TLIAW: Profiles in Cowardice

I agree, I really like this format. You can put in loads of things that don't get elaborated but everyone in the comments knows. Plus it allows a nice way of noting things the narrator might have gotten wrong.

My favorite touch was probably the "noodle incident" of the one comment that kept getting censored by the AI moderator though. I'm sure all of us have our own vision of what kept geting removed there.

the ongoing democratic backsliding in Australia...
I'm not sure if this implies that Australia is sliding backwards towards democracy, or sliding backwards away from democracy, but it raises the larger question of when has Australia (Billy Hughes) ever (Monash's police strike) been (Defending the National Tuckshop) democratic (Lang) before (Whitlam)?

Tim James
bbd9c07a-a792-4178-a953-4e357836f1fb-Tim_James_Sept_15_2021.jpg

ALABAMA GOVERNOR TIM JAMES (REFORMER) (2003-2007)

[VIDEO TRANSCRIPT IS AS FOLLOWS.]

Ryker here. Let's just... go. Let's get started.

By 2004, American conservatism- now consolidated under the banner of a single united party- was in a state of crisis. Rosalynn Carter had overseen eight years of post-Cold War peace and an economic boom and was lauded as the second coming of FDR. Congressional Democrats, led by everyone's favorite alcoholic Virginian, had capitalized on the outing of Harris Wofford to push forward the cause of queer rights, with both Adams v. State of Massachusetts and the Baldwin-Achtenberg Act receiving general public acceptance. Southern liberals had controlled the presidency for twelve years despite their home region's general conservatism. And now the Rockies were overseeing the rollout of the fledgling internet across the nation and sparking no small amount of social upheaval amidst the religious right's fears of what that sort of unfettered access to information might do. Something had to give.

My parents both worked on the Wisconsin arm of the Bumpers campaign, and they confirmed that Reformers across the country were sure 2000 would be their year despite their shambolic performance in 1996 (which they attributed to "growing pains" and Donald Rumsfeld's public rejection of their attempt to draft him). Thanks to his experience helping the Rockefeller-Clinton alliance destabilize Faubus's rule in Arkansas and association with the ever-popular Carter, Vice-President Dale Bumpers had been pressured into running for a presidential term of his own; this was despite his being seventy-five at the time, and his choice of running mate did geographically balance the ticket but raised further concerns about his age. The Reformers, on the other hand, had bounced back under the young corporate-backed New Mexico Governor Jeffrey Bezos, who was very much the "anti-Bumpers" as far as the public was concerned. If anyone could flip the Rockies and South at once and carve out a new party system, it'd be him, and yet it turned out Bezos was too hell-bent on kowtowing to his donors to bother trying to appeal to the base. Bumpers' selection of Dottie Lamm, on the other hand, threw a much-needed bone to the Rockies and brought Ted Kennedy out of retirement long enough to make sure KBS stood staunchly behind Bumpers. The only thing the Reformers ended up being right about was that, come November, it wasn't close.

Bumpers was left with as many problems as Nader on his plate as the twenty-first century began and the problems that had been swept under the rug during the Carter administration slowly started to creep back out. Woonsocket remained a radioactive pit and cancer rates were still rising across southern New England. Enforcement of queer rights might've been largely popular, but there was still a very vocal minority that remained violently opposed to us. The Waterkeeper Battalion might've been put down almost a decade ago, but in Dannemeyer's California political radicalization was the rule of the day, and bigots from across the country were getting combat experience as "volunteers" in the South African Civil War. Though, to be fair, a lot of African-Americans also went to South Africa to fight for freedom around the same time- I'm sure we've all seen the iconic photo of Fred Hampton's volunteer militia in front of what was left of the Albert Hertzog Tower. In the American South, the increasingly rusty party machines in Texas and Louisiana had done their job in the nineties, in that they'd kept both states as staunchly Democratic as New York or Idaho despite their conservatism, but the "Reformer Revolution" of 2002 brought them both crashing down as Reformer trifectas took control of both states. Other Southern states, such as Carter's Georgia and Bumpers' Arkansas, also came under the control of Reformer trifectas- even North Carolina wasn't safe, as the political influence of the Research Triangle wouldn't fully manifest until the late 2010s. The only exceptions were Virginia, where Dick Cheney had already quietly refined and perfected the "Howell machine" back when he was governor, and West Virginia, where Charlotte Pritt and Jay Rockefeller's efforts kept the state staunchly yellow. Alabama, unfortunately, wasn't an exception to the rule like the Virginias were, and the previously-obscure businessman Tim James swept into the governor's office and immediately set the state legislature searching for and exploiting loopholes in Baldwin-Achtenberg.

Bumpers was left effectively powerless and reduced to governing via executive order for the next two years as the Reformers, particularly in the South, committed themselves to rolling back the progress of the Carter administration and letting perpetrators of hate crimes and Baldwin-Achtenberg violations get away with a slap on the wrist. Tim James wasn't the only governor actively enabling these, then calling in riot police against protestors and filling the streets with tear gas, but he certainly established himself as the leader thereof. Panicking and searching for a way to salvage the "good times" of the nineties, Bumpers made a snap decision he hoped would help his chances of beating the twelve-year itch and reclaiming Congress as well.

