WI: American culture without suburbs/car culture

How does that compare to other North American cities?
73.5% of Chicago households own at least one car, 75% of detroit households own at least one car, 45% of NYC households own at least one car, 64% of Boston household own at least one car, 85% of Atlanta households have at least one car, 88% of LA house holds have at least one car, 83% of Seattle households own at least one car, 43% of Mexico City households have at least one car.

Toronto is pretty normal by North American standards...

Suburbs don't have to be nothing but single family dwellings in the North American model. Proper planning would also include shopping areas, schools, health care, places of worship, recreation facilities and light industrial areas. Yes you may still need a car for commuting but not to get a pint of milk or to get the kids to school.
Single family homes aren't necessarily the main culprit here. IMHO, the cul-de-sac pattern of suburban streets is more responsible. If suburbs were built on a grid, with mostly single family homes, but perhaps with less density than residential city neighbourhoods, cars would be less necessary than OTL. Yes, the commerical and institutional uses you mentioned are important, but those exist in OTL suburbs too. The main problem is that the street network isn't conducive to efficient walking or transit.

Is not the USA THEM, DUDE USA is a continent, yet some regions are sparsely populated, once the car become independent enough, that's something everyone from the farmer to the businessmen wanted.

Another thing would be genuinely fairly economics, cars companies doesn't dismantle the electrical trainway and cities are planned with those alongside metro too. That's on big cities, in smaller one, Bus and Car will win, plain and simple
Car companies didn't dismantle the electric railways. Transit companies converted to buses primarily because streetcars tangled with car traffic, and because of the costs associated with track maintenence. Buses may not have the same "romance" as streetcars, but they are still transit. People abandoned transit for cars primarily because of the individual efficiency of car travel, not because "the bus won" over streetcars.

I think you are confusing cause and effect. American culture already had an independent streak prior to the invention of cars.
That is certainly true.
But culture changed deeply in so many domains throughout the 20th century (as it already had in the 19th), so I don't really think that kind of individualism is carved in stone under all circumstances. Besides, there are many ways to express your indivdualism, and people living in Manhattan and not owning a car are probably not feeling less individualistic than a family in the suburbs, are they?
Relying on public transportation undermines the feeling of independence that Americans want.
That is the link which the OP rightly questions, I think.
Also America is rich even when compared to Western Europe. If America's median income was cut in half, it would be just a little lower than Britain, Spain, or Italy. Part of America's car dependence is the fact that even relatively poor Americans can afford a car.
That can always only be half the explanation. Switzerland, who is even richer than the US, has excellent public transportation, in spite of its harsh mountainous geography. It's political decisions that set the stage for this or that development.

I tend to think policing would be considerably harsher. People won’t just accept high levels of crime if they can’t escape to the suburbs. Regardless of its related flaws throwing criminals or ‘criminals’ in jail and leaving them there is one way to reduce crime.
This is an interesting statement to me as someone who lives in Western Europe and has lived in various countries of Western Europe throughout my life, all of which seem both less suburbanised / car-centered AND at the same time less "harshly policed" than the US. Whatever you can say about German, British, Dutch, Swiss, Romanian etc. police, they're not exactly omnipresent in society, and their presence is felt as much more civil. I don't think there are many Europeans who fear for their lives when they get into a police control, for example. Americans jail a much higher percentage of their population, and at the same time seem more afraid of both "criminals" and the police. There must be underlying reasons for that, and just asking that question probably derails the thread. The question is how this would turn out in a world in which the paths diverge from ours at the beginning of the 20th century.

We have had thai discussions multiple times but here we go again.

1) Europe has had its own suburban sprawl. But for some reason we in the US pretend otherwise. The only thing that stopped it in London was the green belt laws. What stops it from being an issue in much of Europe is that they have so little land compared yo the US that all land is expensive. And they cant afford to convert farmland like we in the US have. (Historically most suburbs in the US are built on former farm land) It is not great mass transit that stops suburban spread. It is that it is often economically unsustainable, or they pass laws against it.
2) Passing laws to prevent spread is not going to work. You may get a state or city to pass something like green belt laws but you won’t get it to be common much less everywhere.
3). We like to pretend that Mass transit in Europe is universal but it is not, it is in Major cities to one degree or another but not even all major cities have as extensivecof a system as some seam to think. Rome for instance has a joke of a subway system and the bus lines are not that great. It is better then most US cities but.. let’s not pretend that every city is like London.
4). We also seam to think that people in Europe don’t use cars. Try driving on an expressway in France, Germany or Great Britain. Their highways are just as busy as most of the US highways are. So they are driving somewhere. And if you look cites have to place laws restriction driving in them Italy’s infamous restrictive zones that so many tourists run afoul of of Londons famous congestion charge. If the mass transit was so great folks would just give up driving (what we seam to be trying yo accomplish with these topics) But with great mass transit expensive and limited land (compared to the US) and Greenbelt laws you still have so much car traffic in London that you can’t get any more cars on the streets durring working hours. So SOMEONE in London prefers cars enough to put up with the traffic and the expense.
5). Mass transit is not all that. It is hideously expensive, almost always loses money (more about that later) and you have yo walk often many blocks to get to it on both ends of you trip. You also have to wait for it and it only goes so many places, in many places in London it is faster to walk then take the tube or a bus because you will have to gro from walk from A to B take mass transit from B to C change then take transit C to D then walk from D to your destination E. Or Walk from A to E skipping the middle steps.
This is not all it‘s cracked up to be.
6). Many US cities get hotter, more humid and or colder than many of the Cities in Europe that are renowned for Mass transit. comparing say London to Detroit. Detroit is consistently hotter and more humid in the Summer and Colder and snowier in the Winter. Making it much much less pleasant to make those walks to the Subway or bus stop.
7). Cars are simply more convenient. It is more convenient to get in a car when I want and go directly to where I want yo go. I have a buddy that lives in the DC area. He is within a typical London walking distance of a Subway/light rail line. At both home and his Job. He has a rented parking spot at his station near his place because the weather. And he still drives into the office about 40-50 percent of the time. Because he dies not want yo walk or the weather sucks or he wants to go places on the way that mass transit is not great to get to etc, peaople are generally lazy we LIKE the convenience of getting in a car in our driveway and getting out at our destination.
8). What do we have to do to get rid of the false narrative that the “evil car companies “ destroyed mass transit in the US? Mass transit in the US was mostly for profit. And it is hard to make a profit on it (see London). Mass transit (street railways) in the US we’re having issues as soon as the car was invented (and more then a few before cars were common). Places like Cedar Point were created by Street car companies in an effort to get passengers on the weekend. This was not done because these companies were rolling in profits. In order for Mass transit to work you have to cover a lot of routes to be close to all destination, and you have to run a lot of trips in order to be available all the time with relatively short wait times. This means you will have lines/times that have very few passengers. But your cost is the same as if you were in rush hour. This is expensive and often barely profitable or not profitable at all. So many (most?) streetcar lines were barely hanging on and some were going out before cars were really common. Did some car companies buy them up or take parts as trade ins and such? Sure. But mostly that was in order to win the bus sales. But lets think this through. If you are an owner of a Street Car system, and GM approaches you to buy you out and replace your cars with Buses or just shut you down so they can sell cars. How much are you going yo ask for. It is not like GM can force you to sell. Now if you are profitable you will want many years of that profit as a sales price, because you are forever giving up future profits. But if you are hardly hanging on or about yo go under you will ask a lot less. Now consider it from GMs point of view. It has to be cheep enough that A) they can afford it, and B) that the profits from a few years of car sales (to ex riders) will pay for it. When you do the math if these transit systems were making a profit then GM could not afford to buy them out.
Alternativly replacing the Streetcars with Busses is even harder. The streetcar line must think that Buses will be cheeper then continuing with a the Streetcars, and GM can only offer less in trade in then they will make in profit for one round of busses. In this case most times (probably all) it was the streetcar line either going bankrupt or deciding the streetcars were too expensive and buses a better idea. And GM just worked a deal to win the sale.
Note that if you look into it most streetcar systems started to go way starting about 1900 and only big city systems survive past the 20s.

While we have discussed what the technical aspect of no/less car culture would be, what about the cultural aspect? How would American culture be different if people didn’t have to use a car to go everywhere?

It’s no secret that America runs on cars. If you’re going to go anywhere, you need a car. Need to get food? Drive. Need to go to work? Drive. Going to see friends or going to a bar? Drive.

But what if America didn’t have this? What if instead, everybody lived in high-density areas where everything from work to shops to bars are in walking distance?

“But America is not as dense as European nations therefore we need cars!”

I mostly mean urban and suburban areas. I’m sure that rural European towns need cars as well to get from villages to cities. I mean that cars are not the only way to get around in urban/suburban areas. Other means being subways, light rail, commuter rail, high speed rail other than just being cars and highways. Not just in the Northeast but across the country and especially in places like California.

What would American culture look like if this was always the case?
fudevb1kyj451.jpg

On a more serious note, I imagine it'd look a lot like New England, since they were never as car dependent as the rest of the US for some reason

Last edited:
View attachment 825020

On a more serious note, I imagine it'd look a lot like New England, since they were never as car dependent as the rest of the US for some reason
Lol is that the PS5 in the background

But in all seriousness, I personally think that while the rural areas would still need a car to get around, the highway system is less extensive and don’t reach within the city limits.

Lol is that the PS5 in the background

But in all seriousness, I personally think that while the rural areas would still need a car to get around, the highway system is less extensive and don’t reach within the city limits.
It is a PS5 in the background lol

Also yes, they absolutely would still need a car in rural areas

That can always only be half the explanation. Switzerland, who is even richer than the US, has excellent public transportation, in spite of its harsh mountainous geography. It's political decisions that set the stage for this or that development.

GDP per capita =/= median income. America's median income is 46,625. Switzerland's is 37,946. Switzerland has a high GDP per capita because banks are headquartered there, not because the average person is richer than an American.

Also, in spite of its mountainous geography Switzerland has a population density of 219 people per km^2. That's compared to the United States, with a population density 36 people per km^2. Switzerland is six times more densely populated than the United States even though it is mountainous.

Puzzle

Donor
This is an interesting statement to me as someone who lives in Western Europe and has lived in various countries of Western Europe throughout my life, all of which seem both less suburbanised / car-centered AND at the same time less "harshly policed" than the US. Whatever you can say about German, British, Dutch, Swiss, Romanian etc. police, they're not exactly omnipresent in society, and their presence is felt as much more civil.
There’s a lot of differences between the US and Europe, and I found this article interesting discussing the impact. The author’s main point was that Europe spends more on a higher quality of police for crime deterrence, but the US’s more individualist approach has led to putting the comparatively fewer caught criminals in prison for longer because they can’t be caught on the front end.
However since the POD is far enough back perhaps a more European police force would emerge with a similarly unAmerican view on search and seizure.

If suburbs were built on a grid, with mostly single family homes, but perhaps with less density than residential city neighbourhoods, cars would be less necessary than OTL.
I think you have that backwards.

Dead straight streets are car-friendly; what you want are very crooked, narrow streets that discourage driving. (I'd say ban on-street parking, too.)

Less density discourages walking, in part by discouraging business: if there are more people in a given area, you can keep your grocery (or whatever) running based on business in the neighborhood.

Short blocks are good, too; they encourage walking. (I don't recall why.) They also (IIRC) reduce accidents. (Again, I don't recall why.)

Public transit into/through a neighborhood is a must.

A lot of quite small single-family homes (very like the postwar boxes built in large numbers up here; maybe two stories with finished basement, instead of one/not: 1000sq ft, on a footprint half the size the "ranch" design?) on small lots (so low property taxes), surrounding/backing up on a park, with a grocery, movie theatre, & one or two restaurants (& maybe a delivery pizza joint), nearby, looks like an ideal neighborhood, to me.

Single family homes aren't necessarily the main culprit here. IMHO, the cul-de-sac pattern of suburban streets is more responsible. If suburbs were built on a grid, with mostly single family homes, but perhaps with less density than residential city neighbourhoods, cars would be less necessary than OTL. Yes, the commerical and institutional uses you mentioned are important, but those exist in OTL suburbs too. The main problem is that the street network isn't conducive to efficient walking or transit.
Yes, it’s the way suburban streets are built. We kind of said screw you to the grid with suburbs. Sure we kept it for main streets but in the burbs there are too many culdesacs

Riain

Banned
Car companies didn't dismantle the electric railways. Transit companies converted to buses primarily because streetcars tangled with car traffic, and because of the costs associated with track maintenence. Buses may not have the same "romance" as streetcars, but they are still transit. People abandoned transit for cars primarily because of the individual efficiency of car travel, not because "the bus won" over streetcars.

