The Old European Cup survives - No Champions League (1991)

2001-02: Real Madrid
The 'Galácticos' live up to their name. With a stacked lineup, comprising legends such as Zidane, Figo or Roberto Carlos, Real Madrid faces a very complicated path to the final. They beat Red Star and FC Bayern before escaping alive from Munich. Then, a comeback against PSV in the quarter-finals and an agonic triumph against Roma in the semis allow 'Los Blancos' to seal their ticket to Scotland.

A match against Manchester United was what everybody wanted, but the dream final is 'ruined' by Tirol Innsbruck. The Austrian side, without stars but coached by a young Joachim Löw, achieves an amazing feat after great triumphs against Boavista and Sparta, but is outplayed by Real Madrid in Hampden Park. Everything was resolved in the first half. Figo opened the score at the 12th minute, but Radoslaw Gilewicz tied the match in the 32nd before Makélélé put Real leading again right before half-time. Madrid dominated the rest of the match easily and claimed la Octava.

Some unavoidable butterflies: IOTL, Tirol ceased to exist after this season despite winning the Austrian Bundesliga because of bankruptcy. I'll give them some cash after reaching the final, which will allow them to survive for a couple of years and participate in the next European Cup edition.

View attachment 888601

And a summary of winners from the POD:
View attachment 888602
Damn, we got to equalise against Bayern 😯
That alone would've been a big deal for Hajduk, especially with the team it had back then

Damn, we got to equalise against Bayern 😯
That alone would've been a big deal for Hajduk, especially with the team it had back then
Yeah, quite a nice team. Slaven Bilic in the bench, and then legends such as Darijo Srna, Stimac, Pletikosa, Mate Bilic (he did great in Gijón later!)... Too bad Hajduk only won two more league titles since then, let's see how they perform

Too bad Hajduk only won two more league titles
Well... It just so happened that another Croatian team was founded by the government and run by a criminal who escaped the country a few years ago. It's esentially stuff that's happening in Bulgaria.

Had it not been for all that, we could've/should've been champs in 2006/07, 2008/09 and 2009/10, along with the recent 2021/22 season. Here's hoping things will become better soon.

Waiting for the 2004-05 edition. Arsenal would have to be one of the favourites in that season after the Invincibles year in the Premier League and with the team they had. :)

2002/03
2002-03: Real Madrid
If Real Madrid 'Galácticos' weren't scary enough, check this out: they also add Ronaldo in the summer transfer window. It's a team full of legendary players who only face real trouble in the quarter-finals, against Valencia, defending LaLiga champions. Los Blancos are superior at home, then they draw in Mestalla to advance to the semis, where they face Arsenal. At the Santiago Bernabéu, Real wins 2-0, but in Highbury the Gunners are able to come back and score three goals... before Guti scores a 94th minute screamer that sends Madrid to their second final in a row.

Del Bosque's pupils face a massive underdog, Slovan Liberec. The Czech champions miraculously beat Borussia Dortmund in Germany and benefit from an off-side goal at home to reach the final at Old Trafford. In Manchester, they prove no match for Madrid's powerful strikers: two goals from Ronaldo and another one from Raúl seal the victory and their 9th European Cup title. Despite winning LaLiga too, Del Bosque won't continue in the team, as tensions arise between him and Florentino Pérez.

Screenshot 2024-02-16 at 14.07.17.png

These are all the champions:
New Project (1).png

2003/04
2003-04: Manchester United
I was rooting for that dream final of Real Madrid vs Manchester United, but major forces deprive us of seeing it. Del Bosque is no longer with Real Madrid, who welcome David Beckham to their all-star roster. Things go fine for the Galácticos until they collapse in the later stages of the season: they lose the Copa del Rey final, run out of steam in LaLiga, and are kicked out of the European Cup against Juventus. The Bianconeri, featuring legends such as Buffon, Nedved, Del Piero or Trezeguet, showcase a 5-2 victory in Delle Alpi in the first leg. Real almost complete a comeback in Madrid, but only wins 2-0 and the Galácticos project suffers a major blow.

