Trying to Please Everyone: Or Converting multiple Pop Culture Utopias into a Timeline.

Two anime-related questions:

1. What happens with Princess Mononoke?
It’s TTL equivalent is the Legend of Ashitaka. See 1986 in Anime.
2. Any plans for Satoshi Kon’s filmography or the man himself ITTL?
Kon started off as an animator doing background work for most of the Katsuhiro Otomo projects(Akira,Roujin Z, Memories), then did some work for Studio Daicon(OTL Gainax) when Otomo went over there. However, Mamoru Oshii wants to return to manga to do a work called Seraphim(cancelled OTL) and wants to hire Kon to work on it with the intent that it gets turned into a film. Because of this Oshii is planning on stepping down as the head of the Japan Heroes cinematic Universe to make that manga with Kon. Kon in the meantime has worked as an animator on the Jojo’s series.

Coming up Perfect Blue ITTL is a live action film per request of the author(OTL the budget dropped to make it direct to video. It just happened to blow up in popularity). Kon’s next film is instead the fictional Saki Sanobashi or Go for a Punch(which OTL was thought to be lost media but is now widely confirmed to be invented by the internet). This results in the creation of the Madhouse label officially for Tezula Productions(similar to how Disney ITTL had Hyperion pictures for their darker not kid friendly content and Tezuka is associated with kids fare). After that he does Paprika which he intended to do OTL but the studio went bankrupt(he’s still under Madhouse) Paprika is released next in 1999. Millennium Actress is released around 2001 or 2003 with a different plot as the studio Kon worked for didn’t go bankrupt which presumably inspired that film’s plot. Seraphim is next in 2005 or 2006. Then Tokyo Godfathers in 2007 or 2008. Finally the OTL unfinished Dream Machine in 2010 before likely taking a break for his cancer treatment and will quite possibly survive longer.

It’s TTL equivalent is the Legend of Ashitaka. See 1986 in Anime.
Heck yeah, I’ll go check that out.

Kon started off as an animator doing background work for most of the Katsuhiro Otomo projects(Akira,Roujin Z, Memories), then did some work for Studio Daicon(OTL Gainax) when Otomo went over there. However, Mamoru Oshii wants to return to manga to do a work called Seraphim(cancelled OTL) and wants to hire Kon to work on it with the intent that it gets turned into a film. Because of this Oshii is planning on stepping down as the head of the Japan Heroes cinematic Universe to make that manga with Kon. Kon in the meantime has worked as an animator on the Jojo’s series.
Cool! It makes sense one of the greatest Japanese anime animators worked on one of the best anime films (Akira) of all time.

Coming up Perfect Blue ITTL is a live action film per request of the author(OTL the budget dropped to make it direct to video. It just happened to blow up in popularity).
You know, while I still think the OTL anime version is great, I actually can respect that and think it’ll work in live action.

Kon’s next film is instead the fictional Saki Sanobashi or Go for a Punch(which OTL was thought to be lost media but is now widely confirmed to be invented by the internet). This results in the creation of the Madhouse label officially for Tezula Productions(similar to how Disney ITTL had Hyperion pictures for their darker not kid friendly content and Tezuka is associated with kids fare).
Hell yeah! I love this idea! I knew that fictional Internet stuff like this would become real stuff, like the Man in the Suit analog horror.

After that he does Paprika which he intended to do OTL but the studio went bankrupt(he’s still under Madhouse) Paprika is released next in 1999. Millennium Actress is released around 2001 or 2003 with a different plot as the studio Kon worked for didn’t go bankrupt which presumably inspired that film’s plot. Seraphim is next in 2005 or 2006. Then Tokyo Godfathers in 2007 or 2008. Finally the OTL unfinished Dream Machine in 2010 before likely taking a break for his cancer treatment and will quite possibly survive longer.
Great stuff! I wonder what he would’ve done had he lived for atleast a little while longer into the 2010s…

Hey Can you do a thread mark for the thundercats?
Maybe but it would be later and on the 2011 Thundercats. There’s not much I could find to change for the original. ITTL however there is an OTL cancelled Thundercats CGI that does exist. While it wasn’t super successful, it did spawn an equivalent tv show that lasted a few seasons and went a lot darker(the OTL 2011 show was meant to be closer in tone to something like the samurai Jack remake with a bigger plot and character deaths, airing on adult swim). Thundercats Roar outright does not exist.

