What would happen to the Indo-Aryan tribes in a surviving Harappa/Indus civilization?

Recently, I've read Flocc's surviving Indus Civilization scenario, which was written almost a decade ago (the thread lasted for three years from 2006 to 2009, by the way), based on his comment on an earlier thread.

From the maps that he posted in his mini-scenario, the Indo-Aryan tribes were concentrated in the Hindu Kush mountains, roughly the same territory as OTL Afghanistan, bordering a surviving Indus/Harappan civilization called "Meluha". As the scenario progressed, Flocc posted a series of maps showing that Meluhised areas were slowly inflitrating the Indo-Aryan areas; at the same time, the Indo-Aryans were slowly spreading to some regions south of the Hindu Kush.

Assuming that the people of Indus Valley civilization/Harappa were Dravidians and their way of life survived by like for example, moving the center of their civilization to the Ganges River area while maintaining a presence in the Indus River, what would possibly happen to the Indo-Aryan tribes? Would they experience the same fate like in Flocc's scenario? What could be its impact on history and culture of South Asia in general?

Last edited:
Well, it seems that IOTL, demographic changes in Gangetic basin were caused by the decline of IC (it may be particularily the case if the decline of the latter was caused by climatic changes, droughts and over-populations).

So it may be already the case historically, altough not the part about "moving the center of the civilisation" but it may be because we know too little to have a real glimpse at how these populations were politically organised.

We know that proto-Indo-Aryans populations managed to settle and dominate over urban/semi-urban/palatial cultures as Mitanni, for exemple. (Or, possibly Elamite which may be more or less related to pre-IE Indian languages, without real certainty if it's Dravidian or another one).

That said, what about an earlier decline of IC, less due to ecological problem than political or geopolitical? Meaning the move towards Gangetic basin happens earlier ITTL and while Indo-Aryan may benefit the situation, the slower changes may provoke several butterflies.

India probably knew other migrations and/or acculturations (Dravdian may be not native to India), and I don't think that IA being a dominating elite over a non-IE population and the latter eventually partially acculturating the former would be impossible (again, a Mitanni-like scenario).

Now, I may have misunderstood your point or misunderstood this part of Indian history : feel free to correct me.

I didn't follow flocc's reasoning why the lack of an Aryan India prevents the rise of a power in Persia or the Middle East.

That said, what about an earlier decline of IC, less due to ecological problem than political or geopolitical? Meaning the move towards Gangetic basin happens earlier ITTL and while Indo-Aryan may benefit the situation, the slower changes may provoke several butterflies.
That could be a possible PoD, honestly. Maybe we should ask Flocc himself.

Last edited:
We know much more about the Indus Valley civilization now than we did a decade ago.

It has to be said, there is NO evidence for an Indo-Aryan invasion besides the Vedas, and they can be interpreted in alternate ways than the genocidal invasion that still commands our imaginations. Nor is there evidence that the IVC was a Dravidian-speaking culture. It is more likely that they spoke some form of Aryan language.

Indeed, evidence for the IVC being Dravidian has weakened lately, since it has been found that the main Dravidian populations in the Indus region are recent arrivals.

Also, the Indo-Gangetic civilization that arose after the IVC fell has now been directly linked to the IVC in terms of material culture - the civilization of the Ganges was certainly a descendant of the IVC, even if there was a change of language.

Also, just as the IVC extended into the Ganges basin, it also extended into Central Asia, with outposts being discovered as far away as the banks of the Amu Drya (yes, that is a HUGE area to find a single bronze age culture spread over). So even before the IVC fell, they were influencing the mountain tribes.

As such, I don't see the IVC changing things for the Indo-Aryan tribes much. Or at least not that we would notice 3000 years later. The survival of the IVC means that trade is less disrupted, but Afghanistan and Iran are still filled with Iranic peoples, these Iranic peoples still travel to India to sell horses and serve as mercenaries and North India still speaks some sort of Arayan languages, though perhaps not languages descended from Sanskrit and still Northern India and Central Asia influence each-other deeply.

fasquardon

Indeed, evidence for the IVC being Dravidian has weakened lately, since it has been found that the main Dravidian populations in the Indus region are recent arrivals.

fasquardon
It reminds me of Michael Witzel's theory on Harappan language; the only difference is that Witzel hypothesized Harappan as para-Munda or Austroasiatic.

