Treaty of Ghent question

The capital is burned, Britain has control of Lake Ontario, Lake Erie and stubbornly holds out in the Northwest, Plattsburgh has fallen, Britain occupies both sides of the Niagara and New Orleans could fall at any moment.

America has clearly lost the War of 1812. I doubt Britain would do it for fear of causing worse relations down the line (I think they'd swap it for concessions elsewhere), but could Britain repudiate the Louisiana Purchase in a victory? And given the shape Spain was in post-war, could Spain even manage to hang on to it?

The capital is burned, Britain has control of Lake Ontario, Lake Erie and stubbornly holds out in the Northwest, Plattsburgh has fallen, Britain occupies both sides of the Niagara and New Orleans could fall at any moment.

America has clearly lost the War of 1812. I doubt Britain would do it for fear of causing worse relations down the line (I think they'd swap it for concessions elsewhere), but could Britain repudiate the Louisiana Purchase in a victory? And given the shape Spain was in post-war, could Spain even manage to hang on to it?

Well an all out victor might be able to do it but sometimes unintended consequences happen. I remember the Harry Turtledove series of alt history involving the ACW and always wondered how the UK might have liked having to deal with TWO American nations in North America?

OT subject I'm bringing up but I wonder if the war maybe helped convince Spain to finally hand over Florida to the US? I've seen it bought up before.

OT subject I'm bringing up but I wonder if the war maybe helped convince Spain to finally hand over Florida to the US? I've seen it bought up before.

I think between the West Florida Cession in 1810 and the everything that led to the Adams Onis Treaty in 1819 pretty much proved that Spain had zero ability to control Florida. It was either fight an expensive war over territory they barely administer and control, or just let it go because Spain is barely there anyway.

I think that you'd need a more thorough defeat before the US would give up Louisiana. If the British are in New York City (Prevost's ultimate destination) and New Orleans and the federal government has basically broken down due to insolvency (which nearly happened), then some government might sign a treaty with Britain returning Louisiana to Spain.

Could Spain hold onto it for, say, 20 years? That would be difficult. But a broken up US would be hard pressed to move into it. The effort would probably be made by an independent South.

Have you read David Fitz-Enz's Redcoats' Revenge? It explores a longer, more brutal War of 1812.

I think that you'd need a more thorough defeat before the US would give up Louisiana. If the British are in New York City (Prevost's ultimate destination) and New Orleans and the federal government has basically broken down due to insolvency (which nearly happened), then some government might sign a treaty with Britain returning Louisiana to Spain.

I honestly doubt Prevost's ability to get to New York City. I doubt he'd get to Albany, maybe he could get as far as Ticonderoga though.

Wait, the British are trying to recapture the 13 colonies? Okay then. I'll simply say that I find them deciding on those war goals to be highly unlikely and leave it at that.

No, that's not their goal. I was vague because I didn't want to give any spoilers.