And lots of them!

1) Lady Mary (b. 10 Nov 1421)
2) Lady Blanche (b. 31 Aug 1423)
3) Lady Catherine (b. 8 Sept 1424)
4) Lady Isabelle (b. 20 Oct 1425, posthumously)

So, the POD for this WI is that Henry V consummates his marriage with Catherine of Valois slightly earlier than OTL, resulting in the birth of a daughter instead of a son, who is named Mary after Henry's mother. Still enamored with his new wife, Henry decides to take Catherine on campaign with him when he returns to France in June 1421 after his brother the Duke of Clarence is killed.

By chance, he avoids catching the dysentery that killed him OTL, and is present in France when his father-in-law King Charles VI dies in October 1422. In accordance with the Treaty of Troyes, Henry is duly crowned King Henry II of France at Reims in a rushed ceremony and spends the winter of 1422 with his wife in France, resulting in the birth of another daughter nine months later (named Blanche after the King's sister and grandmother). Still, the English grip on France is still relatively weak and the royal coffers eventually run dry, so Henry is forced to return to England, where his third daughter is born.

Henry is in the middle of planning yet another French campaign in May 1425 when he suddenly drops dead, leaving his wife four months pregnant. Accusations of poison are leveled, but no one is formally charged, and so Henry's younger brother John duke of Bedford assumes the regency during Catherine's pregnancy as England waits to see whether the child is a boy or a girl. That October, Catherine gives birth to Henry V's posthumous daughter, who she names Isabelle in honour of her mother.

1) Who becomes the next King of England and France? Will it be John duke of Bedford (as King John II) or Lady Mary? The Lancastrians appear to have preferred male-only succession, but I can't remember if the entailment devised by Henry IV (which settled the crown on the descendants of his sons) was male-only or not. Is the succession smooth or contested?

2) If John duke of Bedford prevails, how does John II deal with the situation in France? With no petit roi godon, does England stand a better chance of retaining some of the continental possessions? Despite being happily married to Anne of Burgundy, John is childless; does he seek an annulment so he can begin siring heirs? How does his childlessness affect the marriages he arranges for his four nieces?

3) If Mary prevails, does John duke of Bedford handle the regency the same way he handled Henry VI's OTL one? Or do the optics of a female ruler (even in name only) affect how he handles things? Who is Queen Mary betrothed to? Her sisters?

Any mistakes are mine, and please don't hesitate to point them out!

Seeing how badly Matilda got treated historically, Mary has not the slightest possibility of succeeding to the throne, given that she has a living uncle, other living agnates of her family, and nothing from her father to affirm her rights, contrarily to the former. Expect all four to be married off in matches specifically intended to shore up the succession, at least in terms of avoiding dangerous novel claimants.

Last edited:
Seeing how badly Matilda got treated historically, Mary does not have the slightest possibility of succeeding to the throne, given that she has both a living uncle, other living agnates of her family, and nothing from her father to affirm her rights, contrarily to the former. Expect all four to be married off in matches specifically intended to shore up the succession, at least in terms of avoiding dangerous novel claimants.
To be clear, I don't expect Mary to get anything (I was originally just going to ask how John II goes about his business), but I figured that someone else might have a different opinion, so I figured I'd leave it open.

I can't remember if Salic Law has already been established in France. If it has, then John definitely gets France. But Mary might get England, given the 1406 succession. If she does, then that might help everyone, really. John could cede his English estates and focus on the matters on France, while Mary can be raised as Queen of England, with her younger sisters married off in such ways as will help secure her position as Queen.

And then everything rests on whether John can manage a son to be his Dauphin or not. Will he have to marry differently than OTL do we think?

Parliament settled the succession on Henry of Monmouth's children -- explicitly stating sons and daughters -- way back in 1406.
That, I certainly did not know, though I have to ask, as I know not: How well will a four-year old girl's claim hold up in such a circumstance? Bedford would likely respect Henry's earlier wishes, but it does not bode very well for an underage lass to succeed when there are still foes on the continent.