It reminds me of Michael Witzel's theory on Harappan language; the only difference is that Witzel hypothesized Harappan as para-Munda or Austroasiatic.

Yes, it is a possibility. I'm dubious about that theory. For one thing, other languages that ended up getting replaced by Indo-European languages in the same time period have left traces of their existence as a substrate. None of the Sanskrit-descended languages of India show evidence of a substrate, so far as I am aware.

That would imply either the Indo-Aryans were exceptionally thorough about murdering anyone who spoke the native language of the Indus-Ganges region or that they were exceptionally good at convincing the people they conquered and made their peasants forget their language and take on the language of their conquerors. Neither is likely.

Also, computer models of the spread of Indo-European generally predict that the IE languages arrived in India right around the time the Indus Valley civilization began its rise, and spread through India at the rate that the Indus Valley civilization spread through India.

To me, the current evidence seems to thus be tilted in favor of the IVC itself being made up of IE speakers.

My personal theory is that the evidence from the Vedas is also largely correct and chariot-riding, proto sanskrit-speaking pastorialists did come down from the mountains and take over the upper levels of an urban civilization shortly after that civilization (the IVC) had suffered a series of disasters. I further suspect that urban civilization was more closely related in culture to the pastorialists than was previously theorized.

fasquardon

Yes, it is a possibility. I'm dubious about that theory. For one thing, other languages that ended up getting replaced by Indo-European languages in the same time period have left traces of their existence as a substrate. None of the Sanskrit-descended languages of India show evidence of a substrate, so far as I am aware.

Unless you count the several hundred words found in the oldest portions of the Rig Veda that appear to be of Munda origin (see "Early Sources for South Asian Substrate Languages" by Michael Witzel). Although these might simply be due to borrowing from a geographically adjacent region, instead of a literal substratum.

That would imply either the Indo-Aryans were exceptionally thorough about murdering anyone who spoke the native language of the Indus-Ganges region or that they were exceptionally good at convincing the people they conquered and made their peasants forget their language and take on the language of their conquerors. Neither is likely.

Also, computer models of the spread of Indo-European generally predict that the IE languages arrived in India right around the time the Indus Valley civilization began its rise, and spread through India at the rate that the Indus Valley civilization spread through India.

To me, the current evidence seems to thus be tilted in favor of the IVC itself being made up of IE speakers.

My personal theory is that the evidence from the Vedas is also largely correct and chariot-riding, proto sanskrit-speaking pastorialists did come down from the mountains and take over the upper levels of an urban civilization shortly after that civilization (the IVC) had suffered a series of disasters. I further suspect that urban civilization was more closely related in culture to the pastorialists than was previously theorized.

fasquardon

After having read a number of recent papers on the topic (not enough to make me an expert, though!), my personal opinion is that the Indo-Aryans must have reached the IVC by 2600 BC at the latest (but probably earlier), and spent the next thousand years gradually being assimilated into the already ancient, and likely Munda-speaking, Indus Valley Civilization. For whatever reason, their language became the dominant one over the entire IVC. (There is no evidence I am aware of that this process involved violence.) When the IVC started to decay after the Sarasvati River dried up around 1900 BC, the center of gravity of the Vedic world shifted to the Ganges plain. Hinduism as we know it would have been the result of a merger between the Indo-Aryan and earlier IVC belief systems.

Just posting to thanks fasquardon and Mongo about their insight. Could you advise some first study material on the question?

We know much more about the Indus Valley civilization now than we did a decade ago.

It has to be said, there is NO evidence for an Indo-Aryan invasion besides the Vedas, and they can be interpreted in alternate ways than the genocidal invasion that still commands our imaginations. Nor is there evidence that the IVC was a Dravidian-speaking culture. It is more likely that they spoke some form of Aryan language.

