The Year of Four Presidents

I: The Conclusion of the War
America was to face its greatest trial in the year of 1814, two years into the conflagration that had engulfed North America. The triple disasters of Washington, Baltimore and Plattsburgh had taken their toll on the ailing president Madison and on the night of October 3rd, 1814, he passed after a brief bout of ague (no doubt caused by the stress of leadership in combination with the hurried flight to Philadelphia). Madison’s Vice President, Elbridge Gerry, would take the reins of leadership for a mere five weeks before succumbing to illness. Gerry’s sole major act as president was to bring together the scattered Congress and organize a bill which would move the capital of the United States from the ruins of Washington to a more established city, Philadelphia. The bill was passed by a healthy margin even with southern antipathy towards moving north of the Mason-Dixon line, but what he is most remembered for is not the moving of the capital… but his death

Gerry’s passing left America truly rudderless. With his death, the position of chief executive should have fallen to the president pro tempore of the Senate, a position vacant at the time of his death. Given the position was vacant, the next in line of succession was the speaker of the House of Representatives, Langdon Cheves of South Carolina. And here is where the crisis begins. As the news of Gerry’s death filtered through the streets of Philadelphia, Cheves prepared to take office as chief executive, unbeknownst to him is that the senate was hastily coming together in order to elect a president pro tempore which will then supersede his position (which was fairly tenuous, as he really only got the job because the old speaker was away in Europe negotiating the end of the war). Everything was doubly difficult because of the lack of proper offices and accommodations for the government officials, and as a result the whole affair was riddled with rumours and half-truths.

The impromptu capital of the United States was quickly becoming a hotbed of political intrigue. Throughout November and early December, the senate managed to reach a compromise candidate in William Giles of Virginia in a bid to supersede Cheves. And so, for the remainder of 1814 and the first month of 1815 America had two disputed acting presidents. Only written correspondence by Henry Clay urging western senators to drop support for the senate candidate.

The political peace brought about by Clay was short-lived as shortly thereafter a Federalist delegation then arrived in the city with a list of demands for the federal government from a recent convention in Hartford. The end of the 3/5 compromise, the end of Virginia establishment and the establishment of single term presidents were all high on the Federalist priority list. More importantly though, they demanded an end to the war.

Federalist prayers would be answered in late February when the Treaty of Ghent arrived. The war would end, but not as Americans had hoped. Some 200,000 square miles would be ceded to Great Britain including much of the district of Maine, a strip of New York state adjacent to the St. Lawrence, and the territory north of the Maumee and Kankakee Rivers to a point further west on the Upper Mississippi River. America would be barred from building warships upon the Great Lakes, the border within the lakes would be set 7 miles from the American shoreline and Lake Erie islands would find themselves as British territory, America would receive no compensation for the slaves freed during the Chesapeake campaigns and would lose access to fisheries in British North American waters. The impressment of sailors was not addressed and the issue of trade had been solved before the war had even began.

As loathe as America was to ratify it, few felt they had any choice in the matter. American forces from Kentucky had be repulsed outside Fort Meigs the previous summer, Britain occupied both sides of the Niagara peninsula and threatened Albany from its position on Lake Champlain. Lake Ontario was had been lost and the American position on Lake Champlain was tenuous. At sea the British blockade was choking American trade and bringing the government perilously close to insolvency. In the field, American armies were losing more men to disease and desertion than could hope to be recruited. After only two days of debate, and with the specter of an 1815 campaign in the back of Congress’ mind, the treaty was ratified and the war drew to an ignominious end.

The west would blame the Federalists for their unwillingness to prosecute the war to its fullest, and the Federalists would blame the Democratic-Republicans for being dragged as an unwilling participant into the ruinous conflict. In Philadelphia, the demands from Hartford were being met with indignation and cries of treason from southern politicians when it was discovered that the governor of Massachusetts had been secretly in contact with the enemy and sought a separate peace. It was under this backdrop that the election of 1815 was taking place.

So, there are several PODs prior to this starting, but they're relatively minor in the grand scheme of things and I didn't feel like getting bogged down with the actual War of 1812. It's also doubtful that Madison would have actually died, even with the added stress. He was a notorious hypochondriac and suffered many maladies that he thought were much worse than they probably were. For all his talk of being all, he did manage to make it to his 80th birthday. Gerry's death actually happened and was 100% OTL, maybe a little earlier due to actually being president and the added stress.