During the last few years of the Carter presidency, before it was clear Dale Bumpers would be running to succeed her, the favorite for the nomination was the popular Attorney General Mazie Hirono, who'd been appointed in Carter's second term following her widely-praised handling of the trial of the Gaithersburg Seven. Only problem was that she'd been born in Japan, so Congressional Democrats moved to ram through the "Hirono Amendment" to remove the natural-born citizen requirement for the presidency to clear a path for her. The constitutional amendment didn't pass until 2002, and when it did it was arguably another reason for the Reformer Revolution, but it was enough that Bumpers was able to drop Lamm from the ticket heading into 2004 and announced that Hirono- whom he'd retained as Attorney General- would be his new running mate.

Bumpers' plan worked. His polling started recovering, young voters were suddenly much more enthusiastic about voting Democratic, and feminists concerned about Lamm's retirement were mollified by her planned replacement with another woman. Tim James decided this was not acceptable. Amidst the Second Lavender Scare sweeping the South and Middle America susceptible to nonsensical fearmongering about black volunteers heading to South Africa being radicalized and taking out their anger on whites upon coming home, James sought to capitalize on this to seize the presidential nomination, hoping his status as a comparative political outsider would help him in a nation getting increasingly tired of machine politics.

There were enough moderate Reformers, largely former Hammond Republicans, who saw James as the second coming of Bob Smith to coalesce around an alternative: Kentucky Senator Elaine Chao, who was ironically only able to run for president thanks to the Hirono Amendment. The hope was that Chao would be able to mitigate the perceived "revolutionary" factor of Hirono's selection as running mate while simultaneously promoting a more quietly socially-conservative message that would still aim for the same end goals. As all focus turned to what was played up as a battle between James and Chao for the soul of their party, James's supporters amped up racist attacks on Chao, painting her and Hirono as two sides of the same coin and... yeah, okay, actually, I'm not repeating the exact things they said. If you're that desperate to hear a bunch of sad white guys saying racist shit, just look up old news footage or something. The important part was James's response to this, which was to all but embrace these racist talking points rather than condemning them as most of the nation expected he would. That played well with former NHP members, and he won the California primary by his largest margins outside the South, but moderates outright walked out when he announced Janet Huckabee as his running mate at the RNC, backing an independent run spearheaded by Fred Upton and threatening to splinter the Reformer Party less than a decade after its creation. If only it'd been that easy.

There were a lot of fears that Upton would deadlock the electoral college, and my understanding is that at least some electors had plans to throw their votes to him if James did win a majority. Turned out relying on racist campaign tactics only hurt him on the national stage, though, and Bumpers managed to toe the line to pull Middle America and hawks from both parties behind him with the vague promise of doing something about South Africa in his second term if he was reelected. And so the "most reluctant president" shocked the nation by winning a second term amidst expectations that the twelve-year itch would surely cost him victory.

James claimed the election was rigged and started rallying his supporters to protest on the National Mall during the certification of the electoral votes. Unfortunately, his motorcade got held up in traffic, so when the Afrikaner Weerstandsbeweging crashed Flight 559 into the rotunda of the Capitol during the certification of the electoral votes he was still on the other side of the Potomac. Those of his supporters who'd already assembled around the building to start protesting weren't quite the karma Houdini he was.

You know the rest. Regardless of whether you believe Bumpers really did die of a stress-induced heart attack in the PEOC, the end result was the same: the president was dead, and with Vice-President Lamm, Speaker Henry McMaster, and President Pro Tempore Robert Byrd among those killed in the Capitol crash, the presidency passed to the Secretary of State. Tim James wasn't the only person to launch into a hysterical televised rant after Harry Reid took the oath of office, but he didn't even wait for Reid to clarify that he didn't intend to hold the presidency past January 20th before he started calling for violent resistance against what he claimed to be a false flag self-coup.

It's funny. Most of my earliest memories that I actually understood are of the national chaos of 2005. But... nowhere in those memories does Tim James show up. I remember seeing news of the American deployment into South Africa, news of the weird limbo state the executive branch was in until Hirono got confirmed as president, news of the shootings and... but nothing about James. Once I realized that, I ended up spending the better part of three hours searching up videos from the time, watching him relentlessly swap between cowering from the movement he'd helped enable and promoting stochastic terrorism, condemnations pouring in from everyone from Rodney E. Slater to Thomas Ridge to Sean Penn until Alabama Reformers finally mustered the balls to deny him renomination in 2006.

James's final act of cowardice on American soil was to flee the country, joining folks such as Ted Turner and Roy Moore in seeking "refuge" in Australia, where Rupert Murdoch graciously welcomed them to his little slice of hell on Earth and refused to extradite them to the United States. Last I checked, Tim James is still living in exile, screaming about "American tyranny" on the state news networks every chance he gets. It isn't the fate I'd say he deserves, but it's pathetic enough to be a close second.

[MOMENTARY PAUSE, THEN A SIGH.]

I didn't... like I said, this...

I did warn you at the start. This got a little... ranty, and off-topic. But I don't think I have the energy to care about it right now. Just... out of everyone on this list, Tim James actively did the most to try to destroy this country. DiPrete might've affected it for the worst overall, sure, but-

No. I should end this before I make myself angry and end up ranting for another twenty minutes. Final video's coming as soon as I can get myself to record it. Ryker out.

[END OF TRANSCRIPT.]

TOP COMMENTS ON "Profiles in Cowardice | Episode 7: Fear and Loathing in Alabama" BY USER "Ryker D."

