What if earlier successful xenotransplantation?

How Pig Guts Became the Next Bright Hope for Regenerating Human Limbs (Excerpt)

Badylak seemed to be saying that he could replace human tissue with tissue from another species without triggering a virulent immune response—something that medical scientists considered impossible. Even harder to swallow was the claim that the material could transform, in a matter of months, into whatever type of body tissue had been damaged—muscle, skin, or blood vessel. When Badylak first published his findings, in 1989, the field of regenerative medicine was nonexistent. Badylak’s debut paper on ECM went to press right around the time scientists first coined the term “tissue engineering” to describe what was then considered a small but burgeoning field—the far-out-there efforts to coax cells into tissue to restore, maintain, or improve tissue function or whole organs.

Today, the most widely publicized efforts in the field concentrate on growing tissue outside the body in specially designed, easily controllable “bioreactors.” Badylak’s ECM techniques, however, stimulate the body’s own army of stem cells to do the healing, no external equipment needed. (…)

The discovery that led to this radical approach in wound healing happened quite by accident. It all started with what Badylak’s associates called a “harebrained” idea and a mutt named Rocky. (…)

One afternoon he sedated an affable dog named Rocky, removed part of the animal’s aorta, and replaced it with a piece of its small intestine, the part of the body that most resembled the tubular structure of Rocky’s blood vessels. Badylak did not expect Rocky to survive the night, but he figured that if the animal had not bled out by morning, it would prove the intestine was sturdy enough to pass blood and hence worthy of further study. This was, Badylak would later admit, the kind of outside-the-box experiment that would probably never get past a university animal-care committee today. (…)

Badylak kept expecting the dog to die, yet every day he would find Rocky healthier and more energetic than the last. Days turned to weeks and Rocky continued to thrive. “I didn’t want to go in surgically and look because I wanted to see how long the intestine would hold,” he says.
Hoping to make sense of his unexpected result, Badylak repeated the procedure on 14 other dogs. They, too, thrived. Six months later he finally operated on one of the dogs to understand why. That, he recalls, is when “things got really weird.” Badylak could 
not find the transplanted intestine.

After checking and double-checking to make sure he had the right animal, he placed a piece of tissue culled from the transplant target area under a microscope. What he saw floored him. “I was looking at something that wasn’t supposed to happen,” Badylak says. “It went against everything I had been taught in medical school.” Under the glass he could still see traces of the sutures, but the intestinal tissue was gone. The aorta had grown back in its place. “Nobody would confuse an intestine and an aorta,”

Badylak says. “The microscopic picture is entirely different. I tried to get everybody I could think of to look at it. I kept asking, ‘Am I seeing what I think I’m seeing?’ ” Intestine is composed of soft, smooth, thinly lined walls, with hairlike projections known as villi. Aorta is thick, with the meaty, striated layers of the tissue that characterizes muscle. Badylak examined several other dogs in the weeks that followed and watched the intestinal tissue transform again and again.......

It seems the basic experiment by Badylak fits right in the early wacky pioneer years of surgery of the beginning of the 20th century. So what if an easy, workable type of xenotransplantation had been discovered earlier?

Notes and Sources

I will probably use this discovery in one of my timelines but so far I am stuck where to proceed. Nevertheless I found this one interesting enough that it deserved mentioning somewhere until then.

How Pig Guts Became the Next Bright Hope for Regenerating Human Limbs
By Adam Piore, Scott Lewis 2011

Its quite a fancy quote. Have you checked what became of the follow up tricks here 5 years later?
I would say that stimulating growth of one kind of tissue cells (eg. Epithelia) is Possible. Multiple kinds into organized tissue. A whole different Ball game

Ummm.... If xenotransplantation were possible, it would be used. It isn't feasible today, with all the immunosuppressive drugs we have now, it's not going have worked "in the early wacky pioneer years of surgery of the beginning of the 20th century".

If they try it, the organs get rejected, and patients die. Might they try it? Oh, they did. Dad remembers hearing ads on the radio at night broadcast from unregulated overpowered Mexican radio stations advertising transplanting monkey testicles into men with low testosterone. (This would have been late '30s or early '40s).