Lastly, I don't think Cheves or Giles would actually be president. What would their titles be? Acting President?

So, there are several PODs prior to this starting, but they're relatively minor in the grand scheme of things and I didn't feel like getting bogged down with the actual War of 1812. It's also doubtful that Madison would have actually died, even with the added stress. He was a notorious hypochondriac and suffered many maladies that he thought were much worse than they probably were. For all his talk of being all, he did manage to make it to his 80th birthday. Gerry's death actually happened and was 100% OTL, maybe a little earlier due to actually being president and the added stress.

Lastly, I don't think Cheves or Giles would actually be president. What would their titles be? Acting President?
Keep in mind there was some debate at the time whether Gerry himself would have even been considered President, let alone Giles or Cheves. Take a look at some of the debate over John Tyler when he succeeded William Henry Harrison in 1841 for inspiration.

Also, I don't think it is exactly clear what you mean by the campaign of 1815. It is implied that this means a presidential election to determine who is the actual President, but it is not clear specifically what this means. Is this a vote just between Cheves and Giles, or will this be treated just like any other presidential election?

Those questions asked, this is an interesting concept for a timeline that I have not seen anyone tackle. I imagine this would butterfly away the "Era of Good Feelings," or at least significantly alter it. Maybe it would also butterfly away Andrew Jackson's rise to political prominence since the narrative he established of his military heroism would be tainted or, in the specific case of the Battle of New Orleans, non-existent.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing where you'll take this.

One last thing: is there any way you could draw a map of what the new US borders look like as a result of this less-favorable Treaty of Ghent? I am more of a visual thinker, so this would really help out.

Also, I don't think it is exactly clear what you mean by the campaign of 1815. It is implied that this means a presidential election to determine who is the actual President, but it is not clear specifically what this means. Is this a vote just between Cheves and Giles, or will this be treated just like any other presidential election?
I'm only going by what the 1792 Act of Succession states, and I could be mistaken but it reads to me that if there is no clear President or VP then it triggers an election for the following December, unless it's already November/Decmber in which case it skips to the following December which would be 1815.

What I'm unsure about is whether it's a temporary election until the next regular election cycle finishes, or does it start it's own cycle and the old one just sort of disappears. It reads to me that it starts a new cycle, so the elections are now 1815, 19, 23 etc.

The next post will be regarding the election.

I'm only going by what the 1792 Act of Succession states, and I could be mistaken but it reads to me that if there is no clear President or VP then it triggers an election for the following December, unless it's already November/Decmber in which case it skips to the following December which would be 1815.

What I'm unsure about is whether it's a temporary election until the next regular election cycle finishes, or does it start it's own cycle and the old one just sort of disappears. It reads to me that it starts a new cycle, so the elections are now 1815, 19, 23 etc.

The next post will be regarding the election.
I'd say that would be up for debate among Congress, the acting presidents, and the Supreme Court. In short, I think it would be up to you. I would lean more on the "president until 1816" thing myself, but i would imagine this would be up for much debate. New Englanders who support the Hartford Convention would likely support a new cycle starting in 1815 so they could get a president amenable to their interests for a four-year term sooner, whereas others would likely support electing a president until the next regularly-scheduled one in 1816. But that's just my opinion

I'd say that would be up for debate among Congress, the acting presidents, and the Supreme Court. In short, I think it would be up to you. I would lean more on the "president until 1816" thing myself, but i would imagine this would be up for much debate. New Englanders who support the Hartford Convention would likely support a new cycle starting in 1815 so they could get a president amenable to their interests for a four-year term sooner, whereas others would likely support electing a president until the next regularly-scheduled one in 1816. But that's just my opinion

After much searching I found one statement that said they serve out the full four year term, no other source states otherwise so that's what I'll roll with. I do agree that there is some dispute as to whether or not you can take the presidential oath of office and whether you would be acting president or actual president. Since these guys were such sticklers for rules in these days I'm leaning towards them having a very strict view of it and lean more towards acting president than actual. One curious thing to note is that at the time there was no provision about resigning your seat in the House/Senate, so the acting president was a sitting member of the government (unless he voluntarily resigns).