I can't remember if Salic Law has already been established in France. If it has, then John definitely gets France. But Mary might get England, given the 1406 succession. If she does, then that might help everyone, really. John could cede his English estates and focus on the matters on France, while Mary can be raised as Queen of England, with her younger sisters married off in such ways as will help secure her position as Queen.

And then everything rests on whether John can manage a son to be his Dauphin or not. Will he have to marry differently than OTL do we think?
Yes, France has excluded females by this point; that's what the whole conflict is about! Whoever ends up succeeding in England will also retain the English claim to France, which will be contested by Dauphin Charles (OTL Charles VII), who is the actual Salic claimant here. I don't expect Henry to have all his ducks in a row regarding France here, so any claim on the English end will be quasi-titular (they have some of France, but not all of it).

That, I certainly did not know, though I have to ask, as I know not: How well will a four-year old girl's claim hold up in such a circumstance? Bedford would likely respect Henry's earlier wishes, but it does not bode very well for an underage woman to succeed when there are still foes on the continent.
Yes, that is real question! :coldsweat:

The girl's claim could just be ignored and set aside by the lords of England, as Matilda's was, but I very much doubt Bedford would attempt to usurp the crown given what we know about his character and his close relationship with his brother. Looking across the Channel, though ... that's another matter. I think the Treaty of Troyes is silent as to where the crown should go if Henry and Catherine fail to have sons (someone correct me if I'm wrong), and so the girl could conceivably claim to be queen regnant of France too. The question becomes "What would Burgundy do?" Because Burgundy may be willing to submit to John of Bedford to secure his revenge on the dauphin, but he may not submit to a four-year-old girl. You can almost imagine Burgundy wanting to marry to his son to said girl to bring the realms together -- except he has no son at this time, and the English would recoil at the idea of taking a French king.

It's a right mess.

I think the Treaty of Troyes is silent as to where the crown should go if Henry and Catherine fail to have sons (someone correct me if I'm wrong), and so the girl could conceivably claim to be queen regnant of France too.
According to French Wikipedia, the language of the treaty is as follows: " la couronne et le royaume de France, avec tous leurs droits et appartenances demeureront et seront perpétuellement à notre dit fils le roi Henri et ses hoirs." So, the point of contention would be whether the phrase "le roi Henri et ses hoirs" refers only to masculine heirs or not. Frankly, I don't think anything would prevent Mary's partisans from claiming the French crown in her name, regardless of the language of the treaty (and I agree that Mary would probably be Queen, unless history has severely misjudged John duke of Bedford, or he is given some incentive to pursue the crown).
It's a right mess.
That's partially why I picked it:coldsweat:

You can almost imagine Burgundy wanting to marry to his son to said girl to bring the realms together -- except he has no son at this time, and the English would recoil at the idea of taking a French king.
My apologies about the double-reply, but might Philip suggest his one of his nephews, John of Cleves? Philip the Good often used his nieces as proxies, so how about his nephews? John is the right age, he's unmarried, and he has the benefit of not being too French. No idea if Bedford (or the other English lords) would go for it, but it doesn't sound like a crazy idea (at least to me).

According to French Wikipedia, the language of the treaty is as follows: " la couronne et le royaume de France, avec tous leurs droits et appartenances demeureront et seront perpétuellement à notre dit fils le roi Henri et ses hoirs." So, the point of contention would be whether the phrase "le roi Henri et ses hoirs" refers only to masculine heirs or not. Frankly, I don't think anything would prevent Mary's partisans from claiming the French crown in her name, regardless of the language of the treaty (and I agree that Mary would probably be Queen, unless history has severely misjudged John duke of Bedford, or he is given some incentive to pursue the crown).

That's partially why I picked it:coldsweat:
This... "ses hoirs" can also apply to Matilda because the language in this case includes all genders. Mary will claim crown of England, while marrying the closest male candidate to the French one.

Any chance that Henry V living longer affects the marriages of his younger brothers, such that one of them has a living (legitimate) son that can be paired with Lady Mary?