Quack medicine. Dead end.

Its quite a fancy quote. Have you checked what became of the follow up tricks here 5 years later?
I would say that stimulating growth of one kind of tissue cells (eg. Epithelia) is Possible. Multiple kinds into organized tissue. A whole different Ball game

Quack medicine. Dead end.

Regenerative medicine improves strength, function in severe muscle injuries (2016)
Date:July 21, 2016
Source:University of Pittsburgh Schools of the Health Sciences
Summary: Patients with severe muscle loss surgically implanted with bioscaffolds derived from pig tissue showed significant improvement in strength and range of motion, as well as evidence for skeletal muscle regeneration, report researchers.https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/07/160721143443.htm

Doesn't look like quack medicine or dead end at all so far. That the reason I brought it up in the first place. It seems actually a promising discovery, that nevertheless could have happened earlier. Obviously it is of limited use, but certainly would be a boon to science fiction and pop culture. If you don't like small fun but insignificant tech PODS that is a different problem altogether.
Oh and since were on the topic there is another form of xenotranplatation that could have been discovered much earlier. The transfusion of Human Cord Blood into rats. Here is just the last but certainly not least report on the phenomenon:

Transplantation of human umbilical cord blood-derived mononuclear cells induces recovery of motor dysfunction in a rat model of Parkinson's disease (2016).
https://www.dovepress.com/transplantation-of-human-umbilical-cord-blood-derived-mononuclear-cell-peer-reviewed-article-JN

So in summary, niche use of xenotransplantation is doable at the beginning of the 1900 provided someone has a good or even bad theoretical basis for trying it.

Last edited:
Regenerative medicine improves strength, function in severe muscle injuries (2016)
Summary: Patients with severe muscle loss surgically implanted with bioscaffolds derived from pig tissue showed significant improvement in strength and range of motion, as well as evidence for skeletal muscle regeneration, report researchers.https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/07/160721143443.htm

Doesn't look like quack medicine or dead end at all so far. That the reason I brought it up in the first place. It seems actually a promising discovery, that nevertheless could have happened earlier. Obviously it is of limited use, but certainly would be a boon to science fiction and pop culture. If you don't like small fun but insignificant tech PODS that is a different problem altogether.
Oh and since were on the topic there is another form of xenotranplatation that could have been discovered much earlier. The transfusion of Human Cord Blood into rats. Here is just the last but certainly not least report on the phenomenon:

Transplantation of human umbilical cord blood-derived mononuclear cells induces recovery of motor dysfunction in a rat model of Parkinson's disease (2016).
https://www.dovepress.com/transplantation-of-human-umbilical-cord-blood-derived-mononuclear-cell-peer-reviewed-article-JN

So in summary, niche use of xenotransplantation is doable at the beginning of the 1900 provided someone has a good or even bad theoretical basis for trying it.
Thanks for persisting. A few nays doesn't prove you wrong.
However, your examples are exactly one kind of cells differentiating in a previously formed tissue or scaffold. They dont get as fanzy as you started out requiring.
Also beware that the chronic immune suppression these animals get are only good for clean stables and short time. Had this been reversed the cells would eventually have been rejected or the host severely immune suppressed. Not possible 100 years ago.
What do you need to make your TL work?

Did you actually read that article?
That's not xenotransplantation by any reasonable definition.
From Wiki
Each type of connective tissue in animals has a type of ECM: collagen fibers and bone mineral comprise the ECM of bone tissue; reticular fibers and ground substance comprise the ECM of loose connective tissue; and blood plasma is the ECM of blood.
All the stuff I've read about bioscaffolds used for regeneration used very thorough sterlization to specifically remove the live tissue. This article is not clear on whether (or how much) sterilization happened, but it's a LONG way away from xenotransplantation.

