Preview: A Time to Remember (NA Dystopia)

“It was a clear, beautiful day on the Cape aboard the USS America. The carrier was enroute to Elizabethtown, its new forward operating base. America would rendezvous with HMS Eagle before the trilateral Status of Forces Agreement was signed in Pretoria on June 16th. The battle group was expected to arrive in Elizabethtown by nightfall, barring unforeseen circumstances. Those expecting a smooth voyage were largely correct. Unbeknownst to all but the fleet commander, a distinguished visitor would be arriving the following day.”

“Mr. President, there’s an urgent phone call from the White House regarding your brother.” “Thank you.” “Mr. President, your brother cornered one of my assistants and asked her to… you get the picture.” “Which brother are you speaking of Ms. Thomas?” “I believe it was Ted, though I am not entirely sure.” “Did you see this with your own eyes?” “I only heard the invitation.” “Thank you.”
Conversation between President Robert Kennedy and UPI White House correspondent Helen Thomas, June 8th

“Ultimately, the President informed his father and let the situation resolve itself. That it did, but the family would never be the same again. As Bobby put it himself “we went from a unitary state to the West Indies Federation, which was painful but necessary. I was not going to sacrifice my life’s ambition for Ted and Jack’s utter lack of self-control on occasion.”
The Kennedys and the Fitzgeralds by Doris Kearns Goodwin

“I inked the SOFA with PT & HV at a well-publicized ceremony in Cape Town. I’m still utterly convinced that this was the right thing to do, despite a minor outburst from civil rights groups. In my opinion, South Africa’s internal affairs are theirs alone, none of our business. Despite some heartfelt sentiment towards Ulster, the same principles apply. I’m a foreign affairs realist, not a Wilsonian. You can’t cut off relations with 80% of the world because those countries don’t have our standards.”
RFK Diaries, June 28

“On July 5, 1969 Jean-Luc Pepin’s Liberal Cabinet had decided to coordinate the building of more psychiatric facilities and orphanages, which would accommodate the mentally ill, the disabled and reported homosexuals. Infamously, Pepin said “you can’t shrink a subversive, but you can cloister all these abnormal people away from the public eye.” In 2005 the McLachlin Commission would find administrators had committed “gross violations of human rights”, but the report was never publicly released by the incumbent Tories due to the Domestic Security Act.”
Canada: A Postwar History

“1969 was a year of action for the Thorneycroft government: British Rail, along with the utilities, was privatized. More state-owned industries were to follow, and this was just the “tip of the iceberg” to quote Thorneycroft himself. Kennedy was following this trend with interest, but could not follow the privatization innovation, as a Democratic President. He decided to open up the postal and airline markets to competition, despite opposition from within his own party. On Sept. 2, the first day of the new Congressional session, the administration sent the relevant legislation to the House.”
Pursuer of Justice: The Life of Robert Kennedy by Conrad Black

“What’s the matter? Are you afraid of competition? Are you complacent? Complacency breeds mediocrity.”- President Kennedy to US airline executives, Sept. 6

“In recent weeks there has been little that has come across my desk of note. Nelson wants to open up relations with China, and I’ve authorized indirect talks through intermediaries. Abe Ribicoff says that the Jewish groups want to meet with me to discuss “concerns over Administration policies regarding the Middle East”. Apparently I’m some sort of anti-Semitic Arabist who has religious convictions on these questions. Either these people are incredibly ignorant, stupid, or racist. I’m not taking back (1) one word of what I said: and they can fuck themselves if they don’t like it. Abe and Arthur agree that they’re being assholes, but that “uneasiness” permeates the community-at-large. I’ll just ignore them- I’m not giving these pricks a shred of credibility if I can help it.”
RFK Diaries, Oct. 17

“I’ve never been the same since they performed that (SHRIEKS) electrode testing on me. They had the impression that somehow, this would cure my sexual identity. Now I want to kill myself (SOBS)!”
Witness Q521 testimony to McLachlin Commission, 1996

FBI INTERNAL MEMO

11/30/69

ATTN: BILL SULLIVAN, ISD

RE: WHITE HOUSE STAFF

“Mr. Sullivan,
P wishes to investigate possibility of homosexuals on the White House staff. He says that any found are to be “removed in a discrete and efficient manner”. P recommends caution before any allegations are made.”
J. Edgar Hoover

“Over the Christmas break, I escaped to Vermont for some fun on the slopes between Christmas and New Year’s. Upon our return, I polished up the State of the Union, which had been largely written during that period. The UN had already declared Apr. 22 Earth Day. I wanted to replicate what I had done in New York with the environment. Consumer safety was also a top priority which would gather bipartisan support.”
Robert Kennedy interviewed, 1987

“This session, this Administration is sending bills to the Congress that will improve the working environment for all Americans. On the more literal level, I am proposing that Congress create an Environmental Protection Agency, whose function will be to draw up nationwide environmental standards for manufactured goods produced in the United States… With regards to the recent stories in the media regarding consumer protection, I ask you to enact the Consumer Safety and Occupational Health and Safety bills with all possible speed. Childproofing prescription drugs is not, and should never be a partisan issue.”
President Robert Kennedy’s State of the Union Address, Jan. 13, 1970

“Adding environmental and labour standards to AAFTA and CAFTA shouldn’t be too difficult given our similar standards of living. Whether or not Peter wants it modified is another question.”
President Kennedy to British Ambassador David Harlech, Jan. 19

1) That was the (incorrect) popular impression many Jews had of Kennedy IOTL, mixed in with an exaggeration of his Bush Sr.-like views on Israel.

