What if Ronald Reagan was strangled by a chimp?

The Time Ronald Reagan Was Nearly Strangled By A Chimp
by Mark Mancini

The fact that actor-turned-president Ronald Reagan once co-starred with a chimpanzee in Bedtime for Bonzo (1951)provided him with a long-running source of embarrassment after his political career took off decades later. The movie was, according to Johnny Carson, “a favorite of old movie buffs and Democrats” while other critics went on to cite Reagan as “the first president in history to be out-acted by a chimp.” In his own words, “I fought a losing battle with a scene-stealer with a built-in edge: he was a chimpanzee!” Making the film was certainly not monkey business; in fact, one unfortunate run-in with its leading ape nearly cost Reagan his life.

Known professionally as Peggy, the trained chimp in question was actually a female playing a role designed for the opposite sex (this was disguised by a tuft of fur carefully situated between her legs). According to witnesses, the vivacious and curious Peggy had been coached to perform hundreds of actions on command, including weeping, snarling, and puckering up.
One day on the set, Peggy’s natural inquisitiveness got the better of her. Spying Reagan’s necktie, she grabbed it with both hands and began to pull. Startled, the actor tried to back away, but the harder he resisted, the harder she pulled, nearly suffocating our fortieth president in the process. Eventually, Reagan was able to break free of her grasp—but by then, he later recalled, the knot in his tie was “as small as my fingernail.” Far too tight to be untied by hand, the garment had to be cut off Reagan’s neck by a nearby crewmember.

So what if the incedent ended with Reagen's death?

Sources
http://mentalfloss.com/article/52538/time-ronald-reagan-was-nearly-strangled-chimp

I doubt theres much that can be said if he dies then other than, no Reagan in 1980.
We could however have a much larger discussion over how Reagan would turn out if he developed a fetish for Erotic asphyxiation as a result of the incident.

I doubt theres much that can be said if he dies then other than, no Reagan in 1980.
We could however have a much larger discussion over how Reagan would turn out if he developed a fetish for Erotic asphyxiation as a result of the incident.

Who's to say he didn't?

Lots of things will be different - someone else will challenge Ford in '76, someone else will be governor of California in '67 - '75; someone else will be the leader of the conservative wing of the GOP to challenge Nixon in '68. Hell, it might result in the '68 convention being sufficiently different that Nixon picks George Romney as his VP

Someone else will be the leader of the conservative wing of the GOP to challenge Nixon in '68. Hell, it might result in the '68 convention being sufficiently different that Nixon picks George Romney as his VP

Yeah i've been wondering about this one, ole Gonzo has suggested George Murphy could take that space should he run, but who else could?
And perhaps what could a 1976 republican primary could look like after Nixon.

Archibald

Banned
Talk about a silly death. When I was in high school I heard there was a contest "most silly death this year" and the winner was an unfortunate zoo keeper that died buried under 200 pounds of elephant s*ht. He stood at the wrong place at the wrong time. Bad luck.

So he dies just before he started moving properly right and before he had any material influence on Californian politics. What does the 1960s Californian republican party look like without him?