WI: Japan declares war on the USSR

Idk if this has been asked, many times or not. I just skimmed across some threads that spoke about WWII in general, and they got me thinking.

Japan wanted a war, so what if they turned their expansion from the Pacific to Siberia. I know that its mostly a barren wasteland, but Vladivostok would be nice to get out of it. They could also get the Kurils (and that other island who's name escapes my tongue).

So my question is; What if Japan declares war on the USSR instead of the U.S. (by attacking pearl harbor). Would they be successful in beating the Russians back? Would this have any significance on the Russian's western front with the Germans? Would the U.S. effectively be locked out of WWII?

archaeogeek

Banned
Idk if this has been asked, many times or not. I just skimmed across some threads that spoke about WWII in general, and they got me thinking.

Japan wanted a war, so what if they turned their expansion from the Pacific to Siberia. I know that its mostly a barren wasteland, but Vladivostok would be nice to get out of it. They could also get the Kurils (and that other island who's name escapes my tongue).

So my question is; What if Japan declares war on the USSR instead of the U.S. (by attacking pearl harbor). Would they be successful in beating the Russians back? Would this have any significance on the Russian's western front with the Germans? Would the U.S. effectively be locked out of WWII?

I only have one thing to say: Orly. Also post 1900
The island Japan wanted was North Sakhalin.

Also no, the Far Eastern front was no Siberia, was fully supplied throughout the war, and had more armor, fuel and artillery than the entire IJA, fat chance they'd get through.

This might require a PoD before 1900, but it could not happen before 1900, there being no Soviet Union until the 20th century. And if you're talking a Soviet-target Pearl Harbor that's gonna happen in 1941 or there abouts, this is definitely the wrong place.

This might require a PoD before 1900, but it could not happen before 1900, there being no Soviet Union until the 20th century. And if you're talking a Soviet-target Pearl Harbor that's gonna happen in 1941 or there abouts, this is definitely the wrong place.
^I was about to say this, then saw you said it in the preview. :(

I only have one thing to say: Orly. Also post 1900
The island Japan wanted was North Sakhalin.

Also no, the Far Eastern front was no Siberia, was fully supplied throughout the war, and had more armor, fuel and artillery than the entire IJA, fat chance they'd get through.

Whoops. I guess I did post this in the wrong place.

Also, that sucks. I didn't think it was that well fortified being as a major war was beating up the Soviets in the west.

Also, that sucks. I didn't think it was that well fortified being as a major war was beating up the Soviets in the west.

The formations there were sent west, but newly drafted units, inexperiences and untested, replaced them and underwent training. The whole thing was a "revolving door", and always at full strength.

If the Japanese attacked in 1941, it would still contain some of the better forces in the Red Army. The Japanese would struggle to take Vladivostok anyway (it was a military city, as strong as Sevastopol') but it would probably be the Russians who were attacking soon enough.

Japan attacked the Pacific colonies because vital raw materials were running out. If they attacked Russia, they would soon be short of oil and tin and unable to carry on modern war.

What's more, to rustle up the necessary forces (the Pacific attacks involved very limited numbers of divisions to start with) they'd have to reduce their effort in China. With supply failures kicking in, the Chinese might take the offensive.

The Russians wouldn't be without problems: they'd lose the "revolving door", which would mean sending new formations straight to the front, and also the half of Lend Lease that came in Soviet ships from America. But they'd be able to hold on in Asia until Japan collapsed - which would enable them to send the whole Far East Front west, and open up the route again.

In short, such an attack would cause strategic problems for Russia, but even bigger ones for Japan, which is why the Japanese didn't do it.