Once in Gelsenkirchen, Juve face Manchester United, who are back in the final two years later. They have been irregular at times, but their victory against FC Bayern in the semis make them favourites. Despite all the stars involved, the game is somewhat boring. Del Piero opens the score in the 25th minute and Juve parks the bus, but Cristiano Ronaldo manages to levels the score in the 64th and the game remains tied until the end. In the penalty shoot-out, Tim Howard becomes the hero of United as he saves the last two penalties to make Red Devils champions for their 4th time.

2004.png

This is a great idea, is so refreshing see fiction about football, increible enoght there is not so much in the internet the i can see, thank you so much this tl.
Pd: i am very bitter for that barcelona no havin win anything, but i have hope that the pep team pretty much destroy the charts when they come

This is a great idea, is so refreshing see fiction about football, increible enoght there is not so much in the internet the i can see, thank you so much this tl.
Pd: i am very bitter for that barcelona no havin win anything, but i have hope that the pep team pretty much destroy the charts when they come
Thanks for your kind words!

And indeed, I also want Barcelona to win some, let's see what happens with Ronaldinho first

2004/05
2004-05: Porto
Now this was a crazy season. Just look at the semi-finalists. Porto, Ajax, Valencia and Lyon. It's a golden opportunity for all of them to win the title. Where are the top dogs? Well, Lyon kicks Arsenal out in the second round after a Juninho Pernambucano master class in Highbury. Man United? Valencia destroyed them in Mestalla in the semis. Milan? A bad night in Amsterdam seals their fate. But Porto's case is strange. José Mourinho took them to the UEFA Cup final in 2003 ITTL (they lost), but last year suffered an upset against Partizan and never managed to win it. Nevertheless, the Portuguese manager is in Chelsea now, and Porto is underperforming in the domestic competitions. Luigi Delneri, Mou's replacement, is sacked in Summer, before coaching one single match. Then comes the Spaniard Víctor Fernández, who is laid off in January. José Couceiro comes to the rescue and, despite some key players who are with Mourinho at Chelsea, manages to keep the team alive in Europe and qualify for the final in Istanbul thanks to a somewhat benevolent path.

Their rivals are Valencia, who are not anymore coached by Rafa Benítez. His substitute, Claudio Ranieri, only lasts until February, when youth coach Antonio López takes care of the team. The defending LaLiga champions can't recover and will finish out of the top 4, but in Europe is a different story: Albelda, Baraja, Cañizares, Vicente and especially Pablo Aimar give Los Ches reasons to dream, with stellar performances day after day. In Turkey, however, they experience a nightmare. First, Vicente misses a penalty in the first ten minutes of the game Then, Marchena is sent off in the 20th minute, and Diego opens the score from the spot. Twenty minutes later, Hélder Postiga scores the second for Porto after a defensive mistake in the midfield (Baraja is injured for this match). In the second half, Benny McCarthy adds the last nail to the coffin in a counter-attack to give the Dragoes their second European Cup ever.

1708204894741.png

2004-05: Porto
Now this was a crazy season. Just look at the semi-finalists. Porto, Ajax, Valencia and Lyon. It's a golden opportunity for all of them to win the title. Where are the top dogs? Well, Lyon kicks Arsenal out in the second round after a Juninho Pernambucano master class in Highbury. Man United? Valencia destroyed them in Mestalla in the semis. Milan? A bad night in Amsterdam seals their fate. But Porto's case is strange. José Mourinho took them to the UEFA Cup final in 2003 ITTL (they lost), but last year suffered an upset against Partizan and never managed to win it. Nevertheless, the Portuguese manager is in Chelsea now, and Porto is underperforming in the domestic competitions. Luigi Delneri, Mou's replacement, is sacked in Summer, before coaching one single match. Then comes the Spaniard Víctor Fernández, who is laid off in January. José Couceiro comes to the rescue and, despite some key players who are with Mourinho at Chelsea, manages to keep the team alive in Europe and qualify for the final in Istanbul thanks to a somewhat benevolent path.