Both of these points are probably overshadowed by the actual succession crisis though. I had Cheves win in early February, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to have the whole government gridlocked until a Supreme Court ruling comes down later in the year.

The Election of 1815
The election of 1815

Due to the 1814 succession crisis and the death of Vice President Gerry, an election was scheduled for December of 1815 (as per Section 10 the 1792 Succession Act). Both the Federalists and Democratic-Republicans set to work to prepare for the snap election.

In the Democratic-Republican Camp, there was a wealth of talent with deep government ties. The current sitting President Cheves, the Secretary of State & War Monroe, the ex-governor Clinton of New York as well as the governor of Pennsylvania, Simon Snyder, and the master of House politics, Henry Clay, all showed talent in leadership and had promising careers in government. Though Monroe would have the strongest reputation and the most backing from the party, the Federalist charge against the Virginian dynasty had gained traction throughout much of the nation and many people, both Federalist and Democratic-Republican, were opposed to another Virginian president. Cheves espoused little interest in continuing on as president after the 1814 succession debacle and decided to retreat from federal politics after the election. This left but three options Simon Snyder, Henry Clay and DeWitt Clinton. Henry Clay had strong support throughout the House he showed little inclination to enter the running having only arrived in the United States in late April from Europe and Clinton had lost a narrow gubernatorial election in New York to the Federalist Rufus King in 1813, leaving only Snyder.

The Vice-Presidential race was little more than ticket balancing, because Pennsylvania was a mid-Atlantic state, it was decided that a man from the south or west would ensure Democratic-Republican fortunes. With this in mind, the aged and recently retired Charles Pinckney of South Carolina was put forward as a candidate.

The Federalist nomination was little more than a disaster. The accusations of treason against Caleb Strong and the men of the Hartford Convention, the Federalist support for president pro tempore candidate Giles in the Crisis of 1814 and the lack of support for a ruinous war all took their toll on the party faithful. Rufus King was the preferred candidate by an enormous margin but thought it a fool’s errand to run as a Federalist given the climate against the party in 1815. As such, there was no official nomination.

The election would end up being an easy victory for the Democratic-Republicans as many of the campaign ideas were ideas that had been Federalist at one time. The creation of a national bank, more money for internal improvements and easier access to western lands all brought voters away from the Federalist cause. The accusations of treason burned in many voters’ minds, especially in the Chesapeake region, where the disaster of Fort McHenry and Baltimore loomed large in many people’s minds. The Federalists still managed a strong showing in the northeast despite the accusations, and this was largely due to having suffered so mightily during the conflict. New York especially stung, having borne the brunt of much of the fighting, casualties and territorial losses in the northeast.

When polls were closed Snyder would cruise to victory with 142 electoral votes to 72 votes for Rufus King and become the next American president.

The Snyder Presidency (1815-1819)
The Snyder Presidency
220px-SimonSnyder.jpg

The Snyder presidency would be one of great prosperity, but not one of peace. In the south, the Indian fighter Andrew Jackson signed somewhat fraudulent Treaties with the Cherokee, a onetime American ally, but an America in such dire need of hard currency did little to dispute the treaties when it came time to open the land to settlement. Several forays into Spanish Florida found American soldiers fighting Seminole tribes and North American Maroon communities (and many of the survivors of these forays found themselves sold into slavery in what would become Mississippi and Alabama). A squadron sent by Acting President Cheves returned from the Mediterranean to much fanfare after successfully engaging the Dey of Algiers. In the west, the remains of the Shawnee were hunted with little pity with many of the survivors fleeing over the border to now British Michigan. The Treaty of Fort Harrison officially brought to an end the remaining Indian power in the lands of the northwest still held by the United States.

The hallmarks of the Snyder presidency domestically were the creation of the second Bank of the United States, and the passing of the Bonus Bill, a bill which provided federal funding for internal improvements (unlike many of his colleagues and predecessors, Snyder saw little unconstitutional about either topic and vetoed neither). In New York, construction began on the Erie Canal, and by 1818 the National Road had gone as far as Wheeling Virginia. All across the country roads were being constructed, canals dug, lighthouses erected and rivers dredged. In Pennsylvania, money was released for the construction of grand federal buildings and public works projects benefitting the new American capital. Baltimore was also given a huge amount of money to aid with the rebuilding from its burning in 1814. Militarily, the army was reduced as a cost saving measure while the general staff was retained. Much of the coastal and border defences construction was continued and a massive militia reform was undertaken to increase combat efficiency and reduce costs by removing the more ineffectual political leaders (this was easier to say than to do for obvious reasons).