Last edited:
Bumping in hope of commentary. Yes, the family drama has not resolved itself. Everyone has a breaking point, and the next installment might or might not cover that in depth. ;)

I'm enjoying the updates so far, RB. :) Is homosexuality persecuted ITTL Canada and US?

EDIT: And it seems this is more of a proper timeline rather than a "preview". :p

Yes, homosexuality is persecuted to a degree. Flight of Fate showed you RFK's feelings on the matter, which are not exaggerated. The man was deeply socially conservative and there's no use pretending otherwise. I promise more family drama next week, with the next update. ;)

2) The McLachlin Commission (named after the OTL/TTL Chief Justice Beverly McLachlin) was a Canadian version of the TRC. It was set up by the Liberal government in 1992, and issued its final report on July 1, 1997. Coincidentally, the TL ends before 1997, though I'll post some of the report's findings in the epilogue.

I wonder what the list for potential runners in the GOP Primaries will be like in 1972? Anyway's can't wait to see what you have Bobby do different as President ITTL from Flights of Fate...Keep it Comming RB

Bumping in hope of commentary. Yes, the family drama has not resolved itself. Everyone has a breaking point, and the next installment might or might not cover that in depth. ;)
How will the Britons react to the privatizations?
Keep up the good work, RogueBeaver!:)

Let me put it this way: both Kennedy and Thorneycroft are taking on the liberal wings of their parties. Whether or not the electorate agrees with them, remains to be seen. Thorneycroft hasn't touched the mines. Yet... ;)

“Throughout the winter of 1970, we contemplated the next item on the agenda: a new healthcare system that would cover most Americans. Single-payer was ruled out by the President from the outset, and Kennedy expressed a desire for a public-private system. ‘If the government could provide the basics and the private sector the rest, we would have an excellent chance of accomplishing this goal’. He set out the parameters of what he would sign or veto in a long memo to Joe Califano on Jan. 31, and HEW began drafting a bill. “I want EPA, OSHA and CPA on my desk for signature by Easter before such an important initiative is submitted”. Those deadlines put everyone under a lot of pressure, which was what Kennedy had intended.”
Fred Dutton interviewed by Doris Kearns Goodwin, 1994

The White House, Mar. 19, 1970

830 EST

“Senators, Mr. Mills, you may enter. With that encouragement, Senators Richard Russell (D-GA), Russell Long (D-LA) and Ralph Yarborough (D-TX) entered the Oval Office. Leading them was House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Wilbur Mills (D-AR), known as the “Wilbur the Wizard”, as the Congressional barons were summoned to meet the President. Robert Kennedy was in his usual chair besides the Presidential desk. “Gentlemen, you know why I have asked you here. We have passed OSHA, EPA and CPA within a very short period of time. I want healthcare passed by November.
MILLS: “Mr. President, this timetable is unrealistic.” Mills did not get a response: he heard a click as the President lit a Bavarian cigar. He’s got the HELP Chairman here, and does that. Kennedy is insufferable as always.
KENNEDY (through his cigar): “Mr. Mills, are you willing to go to the voters in November without having passed healthcare for those without insurance? This is not something which can be delayed: it requires action here and now.”
MILLS: “Mr. President, there have to be some sort of cost controls. You know as well as I the perils of doing otherwise.”
The President exhaled, releasing a tobacco cloud into his barons’ faces.
KENNEDY: The cost controls will be in the public option Mr. Mills. This way, the insurance companies and HMOs will have to charge fair prices. As always, there will be a safety net with Medicare and Medicaid. My deadline is the August recess.
RUSSELL: “Mr. President, your deadline will be met, but at the cost of delaying the civil rights legislation.”
KENNEDY: “Senator, I am not trading one basic right for another. Open housing is just as fundamental as healthcare in my opinion. I have seen children starving in Mississippi and Indian children living in Third World conditions in Nebraska. How can you tolerate such a thing in the most affluent nation in recorded history? It is indecent Senator, immoral and wrong.”
YARBOUROUGH: “The President is correct: we all remember the Depression. That is what he is talking about: in some forgotten corners of America, it never ended.”
KENNEDY: “Not all of us remember the Depression Ralph.”

THE WHITE HOUSE

07/05/70

ATTN: DNC CHMN ROBERT STRAUSS

RE: DSCC/DSHC

“Bob,
I am sending Don Russell down South to campaign for Bentsen in Texas. Bush is well-funded and we cannot afford to lose all our Dixie seats. If we can hold, or even make gains, then the floodgates will open for 1972- which I have a personal stake in. In regards to Bill Knowland’s seat: I will be sponsoring Willie Brown in California. A black Democratic Senator will sound a powerful message, particularly with Ed Brooke’s gubernatorial victory back home in Mass. I believe this is long overdue and would appreciate it very much if you’d spread the word to the State Committee.”