Does Jetix and Disney X-D still even exist?
No because Jetix was a merger of Fox channels and Fox here has been replaced by the failed OTL Overmyer. The equivalent would be something like Omy(pronounced Omi)kids for Fox Kids. Jetix was chosen by a kid focus group but even so the name wouldn’t be the same. Finally Disney XD proved harmful in the long run because Disney would move popular animated shows there from the Disney channel and this resulted in less kids watching them., leading them to either struggle or be cancelled. By not splitting it then Disney would outright see the shows are doing well and treat them better rather than treat them poorly or neglect them because the split in channels simulated that they were not doing as well as they were.

Maybe but it would be later and on the 2011 Thundercats. There’s not much I could find to change for the original. ITTL however there is an OTL cancelled Thundercats CGI that does exist. While it wasn’t super successful, it did spawn an equivalent tv show that lasted a few seasons and went a lot darker(the OTL 2011 show was meant to be closer in tone to something like the samurai Jack remake with a bigger plot and character deaths, airing on adult swim).
Really? What's the CG show?
Thundercats Roar outright does not exist.
Thank GOD! I think it could still exist, but as something different.

No because Jetix was a merger of Fox channels and Fox here has been replaced by the failed OTL Overmyer. The equivalent would be something like Omy(pronounced Omi)kids for Fox Kids. Jetix was chosen by a kid focus group but even so the name wouldn’t be the same. Finally Disney XD proved harmful in the long run because Disney would move popular animated shows there from the Disney channel and this resulted in less kids watching them., leading them to either struggle or be cancelled. By not splitting it then Disney would outright see the shows are doing well and treat them better rather than treat them poorly or neglect them because the split in channels simulated that they were not doing as well as they were.
Great!

Maybe but it would be later and on the 2011 Thundercats. There’s not much I could find to change for the original. ITTL however there is an OTL cancelled Thundercats CGI that does exist. While it wasn’t super successful, it did spawn an equivalent tv show that lasted a few seasons and went a lot darker(the OTL 2011 show was meant to be closer in tone to something like the samurai Jack remake with a bigger plot and character deaths, airing on adult swim). Thundercats Roar outright does not exist.
Awesome! What about the rest of rankin/bass, specifically their iconic Christmas specials like Rudolph and frosty the snowman?

Really? What's the CG show?
Only the movie was CGI. The show was 2D animated. You can see the leaked test footage below.

Awesome! What about the rest of rankin/bass, specifically their iconic Christmas specials like Rudolph and frosty the snowman?
Still happen but Frosty is stop motion.
Omi also sounds like a nice name as well! What will Omi air?
Currently anything that Fox aired OTL

Nice! I do admit to say that I do love Disney cartoons, so I approve of this!

Studio Ghibli Plans
Hopefully this question won’t be too spoilerly for you to answer, but what are your ideas and plans for Studio Ghibli’s line-up ITTL?
Shouldn't yet since its very possible it will get shuffled up but here.

-ITTL Studio Ghibli was founded in 1968. Founders Miyazaki and Takahata left Toei Animation that year but went to work elsewhere, finding Studio Ghibli OTL in the 1980's. ITTL they founded It the first time they quit rather than the second.
- OTL Miyazaki in the 90's dropped from making a film every 2 years to roughly every 4, and I took this into account when spacing them out.
-Due to Walt Disney living until 1994, when I say Disney, until that year I usually mean Walt Disney himself.
-Yoshifumi Kondo was intended to succeed Miyazaki and Takahata but then he suddenly and unexpectedly died. Miyazaki took a break until Spirited Away. His death being butterflied led many to believe Miyazaki would retire for good, but he ended up coming back anyway and making a film every 4 years.
- Due to Kondo needing to take better care of his health it is instead Mamoru Hosoda who becomes the golden child that leads Ghibli to a new age. He's fine with adapting a few western properties. Currently he's making a trilogy of essentially "Anime" takes on the Disney Renaissance film with Ponyo(The Little Mermaid), Belle(Beauty and the Beast) and possibly a Lion King or Aladdin equivalent at some point).
-Looking through it the only true Ghibli films butterflied are Ocean Waves(meant to test the studio without Miyazaki or Takahata and ITTL they used Only Yesterday), My Neighbors the Yamadas(replaced by Like the Clouds, Like the Wind) and Earwig and the Witch(Made by Gorō Miyazaki, who ITTL wasn't pressured to follow his father's footsteps).

