
National: 106 seats
United: 50 seats
Incumbent Prime Minister: Hans Strijdom (NP)
Prime Minister-designate: Hendrik Verwoerd (NP)

Goddamned Civil Rights Act sunk my support for Nixon. Can’t believe a man with such anti-Commie credentials ends up propping up the Negroes. Nor did he appoint liberal judges to the Court, so don’t understand what’s going on there. Apparently Bravo Kilo is pushing hard on teamsters and truckers, and they’re trying to push back. Hoffa hired Cohn as his lawyer- can hardly believe my ears when the source told me. Now that’s an interesting prospect: Bobby Kennedy and Roy Cohn on opposite sides of a courtroom. What I’d give to be a fly on the wall during that trial. There’s still the question of whether Nixon will run next year- apparently there’s been speculation that Rockefeller or Goldwater want to run. Nixon’s keeping his options open, as usual. Leaks from the Administration suggest that civil rights could cripple Nixon in ’60- therefore the Democrats need to pick the right candidate in order to have a chance in hell of winning.”
Anonymous, Mar. 24

“Nixon’s playing a double game: he wants me to help out Hoffa on the labor front, but wants that little S.O.B. Bobby Kennedy to tackle organized crime for him in New York. Both of them are heading into uncharted waters, and if Nixon betrays me there’ll be hell to pay. There’s going to be some interesting coincidences: so said one of the sources in the Italian community. Apparently the name is Sam. Sam G will be the one who gets the whole thing going.”
Diary of Roy Cohn, June 28

“Throughout 1959, there was a sense of complacency: the Democratic field was threadbare: Hubert Humphrey, Joe Clark and Lyndon Johnson. None were considered to have much of a chance against Nixon in November 1960. Nixon himself had considered dumping Scott, but decided against doing so. In order to strengthen his hand with the Eastern, liberal wing of the GOP, Nixon appointed Sen. Prescott Bush (R-CT) Secretary of Commerce on Nov. 17, 1959. Bush was replacing Lewis Strauss, who had disagreed with the President once too often on economic policy. No Republican candidate had yet declared for the 1960 nomination by year’s end.”
Richard Nixon: Apostle of Authoritarianism by Noam Chomsky, 1995

“Goddamn, he’s making history again: the first Republican President to seek a third term. Will there be six terms- another two decades of Nixon in the White House? Impossible.”
- Bobby to Jack Kennedy, Jan. 3, 1960

“I think Nixon will easily win against any of them: no strong candidates this year. All the plans are in motion: when he comes to Baton Rouge, the Pres will get a welcome he’ll never forget. First, that little SOB in New York.”
- Sam Giancana, as recorded by FBI wiretaps

CANADIAN PRESS NEWSWIRE: MAY 8, 1960

BREAKING NEWS BULLETIN

PRIME MINISTER DUPLESSIS CONFIRMED DEAD OF STROKE AT AGE 70 STOP JOHNSON SWORN IN AT RIDEAU HALL STOP NIXON OFFERS CONDOLENCES, AS DOES AMB KENNEDY STOP FURTHER UPDATES WILL BE FORTHCOMING STOP

“May 15: Robert Kennedy is returning home to Fifth Avenue at roughly 7:30 p.m. As his limousine rounds a corner, he senses something amiss in the air. “Turner, go an alternate route!” he barks. As the limo makes a hasty U-turn, a flock of sparrows screech and fly out of the trees. The sky is pitch-black, and it is a windless, clear, moonlight evening. Shots are heard, four in rapid succession…”

Meanwhile, in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, President Richard Nixon is on his last campaign stop of the day. In the crowd, a 23 year old University of Louisiana student named Edwin Rogers shouts: “Sic simper tyrannus” and fires three .30 caliber rounds at the President. The first round…

To Be Continued…

I see the intended effect was achieved. ;) Any predictions?

OOC: Duplessis living much beyond 1960 is near-ASB due to his abysmal health after 1958.

Last edited:
I see the intended effect was achieved. ;) Any predictions?

