Wars of American Unification - 1860s US a la Turtledove

Haven't quite given this alot of thought, but I was thinking about setting an ATL similar to Turtledove's Great War series in 1860s America. Basically a North American version of the Wars of Unification in Europe.

East of the Mississippi River will be the balkanized American states. Probably organized into large governments.

Commonwealth of New England, Republic of the Alleghenies (Pennsylvania and New York), Dominion of Virginia (including Kentucky), the Confederation of the Northwest, Dixie (North & South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida), Alabama and Louisiana.

West of the Mississippi River will be:
Deseret, the Confederation of Indian Nations, Republic of Texas, the California Empire.

Haven't thought about Canada, tho that would include Quebec.

Basically the idea would be that Abraham Lincoln would serve as an 'American Bismarck' to forcibly unite the American nations into one country.

The Indian Confederation would be a stand in for the Austro-Hungarian Empire with its multitude of tribes, languages and governing councils.

California would be a very liberal version of Russia, under the House of Norton.

Texas would be a sort of Italy under Sam Houston. Tho with a large degree of German settlers.

I was trying to figure out a way to duplicate the Napoleonic Wars in North America, perhaps having the Jacksonian Wars as Virginia attempts to unify the squabbling nations under its wing.

Any other thoughts?

Haven't quite given this alot of thought, but I was thinking about setting an ATL similar to Turtledove's Great War series in 1860s America. Basically a North American version of the Wars of Unification in Europe.

East of the Mississippi River will be the balkanized American states. Probably organized into large governments.

Commonwealth of New England, Republic of the Alleghenies (Pennsylvania and New York), Dominion of Virginia (including Kentucky), the Confederation of the Northwest, Dixie (North & South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida), Alabama and Louisiana.

West of the Mississippi River will be:
Deseret, the Confederation of Indian Nations, Republic of Texas, the California Empire.

Haven't thought about Canada, tho that would include Quebec.

Basically the idea would be that Abraham Lincoln would serve as an 'American Bismarck' to forcibly unite the American nations into one country.

The Indian Confederation would be a stand in for the Austro-Hungarian Empire with its multitude of tribes, languages and governing councils.

California would be a very liberal version of Russia, under the House of Norton.

Texas would be a sort of Italy under Sam Houston. Tho with a large degree of German settlers.

I was trying to figure out a way to duplicate the Napoleonic Wars in North America, perhaps having the Jacksonian Wars as Virginia attempts to unify the squabbling nations under its wing.

Any other thoughts?

Great idea, but you need to determine how and why the different parts of the country split in the first place. Did they secede, or were they never in the US to begin with?

Great idea, but you need to determine how and why the different parts of the country split in the first place. Did they secede, or were they never in the US to begin with?

I think it would be easiest to believe that the states fall apart after independence.