Previous:
1972: Pippi Longstocking(OTL cancelled Film)
1974: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind(Miyazaki had the basic idea by this time OTL).
1976: From the Apennines to the Andes(OTL's 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother) and Castle in the Sky(Again Miyazaki had the idea).
1978: Lupin The 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro
1980: Rowlf(OTL Cancelled Film)
1982: Gauche the Cellist(OTL film not made by Miyazaki).
1984: My Neighbor Totoro, Grave of the Fireflies, co-production with Disney for Basil of Baker Street(Animation and some input).
1986: The Legend of Ashitaka(OTL's Princess Mononoke. Miyazaki wanted this to be the title but lost to Takahata who wanted Princess Mononoke)
1988: Nadia and the Secret of Blue Water(By Miyazaki, joint Walt Disney Production, merging OTL Atlantis: the Lost Empire) and Kiki's Delivery Service(By Isao Takahata).
1989: Little Nemo(Miyazaki, joint-Walt Disney production), and Border 1939(OTL cancelled Takahata production).
1990: Tailspin(TV Series. Mix of OTL Tailspin and Porco Rosso. Joint Ghibli-Walt Disney Production).
1991: The Tale of Princess Kaguya(Takahata, Delayed but eventually released OTL).
1993: Only Yesterday(Not made by Miyazaki or Takahata ITTL but as a test to see if the studio staff could make a film without them).
1994: Treasure Planet(Hayao Miyazaki, joint Disney-Venture) and Pom Poko(Takahata).
1995: The Cat in the Hat(Yoshifumi Kondo).

Future Plans
1997: Spirited Away(Miyazaki, intended final film due to Kondo surviving, allowing him to retire).
1999: Like the Clouds, Like the Wind(Takahata).
2001; Howl's Moving Castle(Mamoru Hosoda, OTL not fired because Miyazaki "Didn't want to stifle his creativity". Hired ITTL after Miyazaki retires).
2002: The Cat in the Hat Comes Back(Yoshifumi Kondō)
2004: Tales from Earthsea(Miyazaki, goaded for one film out of retirement by the author of the book. He will start returning every 4 years).
2006: The Girl Who Leaped Through Time(Mamoru Hosoda).
2008: The Borrowers(Included as Miyazaki and Takahata wanted to make it for 40 years and come back to oversee production).
2010: The Red Turtle(Dutch Co-Production with Michaël Dudok de Wit).
2011: Wolf Children(Mamoru Hosoda)
2012: The Wind Rises(Miyazaki).
2013: Ready Player One(Mamoru Hosoda, a mix of the OTL book, Spielberg film, and Summer Wars).
2014: Ponyo(Mamoru Hosoda. a mix of the OTL film and Mirai).
2016: When Marmie was Here(Miyazaki, one of his favorite books actually).
2018: Undertale(Mamoru Hosoda. Yes an adaptation of the Video Game, though it uses the game's resets and timelines to tell a new story and OTL's The Boy and the Beast).
2020: The Boy and the Heron(Miyazaki, actual intended release to coincide with Tokyo Olympics, not cancelled due to no Pandemic. Possibly his true last film).
2023: Belle(Mamoru Hosoda).

Further into the Future: Miyazaki could possibly have a film released in 2024 ITTL. Hosoda has either a film that is a spin on The Lion King or Aladdin, or also possibly an adaptation of Deltarune in the vain of his Undertale film.

What about other 80's cartoons that were made to sell toys but were still enjoyable like masters of the universe and gi joe?
For He-Man, the Masters of the Universe go by their original name: The Lords of Power. They were released as a DC Comics series accompanying the Toys in Toys R'Us(OTL rejected it because(Five year olds don't read) and the show was still made. The gay undertones carry over to She-Ra Princess of Power, ironically making it closer to its OTL Reboot. The 1990 New Adventures of He-Man does not exist ITTL. The 2002 reboot still happens and lasts a season longer but Revelations does not, largely due to Kevin Smith passing away as he nearly did OTL were it not for a well timed Doctor check up. Eventually a trilogy of films starring Kellan Lutz as He-Man are made directed by John Woo, John M.Chu, and Jeff Wadlow. The tone varies from 300 to Guardians of the Galaxy similar to the OTL MCU Thor films and are released around 2006, 2008 and 2010. They are released at Legendary/Warner Bros. Justin Marks wrote the scripts. The first film depicts He-Man and Skeletor's origins. Skeleton takes over Castle Greyskull with the young Prince Adam being sent away. The film then follows him as he seeks to avenge his family and discover the sword of Power and defeat Skeletor. More details are revealed in the other films such as Queen Marlena being an astronaut from Earth and that Prince Adam's brother Keldor was exiled and became Skeleton.