OOC: Duplessis living much beyond 1960 is near-ASB due to his abysmal health after 1958.

No, not with that! That is an singularity of at least the second magnitude--not as bad as, say, a rogue member of a Type III civilization deciding to experiment on us, or a comet hitting the planet, but nevertheless impossible to look beyond. Can't wait to see what happens, though!

I am still toying with the idea of updating until some point in 1964 , leaving another cliffhanger. No one expected Roy Cohn, neo-Confederates, and the Mafia to have convergent interests, did they? In the interests of titillation, I'll add one more sentence (at least, until I decide to post another update/s) to both Baton Rouge and New York.

"The first round hit President Nixon in the throat, and he fell to the ground..."

"... three ricocheted off the bulletproof Lincoln, but the fourth entered through the slightly open driver's window ..., the .45 calibre round directly impacting... splattering brain matter and bone all over the beige interior."

Last edited:
I decided to update. Tell me if you want me to continue until 1964. :p

"Louisiana State Police quickly shot Rogers dead, with the 23 year olds body riddled with 10 .38 caliber bullets from police revolvers. The second round had missed entirely; the third had hit Rex Scouten, the detail chief, in the chest. Nixon was barely conscious, though his vital signs were dropping rapidly. A loud whoop-whoop is heard as the new Presidential UH-1 helicopter alights on the field. Nixon and the Presidential detail are loaded aboard, as the Huey lifts off, heading for Baton Rouge Neuromedical Centre.

Col. Scott Ritter is on the mission of his life as the Huey approaches the roof at 90 knots: both the President and Scouten will have to be winched down, as the roof is not cleared for the helicopter’s weight. A hover is established, but the winch's whir is unheard above the sound of the rotors and the 20 knot wind. After thirty seconds, both stretchers are on the roof, shortly to arrive in Trauma Room No. 3, where Louisiana's top surgeons await.

“… and hit Matthew Turner directly in the forehead, killing him within a fraction of a second as the heavy bullet easily sliced through bone and brain. Turner never knew what hit him. The front window fogged up with detritus, as the .45 round exited the skull, tore through the headrest, and shattered the glass partition, sending glass all over the rear compartment before lodging in the reinforced rear windshield. The car came to a halt. Nearby, a pedestrian had been felled by a stray bullet. "Jesus Christ!" thought Bob Kennedy as he released his seatbelt and jumped through the shattered partition window. As sirens were heard in the distance, Kennedy threw Turner’s corpse onto the passenger's side floor, threw the wheel to the left, and slammed his foot on the accelerator, and the V-8 emitted a guttural roar as the Lincoln sped at 60 miles an hour towards Fifth Avenue. Grabbing the RT with one hand, Kennedy shouted “Code Red, Code Red!", Clunks, those of .30-06 rifle bullets, bounced harmlessly off the trunk. Kennedy was spattered in blood: not his own, but Turner's: on the blood-coated steering wheel, on his hands, and all over his face and clothes. "How the hell will I explain this to Jackie?" thought Bob as Fifth approached...

Right rear passenger window of the Continental, NYPD Forensics Lab
xin_1406042902004242220436.jpg

Jackie Kennedy was resting quietly in the apartment: she expected to return to the Long Island mansion the following day. Usually Bobby would be home at 7:30 p.m. sharp, but tonight he was late. Perhaps he wanted to finish some paperwork in order so that they could enjoy a weekend of relaxation together? After all, that had had been the case two weeks earlier...

Bobby turned the limousine into his private parking spot, and called the police. While he wanted to escape the drama and see Jackie, not to mention clean up, it would be abandoning the scene of a crime if he left the garage. Bob quickly lit a small Marlboro from his pocket pack and waited as the police arrived ten minutes later. In the interest of safety, he removed his .38 caliber pistol from the shoulder holster and thumbed the safety OFF…

"I have a good idea of who did this Lieutenant. It was either the Mafia or the Teamsters, perhaps both. We had to leave the scene, otherwise I wouldn't be here talking to you." "Of course sir, that goes without saying. We'll have to take the car for forensics." "Very well, keep me informed." "Yes sir."