Also, the Indo-Gangetic civilization that arose after the IVC fell has now been directly linked to the IVC in terms of material culture - the civilization of the Ganges was certainly a descendant of the IVC, even if there was a change of language.

Also, just as the IVC extended into the Ganges basin, it also extended into Central Asia, with outposts being discovered as far away as the banks of the Amu Drya (yes, that is a HUGE area to find a single bronze age culture spread over). So even before the IVC fell, they were influencing the mountain tribes.

As such, I don't see the IVC changing things for the Indo-Aryan tribes much. Or at least not that we would notice 3000 years later. The survival of the IVC means that trade is less disrupted, but Afghanistan and Iran are still filled with Iranic peoples, these Iranic peoples still travel to India to sell horses and serve as mercenaries and North India still speaks some sort of Arayan languages, though perhaps not languages descended from Sanskrit and still Northern India and Central Asia influence each-other deeply.

fasquardon

This is fascinating, thank you!

So dravidians seem to be much more restricted to South India?

Clearly, the big invasion/genocide model does not stand up to scrutiny. It was largely a waste product of Victorian racial imagination after all.

I was fascinated by the work of Mahavedan on the IVC script; his work strongly suggests a Dravidian link, and offers a partial decipherment of the script that seems at least plausible. However, nothing there is conclusive enough.

Linguistic evidence is quite a mess, with available evidence pointing simultaneously to different possible models depending on the bits you pick: for instance, there's the supposedly critical horse factor, where the IVC seems to have had only marginal interest in horses, while horses and chariots were all-important in subsequent Vedic culture. Now, the horse and chariot lexical field is remarkably consistent, uniform, and old all over IE languages (this is one of the primary arguments for proponents of a Steppe homeland like David Anthony).
The Mitanni onomastic and religious evidence is also suggestive of the bearers of what would become Sanskrit and some elements of the Vedic religion coming into India from the outside, sometime roughly in the Mid Bronze Age. This does not appear to imply violent conquest, for which archeological evidence seems to be limited at best.

As far as I can tell, Sanskrit and other Indic languages DO bear evidence of substrate - at least part of it is probably Dravidian, and there is also lexicon reputed to have originated in the BMAC culture - no living or otherwise attested to this language has been identified so far, but it may be a candidate for the IVC.

I hasten to add there is no methodological reason to assume that the IVC was ever mono-lingual. It's simple spatial extension favors the possibility that different linguistic groups coexisted within it, as we know to have been the case in Mesopotamia.

Clearly, the big invasion/genocide model does not stand up to scrutiny. It was largely a waste product of Victorian racial imagination after all.

This is very interesting, because this model seems to be more and more heavily supported by genetics and archaeology elsewhere. I wonder what made the difference here? Possibly the mountains bottlenecking the Indo-Europeans and allowing in only a trickle?

This is fascinating, thank you!

So dravidians seem to be much more restricted to South India?

Well, there ARE Dravidian loan words in the Vedic scriptures, but they seem to be restricted to the portions of the corpus that were composed at a fairly late date. My guess would be that they entered the canon during the dispersal of the IVC peoples to the east in the second millennium BC, when they presumably came into contact with Dravidian speakers.

I would note that this time would also roughly coincide with the transformation of the religion from late Vedic to early Hindu, perhaps due to interaction with other religious traditions, including those of the Dravidian speakers they met (plus of course, catastrophes like the collapse of the IVC and consequent migration to the Ganges basin tend to produce major revolutions in religious thought; see the Isrealite Babylonian Exile for an example).

Last edited:
This is very interesting, because this model seems to be more and more heavily supported by genetics and archaeology elsewhere. I wonder what made the difference here? Possibly the mountains bottlenecking the Indo-Europeans and allowing in only a trickle?