In foreign policy, Snyder’s goals were largely about securing a lasting peace and commercial rights with Great Britain. Disputes involving claims made by American settlements now within British territory were settled as amicably as possible (there were remarkably few incidents considering how much land changed hands). An 1818 Treaty with Britain saw the Snyder administration regain Fort Astoria on the Pacific and confirmed the nebulous border to the west. Britain was extremely reluctant to grant America an outlet on Puget Sound, and many Americans cried foul that having Oregon without access to the Sound was nonsense but the mood in Washington and London was conciliatory and together with the provisions that Britain would not construct warships on the Great Lakes and Britain would settle and pay out all claims made by Americans now living in British Canada it seemed reasonable. The new border would follow the Columbia River to its easternmost extent then proceed due east to the Mississippi River and meet the current existing border negotiated at Ghent. With the treaty being signed, Snyder gained an outlet on the Pacific and secured a lasting border with Great Britain.

What continually occupied more and more of the administration’s mind was Spain and its ailing fortunes. The Spanish government had long promised freedom for any escaped slaves in Florida, and it had proven to be a thorny issue in much of the south. Jackson had taken several liberties in crossing the Spanish border to make war with the Seminoles and escaped slaves in Spanish Florida and Snyder had approved of the actions through his refusal to censure him (this in no doubt was probably caused by Secretary of State Monroe, who had a larger and more ambitious plan for the Spanish Empire). Monroe had been in frequent contact with various filibusters in Texas since events prior to the War of 1812, but had let them idle while the war with Britain raged, with the war now completed his attention returned to them.

In the fall of 1816 an expedition from Louisiana would seize the port of Galveston under the leadership of the sometimes filibuster, sometimes pirate Luis Aury. Though the expedition would have no official ties to the United States, it would be heavily supplied by the government through both weapons, money and supplies. The expedition would later be joined by Francisco Xavier Mina, who had been supplied by both the United States and Great Britain. Included in Mina’s party were several officers of American extraction, deepening ties to the Snyder administration. Mina would eventually take his forces inland to try and aid in securing Mexican independence, but Aury’s control of Galveston helped create chaos for Spain over much of the Gulf coast. Tensions between Spain and America would mount through the whole of Snyder’s presidency, but the Panic of 1819 would completely eclipse Spanish-American relations when it struck.

Disaster would strike late in his term with the Panic of 1819. The recovery of European agriculture in 1817 coupled with a drop in the price of cotton and overgenerous lending from US banks caused a massive reduction in credit that launched the USA into recession as many citizens, particulary on the frontier, couldn’t repay their loans when they came due. Much of the blame for the recession was placed on Snyder’s shoulders as much of his spending appeared somewhat profligate to voters, and benefitted his home state of Pennsylvania over others. Others were concerned with increasing federal power being leveraged through the BUS (Bank of the United States) and resented the states’ inability to tax branches. The BUS would also be blamed for the mass bankruptcies across the west and the loss of mortgages (certainly their clumsy handling of calling the loans, keeping too little specie on hand as reserve capital and too generous lending proved to be blameworthy).

Four states would be admitted during Snyder’s tenure as President: Indiana, Mississippi, Illinois and Alabama and the delicate balance between free states and slave states would remain intact.

By mid-1819, Snyder was all but assured to lose the Democratic Republican nomination.

Last edited:
The Election of 1819
The election of 1819

With the Panic of 1819 in full force during the election campaign and Snyder bearing the brunt of the blame for the economic malaise Many within his own government turned against him or refused his patronage. The ageing Secretary of State, Monroe, quietly announced his retirement, while his Secretary of War, Calhoun, would ally himself with the Secretary of Treasury, Crawford, who announced his candidacy. Only Vice-President Pickney would remain at his side, and many suspected this had more to do with weariness over a potential departure than actual loyalty to Snyder. Crawford would easily sweep the May nomination though Snyder vowed to campaign against him regardless of party.