“Last evening, an attempt was made on the life of District Attorney Robert Kennedy while he was returning from the U.S. Attorney’s office to his residence. The car was ambushed by multiple gunmen and Mr. Kennedy’s driver killed, though Kennedy himself was unharmed and well enough to address reporters this morning. “While such an event is quite dramatic, particularly on the day of the attempt on President Nixon’s life, I will continue to conduct my responsibilities as I have done for the past four years. Criminals will not observe a holiday just because it was not my time to be recalled.”

New York Times “Kennedy: Business as Usual”, May 16, 1960

“President Nixon is in critical condition after being shot in the throat yesterday by a lone gunman in Baton Rouge. Vice President Hugh Scott told the nation today that he would be Acting President "indefinitely” until President Nixon is cleared by his medical team to resume his full responsibilities. Leaders of both parties, including Speaker Sam Rayburn, Majority Leader Lyndon Johnson, and Alabama Governor George Wallace have all condemned the dual assassination attempts as “abhorrent, repulsive, and entirely un-American.”
New York Times: “Nixon in Critical Condition”, May 16, 1960

“As soon as the dust settled, all three levels of government were cooperating in solving these two cases. I was under the impression, later proven correct in the reports submitted to the President, that the attempt on Nixon’s life and the one on my own were connected. I also had the distinct impression that an unholy alliance had emerged between the Teamsters, organized crime and the resurgent radical right. Based in the Midwest, Northeast and South respectively, they had to be neutered before they formed an “iron triangle” in direct opposition to the federal government. That had happened in the 1920s and both parties quickly set themselves the task of revising the criminal law and internal security statutes to meet the challenge.”
Robert Kennedy interviewed, 1991

THE NAVAL OBSERVATORY

MAY 17, 1960

ATTN: DEPUTY ATTORNEY GENERAL

RE: KENNEDY, DCSM

“Bill,
Kennedy is to be awarded the Distinguished Civilian Service Award: the committee has no objections and he certainly deserves it. There are two honorees from the Secret Service, so this will be a public ceremony. In addition, he is to be provided with Secret Service protection.”

V.P. H.D.S.

Last edited:
Pretty good--I'm not going to say no to a continuance. The bit about Kennedy's direct feelings and behavior is a little bit questionable. It's kind of...I dunno...over the top. Also, I think you missed an end quote after "Code Red, Code Red". Other than that, pretty good!

I'll cut out the last part, don't worry.

Now there's another POD. Will the Feds readjust to the "Iron Triangle"? Besides, what about Nixon? Is he dead or alive? All in the next updates! ;)

“He’s going to make it sir, but it will require two weeks of rest. Vice President Scott will have to become Acting President in the interim.”

THE OVAL OFFICE
MAY 14, 1960
ATTN: ART SUMMERFIELD, CHMN RNC
RE: VP NOMINATION
“ART,
SCOTT IS TO BE DROPPED; GOLDWATER WILL REPLACE HIM IN THE VP SLOT. FOUR YEARS HENCE, HE WILL BE OUR NOMINEE COME HELL OR HIGH WATER.”
THE PRESIDENT

“Sir, here’s something you might want to hear.”
GIANCANA: Why the hell didn’t you get the little son of a bitch!
UNKNOWN #1: He has an armored limo: we don’t have any weapons that can penetrate. I explained why last week. We’ll get him next time.
GIANCANA: There won’t be a next time! He’s probably got a fucking infantry company with him wherever he goes! You blew it, and someone will pay the price for this. The feds are disoriented- Nixon’s near death and Scott’s a weakling. We must expand our operations across the South- before they get on to us again!”
(GUNSHOT)
STATIC
UNKNOWN #2: We’re ready to move. Hoffa’s ready to help us out if we give him some muscle.
GIANCANA: I don’t trust him- keep an arm’s length and you know what to do if things get dangerous.
END OF RECORDING

