The Three America's : An Alternate American Revolution TL

October, 1777:
American General Horatio Gates's army is pushed back in the Battle of Saratoga, but after fleeing the British for 4 days, takes Fort Ticonderoga and takes refuge there.

General George Clark turns back several British advances in the south, and is nick-named the 'Defender of the Old South'.

The British capture the city of Albany.

November, 1777:
Horatio Gates makes several succecful raids on the British, allowing his army to stay in Fort Ticonderoga for the rest of the winter.

The British lay seige to Philidelphia, and George Washington leads the defence.

December, 1777:
No significant actions take place.

Alt. 1777.png

Last edited:

Nikephoros

Banned
I'd say go with it.

P.S.: How did Gates lose at Saratoga? A good reason is that maybe Morgan doesn't come with his sharpshooters. No sharpshooters and perhaps the British strengths can come into play.

EDIT: I always thought of Gates as being an interesting person. Perhaps you can focus on him some more.

One nitpick. Fort Ticonderoga is north of Saratoga, and was actually captured by Burgoyne prior to the battle of Saratoga. Perhaps holing up somewhere in Vermont is a better idea.

Interesting concept, however. I would like to see how this develops.

edit: or gates pulls some strange retreat into his enemy's rear, taking ticonderoga and all that. However, this is a long shot for two reasons. Firstly, until Burgoyne links up with Howe's forces in New York City, he cannot afford to lose fort ticonderoga, as that would sever his supply lines. He would have to wheel and meet gates, or press on farther. Second, I don't see Gates rally ing a defeated army and leading it into this stroke of genius/madness. Arnold might try this, but not gates. he just didn't have it in him. Maybe Gates dies or is captured, and arnold reforms the remnants of the army and gets it away somewhat intact.

OOC: Alright, changed the Ticonderoga thing.

March-June, 1778:
After waiting the winter, George Clark continues to make advances in the South.

Philidelphia falls, and George Washington moves to Boston, making it the capital of America.

Horatio Gates and his army fail to make a break in the British seige, and only just get enough food to last a few more months.

June-November, 1778:
George Clark further harms the British in the South, leaving them with some land in the west and a small fort.

Boston is laid to seige, with George Washington and Benedict Arnold co-leading the defense.

Alt. 1778.png

March-May, 1779:
George Washington gets stricken with the flu, and Benedict Arnold breaks the British seige of Boston.

George Clark captures the British Fort, and moves west to take more British land.

May-September, 1779
Benedict Arnold makes his way to Fort Ticonderoga, breaking the long British seige and saving Horatio Gates and his men.

George Clark takes even more British land, but is held at the Ohio river by British Native American allys.

September-November, 1779
The British finish off America's land in the North-East, and lay Boston to seige again.

Horatio Gates and Benedict Arnold combine forces to keep the British from once again cutting Fort Ticonderoga off.

Alt. 1779.png

March-April, 1780:
Benedict Arnold pushes the British back from Boston, while Horatio Gates continues to thwart the British efforts to take Fort Ticonderoga.

May-June, 1780:
King George III invites Benjamin Franklin, George Washington, and George Clark to Quebec, where the 4 negotiate for a month on the terms of peace. Finally, they come to this agreement:

King George III allow's 2 American countrys to be formed, the Republic of New England, and the Southern American Republic, with George Washington leading the former and George Clark leading the latter.

The South is allowed to keep all the land's it aquiered, but must limit its trade with nations other than New England and Britain.

New England is allowed to keep Boston and Fort Ticonderoga, but cannot trade with France or Spain.

Slavery and slave trade in New England is abolished.

September, 1780:
New England and the South sign the Treaty of Boston, declaring that if one country is attacked, the other would declare war on the offender.

Alt. 1780.png

Part of Virginia, Georgia, and Tenesse, and all of North Carolina and South Carolina make up the Southern American Republic.

Massachussettes and part of New York make up the Republic of New England.

Britain still gets Greater Canada (Quebec), Lesser Canada (Hudson Bay), The Northwest Territory, The Southwest Territory (What remains of the south), and Greater America (What remains of America).

Washington can not arbitrarily move the capital - that would be the responsibility and power of the Continental Congress. Unless you are talking about Washington and Gates being American 'warlords' of a sort. I also doubt that George III would be involved in any negotiations.