For G.I.Joe, the show is made but it much darker, though crossovers with the Transformers cartoon are frequent. Duke and Optimus Prime's fates are reversed(and they nearly were due to the two films being made at the same time and being influenced by another. The backlash to Prime dying led to Duke being "Just in a coma". ITTL Duke does indeed die while Prime returns in the finale of the Transformers film. for the final battle. In the 2000s there is a Hasbro Cinematic Universe where G.I.Joe movies directed by Michael Bay crossover with the Steven Spielberg helmed Transformers film. This is largely due to no 9/11 making studios hesitant to make a G.I.Joe film.

Shouldn't yet since its very possible it will get shuffled up but here.

-ITTL Studio Ghibli was founded in 1968. Founders Miyazaki and Takahata left Toei Animation that year but went to work elsewhere, finding Studio Ghibli OTL in the 1980's. ITTL they founded It the first time they quit rather than the second.
- OTL Miyazaki in the 90's dropped from making a film every 2 years to roughly every 4, and I took this into account when spacing them out.
-Due to Walt Disney living until 1994, when I say Disney, until that year I usually mean Walt Disney himself.
-Yoshifumi Kondo was intended to succeed Miyazaki and Takahata but then he suddenly and unexpectedly died. Miyazaki took a break until Spirited Away. His death being butterflied led many to believe Miyazaki would retire for good, but he ended up coming back anyway and making a film every 4 years.
- Due to Kondo needing to take better care of his health it is instead Mamoru Hosoda who becomes the golden child that leads Ghibli to a new age. He's fine with adapting a few western properties. Currently he's making a trilogy of essentially "Anime" takes on the Disney Renaissance film with Ponyo(The Little Mermaid), Belle(Beauty and the Beast) and possibly a Lion King or Aladdin equivalent at some point).
-Looking through it the only true Ghibli films butterflied are Ocean Waves(meant to test the studio without Miyazaki or Takahata and ITTL they used Only Yesterday), My Neighbors the Yamadas(replaced by Like the Clouds, Like the Wind) and Earwig and the Witch(Made by Gorō Miyazaki, who ITTL wasn't pressured to follow his father's footsteps).

Previous:
1972: Pippi Longstocking(OTL cancelled Film)
1974: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind(Miyazaki had the basic idea by this time OTL).
1976: From the Apennines to the Andes(OTL's 3000 Leagues in Search of Mother) and Castle in the Sky(Again Miyazaki had the idea).
1978: Lupin The 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro
1980: Rowlf(OTL Cancelled Film)
1982: Gauche the Cellist(OTL film not made by Miyazaki).
1984: My Neighbor Totoro, Grave of the Fireflies, co-production with Disney for Basil of Baker Street(Animation and some input).
1986: The Legend of Ashitaka(OTL's Princess Mononoke. Miyazaki wanted this to be the title but lost to Takahata who wanted Princess Mononoke)
1988: Nadia and the Secret of Blue Water(By Miyazaki, joint Walt Disney Production, merging OTL Atlantis: the Lost Empire) and Kiki's Delivery Service(By Isao Takahata).
1989: Little Nemo(Miyazaki, joint-Walt Disney production), and Border 1939(OTL cancelled Takahata production).
1990: Tailspin(TV Series. Mix of OTL Tailspin and Porco Rosso. Joint Ghibli-Walt Disney Production).
1991: The Tale of Princess Kaguya(Takahata, Delayed but eventually released OTL).
1993: Only Yesterday(Not made by Miyazaki or Takahata ITTL but as a test to see if the studio staff could make a film without them).
1994: Treasure Planet(Hayao Miyazaki, joint Disney-Venture) and Pom Poko(Takahata).
1995: The Cat in the Hat(Yoshifumi Kondo).

Future Plans
1997: Spirited Away(Miyazaki, intended final film due to Kondo surviving, allowing him to retire).
1999: Like the Clouds, Like the Wind(Takahata).
2001; Howl's Moving Castle(Mamoru Hosoda, OTL not fired because Miyazaki "Didn't want to stifle his creativity". Hired ITTL after Miyazaki retires).
2002: The Cat in the Hat Comes Back(Yoshifumi Kondō)
2004: Tales from Earthsea(Miyazaki, goaded for one film out of retirement by the author of the book. He will start returning every 4 years).
2006: The Girl Who Leaped Through Time(Mamoru Hosoda).
2008: The Borrowers(Included as Miyazaki and Takahata wanted to make it for 40 years and come back to oversee production).
2010: The Red Turtle(Dutch Co-Production with Michaël Dudok de Wit).
2011: Wolf Children(Mamoru Hosoda)
2012: The Wind Rises(Miyazaki).
2013: Ready Player One(Mamoru Hosoda, a mix of the OTL book, Spielberg film, and Summer Wars).
2014: Ponyo(Mamoru Hosoda. a mix of the OTL film and Mirai).
2016: When Marmie was Here(Miyazaki, one of his favorite books actually).
2018: Undertale(Mamoru Hosoda. Yes an adaptation of the Video Game, though it uses the game's resets and timelines to tell a new story and OTL's The Boy and the Beast).
2020: The Boy and the Heron(Miyazaki, actual intended release to coincide with Tokyo Olympics, not cancelled due to no Pandemic. Possibly his true last film).
2023: Belle(Mamoru Hosoda).

