Time Travel and It's Contribution to World War 2

As anyone who pays attention to temporal affairs knows, the Axis was clearly supposed to win World War 2.

Why, if not for the almost constant influx of travelers from the future offering direct, or covert, aid to the Allies Europe would forever be dominated by Fascism. Or at least that's the only logical conclusion.

Curiously, the time travelers always seem to help America/Britain. And almost always in the fight against Germany, but rarely involving themselves with the battle against other Axis nations.

Amusingly, even aliens who only outwardly appear human seem to feel the need to help the Allies. Even if they'd never heard of Earth before.

And yet we don't see very many time travelers helping the Soviets. (I actually can't recall any pro-Soviet travels.)

Even the Axis gets the occasional bone thrown it's way by those intent on restoring the timeline to it's natural state.

Clearly we need to put a stop to these travels lest there be nothing left of the Axis nations but scorched earth. Or perhaps we should even be so bold as to correct the timeline and give the Axis back their hard fought victory?

-------------------

Goofy ass intro aside. I just felt like tossing out a little discussion on how often sci-fi setting love to throw the "Oh my god! We're in WW2! Let's fight some Nazis!" trope at people.

Do the members of this forum think it's still fun? Have they gotten sick of it? Are they filled with bile and forced to unleash disgusted moans as yet another fictional society does this?

Taking the trope at face value, it's like the Allies never had a chance without these time travelers.

There's also room for people to bring up their favorite attempts to pull this trope off and not be groan inducing.

Room for people to tell me if there's ever been a setting where the time traveler's help the Soviets.

Any setting that have people try to help the Axis. Bonus points if they help Italy or Japan, since they only seem to care about Germany.

-------------------------------

The most recent instance, albeit pro-Germany, was for anyone who watches Justice League.

Dude sends back in time information and technology to his past self (helped by the fact he's immortal) and Germany has intercontinental bombers I think loaded with nukes. Giant crazy monowheel death tank things. Other advanced doomsday weapons. They conquer the world.

By complete and total fluke, a few heroes aren't affected. Heroes gotta go back and kick the ass of this immortal's past self to set right what went wrong.

Only problem is, they literally just destroy a few monowheels. Stop the attempted nuking of America. Temporarily remove immortal from play.

Then they immediately go home. And somehow, despite Germany still having all these crazy doomsday weapons that utterly dominate anything the Allies can throw at them . . . When the heroes return to the present history is "back to normal."

What? Seriously? I'd love to have gotten an explanation for that half assed attempt to save the past.

Last edited:

Grey Wolf

Donor
I'm more familiar with people going back in time to try to help the Nazis win, and other people having to stop them...

There was that story arc in Battlestar Galactica 1980, IIRC, and something with a F117 Nighthawk that sits in the deeper recesses of my mind...

Best Regards
Grey Wolf

The most recent instance, albeit pro-Germany, was for anyone who watches Justice League.

Dude sends back in time information and technology to his past self (helped by the fact he's immortal) and Germany has intercontinental bombers I think loaded with nukes. Giant crazy monowheel death tank things. Other advanced doomsday weapons. They conquer the world.

By complete and total fluke, a few heroes aren't affected. Heroes gotta go back and kick the ass of this immortal's past self to set right what went wrong.

Only problem is, they literally just destroy a few monowheels. Stop the attempted nuking of America. Temporarily remove immortal from play.

Then they immediately go home. And somehow, despite Germany still having all these crazy doomsday weapons that utterly dominate anything the Allies can throw at them . . . When the heroes return to the present history is "back to normal."

What? Seriously? I'd love to have gotten an explanation for that half assed attempt to save the past.

Last I checked (or watched, rather), the Germans were using those inter-continental planes to INVADE (and possibly nuke, though it was never mentioned explicitly) America with tons of Landsers, Tiger tanks and those mono wheel thingamabobs. It's still quite interesting to note that though they used jet transports, their fighters were still propeller driven.

I'm also more familiar with the time travellers who went back in time to kill/butterfly away Hitler. Think Twilight Zone. They have a few episodes about that.

Addressing the OP, The Foresight War would be another good example. It's just that both the Allies and the Axis get the edge with two tech-savvy men, one German and one Briton, sent back in time to the 1934 versions of their homelands.

Actually, the most recent incident (also pro-Germany) was Alex Scarrow's Time Riders.

http://www.time-riders.co.uk/
http://timeridersbooks.com/

Spoilers: Big Bad travels back in time, pursuades Hitler not to invade Russia, and gives Germany advanced tech. Fast forward another ten years, the Big Bad has taken over himself, and is invading the US. However, the heroes' first attempt to try and stop him drives him mad, and he uses the time travel tech combined with a nuke to blow up everything... :rolleyes:

Anyway, everything goes back to normal eventually, since the heroes travel back to stop the Big Bad from ever meeting Hitler...

EDIT: Check out these pics - they're awesome :cool:

http://www.time-riders.co.uk/pages/the-book

No wonder dictators of the 20th Century were so paranoid; they faced constant assassination threats from time travelers! :eek:

PipBoy2999

Banned
Actually, there was a book I read years ago (don't remember the title). It starts in 1975. President Kennedy's America is poised to go down fighting, but is going down because Nazi Germania and the Japanese Empire have overwhelming superiority in technology and men/materials. Intelligence has finally produced proof that the Nazi success in WW2 was due to the influence of time travelers from 2025. An OSS team is assembled to go back in time and counter the influence of the 2025 time travelers. Because the technology stolen from Germany is more advanced than the US can handle, the team can't go back to before the 2025 team, so they'll be playing catch up to begin with.

What I thought was really cool was the time machine they built was in an airship. The thinking being that they couldn't guarantee where they'd appear, so they wanted to make sure they didn't materialize inside a mountain or something.

Anyway, hilarity ensues and the result is our timeline.

Strange change of mind,i "Protheus Operation" he di not even come close to being an holocaust denier,at least it was my impression!

the funny thing is in that episode they due not even mention the USSR at all like they never existed

Last edited: