WI: MacArthur in 1944

Vultan's speculation in The Red's D-Day fails scenario has got me thinking... If Douglas MacArthur did manage to win the Republican nomination and then the presidency in 1944, following a disaster at D-Day, how would he run the war and the peace?

Last edited:
Vultan's speculation in The Red's D-Day fails scenario has got me thinking... If Douglas MacArthur did manage to win the Republican nomination and then the presidency in 1944, following a disaster at D-Day, how would he run the war and the peace?

He would impel Germany and Japan to surrender immediately with his mad telehypnotic skillz.

The Republican convention was held 26-28 June - a week after the failure of NEPTUNE in Red's scenario. For Macarthur to pop up and win the nomination a week later, he would have to have magic mutant powers. Or a campaign representative with such powers.

That's leaving aside the problem that the U.S. has never even considered nominating an active duty general in wartime for President.

the better question is: is he even allowed to run?

I seem to remember there were restriction to run when in the military

He would impel Germany and Japan to surrender immediately with his mad telehypnotic skillz.
Ah yes, a Valued Contributor (TM) appears.

The Republican convention was held 26-28 June - a week after the failure of NEPTUNE in Red's scenario. For Macarthur to pop up and win the nomination a week later, he would have to have magic mutant powers. Or a campaign representative with such powers.
Yeah, MacArthur has to be present at a convention, even though 1944 marked the first time a Republican nominee went to the convention to accept the nomination. :rolleyes:

It's not that hard. Bricker endorses MacArthur, add in Phillip La Follette peeling away Dewey's support for MacArthur's benefit, etc.

That's leaving aside the problem that the U.S. has never even considered nominating an active duty general in wartime for President.
Which is why he would resign if nominated.

the better question is: is he even allowed to run?

I seem to remember there were restriction to run when in the military
He ran in 1944 and 1948 IOTL. You may be thinking of the post-WWII time restriction on appointing a general to be Secretary of Defense.