Their rivals are Valencia, who are not anymore coached by Rafa Benítez. His substitute, Claudio Ranieri, only lasts until February, when youth coach Antonio López takes care of the team. The defending LaLiga champions can't recover and will finish out of the top 4, but in Europe is a different story: Albelda, Baraja, Cañizares, Vicente and especially Pablo Aimar give Los Ches reasons to dream, with stellar performances day after day. In Turkey, however, they experience a nightmare. First, Vicente misses a penalty in the first ten minutes of the game Then, Marchena is sent off in the 20th minute, and Diego opens the score from the spot. Twenty minutes later, Hélder Postiga scores the second for Porto after a defensive mistake in the midfield (Baraja is injured for this match). In the second half, Benny McCarthy adds the last nail to the coffin in a counter-attack to give the Dragoes their second European Cup ever.

View attachment 888915
I'm assuming TTL's Chelsea waltzed throught the UEFA Cup?

2005/06
2005-06: Chelsea
He came, he saw, he conquered. José Mourinho arrived in London and won the Premier League for Chelsea in 2005. And one year later, is an European Cup champion. The Blues only had trouble handling Juventus in the semifinals, a team that will be relegated to Serie B due to the Calciopoli scandal later on. Chelsea is a well-oiled machine, with Drogba, Robben, Lampard and Cech performing so well that they'll successfully defend their Premier League title.

The final is also easier than expected for the London side. PSV Eindhoven manage to eliminate Barcelona in the semis thanks to a late away goal by Jefferson Farfán. In the quarterfinals, Ronaldinho plays one of his best matches ever at the Allianz Arena to kick Bayern out, but his heroics are unsufficient against the Dutch side in the next round. In France, a hat-trick by Drogba (the first player to do so in a European Cup final!) and another goal by Robben make Chelsea the first London side to conquer the most prestigious trophy in the continent.

1708276344432.png

Last edited:
Some additional info on the other competitions, to have them as a reference. As I said in the opening post, I don't plan to delve a lot into the other competitions, just the European Cup.

1708384353890.png

Last edited:
2005-06: Chelsea
He came, he saw, he conquered. José Mourinho arrived in London and won the Premier League for Chelsea in 2005. And one year later, is an European Cup champion. The Blues only had trouble handling Juventus in the semifinals, a team that will be relegated to Serie B due to the Calciopoli scandal later on. Chelsea is a well-oiled machine, with Drogba, Robben, Lampard and Cech performing so well that they'll successfully defend their Premier League title.

The final is also easier than expected for the London side. PSV Eindhoven manage to eliminate Barcelona in the semis thanks to a late away goal by Jefferson Farfán. In the quarterfinals, Ronaldinho plays one of his best matches ever at the Allianz Arena to kick Bayern out, but his heroics are unsufficient against the Dutch side in the next round. In France, a hat-trick by Drogba (the first player to do so in a European Cup final!) and another goal by Robben make Chelsea the first London side to conquer the most prestigious trophy in the continent.

View attachment 889021
Knowing what happened to Hajduk in 2005/06, a 2-2 draw with Steaua looks like a win... Never again...
sddefault.jpg

Knowing what happened to Hajduk in 2005/06, a 2-2 draw with Steaua looks like a win... Never again...
sddefault.jpg
I was rooting for Hajduk, but Steaua got the better hand. It's also a dark TL for Barcelona fans, with no Champions League titles so far. We'll see in 2007. I hope I can reach the 2023-24 edition before OTL QF, but it's still a long way to go

Did you simulate the other competitions as well?
Not the other ones. For those competitions I'm taking the results of the Champions League IOTL. That's why Milan wins other competitions in 03 and 04, for instance.

I do this for a few reasons:
- I'm honestly not very motivated to sim all competitions.
- There would be a million games to sim...
- And it helps with the narrative of some clubs&players&managers. For example, Ancelotti is not a European champion here, but at least he has a CWC and a UC in this TL with Milan, so he's still successful. Or Mourinho. How can he end at Chelsea if Porto is upset by Partizan in 2003-04? Well, I make him a UEFA Cup finalist in 2003, when despite losing the final he beats United in the process and catches Abramovich's attention.

I'm sure there are some loopholes, but as I said my main goal is to imagine how our current football would look like with the European Cup format.