Shahana K., one day ago
James's success was also partially due to Reformer fears that America was turning into a Democratic dominant-party state. I know that sounds laughable nowadays (see: the entirety of Christie's second term), but in the late 1990s and early 2000s, it looked very plausible. There's a reason almost every near-future sci-fi movie from the time had a throwaway line referencing "President Hirono" or "President Lamm" or "President Cheney" or "President Dorgan"- or even "President Kennedy," if they wanted to be unique. (And only one of those didn't age like milk!)
[20 likes] [0 dislikes] [3 comments]

Tuan M., three days ago
Why do Americans like Dick Cheney so much? In Sri Lanka, he seems like the type of person we would've arrested the moment he walked into Parliament. (Apologies for my bad English.)
[19 likes] [0 dislikes] [2 comment]
Lyle S., three days ago, in response to Tuan M.
Your English is perfect, dude, don't worry about it. Anyway, it's not that Americans like him so much as Democrats do, and that's because their logic is "yes, he's a scumbag, but he's our scumbag and he gets results." There's also that he was phenomenal at pissing off the Republicans/Reformers, which is always a plus.​
[22 likes] [1 dislike] [0 comments]
Richard M., two days ago, in response to Tuan M.
"In Sri Lanka, he seems like the type of person we would've arrested the moment he walked into Parliament"​
Note to self: move to Sri Lanka ASAP.​
[8 likes] [0 dislikes] [1 comment]
Tuan M., today, in response to Richard M.
Please do not.​
[24 likes] [1 dislike] [0 comments]

Ollie H., one day ago
I think you have childhood trauma, Ryker. Please consider therapy :-D
[10 likes] [1 dislike] [2 comments]
Jamie L., today, in response to Ollie H.
i think youre a dickhead, ollie. please consider not armchair diagnosing people just because they don't talk about their mental health in excruciating detail online :-D​
[19 likes] [1 dislike] [1 comment]

Lyle S., three days ago
Hey, I guessed this one right! You did go off-topic a bunch, but there was so much happening in the 2000s I don't think you'd really be able to talk about James without talking about the era he was a product of. Given that the only time period you've got left to cover here is the 2010s and early 2020s, I'm guessing the final "coward" will be either Pence, Montandon, or one of the Beshears.
[26 likes] [1 dislike] [3 comments]

Gregoire I., one day ago
I've heard it mentioned several times throughout these videos and I'm still confused: what exactly are the Rockies? I thought they were just a mountain range, but the way they're being referred to here, it doesn't sound like it...
[10 likes] [0 dislikes] [2 comments]
Hannah U., today, in response to Gregoire I.
Your profile says you're from Rwanda, so... think of it like a bigger version of the Silicon Circle, I guess? "Rocky Mountains" generally gets used to refer to the mountain range as a whole, while "Rockies" is used for the Boise-to-Denver tech center-corridor-thingy specifically.​
[22 likes] [0 dislikes] [1 comment]
Gregoire I., today, in response to Hannah U.
That sounds unnecessarily confusing.​
[19 likes] [1 dislike] [3 comments]
Hannah U., today, in response to Gregoire I.
We're aware. We don't like it either.​
[18 likes] [0 dislikes] [1 comment]
Jamie L., today, in response to Hannah U.
speak for yourself. i personally revel in the chaos & confusion​
[30 likes] [1 dislike] [5 comments]

Kaden P., one day ago
I think you mispronounced the full name of the AWB?
[15 likes] [0 dislikes] [1 comment]
Ryker D., one day ago, in response to Kaden P.
I know. I did that on purpose because I hate them. Hope that helps.​
[20 likes] [0 dislikes] [2 comments]
Martin C., today, in response to Ryker D.
As opposed to the time you accidentally pronounced "et al" like the name of the Bug Fables character in the Agnew episode?
[44 likes] [1 dislike] [1 comment]
Ryker D., today, in response to Martin C.
I know where you live, Martin.
[12 likes] [0 dislikes] [1 comment]
Martin C., today, in response to Ryker D.
Yeah? So do I. You aren't special.
[31 likes] [0 dislikes] [0 comments]

Mark Warner
Mark_Warner_%282797496300%29.jpg

SPEAKER OF THE HOUSE MARK WARNER (DEMOCRATIC) (2021-2023)

[VIDEO TRANSCRIPT IS AS FOLLOWS.]

Ryker here. I've got a doctor's appointment I forgot about scheduled a few hours from now, so I'm gonna have to record and upload this quickly.

I'll be honest, I had to debate whether I was going to use Mark Warner or Mike Pence for the final entry in this series. I almost did settle on Pence. But my choice ultimately came down to the simple question of which of them did more damage, and the answer was obvious: Pence is just one more out-of-touch de facto Reformer who's probably losing reelection next year, while Warner's two years as Speaker saw him block more movement towards genuine progress than one paltry senator could ever manage.

The thing that baffles me about Warner is that I don't understand how we got here... but then again, I was thinking the same thing in early 2016. See, the question was still "where do we go after this?" nine years before that, when Hirono removed the last troops from South Africa and left Madikizela-Mandela in charge, but the answer seemed obvious, you know? 2008 was supposed to be a second 1992- the idea that Hirono would coast to reelection seemed so obvious it wasn't even worth questioning. Then Elaine Chao returned with a vengeance, determined to make the country start questioning it, and she had her newfound public image as bravely battling racist assaults (never mind that they'd come from inside the house) and being a weathered survivor of the destruction of the Capitol to bolster her. She did make people question it, in the end, enough to pull off the upset of the century, but nothing more.

