WI: Charles II dies before the Restoration

From the beginning of the English Civil War (where he participated in the Battle of Edgehill) until his escape to the continent in 1651 Charles II had ample opportunity to die. Say he dies during his escape to France after his invasion of England failed in the Battle of Worcester. What are the effects on the Commonwealths politics? Is there any credible candidate to take the throne after Cromwell dies? Who was next in line for the throne anyway?

Not sure he was technically an idiot.

I'm fairly sure you don't mean idiot in the sense of actually brain damaged, but given that some royals were, I feel the distinction should be made in poor James's case.

Henry might of been an interesting candidate, but I've no real idea of where he stand on the absolutism-constitutional monarchy scale. Perhaps a minor outbreak of smallpox sweeps through killing Charles and James but Henry survives?

Henry might of been an interesting candidate, but I've no real idea of where he stand on the absolutism-constitutional monarchy scale. Perhaps a minor outbreak of smallpox sweeps through killing Charles and James but Henry survives?
The short bit on the genocide has him as more useful than James, certainly. Even if the glasses seem a bit rose tinted.

To be fair to James, he was an excellent Lord High Admiral--indeed, when he was suffering from the effects of his own naval reforms as a client of Louis XIV, he still couldn't help admiring what a good navy England now had. His problem was--much like his father--he was an inflexible man, and didn't see how that was a problem. Which, considering that he had HIS OWN FATHER as an example of why it was, is a pretty gaping flaw.

To be fair to James, he was an excellent Lord High Admiral--indeed, when he was suffering from the effects of his own naval reforms as a client of Louis XIV, he still couldn't help admiring what a good navy England now had. His problem was--much like his father--he was an inflexible man, and didn't see how that was a problem. Which, considering that he had HIS OWN FATHER as an example of why it was, is a pretty gaping flaw.

That sounds like the sort of guy who was better cut out to be a royal lieutenant - who could be relied on to do well and not be problematic (to the sovereign) and less so the sort of guy who should be in a position where his personal quirks make people suspect he's up to something of the sort that justifies getting rid of kings.

That sounds like the sort of guy who was better cut out to be a royal lieutenant - who could be relied on to do well and not be problematic (to the sovereign) and less so the sort of guy who should be in a position where his personal quirks make people suspect he's up to something of the sort that justifies getting rid of kings.

Pretty much, though his Catholicism did cause a few problems for Charles' over the years. Then again, considering the sheer amount of crap Charles II went through, James' little foibles probably seemed forgivable.

The Restoration largely took place because Charles issued the Declaration of Breda, in which he promised that any crimes committed during the Civil War and the Commonwealth would be pardoned. He also promised religious toleration. Charles was pragmatic, intelligent and above all sensible. His brother on the other hand was seemingly determined to repeat all the mistakes that their father had made. I can't really see James issuing anything like the Declaration of Breda. I can however see him issuing something vague and then being outraged when people didn't trust him. As I said - the man was an idiot.

Even after the disasters of the Commonwealth I really can't imagine England would accept a Catholic restoration, memories of the Marian atrocities coupled with continued, if diminished, Republican sympathies would see some other option found. The only way James could become King was to follow his brother.

James wasn't Catholic in 1660, He only converted in either 1668 or 69 so he would still be protestant, hell he might not even convert. I wonder who he would marry? I doubt his otl wife Anne Hyde, maybe he could mary Le Grand Mademoiselle? Or perhaps an Austrian Archduchess? Remember, at the time of the Restoration there was no law against a King marrying a Catholic.

James wasn't Catholic in 1660, He only converted in either 1668 or 69 so he would still be protestant, hell he might not even convert. I wonder who he would marry? I doubt his otl wife Anne Hyde, maybe he could mary Le Grand Mademoiselle? Or perhaps an Austrian Archduchess? Remember, at the time of the Restoration there was no law against a King marrying a Catholic.

But it probably wouldn't be taken very well.

And would the Habsburgs accepting marrying one of their daughters to a Protestant king of England?

But it probably wouldn't be taken very well.

And would the Habsburgs accepting marrying one of their daughters to a Protestant king of England?

Same reason why the Bourbons and the Braganzas would I guess. But thinking about it there would be little chance that the Habsburgs would marry an Archduchess/Infanta to a protestant.

Same reason why the Bourbons and the Braganzas would I guess. But thinking about it there would be little chance that the Habsburgs would marry an Archduchess/Infanta to a protestant.

I think you give the Habsburgs too few credit (by this point), sure marrying a archduchess to a Protestant isn't the most obvious choice, but any obligation (like the Bourbons and Braganzas would have had too) will be compensated by the fact, that the archduchess will be queen of England & Scotland.

Last edited:
I think you give the Habsburgs too few credit (by this point), sure marrying a archduchess to a Protestant isn't the most obvious choice, but any obligation (like the Bourbons and Braganzas would have had too) will be compensated by the fact, that the archduchess will be queen of England & Scotland.

Not sure that's worth marrying her to a Protestant for, though.

I mean, what advantage is that to the Habsburgs? England&Scotland is (referred to as a singular as they were in personal union, and thus acting internationally as one country, not two) not a significant player.

Not sure that's worth marrying her to a Protestant for, though.

I mean, what advantage is that to the Habsburgs? England&Scotland is (referred to as a singular as they were in personal union, and thus acting internationally as one country, not two) not a significant player.

The British Isles might not be the great power it would become yet but they could still tip the balance of a war fairly well. Just two years before the Restoration England made large gains against Spain, acquiring Jamaica, the Cayman Islands, Dunkirk and Mardyck (in Northern France)and in 1654 trounced the Netherlands in naval battles. The war between England and Spain didn't officially end until 1660 so I can see a Habsburg bride being offered to sea the peace. Actually I'm surprised that one wasn't in OTL.