P.S.: I thank you for the ten-gallon hat, but rest assured I haven’t worn it anywhere where photographers would see. More conventional riding gear would be required in said scenario.

All the best,
Bob

DNC Chairman Robert Strauss, 1970. Close ties with the White House led some to call the Democratic Party the "Boston-Austin Axis".

“With these two new arms deals, Kennedy’s redefined American interests in Asia and the Far East. All arms supplied to Israel will also be supplied to Turkey, and the Brits equip the rest of the region. Israel has not complained as loudly as expected, partially because Turkey is their sole Arab ally. Also, P personally called Yigal Allon and told him of the new policy. I agree wholeheartedly with the new policy, though AIPAC begs to differ. In effect, Kennedy told them to go fly a kite, which has hurt his already murky reputation in the Jewish community.”
Nixon Diaries, June 30

UN Ambassador Richard Nixon with Secretary-General U Thant, July 1970. Kennedy's appointments of Nixon and Rockefeller largely defused GOP criticism of his foreign policy.
UN-Nixon-U-Thant-4w.jpg

“Do you know how arrogant those pricks were? They think that the policy is unflinching and static. That region will never be peaceful if we’re seen as a constant Israeli cheerleader. That’s why I need to assume the role of honest broker, “Arabist” reputation be damned. Not that the Republicans will offer them a better deal either. Dick Nixon’s taken care of that for me.”
- Kennedy Tapes, July 11, 1970: Conversation between President Robert Kennedy and Sen. Abraham Ribicoff (D-CT)

AIPAC founder Isaiah Kennen with Ted Kennedy, 1970. In January 1971, the US State Department classified the lobby group as an Israeli foreign agent on direct orders from the White House, with President Robert Kennedy, backed by UN Ambassador Richard Nixon, overriding the objections Secretary of State Nelson Rockefeller. This conflict would lead to Rockefeller's resignation later that year.
ted-sy.jpg

WHITE HOUSE TAPES: 09/09/70
“Mr. President, Prime Minister Thorneycroft on 8864.”
KENNEDY: “Good afternoon Peter. How comes the national diet?”
THORNEYCROFT: “Fine yourself Bob. Surprisingly the polls are showing increased support for our programme. My next long-term objective is to neuter the miners.”
KENNEDY: “That’s going to be a tough, but ultimately necessary challenge. I doubt even many in your own party have the balls for such an undertaking.”
THORNEYCROFT: Bob, I’ve been stockpiling coal for the past few months in the case of such an eventuality. Once the ban on public-sector and essential service strikes go through…”
KENNEDY: “One at a time, otherwise they’ll lose their nerve and try to sock you in the nose like my five year old.”
THORNEYCROFT: “That’s what Enoch said.”

END OF RECORDING

British Prime Minister Peter Thorneycroft, 1971. Many Americans saw the invigoration of the "Special Relationship" being partially due to what one British journalist called a "uncle-nephew" relationship between the 62 year old Prime Minister and 45 year old President.

50498156.jpg

“Here’s hoping for a victory.”

Congressional elections, Nov. 5
Democratic: 252 seats (-10)
Republican: 183 seats
Incumbent Speaker: Hale Boggs (D-LA)

Senate
Democratic: 53 seats (-1)
Republican: 47 seats
Incumbent Majority Leader: Mike Mansfield (D-MT)

California Senate election, 1970
(D) Willie D. Brown: 50.3%
(R) Sen. George L. Murphy: 49.7%
Incumbent Senator: George Murphy (R)
Senator-elect: Willie Brown (D)
California gubernatorial election, 1970
(R) Lt. Gov. Robert L. Finch: 57.1%
(D) Rep. John V. Tunney: 42.4%
Incumbent Governor: Pat Brown (D)
Governor-elect: Robert Finch (R)

New York gubernatorial election, 1970
(R) Gov. Malcolm Wilson: 54.7%
(D) Rep. Edward I. Koch: 45.2%
Incumbent Governor: Malcolm Wilson (R)

Last edited:
Cool Senator Willie Brown in a close election against the Proto-Reagan George Murphey and with Ed Brooke deciding to go after the Governership, he may be Ogling a shot at the nomination in '76. Can't wait to see what happens to Bobby's Presidency in the lead up to '72...Keep it comming RB

snip
“I received news that Daniel Johnson died of a heart attack late last night. He’d called to congratulate me the night of the election, and now there might be a struggle for succession between various Cabinet ministers. In the end, it will be Jean-Guy Cardinal, who has a plan for the country. Nor do I think the Tories will be in much longer: after two decades it’s time for a change. Pepin will be a breath of fresh air in my opinion.”
RFK Diaries, Feb. 3

Canadian Prime Minister Jean-Guy Cardinal, 1969

cardjg.jpg

snip
Canadian PMs are dying in office all over the place!