WI Scopes Trial ends different

I take it you've never lived in rural Tennessee? The verdict in the Scopes Trial was never in question. The Bible is king here, and no sane judge from that era would dare rule against its literal interpretation being expressed as gospel in the public school system.

Try to understand... the biology textbooks used in Tennessee high schools included the Genesis creation myth to "explain" the origins of life until the late 1950's (my parents were unfortunate enough to have endured them), and would still do so today if local governments thought that they could get away with it (i.e. avoid being sued in federal courts and losing). Even when I was in high school in the early 1990's, my public school science teachers refused to say anything about evolution, other than to suggest that it was "a conspiracy" and was categorically refuted by (insert absurd creationist arguement here).

Acording to the Onion there was a surprise witness, Cornelius, a super-intelligent chimp from the future. Couldn't his testimony have turned the tide?

I take it you've never lived in rural Tennessee? The verdict in the Scopes Trial was never in question. The Bible is king here, and no sane judge from that era would dare rule against its literal interpretation being expressed as gospel in the public school system.
But it should be possible if the defense counsel was good enough to convince the jury.
Try to understand... the biology textbooks used in Tennessee high schools included the Genesis creation myth to "explain" the origins of life until the late 1950's (my parents were unfortunate enough to have endured them), and would still do so today if local governments thought that they could get away with it (i.e. avoid being sued in federal courts and losing). Even when I was in high school in the early 1990's, my public school science teachers refused to say anything about evolution, other than to suggest that it was "a conspiracy" and was categorically refuted by (insert absurd creationist arguement here).
No comment.
Acording to the Onion there was a surprise witness, Cornelius, a super-intelligent chimp from the future. Couldn't his testimony have turned the tide?
Stay serious!

But it should be possible if the defense counsel was good enough to convince the jury.

The defense had Clarence Darrow for their attorney. Who pray tell me was better than him? There is no way you can beat hillbilly justice of that time period. Heck it is tough now, ask people who live in the south today.