The campaign was straightforward enough, Snyder would campaign on the economic prosperity achieved during his tenure as president and the rebuilding of Baltimore as well as the negotiated treaty with Britain that granted America an outlet on the Pacific Ocean. Crawford championed a plan for debt relief to debtors which won him great support throughout the west as well as his efficient management of the Treasury during his tenure there. Neither party discussed the war at much length.

For a running mate, Crawford chose DeWitt Clinton in an effort to bring the north back into the political fold after the Snyder term in exile. The support of Calhoun would help maintain the continuity of government and capitalize on the flight of support away from Snyder and his bargain with Henry Clay in return for the office of Secretary of State helped ensure him the support of the house and the west.

By the time November would come around, Crawford would win the election with only the state of Pennsylvania voting against him, it choosing to support its native son instead.

The Crawford Presidency
The Crawford Presidency
220px-WilliamHCrawford.png

Crawford coasted to an easy victory in the 1819 campaign, but his presidency would be face a series of political crises within weeks of his taking the oath of office. Philadelphia and Spain would end up becoming the twin pillars of his presidency.

SPAIN

Henry Clay took to the position of Secretary of State with gusto and increased his support for the American filibusters in “West Louisiana” and Florida with supplies, arms, and money. Clay’s bellicose attitude towards Spain caused a minor crisis when it (wrongfully) appeared as though Spain may actually go to war over American transgressions. And while this was probably false, American fears that Spain may call upon the Holy Alliance to intervene on their behalf brought a great deal of worry to officials in Philadelphia. Though Clay was the master of house politics and the domestic profile his bellicosity drove Spain into an increasingly harsh stance against the United States which they could ill afford politically and economically. With de facto American control over West Florida and increasingly shaky control over Texas, only Clay’s intransigence over negotiation kept Spain from resorting to diplomacy to solve the feud. This would lead to a heated dispute between Clay and Crawford over the correct way to solve the issue. Crawford’s time spent in France had lent him a keen eye for European diplomacy and he felt that a less onerous position be taken with Spain in order to assuage Spain’s demeanor. With this in mind, a series of negotiations began in late 1820 between Spain and the United States. Spain was eager to extract as many concessions as possible and took a much more firm stance on Texas than Clay had anticipated (Spain was moving forces through the area and was quite hopeful for victory). It was only the offer of purchasing the territory of Texas outright ($5,000,000), to pay the legal claims of American citizens against Spain ($10,000,000) and Spain gaining most favoured nation trading status in the ex-territories for 25 years when Spain agreed. America also had to cease any support for rebels against Spain in both the United States and Spanish territories. The Treaty was signed on March 28th, 1821, and would last less than five months when Mexico would declare its independence.

PHILADELPHIA

The question of Philadelphia was largely ignored during the Snyder presidency. The huge amounts of money being poured into the city for public works as well as Snyder’s deliberately strong-arming of any potential questions raised about it becoming a capitol district left the question unsolved. Even more important than the city’s status within the Union was the status of slavery within the city. The rules regarding slavery in the city were modelled around the rules of 1790, and the same misunderstandings occurred. The state law stipulated that a non-native slave could only spend a maximum of six months within the state as a slave, after that, he was declared free. This led to many slaveholders moving their slaves into and out of the city every six months to avoid freeing them. It also led to many escape attempts (and successes) when the six months drew near. Many in Congress urged a new capitol district away from Philadelphia, while many pointed to the huge amount of money spent improving the city and opted to stay. The status of the city would remain contentious all through the Crawford presidency and the trickle of slaves gaining their freedom through mismanagement, escape, and subterfuge would all but ensure that only the most enterprising (or foolhardy) of slaveowners would bring their slaves north to Philadelphia.

The Crawford presidency would come to an end on July 22, 1821 after a stoke left him incapacitated (this was likely brought about by the stress of the presidency and faulty medication), he died three days later in bed.

His presidency would generally be remarked upon as a success. His debt relief in the west helped attract settlement after the Panic of 1819 all but dropped it to nothing, he added well over 1.2 million square kilometers into Union territory (roughly half of the Louisiana Purchase) and saw two states accede to the Union: Maine and Missouri. Though the United States would find itself more indebted than when he arrived in power, it was vastly larger and on much sounder footing than when he arrived.