Washington can not arbitrarily move the capital - that would be the responsibility and power of the Continental Congress. Unless you are talking about Washington and Gates being American 'warlords' of a sort.
Yeah, more or less. Its kind of a limited monarchy under the guise of a republic. However, the South is set up like the American republic we know and love.

I also doubt that George III would be involved in any negotiations.

Well, he wasn't physically there, no. I admit, I didn't adress that fact well, but hey, its whatever.

March-May, 1783:
Several New English ships are caught trying to smuggle goods from Spain into Boston, and King George III announces that the Royal Navy will blockade Boston until New England pays Britain what the goods were worth. This causes a great uproar in New England, and George Washington raises the army.

George Clark, seeing that New England and Britain will soon go to war, moves west and attacks the Southwest Territory.

George Washington sends Horatio Gates southwest, hoping to connect New England and the South to ease the passage of supplys.

Benedict Arnold holds the British back, disallowing them to enter New English territory.

June-August, 1783:
George Clark makes great success along the Ohio River, although Native Americans who are still allied to Britain keep him from crossing it.

September-November, 1783:
George Clark further pushes the British back, using new hit-and-run guerilla tactics.

After several tough battles, Horatio Gates manages to reach the South.

Alt. 1783.png

March-April, 1784:
Horatio Gates begins the seige of Philidelphia.

Much to the shock of both New England and the South, George Clark loses to a combined Native American-British force. However, he does not suffer much losses, and his hit-and-run tactics continue to confuse and frustrate the British.

April-July, 1784:
Benedict Arnold manages to push north, and only just defeats a large British force.

Horatio Gates manages to keep up the seige of Philidelphia, even though he is attacked 4 times by a larger British force.

July-September, 1784:
Benedict Arnold is held up by a young Scottish general named David Wallace.

Horatio Gates finally takes Philidelphia, and continues to move along the Southern border.

George Clark defeats the army that beat him in April, and moves southeast nearly unhindered.

October-November, 1784:
The New English Navy manages to break the British blockade.

Alt. 1784.png

March-June, 1785:
Benedict Arnold continues to be held up by the young David Wallace, although he manages to take more land along the coast.

George Clark once more is defeated by the Native American-British force, and he is pushed back.

July-September, 1785:
Horatio Gates reaches the Ohio River, and sets up a makeshift fort to stay for winter.

George Clark continues to struggle in the southwest, even though he has regained land. He also learns the identity of the leader of the force, Sir Henry Clarkson.

Benedict Arnold faces General Wallace in the Battle of Concord, and although neither side was the clear victor, Arnold takes refuge in Concord.

October-November, 1785:
No significant actions take place.

Alt. 1785.png

March-June, 1786:
General Clark once more engages Sir Clarkson, and with the victory, moves southwest.

Benedict Arnold holds off General Wallace from re-taking Concord.

Horatio Gates crosses the Ohio river, only to be attacked by Britains Native American allies.

July-August, 1786:
General Arnold and General Wallace continue to fight, although neither side appears to be winning.

Horatio Gates barley makes progress west, and suffers heavy losses.

General Clark bypasses his adversary and moves south.

September-November, 1786:
Benedict Arnold moves further east, and reaches to coast of southwestern Maine.

Horatio Gates is forced to stop, and only keeps his position due to Southern help.

George Clark reaches Florida, and begins negotiations with Spain, asking them to help in the war.

Alt. 1786.png

I'd say go with it.

P.S.: How did Gates lose at Saratoga? A good reason is that maybe Morgan doesn't come with his sharpshooters. No sharpshooters and perhaps the British strengths can come into play.

EDIT: I always thought of Gates as being an interesting person. Perhaps you can focus on him some more.

Maybe General Arnold doesn't make the battle due to being wounded or killed earlier on. I've read that it was his influence alone that saved the battle for the Americans; Gates just took credit later on.

Nikephoros

Banned
Maybe General Arnold doesn't make the battle due to being wounded or killed earlier on. I've read that it was his influence alone that saved the battle for the Americans; Gates just took credit later on.

Actually, IIRC it was the other way around. Unfortunately I don't have access to my sources.