“It will be Nixon again. Humphrey-Hill will be our nominees in November, and Nixon’s reportedly going to dump Hugh Scott for someone else. I’m still working that story Bob.”
Jack to Bobby Kennedy, July 6

“Canada was now led by Daniel Johnson Sr., Duplessis’ former deputy and closest Cabinet confidante. While a longtime supporter of the security state set up by Duplessis, Johnson’s focus was on the economy. Conservatives set themselves the goal of 3% per year GDP growth on average and this goal began to be realized by 1962-3.”
Blue Thunder: Tories from Macdonald to Mackay by Bob Plamondon

“I can’t say that the battle was easy: I was dumping Scott for Goldwater. Scott didn’t want to go. After very heated argument, he agreed to go quietly without much ado. Times had changed, and either the party would adapt or lose in November. That’s what happened, even if a little blood was spilled along the way.”
Richard Nixon interviewed, 1991

“If re-elected in November, I pledge to make the fight against crime the Administration’s top domestic priority.”- President Nixon stumping in Ohio, Aug. 25

“They’re right, you know. No one’s ever the same after they’ve been shot at. Hopefully he’s learned his lesson about trying to play a double game: you get them all or you get none of them. Since the latter is not an option, the Administration will have to get their hands dirty. I’d like to think I know more about that subject than Nixon.”
Robert Kennedy to Robert Morgenthau, Sept. 16

U.S. presidential election, Nov. 8
genusmap.php

(R) Richard M. Nixon/ Barry M. Goldwater: 287 EV, 50.6%
(D) Hubert H. Humphrey/Lister J. Hill: 250 EV, 49.2%
Incumbent President: Richard Nixon (R)
Congressional- House
Republican: 235 seats (+20)
Democratic: 200 seats
Incumbent Speaker: Sam Rayburn (D-TX)
Speaker-elect: Charles Halleck (R-IN)

Congressional-Senate
Democratic: 61 seats (-2)
Republican: 39 seats
Incumbent Majority Leader: Lyndon Johnson (D-TX)

Jan. 20, 1961: “I, Richard Milhous Nixon, do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States and will preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, so help me God.”

“Twelve years of the American security state has changed surprisingly little throughout the country. Despite new restrictions on passports and the recent spike in organized crime, one must look below the surface to find much change in the political atmosphere. Democrats and Republicans, while differing on economics, have reached a cross-aisle agreement on security matters. What has changed is the increasing intransigence of Southern politicians, ever since radical white supremacists were suspected of being behind the assassination attempt against President Richard Nixon. Many have signaled that they are ready to reform the “Dixiecrat” party and leave the Democrats for their increasing support for the 1958 Civil Rights Act.”
Alistair Cooke BBC broadcast, April 1961

“District Attorney Robert Kennedy today announced the indictment of Teamsters president James Hoffa for jury tampering, along with his lawyer, Roy Cohn, on charges of tax fraud. The trial is expected to take up to a year, under heavy publicity.”
New York Times, May 10

“Give me a break. Kennedy will be prosecuting Hoffa and Cohn. That should be fun for all involved, eh? This will be all-out war, with winners and losers. There is nothing in between.”
Anonymous, May 30

“Hoffa and Cohn were two of the toughest defendants to crack during my career: everything was riding on this. If we secured convictions, I could once again gaze upwards, towards the political sphere. Losing was not an option, so I did everything in my power to ensure victory.”
Robert Kennedy interviewed, 1990

“Nice people finish last.”- attributed to Robert Kennedy, 1966

“If Hoffa is convicted, that will have broken one arm of the iron triangle. There is still organized crime and the South, and those are national problems that must be dealt with on a federal level. We are this close to securing a conviction, and woe is unto the person who screws this up. Do I make myself perfectly clear?”
Robert Kennedy in inter-office memo, June 21

“Teamsters president James Hoffa was found guilty in a unanimous verdict on charges of jury tampering yesterday. His lawyer, Roy Cohn, was convicted on three counts of tax fraud. Both men will be sentenced on Aug. 7th and have made clear that they will appeal the ruling up to the Supreme Court…”
New York Times: HOFFA CONVICTED, July 7, 1961

“Yes, the rumors that have been swirling about are true. I am declaring my candidacy for…”
- Robert Kennedy, Sept. 17

“He’s going to make it sir, but it will require two weeks of rest. Vice President Scott will have to become Acting President in the interim.”

