Was it ever possible for Hillary Clinton to become President before Bill?

I am surprised this was’nt shur down for current politics.
My humble recommendation is to PM a mod, and ask them to move to chat.

Any politics after 1980, I would tread carefully, and 2000 and beyond is Chat Only.

I think if Bill retires after being governor, but Hillary still gets involved in politics (perhaps a house seat or a ambassadorship), she could have a shot. Not a good one, but a plausible shot nonetheless.

Darzin

Banned
Maybe if Bill wins the nomination but is assassinated? Politicians wives have carried the torch for their dead husbands before. Though Hillary may have needed to hold office for this to be plausible.

kholieken

Banned
No.

Americans simply not prepared to accept female President. Even with Bill as husband, long career as politicians, support from Democratic politicos, etc people instead flood to Bernie and Trump. Barrier to successful female politician is too great.

dcharles

Banned
I am surprised this was’nt shur down for current politics.
My humble recommendation is to PM a mod, and ask them to move to chat.

Any politics after 1980, I would tread carefully, and 2000 and beyond is Chat Only.

If I could give that thumbs down I would.

2000 is more than twenty years ago.

Two decades ago isn't "current" by any reasonable definition of the term.

dcharles

Banned
As it says within the title.

I think it's tougher for Hillary Clinton to be POTUS before Bill.

But Hillary Rodham?

Sure. Even if it's a post 1990 PoD. Imagine if, in 1992, Hill had left Bill over all the bullshit.

Bill's screwed. But not Hillary. Almost anyone who's willing to try (and they don't have to even be too clever about it) can think of a scenario where Hillary, due to her skilz, manages to snag the Democratic nomination by 2020.

(And I'm literally from the John Edwards-Obama-Sanders wing of the party.)

Not really after his presidency, but an early terminated one? Bill is assassinated somewhere during his presidency (before Monica? His approval rates were highest after it, so idk what the 'best' time is) and eventually she uses his legacy to run for office? Gore probably wins 2000 in this scenario, loses in 2004. So Hillary 2008, 2012 or 2016?
Maybe it works for the challenge if he is assassinated after the election but before he is inaugurated, after 8 years of Gore in which she works on her career?

Last edited:
If I could give that thumbs down I would.

2000 is more than twenty years ago.

Two decades ago isn't "current" by any reasonable definition of the term.
It’s just that a lot of current issues popped up around that time. I’m just giving advice. Since this is somewhat pre 2000, I was just trying to help.

I think it's tougher for Hillary Clinton to be POTUS before Bill.

But Hillary Rodham?

Sure. Even if it's a post 1990 PoD. Imagine if, in 1992, Hill had left Bill over all the bullshit.

Bill's screwed. But not Hillary. Almost anyone who's willing to try (and they don't have to even be too clever about it) can think of a scenario where Hillary, due to her skilz, manages to snag the Democratic nomination by 2020.

(And I'm literally from the John Edwards-Obama-Sanders wing of the party.)
hillary's only skill was riding Bill's coattails. She had no political career prior to his Presidency and road his popularity to the NY Senate seat, not even her home state, after he setup shop in Harlem post Presidency.

Garrison

Donor
Perhaps a question to ask when we have evidence that the USA is willing to elect any woman to the Presidency?

Perhaps a question to ask when we have evidence that the USA is willing to elect any woman to the Presidency?
We might also ask when the US is willing to elect short people to the presidency. Being 5'9", I must lose all hope :)

Different note though, my impression has generally been that democrats tended to not like Hillary much themselves, let alone independents or middling Republicans. Her best bet might be after a split up from Bill in the 90s, as noted above.

We might also ask when the US is willing to elect short people to the presidency. Being 5'9", I must lose all hope :)

Different note though, my impression has generally been that democrats tended to not like Hillary much themselves, let alone independents or middling Republicans. Her best bet might be after a split up from Bill in the 90s, as noted above.
But split up as in divorce or bill getting assasinated? As those 2 can have different impact

The only reason Clinton ever had a political career of her own is because she stood by Bill during the Monica scandal.