Further into the Future: Miyazaki could possibly have a film released in 2024 ITTL. Hosoda has either a film that is a spin on The Lion King or Aladdin, or also possibly an adaptation of Deltarune in the vain of his Undertale film.
Awesome!

Spirited Away released four years earlier and in the place of OTL Princess Mononoke in 1997 sounds great. I would imagine it’s still one of the greatest animated films ever made of all time? Howl’s Moving Castle being released in 2001 in the place of OTL Spirited Away is also a nice touch too.

Yeah I imagined The Boy and Heron would release in 2020 too!

While I am personally uncertain about Undertale being an intended adaptation, I would love to see how Studio Ghibli would handle that game and also Deltarune too, I’m just now imagining Kris and Susie in an anime style.

For He-Man, the Masters of the Universe go by their original name: The Lords of Power. They were released as a DC Comics series accompanying the Toys in Toys R'Us(OTL rejected it because(Five year olds don't read) and the show was still made. The gay undertones carry over to She-Ra Princess of Power, ironically making it closer to its OTL Reboot. The 1990 New Adventures of He-Man does not exist ITTL. The 2002 reboot still happens and lasts a season longer but Revelations does not, largely due to Kevin Smith passing away as he nearly did OTL were it not for a well timed Doctor check up. Eventually a trilogy of films starring Kellan Lutz as He-Man are made directed by John Woo, John M.Chu, and Jeff Wadlow. The tone varies from 300 to Guardians of the Galaxy similar to the OTL MCU Thor films and are released around 2006, 2008 and 2010. They are released at Legendary/Warner Bros. Justin Marks wrote the scripts. The first film depicts He-Man and Skeletor's origins. Skeleton takes over Castle Greyskull with the young Prince Adam being sent away. The film then follows him as he seeks to avenge his family and discover the sword of Power and defeat Skeletor. More details are revealed in the other films such as Queen Marlena being an astronaut from Earth and that Prince Adam's brother Keldor was exiled and became Skeleton.

For G.I.Joe, the show is made but it much darker, though crossovers with the Transformers cartoon are frequent. Duke and Optimus Prime's fates are reversed(and they nearly were due to the two films being made at the same time and being influenced by another. The backlash to Prime dying led to Duke being "Just in a coma". ITTL Duke does indeed die while Prime returns in the finale of the Transformers film. for the final battle. In the 2000s there is a Hasbro Cinematic Universe where G.I.Joe movies directed by Michael Bay crossover with the Steven Spielberg helmed Transformers film. This is largely due to no 9/11 making studios hesitant to make a G.I.Joe film.
What does happen to the Netflix reboots except for Revelations?

Hasbro cinematic universe!? What other franchises are apart of this? Micronauts? rom: space knight? My little pony? Jem? Inhumanoids? M.A.S.K.? Visionaries? Dungeons & dragons? Power rangers? Can the later 2 have their own dedicated thread marks, Especially Power rangers?

What does happen to the Netflix reboots except for Revelations?

Hasbro cinematic universe!? What other franchises are apart of this? Micronauts? rom: space knight? My little pony? Jem? Inhumanoids? M.A.S.K.? Visionaries? Dungeons & dragons? Power rangers? Can the later 2 have their own dedicated thread marks, Especially Power rangers?
She-Ra and Voltron could still exist. Micronauts and Rom are legally tied to Marvel ITTL. It's mostly Transformers and G. I. Joe helmed. My Little Pony has crossovers but they are animated film(rendering the Transformers and G.I.Joe characters in 2D animation called back to the 80's designs. Jem would also appear in animated form, likely a series though will likely also cameo in live action films(possibly played by Taylor Swift or the like as an inside joke). The Inhumanoids, M.A.S.K., Visionaries are introduced gradually(think of how the MCU introduces many characters without their own films). Dungeons and Dragons would get films and have a crossover akin to IDW's Infestation in showing a threat attack multiple worlds. The Power Rangers at least will get a dedicated Threadmark but not for awhile. Thought they launch earlier in 1992 and are called the Galaxy Rangers.