This is intuitively plausible, but what are you referring to about that model being supported elsewhere? My understanding, largely based upon Anthony's "The Horse, the Wheel, and Language", is that the preferred model for Europe largely sees cultural diffusion from limited "intrusive" Late PIE groups rather than population substitution. So invasion, yes, genocide, hardly so.
The most common alternative model regards the cultures of "Old Europe" that is European Neolithic, as the speakers of PIE (originally from Anatolia); this model, of course, posits large population replacement but hardly any "invasion" as a single event or series of such.

This is very interesting, because this model seems to be more and more heavily supported by genetics and archaeology elsewhere

How so? Everything I went into about PIE-isation of Europe supports a model of gradual migration/acculturation (regions as Germany seems to have avoided large migrational waves)
While the model I saw doesn't contradicts episodes of violence, we have as much exemple of these before probable IEisation of these regions.

Dominance of certain genetic features can't be always explained trough outright slaughter, but may be due to a more important demographical dynamism (as pastoral/agricultural peoples coming in Europe during Mesolithic/Neolithic periods)

Its an interesting subject, and I'm a bit short of time but we previously discussed it in this thread.

Briefly, archaeological evidence shows settlements burned down and mass graves whenever the Yamnaya, i.e. Indoeuropeans encountered the previous peoples. Lately, we've also been able to sequence the genes of old skeletal remains, and put them into a timeline. This has led to possible scenarios such as the Corded Ware culture in Germany having no ancestry at all from previous populations. Not even maternal!

It appears that Gimbutas scenario of a violent replacement of previous population by the Indo-europeans very severely underestimated the level of violence. Although replacement levels in southern Europe appears to have been lower than in the north.

A problem with a genocidal scenario are the relatively smooth changes you can observe : Trypilla culture, while extending more into Ukraine with time, preserve a mostly danubian/mediterranean population, and proto-europoids skeletons are less present with time.

From this culture, appears "kurganized" elements, then probably mixed cultures.

We have there an exemple of Old Europe culture expanding up to Dniepr and mixing up with local elements, being more "steppized" culturally without drastic skeleton changes up to Ustave culture.

While theories which assert a "danubisation" of steppe cultures are quite debated, it seems that the advance of steppe culture and population was made along a mutual influence, at least at first. When PIE peoples appears as such, they're probably already a mixed lot (Varna tombs may be another hint at this cultural mixing)

The problem of Corded Ware is another : it's not really well understood when the first steppe influence appears (some seeing it since the Vth millenia, other seeing Corded Ware as a Caucasian culture) : it's really hard to point to Corded Ware and to determine it as Indo-European, maybe we're talking of a regular "infliltration" of small groups during two millenia which would explain the variety of the material culture and the different possible steppe influences.

But again, there's no real radical distinction between Corded Ware and its preceeding cultures. We know too little of climatic and demographic evidences for this period to be as affirmative.

As for violence, the distinction between Old Europe and PIE isn't that stricking : Schöneck-Kilianstädten's findings (to quote a recent one) points that ritualised (fractured tibias can't be totally explained by torture), massive and collective violence did existed, striking adults and childs alike.
In fact, one may wonder if being possibly more unified face to Old Europe populations may not have helped PIE populations (which, most certainly, didn't predominated entierly peacefully. I don't think anyone really serious argued of a fully peaceful migration model in Europe)

Unless you count the several hundred words found in the oldest portions of the Rig Veda that appear to be of Munda origin (see "Early Sources for South Asian Substrate Languages" by Michael Witzel). Although these might simply be due to borrowing from a geographically adjacent region, instead of a literal substratum.

Oh ho! Well that is very interesting indeed. I didn't know this.

Just posting to thanks fasquardon and Mongo about their insight. Could you advise some first study material on the question?

I did some quick searches, and all I could find of recently published papers that showed an older IE presence in India was the awful Grey-Atkinson study. (The one that produced this map. See this video for why the Gray-Atkinson model is rubbish.)

For older work, there is Colin Renfrew, whose Anatolian Hypothesis still answers some questions more eligantly than the competing Kurgan Hypothesis. So far as I know, however, Renfrew never looked at the implications of the Anatolian hypothesis for when IE had arrived in India. Nor could I find any of his fellow "Anatolianists" who had touched on the question in my quick searches.