THE OVAL OFFICE

MAY 14, 1960

ATTN: ART SUMMERFIELD, CHMN RNC

RE: VP NOMINATION

“ART,
SCOTT IS TO BE DROPPED; GOLDWATER WILL REPLACE HIM IN THE VP SLOT. FOUR YEARS HENCE, HE WILL BE OUR NOMINEE COME HELL OR HIGH WATER.”
THE PRESIDENT

“Sir, here’s something you might want to hear.”
GIANCANA: Why the hell didn’t you get the little son of a bitch!
UNKNOWN #1: He has an armored limo: we don’t have any weapons that can penetrate. I explained why last week. We’ll get him next time.
GIANCANA: There won’t be a next time! He’s probably got a fucking infantry company with him wherever he goes! You blew it, and someone will pay the price for this. The feds are disoriented- Nixon’s near death and Scott’s a weakling. We must expand our operations across the South- before they get on to us again!”
(GUNSHOT)
STATIC
UNKNOWN #2: We’re ready to move. Hoffa’s ready to help us out if we give him some muscle.
GIANCANA: I don’t trust him- keep an arm’s length and you know what to do if things get dangerous.
END OF RECORDING

“It will be Nixon again. Humphrey-Hill will be our nominees in November, and Nixon’s reportedly going to dump Hugh Scott for someone else. I’m still working that story Bob.”
Jack to Bobby Kennedy, July 6

“Canada was now led by Daniel Johnson Sr., Duplessis’ former deputy and closest Cabinet confidante. While a longtime supporter of the security state set up by Duplessis, Johnson’s focus was on the economy. Conservatives set themselves the goal of 3% per year GDP growth on average and this goal began to be realized by 1962-3.”
Blue Thunder: Tories from Macdonald to Mackay by Bob Plamondon

“I can’t say that the battle was easy: I was dumping Scott for Goldwater. Scott didn’t want to go. After very heated argument, he agreed to go quietly without much ado. Times had changed, and either the party would adapt or lose in November. That’s what happened, even if a little blood was spilled along the way.”
Richard Nixon interviewed, 1991

“If re-elected in November, I pledge to make the fight against crime the Administration’s top domestic priority.”- President Nixon stumping in Ohio, Aug. 25

“They’re right, you know. No one’s ever the same after they’ve been shot at. Hopefully he’s learned his lesson about trying to play a double game: you get them all or you get none of them. Since the latter is not an option, the Administration will have to get their hands dirty. I’d like to think I know more about that subject than Nixon.”
Robert Kennedy to Robert Morgenthau, Sept. 16

U.S. presidential election, Nov. 8
genusmap.php

(R) Richard M. Nixon/ Barry M. Goldwater: 287 EV, 50.6%
(D) Hubert H. Humphrey/Lister J. Hill: 250 EV, 49.2%
Incumbent President: Richard Nixon (R)

Congressional- House
Republican: 235 seats (+20)
Democratic: 200 seats
Incumbent Speaker: Sam Rayburn (D-TX)
Speaker-elect: Charles Halleck (R-IN)

Congressional-Senate
Democratic: 61 seats (-2)
Republican: 39 seats

Jan. 20, 1961: “I, Richard Milhous Nixon, do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States and will preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, so help me God.”