If the watchwords of the Bumpers-Reid-Hirono years were "unexpected chaos," then those of Chao's two terms were "disappointed stagnation." Anyone else who grew up in the early 2010s probably remembers the feeling of weary malaise. I was surrounded by it for most of my childhood. Contrary to what the new president seemed to think, invading Colombia, treating Australia with kid gloves, and deregulating everything in sight didn't help, and yet there was enough of the pretense of something being done that Conlin couldn't stop her. Chao had presented herself as a new kind of politician in 2008, a bold reformer both lowercase and uppercase R who'd lead America into a great new era, but that fell flat within her first hundred days. Once more, the question was "where do we go after this?", but this time the question was wary rather than rhetorical; 2014's Yellow Wave aside, it wasn't clear where the Democratic Party would go next, and the Reformers didn't seem to know how they'd move forward either.

That was the thing about 2016. Change was everywhere, and it looked like positive change for the first time in years. Chao finished pulling out of Colombia, the Polish-Ukrainian coalition finally left Romania, the Philippines nigh-unanimously sent the Marcos family packing when they tried to start a civil war- good on you guys, by the way, you made sure we started the year off right. Speaking of, it was the beginning of several good years for global democracy, too- in Peru, Korea, South Africa, Egypt, Iran, Pakistan- especially Pakistan; honestly, the sheer amount of change Naqvi's managed in the past few years is genuinely impressive. Anyway, we were pretty hopeful we'd be able to replicate that in the United States, you know? Not that democracy really suffered under Chao, but it didn't exactly improve, either.

Now, we did get the change we wanted, or at least we did at first. Democrats were floundering and directionless, searching for a new leader, and they got one in the form of everyone's favorite elderly progressive senator from Vermont: Kevin "Coach" Christie. He was the perfect compromise- radical enough for those who'd supported Bobby Rush in 2012, but not too radical for Slater or Conlin supporters- and come November he crushed Montandon. Ed Markey being there as Speaker to back him up just lulled us even further into our false sense of security.

I'm not saying Christie didn't do good in his first term, because he did. He did ridiculously well. We got the repeal of Chaoconomics, a planned obsolescence ban, real movement towards getting the penal exemption clause out of the Thirteenth Amendment, and the Protecting Our Children Act, which is probably the only bill with a name like that to actually protect children. And things were good on the culture front, too, even if Christie and Markey didn't have anything to do with literally every video game that's any good coming out during those four years or the Botswanan Invasion. (Speaking of, I'm begging you, please don't go through my Sempervirens' archive to 2018. College Ryker was an embarrassingly enthusiastic fan of the "Gaboronepunk" aesthetic.) It could've kept on going past 2020 if Markey hadn't had that fall and decided to step down as Speaker... or even if Warner resigned himself to being a benchwarmer. But no, his ambition got the better of him, and for some godforsaken reason enough of the rest of the party thought a more conservative successor to Markey would keep Middle America behind Christie and caved. So 2020 ended up being America's last real year of peace and progress.

For those of you who don't know, because it was pretty short-lived: Mark Warner briefly ran for president back in 2016, he just failed to wow the base due to being Mark Warner and dropped out pretty fast. He didn't even outlast Philip Perry, so you know he did poorly. He did, however, come to the attention of Steve Beshear because he got along well with Andy Beshear during the debates, so after Andy died I guess Steve decided Warner was his new son now. I've harped on this before, so I'll keep it short: Steve Beshear is like the Democratic Gerald Ford, in that he always wanted to be Speaker of the House but was too busy being stuck as House Minority Leader to ever get there, consigned to being forever better-known for the presidential commission he was assigned to lead as a mere representative. I guess he decided it was now Warner's job to fulfill the ambitions he and his son never got to realize, and unfortunately, Ed Markey was the only roadblock. So Christie secured his second term... but with Speaker Warner instead. Biggest wasted opportunity of the century if you ask me.

You know how there was that joke about how Hirono was so busy stopping the world from blowing up that she never got the chance to do anything at home? Well, Christie's been so busy stopping Warner from blowing up the party that he hasn't accomplished anything at home or abroad since 2020. And because Warner's been so busy watering down everything Christie promised for his second term, the midterms were a wash and the 29th Amendment's still stuck waiting to be confirmed as private prison states worsen conditions out of spite. Only notable move for progress we've gotten out of the past two years was thanks to the Supreme Court- Wilkes v. California- and all that did was get progressives thanking their lucky stars the decision was handed down in December rather than November.

I won't pretend the situation is hopeless long-term. This isn't Australia or something- we actually have a chance of winning, especially with the wave of new, young anticapitalist members of Congress we've gotten from 2014 on, and giving up is exactly what the Reformers want from us. But short-term? Christie's second term was supposed to be more of the same, but thanks to Warner, he's been reduced to the second coming of Dale Bumpers instead. Maybe there's cause to be optimistic about 2028... but that doesn't change the fact that 2024's looking grim regardless of whether the Democrats nominate Pocan or someone else. Jeb Beasley, Sean Reyes, Carlos Beruff, some other Reformer who hasn't decided to run for president yet- don't kid yourself. They're all cut from the same cloth. And no matter how good things might be able to get long-term, it doesn't change the suffering that'll happen short-term. Suffering that could've been averted if Warner knew how to shut up and play ball. And just like in 2007 and 2016, the question is once more "where do we go after this?"- except now, it's more plaintive and bleak than anything else.

I hope Steve Beshear's proud his replacement son got to be Speaker for a grand total of two years. He's probably the only person in the country who is. In the meantime, Shaye Anderson's got some promising stuff going on up north, so I'll be making preparations to head to Canada and overstay my visa just in case.