It appears that Gimbutas scenario of a violent replacement of previous population by the Indo-europeans very severely underestimated the level of violence. Although replacement levels in southern Europe appears to have been lower than in the north.

So far as I've read, my impression has been that most physical evidence for "invasions" is hundreds or thousands of years off from when the "violent" IE "invaders" were supposed to have arrived.

And while violent convulsions might coincide with the emergence of IE domination, it may be not actually be an invasion at all. For example, IE speaking immigrants arriving in some area, living peacefully with the locals as itinerant traders, horse breeders and metal-smiths (think Gypsies in Europe) for some centuries, then when some disaster destabilized the whole region and everyone started fighting with each-other some ideological advantage presented by the priesthood of the IE "Gypsies" or the large network of contacts the IE "Gypsies" had built because of being traveling traders meant that they formed the nucleus around which a new society formed.

So the Indo-Europeans could both arrive earlier than the archaeological findings of burnt settlements AND also have risen to the top in a region because of that violence.

As for violence, the distinction between Old Europe and PIE isn't that stricking : Schöneck-Kilianstädten's findings (to quote a recent one) points that ritualised (fractured tibias can't be totally explained by torture), massive and collective violence did existed, striking adults and childs alike.
In fact, one may wonder if being possibly more unified face to Old Europe populations may not have helped PIE populations (which, most certainly, didn't predominated entierly peacefully. I don't think anyone really serious argued of a fully peaceful migration model in Europe)

Apparently, the substrate words that survive in the Germanic languages have alot to do with war, violence, agriculture and architecture. Which implies that whatever the non-IE language was, it was spoken by a sophisticated and warlike people.

Linguistic evidence is quite a mess, with available evidence pointing simultaneously to different possible models depending on the bits you pick: for instance, there's the supposedly critical horse factor, where the IVC seems to have had only marginal interest in horses, while horses and chariots were all-important in subsequent Vedic culture. Now, the horse and chariot lexical field is remarkably consistent, uniform, and old all over IE languages (this is one of the primary arguments for proponents of a Steppe homeland like David Anthony).
The Mitanni onomastic and religious evidence is also suggestive of the bearers of what would become Sanskrit and some elements of the Vedic religion coming into India from the outside, sometime roughly in the Mid Bronze Age. This does not appear to imply violent conquest, for which archeological evidence seems to be limited at best.

I do think that the evidence for Sanskrit and the Vedic religion being an immigrant to India is very strong - but look at Christianity and Latin, a language and a religion foreign to many areas, but their spread was not through genocidal conquest. Indeed, many places that Christianity and Church Latin spread to were already speaking related dialects of Latin due to Roman influence.

Also, I have read that there is evidence that the Anatolian IE languages (particularly Luwian) show evidence of borrowing the horse and chariot suite of words, while the agricultural words show that the common ancestor of Anatolian and Steppe IE languages was an agricultural society.

And there does seem to be some evidence to say that the people who brought agriculture to Europe were IE speakers. (There's also a good deal of evidence to say that agriculture was brought by speakers of other language groups long vanished.)

So it MAY be that both the Anatolian AND the Kurgan hypothesis are correct, and that there were two closely related cultures on both the northern and southern banks of the Black Sea who spoke similar languages and that both cultures spread their language and elements of their material civilization across Eurasia, but because they were so similar, they look almost identical to us from our distant remove in history.

As such, it may be that there was an entire branch of Indo-European languages that split off before horse domestication, spread in Asia and Europe and was then replaced by horse-culture Indo-European languages without a trace being left (except for a few examples that left inscriptions in Anatolia, like Luwian).

I hasten to add there is no methodological reason to assume that the IVC was ever mono-lingual. It's simple spatial extension favors the possibility that different linguistic groups coexisted within it, as we know to have been the case in Mesopotamia.

This is an excellent point, and a polylinguistic culture would explain a few mysteries of the region.

fasquardon