The reasons trolleys became noncompetitive and therefore vulnerable are varied. A couple are that in LA at least the trolley companies were not allowed to raise fares for decades, they were charging a nickel for something like 30 years. However the biggest one was an anti-trust law that decoupled electricity generation and trolley operation so the trolleys were out on their own with no synergies. The right of way issue could be easily solved by municipalities painting some lines and drafting some road rules.

That said, the US (North Americ in general as well as Australia and the rest of the developed world) is still going to have a LOT of cars, the best that can be done is to lower the ratio. @SealTheRealDeal has a post art the top of this page on North American cities, LA, Seatle and Atlanta are not where you want to be, Boston and NYC are more the goal.

Riain

Banned
While we have discussed what the technical aspect of no/less car culture would be, what about the cultural aspect? How would American culture be different if people didn’t have to use a car to go everywhere?

I don't think it would be much different because the only parts of the driving experience you can remove are the non discretionary ones, like boring commutes. Tens of millions of people will still own cars and still use then a lot for cool stuff like weekend leisure etc.

One factor to also consider was American architectural thought both early century and mid-century. The US intelligentsia at the time wholeheartedly believed that the personal car was the future, and they planned out US cities with that belief during a time of rapid urban growth. The most egregious example of this was Robert Moses, but plenty of other American urban planners also bought into a vision of automobile supremacy as well. Unfortunately, this idea gained traction at the exact same time as the US government began investing significantly in infrastructure, first with the New Deal, then with the Interstate project and a wave of tax money that came with the postwar economic boom.

Honestly, if Robert Moses never gained influence (perhaps running afoul of the New York machines) and Le Corbusier gets more involved with the Nazis and subsequently discredited (perhaps as part of the French legal trials for Vichy collaborators), I do think that American cities would be notably less car-dependent without major urban planners pushing for highways cutting across cities. This doesn't fix the issue of surburbia however, and single family housing plus white flight does still result in major car dependence in the suburbs and massive sprawl.

Money. Tons of great points in this thread but truly money is a problem.

The TTC in Toronto has in its entire existence been the cheapest run major transit network on the continent, with fare box covering roughly 70% of operating costs historically

Aside from them? Every major transit network in a city in North America expects 40-55% fare box covering operating costs.

So straight up transit is both an ongoing expense and a future needs lot of money for capital expense. Vs a toll road that will pay off everything in a couple decades. Which means you need to think federal level support for transit as soon as possible.

Riain

Banned
Money. Tons of great points in this thread but truly money is a problem.

The TTC in Toronto has in its entire existence been the cheapest run major transit network on the continent, with fare box covering roughly 70% of operating costs historically

Aside from them? Every major transit network in a city in North America expects 40-55% fare box covering operating costs.

So straight up transit is both an ongoing expense and a future needs lot of money for capital expense. Vs a toll road that will pay off everything in a couple decades. Which means you need to think federal level support for transit as soon as possible.

How many toll roads are there in say LA compared to the old Trolley network?

Compare apples with apples. The trolley network was extensive and its maintenance meant roads for an equivalent amount of passengers over the same routes didn't have to be maintained.

How many toll roads are there in say LA compared to the old Trolley network?

Compare apples with apples. The trolley network was extensive and its maintenance meant roads for an equivalent amount of passengers over the same routes didn't have to be maintained.
Well, there seems to be a few misconceptions in the US about the benefit of toll roads/road widening/new roads vs rail-based transit.
One is that "Hey, once a road is built, it's just... there, right? Doesn't need any additional expenditures for maintenance, etc..." Ummm... nope, not really the case :p
Another is the neglect of the "downstream benefits" of rail construction. I've seen it here in Charlotte NC - where there's both light rail expansion and new toll lanes on certain highways.
Where the light rail has gone, redevelopment has followed. What was once run-down "warehouse districts" and half-empty business properties are now condos, restaurants, shoppes, etc - which means more tax revenue for local government.
You don't get that so much with toll roads/toll lanes, where the intent is mainly to get people in and out of town rapidly and which are typically on limited-access highways, which don't exactly lend themselves very well to commercial development along the entire route, only at interchanges, with the typical clusters of gas stations and strip malls...