That's all for this series. Ryker out.

[END OF TRANSCRIPT.]

TOP COMMENTS ON "Profiles in Cowardice | Episode 8: Warning Signs" BY USER "Ryker D."

Lyle S., two days ago
Well, I was close to being right! I think you're reading too much into Beshear and Warner's friendship, though- they just agreed on wanting to stop Christie from pulling the country further left.
[19 likes] [0 dislikes] [3 comments]
Ryker D., two days ago, in response to Lyle S.
The "why" doesn't change the end results.​
[10 likes] [1 dislike] [2 comments]

Hannah U., three days ago
So you just gave up on trying not to ramble, huh?
[16 likes] [0 dislikes] [1 comment]
Ryker D., two days ago, in response to Hannah U.
I just wanted to be done with this already.​
[14 likes] [0 dislikes] [0 comments]

Scotti B., today
"...or even if Warner resigned himself to being a benchwarmer."

I can't believe you didn't take the opportunity to make a "bench-Warner" pun there. Unsubscribed (joking).
[39 likes] [1 dislike] [7 comments]

Callum L., one day ago
Seems you only picked Warner because he's a centrist who had a different idea of where to take the nation...
[11 likes] [1 dislike] [1 comment]
Ryker D., one day ago, in response to Callum L.
Controversial opinion, maybe, but centrism is basically just conservatism for cowards anyway.​
[21 likes] [9 dislikes] [15 comments]

Fritz R., one day ago
You're being overdramatic. Nothing bad's going to happen in 2024.
[15 likes] [4 dislikes] [16 comments]

Troy W., three days ago
I'm not American. What commission did Steve Beshear oversee?
[2 likes] [0 dislikes] [4 comments]
Vanessa E., today, in response to Troy W.
Carter established the Beshear Commission in the late nineties to investigate economic segregation that was de facto racial segregation. It found nothing of use in the end, probably because a guy from the South got appointed to head it.​
[19 likes] [1 dislike] [7 comments]

Pierre B., one day ago
Why's everyone acting like Pocan's going to be coronated as the Democrats' nominee in 2024? Even disregarding that complacency's not a good look on them given how the past two years have gone, Janet Protasiewicz has been doing a lot of signaling that she's planning a presidential run of her own.
[9 likes] [1 dislike] [1 comment]
Miriam G., today, in response to Pierre B.
Yeah, main problem with that is nobody knowing who she is. Nobody ever knows who the Attorney General is unless there's a scandal relating to them or you're a politics nerd.​
[18 likes] [2 dislikes] [5 comments]
Rose S., today, in response to Miriam G.
I think Tim Wu's odds are good!​
[13 likes] [0 dislikes] [1 comment]
Miriam G., today, in response to Rose S.
Reread what I just typed, but change the pronouns and replace "Attorney General" with "Treasury Secretary."​
[15 likes] [0 dislikes] [0 comments]

Ian L., two days ago
So you're just completely ignoring the effects of Christie appointing Mary Cheney as Secretary of State? It got all sorts of veiled accusations of Dick Cheney being his secret spooky puppet master, brought back queerphobic dogwhistles as a conservative campaign tactic (even if they backfired in 2018 and 2020), even was the reason that guy with a homemade gun cited for trying to assassinate Christie. You're acting like Christie's first term was perfect and squeaky clean and things only went wrong thanks to Warner.
[9 likes] [3 dislikes] [7 comments]
Timothy T., one day ago, in response to Ian L.
I mean, being part of the Cheney family was more the reason for it than her being gay. I get where you're coming from, but the homophobic backlash was A) more minor than you're making it sound and B) didn't happen because of Christie or Mary Cheney, it happened because Dick Cheney was a manipulative alcoholic made of Teflon who got Carter basically everything she wanted.​
[19 likes] [1 dislike] [2 comments]
Parker C., today, in response to Timothy T.
Don't undersell Carter's political canniness. She was just as much a creature of D.C. as Cheney and just as good at shoving Congress in the right direction. I've seen some people claiming Dick Cheney was the Lyndon Johnson of the nineties, but I'd argue he should share that role with Carter.​
[11 likes] [0 dislikes] [1 comment]
Oliphant V., today, in response to Parker C.
Don't undersell Mary Cheney's canniness, either. We're talking about the woman who leveraged the circumstances of her getting sacked as SoS and brought back the Howell-Cheney machine to win Virginia's Senate special election in a Reformer wave year. I'd argue she's the best student of her father's tactics in the whole party.​
[17 likes] [0 dislikes] [0 comments]

And with that, the main act is over! There'll be a few supplementary posts to tie up loose ends today and tomorrow, and then I'll be figuring out what project I want to move on to next.

It's weird that what I was looking forward to in this series shifted from "Oh hey, a TLIAW!" to "Man, these are some real shitty political decisions being made' to 'Is Ryker going to die before the end of the story?'

Great stuff on all accounts! I'm looking forward to the supplemental stuff when it comes out!

Appendix A: The Logic Behind Each Episode
Here's a table to explain the subjects of each episode both from my perspective out-of-universe and from Ryker's perspective in-universe. The concepts behind the first five entries were all the product of singular questions I'd pondered before, but didn't initially intend to put together as part of one TL; obviously, some of them evolved past the initial idea rather more than the others.

