The Fair and the Landless

The marriage of the landless and the fair
On 1199, John I of England would repudiate his wife, Hawise or Isabella of Gloucester in favor of Blanche of Navarre to continue the alliance of Navarre with that of England, this decision would make the Queen dowager of England, Berengaria very happy as it would continue the alliance between Navarre and England.

The decision of John I of England to marry Blanche of Navarre is said to would have benefited England in the long term as Blanche would have been a great regent since the death of John I of England and it would guarantee the Plantagenet inheritance of Navarre after the death of Berengaria and Blanche’s brother, Sancho.

Blanche of Navarre was crowned as the Queen of England after her marriage and John I of England would think of two alliances and that between England and Aragon and the peace between France and England.

In 1200, John I would marry his niece, Eleanor of Brittany to Peter II of Aragon to create an alliance between the Aragonese and the English and to support the marriage of John I and Blanche of Navarre, as the Aragonese also have border issues with Navarre and Aquitaine and also John I would have his nephew, Arthur marry Constance, daughter of Tancred who is in exhile with her sisters as it was promised that he would marry a Sicilian Princess in 1190.

The marriage of Blanche of Navarre would strengthen the Plantagenet hold in Aquitaine and Normandy.

Blanche of Navarre would have 5 children with John I of England, namely, Henry(1200), Richard(1202), Joan(1203), Blanche(1207), and Eleanor(1208).

Last edited: