The Italians of East Africa

Driftless

Donor
I'm enjoying the thread. The African battles were interesting, for both WWI & WWII. What's not to like about characters & units like: Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck(WW1), Jan Smuts(WW1 & 2), Orde Wingate, William Slim, The Kings African Rifles, The Somaliland Camel Corps, MAS Torpedo boats, etc.

The relative smaller scale of forces involved allows for plausible small POD's having bigger effects locally. As some earlier pointed out, if the Italians had been able to close off the narrows of the Gulf of Aden for a time, that would have been a big problem for the British.

Please - keep going!

Can you make a map i want see how many territory is captured by the italians.

You're gonna have to really strain your eyes :p

advances.jpg

Green is the pre-war border, red is active front line where they advanced (3 points on the border with Sudan - coast, Kassala and Gallabat, and one on the border with Kenya - Moyale, which they encircled as OTL) and purple is the only larger stretch of land (Djibouti and a thin stip of British Somaliland) I could color and still have it properly seen on the map.

So basically Djibouti and a couple of border towns...

advances.jpg

so glad this will continue. Will need to read trough everything one more time. So Mussolini cant yet brag about having conquered territory the size of England. Im sure his just waiting for that moment.

Last edited:
Still there, Magnum?

Please don't let this die!:eek:

Dammit, I won't !!

It's just that I have so much going on that I only have time for a couple of quick views of the site before real life kicks back in. However, come this weekend at the latest, I promise to have an update. Also, thank you for reading.

Dammit, I won't !!

It's just that I have so much going on that I only have time for a couple of quick views of the site before real life kicks back in. However, come this weekend at the latest, I promise to have an update. Also, thank you for reading.
AWeSOME!!!

1 of the issues is that just before launching the Invasion of Greece in 1940 the Army was ordered (By Mussolini I presume) to demob a massive amount of troops so that they could return to the fields etc and then a few weeks later told the army to get 30 Divisions ready to invade Greece.

Its interesting - the fall of British Somalia was greeted with a meh by Wavell (who was more concerned - quite rightly IMO in preserving his very limited forces) but Churchill went Ballistic.

I think at one point Wavell had 3 Regular Divisions with which he had to contain the Italians in North and East Africa, Stand ready to reinforce the Far East, Occupy Palestine and stamp on Iraqi uprisings.

I think he can be forgiven for not being very interested in squandering his forces! :)

As for the OPs Question - Better equipment and training - Repeat Better Equipment and Training - the tanks inflicted on the Italian army were an act of treason. Their leadship was more often than not very poor.

The Aircraft in the late 30s were actually quite good - their 3 engined bombers and Biplanes were easily a match for British Aircraft of that time period - however once Britain started taking the whole getting on a war footing seriously they rapidly opened the gap.

The army was very poor - better to have a sizable proffesional core like the British and then expand it during times of strife.

Ok, so by popular demand, I've convinced myself to finish this TL. As is pretty typical of me, I start off with a general outline/idea and a detailed-ish plan untill about half-way through the story, thinking that I'll figure out the rest as I go.

However, what happens is that, whilst doing research, I find out all these cool new facts/mini-stories, which I try and incorporate into the main plot. At a certain point though, the complexity grows way too big, and I slow down, in an attempt to have every detail figured out before proceeding. Unfortunately, this is more like digging an even deeper hole in an attempt to get out of the hole you're already in. Before too long, the whole thing looks pretty intimidating, and I find it far easier to start up somethig new, thinking I'll get back to the first story someday. But I hardly ever do. And so the TL dies.

However, let's try and resurrect this one in order to give it a proper burial - i.e. fast forward it towards the finish line without getting bogged down by details.

Despite attempts to improve his position and augment his forces by relying on the locally-conscripted Sudanese Defence Force, on local police or on Ethiopian rebels, Major-General William Platt knew that defending Sudan with only three British infantry battalions, no tanks, no artillery and only a handful of outnumbered and obsolete biplanes was a bluff. If only he could delay any enemy attack until the rainy season, and he would be safe, as reinforcements were bound to arrive later. Unfortunately for him, Duke Amadeo di Aosta called his bluff.

All in all, it had been a perfect storm for the Italians – the British had lost a series of ships in the area, and most of their remaining ones (including their last remaining cruiser, HMS Ceres), had been sent on a wild goose chase after the RAMB I. Furthermore, with several of the Sudanese companies being badly mauled in the opening engagements, and with his force of Etiopian rebels almost wiped out, Platt would have preferred to sit back, conserve his forces, and await reinforcements. Political considerations however had forced his hand, and a good part of the 1st Battalion Worchestershire Regiment had been sent south to engage the Italian infantry convoy slowly advancing up the coast – some minor victory was deemed necessary, lest the locals start getting ideas. With the other two British battalions being far away in Khartoum and near the border, this left Port Sudan dangerously exposed, with only HQ company from 1st Battlion, elements of two SDF companies still forming up, some local police and the coastal artillery (manned by Egyptian soldiers) being left to protect the port. This force was deemed sufficient. It was not.

The Italians attacked from three different directions, catching their opponents completely by surprise. It started with a powerful air attack on the port and city center by a combined force of more than 70 aircraft (the single biggest air attack the Regia Aeronautica would conduct in the theater). While actual military casualties were light, the confusion and disorganization it caused greatly aided the follow-up assault. These came from multiple angles – from land, a minor cavalry force, which had been sneaking through the desert for the past weeks,(1) attacked the outer edges of the town, forcing the British commander to deploy whatever forces were at hand against them. This was followed up by an airdrop of approximately 40 paratroopers, (2) literally the whole force the Italians had available, which was carried out on top of the city, as close to the harbor as possible. While these were undoubtebly brave and skilled as infantrymen, they were also grossly inexperienced when it came to carrying out such an operation – nevertheless, they created enough confusion among the defenders trying to organize themselves after the bombing raid that the third and last attack could be carried out. This took the form of a naval landing within the harbor, spearheaded by a couple of fast motorboats packed with marines, and followed up by the destroyers of the Red Sea Flotilla, all filled to the brim with infantry. Owing to the combined efforts of the bombers, the paratroopers and the marines in the motorboats (three of which would end up winning Italy’s highest millitary honor for their action - taking out two heavily defended gun emplacements), only a single piece of coastal artillery remained manned by Egyptian soldiers when the destroyers steamed into harbor. It opened fire on the lead ship, sinking it and forcing the men aboard to swim for the shore. Meanwhile, the other destroyers responded, firing back and forcing the demoralized Egyptians to abandon their gun. With the port now swarming with Italian infantry, the British attempted a counterattack, only to see the Sudanese soldiers flee and blend in with the civilians after it became clear they were massively outnumbered. With no chance of escape, HQ company surrendered after several more hours of fighting, leaving Italy in complete control of Port Sudan.

Under normal circumstances, Platt would have been able to quickly dispatch one of his two reserve battallions to Port Sudan. However, with the rail line having been sabotaged earlier, the redeployment would take time, during which the Italians pushed another convoy through, carrying supplies and artillery. With the landing force now dug in and waiting, the half-hearted counterattack by the British infantry failed to make any progress before being called off.

By itself, the loss of Port Sudan was in no way significant from a military perspective, as the forces used were basically trapped once the RN deployed ships into the area. Politically however, it was a disaster. News of the defeat reached Karthoum almost at the same time as reports indicating that the main Italian formation, the 65th Savoy Grenadiers division, had started advancing from their position at Metema and Kassala straigth for the Sudanese capital. The two Italian flying columns included a fully motorized force, as well as more than half of Italy’s M11/39 medium tanks (3). Duke Amadeo was basically throwing everything he had against Platt’s force.(4) To the average man on the street in Khartoum, it looked like the British were collapsing, just like they were told had happened in Europe. Riots broke out across the capital, at first violently surpressed by the British. Then, when reports arrived that leading elements of the 1st Battalion Essex Regiment and 2nd Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment, along with an assortment of native SDF companies, had failed to stop the Italians (5), Abd al-Rahman and Ali el Mirghani decided there was no point in backing a loosing horse, and ordered their followers to rise up in rebellion throughout the land. Soon, entire SDF companies were dispensing of their British officers and joining their countrymen. William Platt himself was killed, along with Governor-General Sir Steward Symes, after a three-day long siege of their headquarters in the Governor-General's Palace in the centre of Khartoum.(6)

With their supply lines in tatters and chaos raging all around them, the remaining British units in the area were ordered to retreat and regroup north of Khartoum. When the Italian columns finally reached the city, they found the Sudanese in complete control. A few days later, Duke Amadeo di Aosta flew in along with a film crew, and declared Abd al-Rahman to be the new Mahdi (7) and accepting his alliegeance to King Vittorio Emanuele III and the Kingdom of Italy (8)

1 – something like this actually happened OTL, with a cavalry unit raiding Port Sudan
2 – remember those officers Italo Balbo dispatched from his paratrooper training school? This is the result of their efforts to create a similar force in Ethiopia
3 - 15 crappy tanks don’t really seem like much, but when considering that their opponent barely had any AT guns, let alone tanks of his own, they turn out to be a formidable force indeed.
4 - fully motorized and battle-hardened by years of anti-guerrila campaigns in Ethiopia, the Savoy Grenadiers represented Italy’s main (and only) striking force in the region capable of executing such an advance
5 – even though their mission was only to harrass them, which they succeeded in doing actually
6 - the same place where General Gordon was killed by soldiers of the Mahdi
7 – after all, he was the posthumuos son of the famous Muhammad Ahmad, who had captured Khartoum from the General Gordon way back in 1885
8 – although everyone knew that, de facto, the new Mahdi was pledging alliegenace to Benito “the Sword of Islam” Mussolini

Last edited:

Insider

Banned
Bravo. It was one of the topics I missed the most when it got innert. It is good to see it back alive. I Wonder if Italians succeed in taking Sudan they could link up with Libya. They could bring some limited resupply to their colonies.

Also a very Gordonesque fate for the British commander. Did the locals put their heads on pikes?