PERSONMY INITIAL QUESTIONRYKER'S STATED REASON FOR CHOOSING THEMRYKER'S SUBCONSCIOUS REASON FOR CHOOSING THEM
Robert F. Kennedy"What if RFK had a Chappaquiddick equivalent?"Likely leaving his brother to die in Anchorage and the resultant political effectsBought a little too much into JFK nostalgia when they were younger and hasn't completely unlearned it yet despite their best efforts
George Wallace"What if George Wallace was a boring Dixiecrat backbencher?"Turning into a segregationist hardliner for political gainWas much more of an opportunist as a kid and fears they could've gone down a similar path under different circumstances
Spiro Agnew"What could Spiro Agnew's career have looked like if he never became VP?"Turning into an archconservative in pursuit of the presidencyAs above, but also due to fearing how close he came to stopping UHC from passing
Edward DiPrete"What if America had a Chernobyl equivalent?"Joining forces with Cianci and causing WoonsocketPanicked when Lyle S. correctly guessed the subjects of two of their future entries and changed it from being about Buddy Cianci
Dianne Feinstein"What if California went down a similar path to OTL 2010s Wisconsin?"Mishandling Pasadena and resigningSees her as responsible for the Dannemeyer governorship and the ensuing years of hard-right rule of California
Bob DornanN/AGeneral cruelty and playing a major role in creating the Reformer PartyAt this point, Ryker starts losing motivation/interest in finishing PiC and turns it into an opportunity to vent their frustration with politicians they hate in hopes that spite will give them enough momentum to finish the project
Tim JamesN/AEmbracing racist attacks on his opponent in pursuit of the presidencyAs above, also blames him for setting off the national chaos of 2005
Mark WarnerN/A"Sabotaging" Kevin Christie's second termAs above the above, but also their stated reason

It's weird that what I was looking forward to in this series shifted from "Oh hey, a TLIAW!" to "Man, these are some real shitty political decisions being made' to 'Is Ryker going to die before the end of the story?'

Great stuff on all accounts! I'm looking forward to the supplemental stuff when it comes out!
That's the reactions I was hoping for, except you were only supposed to be concerned about Ryker's mental state as opposed to thinking they'd die. I don't know if I made it too obvious, but Ryker's mental health isn't the best and they haven't really worked out good coping mechanisms for it, which I tried to hint at further via the comments (see: soliciting violence against the woman who owns the website they established themself on to her adopted son's face). Ryker went into Profiles in Cowardice hoping it'd be a fun little side project, but they just made themself more depressed as they pored over the worst aspects of recent American history and ended up losing their enthusiasm for the project in the last few episodes.

Appendix B: List of Presidents/Vice-Presidents and Defeated Tickets (1961-2023)
35. Senator (D-MA) John F. Kennedy/Senator (R-KY) Thruston Morton (Democratic/Republican) (1961-1964) *
1960 c: Vice-President Richard Nixon/Senator (R-KY) Thruston Morton (Republican), Senator (D-MA) John F. Kennedy/Senator (D-MO) Stuart Symington (Democratic)
36. Vice-President Thruston Morton/VACANT, then President Thruston Morton/Frmr. Secretary of the Interior Fred Seaton (Republican) (1964-1969)
1964 def: Senate Majority Leader Lyndon B. Johnson/Senator (D-MN) Hubert Humphrey (Democratic), Governor of Arkansas Orval Faubus/Frmr. Governor of Alabama John M. Patterson (National Heritage)
37. Governor of Arizona Stewart Udall/Senator (D-TX) Ralph Yarborough (Democratic) (1969-1977)
1968 def: Vice-President Fred Seaton/Governor of Alaska Wally Hickel (Republican), Governor of Arkansas Orval Faubus/Representative (NH-LA) John Rarick (National Heritage)
1972 def: Senator (R-AZ) Barry Goldwater/Senator (R-OK) Dewey F. Bartlett (Republican)
38. Vice-President Ralph Yarborough/Frmr. Attorney General Ramsey Clark (Democratic) (1977-1981)
1976 def: Senator (R-MA) Elliot Richardson/Representative (R-MI) Guy Vander Jagt (Republican), Governor of New Hampshire Meldrim Thomson, Jr./Frmr. Governor of Indiana Earl Butz (Independent (National Heritage-endorsed))
39. Governor of Alaska Jay Hammond/Representative (R-IL) Donald Rumsfeld (Republican) (1981-1989)
1980 def: President Ralph Yarborough/Vice-President Ramsey Clark (Democratic)
1984 def: Senator (D-NE) Edward Zorinsky/Governor of Connecticut John T. Downey (Democratic)
40. Secretary of Defense Peter MacDonald/Senator (R-CT) Ralph Nader (Republican) (1989-1990) **
1988 def: Frmr. Secretary of State Daniel Inouye/Frmr. Governor of Virginia Chuck Robb (Democratic)
41. Vice-President Ralph Nader/VACANT, then President Ralph Nader/Governor of Arizona Sandra Day O'Connor (Republican) (1990-1993)
42. Senate Majority Leader Rosalynn Carter/Senator (D-AR) Dale Bumpers (Democratic) (1993-2001)

1992 def: Frmr. Representative (R-NH) Bob Smith/Governor of Texas Ray Hutchison (Republican)
1996 def: Senator (R-VA) Oliver North/Representative (R-OK) Don Nickles (Reformer)
43. Vice-President Dale Bumpers/Senator (D-CO) Dottie Lamm (Democratic) (2001-2005) *
2000 def: Governor of New Mexico Jeffrey Bezos/Senator (R-MT) Rick Jore (Reformer)
2004 def (w/ Attorney General Mazie Hirono): Governor of Alabama Tim James/Senator (R-AR) Janet Huckabee (Reformer), Representative (R-MI) Fred Upton/Governor of Illinois Mark Kirk (Independent)
44. Secretary of State Harry Reid/VACANT (Democratic) (2005)
45. Attorney General Mazie Hirono/VACANT, then President Mazie Hirono/Frmr. President Harry Reid (Democratic) (2005-2009)

46. Senator (R-KY) Elaine Chao/Representative (R-NV) Mike Montandon (Reformer) (2009-2017)

2008 def: President Mazie Hirono/Governor of North Dakota Ed Schultz (Democratic)
2012 def: Senator (D-IA) Roxanne Conlin/Senator (D-NJ) Nydia Velazquez (Democratic)
47. Senator (D-VT) Kevin Christie/Governor of West Virginia Carte Goodwin (Democratic) (2017- )
2016 def: Vice-President Mike Montandon/Senator (R-IA) Brenna Bird (Reformer)
2020 def: Senator (R-NH) Corey Lewandowski/Governor of Mississippi Chad Wolf (Reformer)

* Died in office
** Resigned

PrezZF

Banned
Here's a table to explain the subjects of each episode both from my perspective out-of-universe and from Ryker's perspective in-universe. The concepts behind the first five entries were all the product of singular questions I'd pondered before, but didn't initially intend to put together as part of one TL; obviously, some of them evolved past the initial idea rather more than the others.

PERSONMY INITIAL QUESTIONRYKER'S STATED REASON FOR CHOOSING THEMRYKER'S SUBCONSCIOUS REASON FOR CHOOSING THEM
Robert F. Kennedy"What if RFK had a Chappaquiddick equivalent?"Likely leaving his brother to die in Anchorage and the resultant political effectsBought a little too much into JFK nostalgia when they were younger and hasn't completely unlearned it yet despite their best efforts
George Wallace"What if George Wallace was a boring Dixiecrat backbencher?"Turning into a segregationist hardliner for political gainWas much more of an opportunist as a kid and fears they could've gone down a similar path under different circumstances
Spiro Agnew"What could Spiro Agnew's career have looked like if he never became VP?"Turning into an archconservative in pursuit of the presidencyAs above, but also due to fearing how close he came to stopping UHC from passing
Edward DiPrete"What if America had a Chernobyl equivalent?"Joining forces with Cianci and causing WoonsocketPanicked when Lyle S. correctly guessed the subjects of two of their future entries and changed it from being about Buddy Cianci
Dianne Feinstein"What if California went down a similar path to OTL 2010s Wisconsin?"Mishandling Pasadena and resigningSees her as responsible for the Dannemeyer governorship and the ensuing years of hard-right rule of California
Bob DornanN/AGeneral cruelty and playing a major role in creating the Reformer PartyAt this point, Ryker starts losing motivation/interest in finishing PiC and turns it into an opportunity to vent their frustration with politicians they hate in hopes that spite will give them enough momentum to finish the project
Tim JamesN/AEmbracing racist attacks on his opponent in pursuit of the presidencyAs above, also blames him for setting off the national chaos of 2005
Mark WarnerN/A"Sabotaging" Kevin Christie's second termAs above the above, but also their stated reason
What is the POD for this BTW? I'm Interested in what party and where notable OTL Politicians end up ITTL...and perhaps a full list of presidents and VP's, and the different defeated tickets after the POD. I love how real this sounds, and wonder what this world is like...

That's the reactions I was hoping for, except you were only supposed to be concerned about Ryker's mental state as opposed to thinking they'd die. I don't know if I made it too obvious, but Ryker's mental health isn't the best and they haven't really worked out good coping mechanisms for it, which I tried to hint at further via the comments (see: soliciting violence against the woman who owns the website they established themself on to her adopted son's face). Ryker went into Profiles in Cowardice hoping it'd be a fun little side project, but they just made themself more depressed as they pored over the worst aspects of recent American history and ended up losing their enthusiasm for the project in the last few episodes.
I figured as much! Part of me was wondering if he was going to do something....a little drastic as he continued. But him checking to see a doctor might be a bit of a positive ending for him then, or at least gives him a bit of a chance to recover from this!

Stretch

Donor
What is the POD for this BTW? I'm Interested in what party and where notable OTL Politicians end up ITTL...and perhaps a full list of presidents and VP's, and the different defeated tickets after the POD. I love how real this sounds, and wonder what this world is like...
I think the POD's the Greensboro Incident having the nukes actually detonate.

1. There doesn't seem to be one particular POD mentioned, though Nixon and Kennedy selecting different vp's appears to be the earliest change.

2. A list of president/vp's/defeated tickets is right above your message.

3. The Goldsboro incident was an actual event during JFK's presidency in which a plane carrying a nuclear bomb crashed in Goldsboro, North Carolina. IOTL, the bomb was not armed and did not detonate. ITTL, it was armed and did detonate.

Last edited:
Appendix D: How are recent U.S. presidents remembered?
John F. Kennedy (D-MA): Looked back on like a downplayed version of his OTL self, though with much more of an emphasis on the "tragedy" angle over "what-could've-been" due to the fact that he'd nearly finished his first term at the time of his death (and it was shaping up to be a bit mediocre), and further-right circles view him in more of an OTL-Nixonesque light due to the Morton Bargain. (Robert F. Kennedy, on the other hand, has a quite weird public perception that can only be described as an unholy amalgam of Ted Kennedy, Lee Harvey Oswald, and H. P. Lovecraft.)