“Twelve years of the American security state has changed surprisingly little throughout the country. Despite new restrictions on passports and the recent spike in organized crime, one must look below the surface to find much change in the political atmosphere. Democrats and Republicans, while differing on economics, have reached a cross-aisle agreement on security matters. What has changed is the increasing intransigence of Southern politicians, ever since radical white supremacists were suspected of being behind the assassination attempt against President Richard Nixon. Many have signaled that they are ready to reform the “Dixiecrat” party and leave the Democrats for their increasing support for the 1958 Civil Rights Act.”
Alistair Cooke BBC broadcast, April 1961

“District Attorney Robert Kennedy today announced the indictment of Teamsters president James Hoffa for jury tampering, along with his lawyer, Roy Cohn, on charges of tax fraud. The trial is expected to take up to a year, under heavy publicity.”
New York Times, May 10

“Give me a break. Kennedy will be prosecuting Hoffa and Cohn. That should be fun for all involved, eh? This will be all-out war, with winners and losers. There is nothing in between.”
Anonymous, May 30

“Hoffa and Cohn were two of the toughest defendants to crack during my career: everything was riding on this. If we secured convictions, I could once again gaze upwards, towards the political sphere. Losing was not an option, so I did everything in my power to ensure victory.”
Robert Kennedy interviewed, 1990

“Nice people finish last.”- attributed to Robert Kennedy, 1966

“If Hoffa is convicted, that will have broken one arm of the iron triangle. There is still organized crime and the South, and those are national problems that must be dealt with on a federal level. We are this close to securing a conviction, and woe is unto the person who screws this up. Do I make myself perfectly clear?”
Robert Kennedy in inter-office memo, June 21

“Teamsters president James Hoffa was found guilty in a unanimous verdict on charges of jury tampering yesterday. His lawyer, Roy Cohn, was convicted on three counts of tax fraud. Both men will be sentenced on Aug. 7th and have made clear that they will appeal the ruling up to the Supreme Court…”
New York Times: HOFFA CONVICTED, July 7, 1961

“Yes, the rumors that have been swirling about are true. I am declaring my candidacy for…”
- Robert Kennedy, Sept. 17

The reforming of the Dixiecrat Party is going to hurt the Democratic Party, unless they capture some moderate republican votes in the North.

“I am declaring my candidacy for the Democratic gubernatorial nomination in 1962. It has become abundantly clear to me that new leadership is required in Albany, which Governor Rockefeller has failed to provide over these past four years.”
Robert Kennedy press conference, Sept. 17

“Can you imagine? The kid’s going to run without electoral experience, but rather as an anti-crime crusader. I hope he realizes that this is the second-toughest job in the country, and he’s by no means ready for it.”
Gov. Rockefeller, privately

“What did I tell you? Wasn’t it perfectly obvious to all involved? There is no love lost between Nelson and me, but Kennedy is not moving into the Governor’s Mansion in Albany. You are authorized to spend whatever is required to keep Bobby Kennedy out of the governor’s chair.”
President Nixon to RNC Chairman Ray Bliss, Oct. 4

UK general election, Dec. 6
630 Commons seats
Labour: 345 seats
Conservative: 265 seats
Liberal: 12 seats
Other: 8 seats
Incumbent Prime Minister: Richard Butler (Con)
Subsequent Prime Minister: Hugh Gaitskell (Lab)

“Now that I’ve moved to London, I’ve been out of contact from home for a while. Despite Labour’s election rhetoric, Gaitskell is hardly a socialist: more left-of-centre in my opinion. They don’t call it Butskellism for nothing. Like the rest of us, we all have to tithe toward Brother Bob’s gubernatorial bid, which he has an excellent shot at winning.”
JFK Diaries, Jan. 2, 1962

Canadian federal election, Feb. 6
265 Commons seats
Conservative: 155 seats
Liberal: 110 seats
Incumbent Prime Minister: Daniel Johnson (Tory)

“In 1962, Nixon had formed an Organized Crime Task Force, attempting to bypass Hoover’s FBI. Hoover, understandably, was infuriated and did everything in his power to reclaim the lost jurisdiction. Despite his apparently cordial relationship with the President, Hoover never forgave Nixon for this encroachment on his territory and their relationship suffered accordingly.”
Richard Nixon: A Life in Full by Conrad Black