Mary will claim crown of England, while marrying the closest male candidate to the French one.
Well, the closest claimant is Dauphin Charles, who is already married to Mary of Anjou (and had been betrothed to her since 1413, so I have no reason why he would marry differently ITTL). His son, Louis (OTL Louis XI) would be the only available one here (as he was born 1423). Even then, I sincerely doubt he would be on the table as a realistic option --there is no way the subjects of England would desire the French King's son as their king jure-uxoris, and I doubt Charles would want to marry his son to the daughter of the man who stole his throne.

Remember, Mary isn't the one who will be deciding her own marriage in this scenario. Ironically, if he were a little older, I could see Louis XI actually being in-favour of the match himself, given his pragmatic OTL personality, but I don't think it's ever getting off the ground, honestly. The English just won't have it.
Any chance that Henry V living longer affects the marriages of his younger brothers, such that one of them has a living (legitimate) son that can be paired with Lady Mary?
With Clarence dead and Bedford already married to the (OTL childless) Anne of Burgundy, only Gloucester's marriage is likely to be affected. He might be able to scrounge up a match in time to produce a son a few years younger than Mary, but there's a non-zero chance she'll already be betrothed to someone by then (unless candidates are so thin on the ground), so the chances Mary marries him seem pretty low to me. Though perhaps her original betrothed could die young and Gloucester's son is brought in as a replacement.

I mean, technically Bedford's marriage is within POD range, but given the Anglo-Burgundian alliance, the fact no one (OTL or ITTL) thinks Henry V is likely to die without a son, and the fact the spouses seem pretty suited to one-another, I see no compelling reason why Bedford is likely to marry differently ITTL.

mean, technically Bedford's marriage is within POD range, but given the Anglo-Burgundian alliance, the fact no one (OTL or ITTL) thinks Henry V is likely to die without a son, and the fact the spouses seem pretty suited to one-another, I see no compelling reason why Bedford is likely to marry differently ITTL.
Well, yeah, but that doesn't mean butterflies couldn't give Bedford a son with Anne of Burgundy. Or keep her alive so Phillip is less likely to break his English alliance. Philip has sons by the 1430s. One of them could marry Mary/one of her younger sisters.

Bedford will be King of France (as Edward’s claim on the French throne was based on the exclusion of females BUT NOT female lines as Edward III of England) was the closest MALE relative of Charles IV of France, while Mary will inherit the English crown (who was settled on the heirs both male and female of Monmouth’s sons)

Bedford will be King of France (as Edward’s claim on the French throne was based on the exclusion of females BUT NOT female lines as Edward III of England) was the closest MALE relative of Charles IV of France, while Mary will inherit the English crown (who was settled on the heirs both male and female of Monmouth’s sons)
Ay, we agree!
Who could Mary potentially wed? Perhaps an archduke of Austria, Albert VI? He's born of high status BUT not expected to inherit...

Ay, we agree!
Who could Mary potentially wed? Perhaps an archduke of Austria, Albert VI? He's born of high status BUT not expected to inherit...
She will marry a man of the English Royal House NOT a foreigner. Much would depend from what her uncles will decide to do… Richard of York, if he do not end under the wardship of Westmoreland (pretty likely as the Earl received it only after Henry V’s death), will be a quite logical candidate.

Well, yeah, but that doesn't mean butterflies couldn't give Bedford a son with Anne of Burgundy. Or keep her alive so Phillip is less likely to break his English alliance. Philip has sons by the 1430s. One of them could marry Mary/one of her younger sisters.
Though I am loathe to speculate on the fertility of historical figures -- we'll never really know and it's just generally kind of creepy -- there is evidence that Anne had reproductive problems. She and John spent a good deal of time together, but all that comes of the marriage is one stillborn child. We know the problem is not on John's end since he produces at least two (and possibly three) bastards with women in France.

She will marry a man of the English Royal House NOT a foreigner. Much would depend from what her uncles will decide to do… Richard of York, if he do not end under the wardship of Westmoreland (pretty likely as the Earl received it only after Henry V’s death), will be a quite logical candidate.
Not a lot of men of appropriate age or status for Mary...Richard of York could work, we know he is fertile IOTL.