Thruston Morton (R-KY): Remembered as an okay president who did the best he could with the hand he was dealt and properly got the ball rolling on desegregation and civil rights, but nevertheless failed to adequately respond to acts of violence and terror by white supremacists. He's been further criticized for his handling of the war in Cuba more recently.

Stewart Udall (D-AZ): Considered to be the man who brought to fruition all the hopes the public had for JFK and then some, finishing the job on civil rights, lending a helping hand to the working class regardless of race, and getting America out of Vietnam. However, he was also just sort of... there for eight years, not leading much in the way of an "interesting" presidency despite his political accomplishments.

Ralph Yarborough (D-TX): Ran an administration defined more by reaction (frequently just a little too late) rather than taking action and reluctantly waged an ultimately pointless, if thankfully short-lived, lowkey war over the Panama Canal. Most consider his sole saving grace to be the ANHCA.

Jay Hammond (R-AK): A well-meaning, well-loved "outsider" (both politically and geographically) who led the Republicans' comeback after twelve years in the political wilderness, brought about an economic boom, inaugurated the America Permanent Fund, and calmly handled crisis after crisis on the international stage. Combine that with the fact that he was a genuinely nice guy and it's no surprise his presidency is remembered so well; equally unsurprising were the ultimately unsuccessful calls by some Republicans (and even a few "Hammond Democrats") to repeal presidential term limits so he could run again in 1988. Most choose to mentally steer around his inaction on Rhode Island even to the present day and continue to laud him as "the last great conservative."

Peter MacDonald (R-AZ): The first Navajo president had so many high hopes surrounding him, only for him to let them all down as his presidency went down in flames amidst the findings of the Carter Commission being made public and he resigned in disgrace as a wave of reactionary hate crimes against Native Americans began.

Ralph Nader (R-CT): Blundering moron or not, Nader is remembered poorly regardless of party, even among those Democrats who would've identified as "Nader Republicans" in the late eighties. It isn't until more recently that his legacy has been reevaluated, particularly in light of his post-presidency humanitarian efforts.

Rosalynn Carter (D-GA): Beloved across most of the political spectrum for leading the national recovery from the Dismal Duo and playing a major role in leading the world into the post-Cold War era; disabled and queer people especially appreciate her efforts to defend their rights. The Carter presidency has been subject to quite a lot of nostalgia from 2003 onward, and public perception of her time in office has only grown even more- if you'll permit the technical pun- rosy with time.

Dale Bumpers (D-AR): Seen as a man who tried his hardest and met his tragic end during the terrorist attack that defined the twenty-first century for America. His inability to continue the "Carter consensus" and poor response to the Second Lavender Scare has more recently come under scrutiny, but he's still looked back on quite nostalgically, albeit not as much as his predecessor.

Harry Reid (D-NV): A historical footnote mainly remembered for being the answer to trivia questions such as "which president served the least amount of time in office" and "which president was appointed as vice-president months after leaving office."

Mazie Hirono (D-MD): Somewhat of a paradoxical figure who kept the nation united in the aftermath of the attack on the Capitol, led the successful intervention in South Africa, and ensured the Second Lavender Scare withered away; on the other hand, she didn't do much of anything else and oversaw an economic decline. More recently, after moving north post-presidency Hirono was elected mayor of New York City in 2017 and reelected in 2021.

Elaine Chao (R-KY): The first (and, as of 2023, only) Reformer president is remembered as having done her best by her own party, a disappointment to the center, and the architect of almost a decade of national listlessness and decline for Democrats. Her deployment of troops into Colombia to root out drug smugglers and alleged far-left terrorists dragging the nation into a four-year quagmire is remembered even less well and is frequently contrasted against her predecessor's intervention in South Africa.

Kevin Christie (D-VT): America's first black president received fear from his right during his first term and gloating during his second. His rollback of Chao's tax cuts and deregulation amidst a recovery of national morale was treated with relief by the working class and derision by conservatives and his movement against the hot-button issue of private prisons saw immense pushback from Reformers; on the other hand, POCA's national-level ban on child marriage was generally well-received. It's just a question of whether his second term is beyond salvaging... or, failing that, whether Senate Minority Leader Mark Pocan's widely-anticipated bid to succeed him next year will go any better.

Rankings of U.S. presidents since 1961, according to a 2022 survey by the Bayard Rustin Institute, Philadelphia

1. Rosalynn Carter
2. Jay Hammond
3. Stewart Udall
4. Mazie Hirono
5. John F. Kennedy
6. Dale Bumpers
7. Kevin Christie
8. Thruston Morton
9. Harry Reid
10. Elaine Chao
11. Ralph Yarborough
12. Ralph Nader
13. Peter MacDonald

Appendix C: Lists of Congressional Majority Leaders
Realized I forgot to post this yesterday.

SPEAKERS OF THE HOUSE
Sam Rayburn (D-TX) (1957-1961)

John W. McCormack (D-MA) (1962-1971)
Carl Albert (D-OK) (1971-1979)

Hale Boggs (D-LA) (1979-1983)
Bob Michel (R-IL) (1983-1987)
Hale Boggs (D-LA) (1987-1989)

Dick Gephardt (D-MO) (1989-1995)
Dick Cheney (D-VA) (1995-2003)
Henry McMaster (R-SC) (2003-2005)
Thomas Ridge (R-PA) (2005-2007)

Byron Dorgan (D-ND) (2007-2009)