This, however, is far more interesting, and thank you for the reference. It DOES look like it might bode well for the future.
However, again looking at the article,
Culture flasks or dishes were precoated with poly-l-ornithine and mouse laminin (Sigma-Aldrich, St. Louis, MO, USA). After isolation, hUCB-MNCs were immediately plated and cultured in T75 flasks with differentiation medium containing DMEM/F12, supplemented with 20% FBS, 1% NEAA, 1% glutamine, and 1% P/S with addition of bFGF (10 ng/mL), epidermal growth factor (EGF) (10 ng/mL) for 2–4 weeks to isolate the MSCs.28 These MSCs were collected, subcultured, and passaged every 7–10 days after the cells grew and reached a confluency of 70%–80%. These MSC cells were induced for neural differentiation by modifying the published procedure.23 In brief, our method was composed of three stages of differentiation. Stage one of inducing hUCB-MNCs-derived MSCs toward a neural fate: for the first 3 days, cells were plated in 6-well plates precoated with poly-ornithine and laminin (Sigma-Aldrich) at 3×105 cells/well and cultured in DMEM/F12, N2, P/S, FGF-2 (10 ng/mL) and EGF (10 ng/mL). Stage two of inducing midbrain neuron specification: for the next 10 days cells were switched to medium containing DMEM/F12, B27 (2%), N2 (1%), P/S, Sonic Hedgehog (SHH, 100 ng/mL; R&D Systems, Minneapolis, MN, USA), FGF-8 (10 ng/mL, PeproTech, Inc, Rocky Hill, NJ, USA), and AAP (200 mM, Sigma-Aldrich). Stage three of inducing maturation toward dopaminergic neurons: for the last 7–10 days medium was changed to DMEM/F12, B27(2%), P/S, GDNF (50 ng/mL), BDNF (50 ng/mL; R&D Systems), cAMP, and ascorbic acid (200 mM). All growth factors were purchased from R&D Biosystems, Peprotech Inc, or Sigma-Aldrich. Cells were fixed for immunocytochemical characterization after 2–3 weeks of differentiation.
Hardly a procedure that would be available in 1900, say.
Note, too, that the rats were euthanized after 16 weeks, and if tissue rejection were going to happen (especially in the brain), it might take longer than that.
Note, additionally, that the brain is immunologically privileged organ, and rejection takes longer there than in other organs.

So... I still say that attempts before WWI (say) would fail miserably at least 99% of the time (even if maybe, just possibly, there might be an isolated success or two), which would discredit the idea and cause laws to be enacted against it. For that matter, OTL's vivisection laws might be against it.

Heart valves from pigs have been used in cardiac surgery for quite some time. Pig skin has been used as a temporary dressing for severe burns. Animal bone has been used for grafts. Having said all of that all of these have been treated to be non-allogenic and all are dead tissue, that is not containing any living cells. The skin is removed and replaced with autotransplant at a time when the patient is ready, then xenoskin is used to prevent fluid loss through open areas and works better than many dressings. The animal bone has all proteins removed and is simply a scaffold to allow the host bone cells to use to rebuild voids.

The problem is that transplanting animal tissue with living cells in it, whether skin, bone, or complex organs like livers or hearts is much more of an insult to the immune system than human tissue. When you transplant human tissue, you strive to have as close a match as possible, there is a long list of major and minor antigens - the more that are a match the better the odds the transplant will work. Other than identical twins there are always antigenic mismatches, hence the need for immunosuppressive drugs.

Blood transfusions were failures, usually deadly, until Carl Landsteiner reported on the A,B, AB, O blood groups. This was further refined in the late 1930s so now you have A, B, AB, O and O + and -. Until you had even more understanding of the immune systems and the various antigens, transplants between humans were doomed to failure, and xenotransplants even worse.

Having said all that there has been research on trying to breed animals like pigs that either had human antigens or were without antigenic reaction in humans - this done by DNA manipulation. Theoretically if you could do this, they would represent a source of organs.

I should point out that there is another effective kind of allotransplantation that works without Immunosupprrssion. Skin cancer in Tasmanien devils is transferred via scrathches.
Its not xeno, its not usefull, but it does show that oddities happen.