“Rumour has it that the Director’s enemies list has three front-runners: Bill Rogers, Quinn Tamm and Bobby Kennedy. Not necessarily in that order.”
Deputy Attorney General Rogers to President Nixon, Mar. 1

DEPT OF JUSTICE MEMORANDUM

ATTN: DEPUTY AG

MAR. 31, 1962

“Mr. Brownell,
Our office has prepared indictments against several senior Mafia people in New York. Joe Valachi broke omerta and has spilled the beans to an unprecedented degree. This development’s consequences are of extraordinary importance to all of us, and I hope for the full support of the Administration in breaking the second of the three rings.”
P.S.: I will not ask you to make the ultimate sacrifice and support me over Gov. Rockefeller.

“I don’t think the anti-Mafia fight was ever wholly successful, at least not until Hoover retired in 1965. He was too ashamed of the fact that over four decades, the Bureau had been almost laughably incompetent in battling the Mafia. If he had put 10% of the resources that he devoted to battling a CPUSA whose membership largely consisted of moles into organized crime, the problem would’ve been eradicated by the early 1950s in my estimation.”
Robert Kennedy interviewed, 1991

“President Richard Nixon and Prime Minister Hugh Gaitskell today announced the commencement of trade talks aimed at a free-trade agreement between Britain and the United States. Opposition is expected from some Democrats and many in Gaitskell’s own Labour Party. Talks are expected to last until late 1963 at the earliest, perhaps after the next presidential election if significant barriers arise.”
New York Times: “FTA Talks Underway” May 9, 1962

“This deal has an excellent shot of going through if both Nixon & Gaitskell can push it past the extremists in their respective parties. Both countries economies will benefit immensely, though less so if Gaitskell tries to put Clause IV into practice under pressure from Luddites like Wilson.”
JFK Diaries, July 3

New York Democratic Convention, July 26
Gubernatorial
Robert F. Kennedy: 56.7%
Frank M. O’Connor: 42.2%

Attorney General
Robert Morgenthau: 50.6%

THE WHITE HOUSE

ATTN: STATE CHMN, NY

AUG. 15, 1962

RE: GUBERNATORIAL RACE

“Nothing unusual has occurred. If Rockefeller loses in November, there will be serious problems for us in the future. I’m not talking on a state level either. That kid is obscenely ambitious and we all know he’s not going to sit on his ass in Albany forever. I have sent you via the National Committee some people who may be of use.”

“Nixon’s being sincere for once in his life. I think this is a dream, isn’t it?”- Gov. Rockefeller, privately

“Today President Richard Nixon and Prime Minister Hugh Gaitskell signed BAFTA into law, despite significant opposition from members of their own party. Both leaders hailed the “new chapter in the Special Relationship” as exemplified by the agreement. In the House, the FTA passed by only a 237-198 margin, but by a 93-7 margin in the Senate. Over 25% of Labour MPs voted against the agreement, which does not bode well for Gaitskell when a mandatory leadership review is conducted later this year.”
New York Times: “BAFTA RATIFIED BY NIXON, GAITSKELL IN LONDON”, Sept. 23, 1962

“For heaven’s sake, this is a political gold mine: the President can’t unify his own party in an election year. Did you leave your balls behind in the Oval Office after meeting Nixon? If not, you’re doing a damn good job of concealing the fact.”
- Robert Kennedy to NY congressional delegation, Oct. 9

We’re in the home stretch, don’t you dare lose it.”

- Gov. Rockefeller to Lt. Gov. Malcolm Wilson, Nov. 2

Midterm elections, Nov. 7
House
Republican: 237 seats (+2)
Democratic: 198 seats
Incumbent Speaker: Charles Halleck (R-IN)

Senate
Democratic: 60 seats (-1)
Republican: 40 seats

New York gubernatorial election, 1962
(D) Robert F. Kennedy: 50.6%
(R) Gov. Nelson A. Rockefeller: 48.2%
Incumbent Governor: Nelson Rockefeller (R)
Governor-elect: Robert Kennedy (D)

(D) Robert M. Morgenthau: 54.3%
(R) Louis J. Lefkowitz: 45.6%
Incumbent Attorney General: Louis Lefkowitz (R)
A.G.-elect: Robert Morgenthau (D)

Governor-elect Kennedy confers with outgoing Gov. Nelson Rockefeller in Albany, Dec. 9, 1962

Robert_F_Kennedy_1964.jpg

“Yesterday’s midterm elections brought mixed results for the Nixon Administration. Republicans gained two seats in the House and one seat in the Senate. The biggest surprise was the defeat of Gov. Nelson Rockefeller by Democratic District Attorney Robert Kennedy by fewer than 100,000 votes, and a Democratic state sweep. Rockefeller conceded to Kennedy early this morning, while Kennedy promised “my utmost cooperation with Governor Rockefeller during the transitional period.” Kennedy is set to be sworn in as Governor on Jan. 1, along with the rest of his incoming administration.”

MIDTERMS: CONGRESS STAYS RED, NY GETS THE BLUES: New York Times, Nov. 8, 1962

Pretty interesting--is a British-American Free Trade Agreement really likely at this point? Aside from the EEC, I can't recall many such at this time.

And interesting hints about Hoover--someone must either be cleaner than Lysol or have such a huge bag of dirt on him...

And Bobby's moving on up in the world pretty fast. Glad to see there's no love lost between him and Nixon--wonder how the '64 election is going to play out. Will Nixon run again? What of the interaction between the three operators that could plausibly go for it (Nixon, Kennedy, and Johnson)?

Actually, Nixon and Bobby dislike each other personally (IOTL and ITTL), but respect each other's professionalism in the Rovian arts. They are very different personalities, but I'll sum it up in this way. Nixon hated silence, and once told a reporter how to slice a tomato properly (having been a waiter as a kid). Bobby, by contrast, would stare at his shoes and speak in monosyllables if you bored him, but could be very warm and animated if the subject was of interest.

As for '64: I'm not revealing my cards, but think about who resides in the Naval Observatory. ;) Someone whom John McCain would be familiar with. Also, Johnson's been defeated twice for the Democratic nomination.

Last edited:
Awesome, I think you should have mentioned the "Happy" Problem as being one of the only major reasons Bobby being able to thrawt the immensley popular Rocky as he and Ethel have always been the strongest Familial unit out of the entire clan. Lol, as for Barry winning the Presidency...I think he may get in a squeeker especially if former VP Hugh Scott(Filling Rocky's void as champion of the Moderate wing) challenges him for the nomination. If this were my timeline, I would have had Tricky Dick die in office from complications of his Phelebitis as a way to ensure that Goldwater can win the nomination unchallenged and win the '64 election in his own right lol(Im always a stalwart fan of the Twenty year curse).

As for potential Democratic Nominees...The party needs to build on their gains they made in the Rust belt or atleast weaken Goldwater on the West coast. So that means someone like former Governor Soapy Williams of Michigan, Senator Joseph S. Clark of Pennsylvannia, Governor Pat Brown of California or Senator Scoop Jackson of Washington...would all be strong choices. At least as a Sacrificial lamb, untill Bobby reaches that special "Sixth Year" for Governor's in 68 lol...Keep it comming:D

Ah yes, the "Happy problem" did weaken Rocky fatally among conservative Protestants. Kennedy was sympathetic: "Gov. Rockefeller's private life is not the issue facing New York, nor shall I make it one. His record is."

Actually, Nixon and Bobby dislike each other personally (IOTL and ITTL), but respect each other's professionalism in the Rovian arts. They are very different personalities, but I'll sum it up in this way. Nixon hated silence, and once told a reporter how to slice a tomato properly (having been a waiter as a kid). Bobby, by contrast, would stare at his shoes and speak in monosyllables if you bored him, but could be very warm and animated if the subject was of interest.

As for '64: I'm not revealing my cards, but think about who resides in the Naval Observatory. ;) Someone whom John McCain would be familiar with. Also, Johnson's been defeated twice for the Democratic nomination.

Should be very interesting indeed.