The Examap Project

Introduction
Hello AH.COMers! It is time i post this on the biggest template mapmaking site on the internet, here.
Welcome to the Examap Project thread!

So, what is Examap?
It is a 30 arc-seconds/roughly 1km per pixel resolution (43200x21600) equirectangular template map of the world, originally created by @ainsleyblyat. It was just a bootleg VT-BAM redraw with connected pixels, but now we are far from it.

What is special about this?
Well, by maximum utilization of GIS and various datasets, we will have the best basemap ever with maximum geospatial accuracy. Moreover, we will have many, many, and MANY layers to work with, for example, such as detailed historical presets, modern rivers, drainage basins, population density, accurate subdivisions, etc.
Also, we have plenty of enthusiasm and contributors so constant progress is guranteed most of the time.

—————————————
This thread is mainly for Q&A, and for showing progress. Our main base of operations is Discord, for coordination and progress.

If anyone is interested, here is our Github: https://github.com/BonkeyDonk/Examap
And a Twitter aswell: https://twitter.com/examap_project?t=A20MW9DbyslzPyDL-ibxeQ&s=09
And of course, a Discord link: https://discord.gg/xWXX2ZTeqV
(If you wanted to contribute, please DM me, as we have some rules in tracing, doing otherwise isnt encouraged)

(Also looking for someone to do a disconnected pixels version if you have an abundant amount of free time)

Attachments

• 210.png
    210.png
    292.5 KB · Views: 625
  • penal_growth.png
    penal_growth.png
    142.2 KB · Views: 795
Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out something, what exactly separates them from VT-BAM? Both this and VT has the same map size of 43200x21600, they're raster maps, and has the same projection and main axis. Why not join forces instead?

I'm trying to figure out something, what exactly separates them from VT-BAM? Both this and VT has the same map size of 43200x21600, they're raster maps, and has the same projection and main axis. Why not join forces instead?
Great question. Well, all because of Ainsley. Basically he prefer connected pixels, and he is a very dedicated one too. Not to mention he already had a good base of followers and contributors, so i decided to help out.
And why didnt we choose to join forces with the vtbamers:
- vtbam has no actual constant progress
- literally because Ainsley likes so (and me)
- we want to do a 100% overhaul
- in our opinion, the thread system is very not suitable for developing a project
- VTBAM's coastline is outdated, and the choice of tracing coastline with a DEM-generated raster is kind of bad.

Last edited:
He did this in less than 3 months, which is astounding progress.

Attachments

• e1af32285043cc6d6216c63c321cf688.png
    e1af32285043cc6d6216c63c321cf688.png
    329.5 KB · Views: 664
Hello AH.COMers! It is time i post this on the biggest template mapmaking site on the internet, here.
Welcome to the Examap Project thread!

So, what is Examap?
It is a 30 arc-seconds/roughly 1km per pixel resolution (43200x21600) equirectangular template map of the world, originally created by @ainsleyblyat. It was just a bootleg VT-BAM redraw with connected pixels, but now we are far from it.

What is special about this?
Well, by maximum utilization of GIS and various datasets, we will have the best basemap ever with maximum geospatial accuracy. Moreover, we will have many, many, and MANY layers to work with, for example, such as detailed historical presets, modern rivers, drainage basins, population density, accurate subdivisions, etc.
Also, we have plenty of enthusiasm and contributors so constant progress is guranteed most of the time.

—————————————
This thread is mainly for Q&A, and for showing progress. Our main base of operations is Discord, for coordination and progress.

If anyone is interested, here is our Github: https://github.com/BonkeyDonk/Examap
And a Twitter aswell: https://twitter.com/examap_project?t=A20MW9DbyslzPyDL-ibxeQ&s=09
(If you wanted to contribute, please DM me, as we have some rules in tracing, doing otherwise isnt encouraged)
Do you have a version without the gross connected pixels

Do you have a version without the gross connected pixels
Yeahh I just took one good look at the islands off the coast of Finland and thought connected pixels are an eyesore. It’s a cool project that I’ve been following for a while with a lot of dedicated mappers, but especially on something smaller like Gigamap I think the choice to use connected pixels was a very poor one.

I have a question: what exactly do these better BAM maps do for us? I’m not heckling by any means, I’m just new and curious why we must make everything massive 😂 but I mean I wouldn’t mind having a massive map, I’m just saying what do these better and better maps bring to the table?

I have a question: what exactly do these better BAM maps do for us? I’m not heckling by any means, I’m just new and curious why we must make everything massive 😂 but I mean I wouldn’t mind having a massive map, I’m just saying what do these better and better maps bring to the table?
Well, our initial goal is not for public use. The project is intended to be the ultimate raster template where accurate historical maps will be produced, with maximum geospatial accuracy. Also, it is good for 1v1 war videos, hey :) and it is good for making althist scenarios as well. Basically qbam but in a regional scale.

Great question. Well, all because of Ainsley. Basically he prefer connected pixels, and he is a very dedicated one too. Not to mention he already had a good base of followers and contributors, so i decided to help out.
And why didnt we choose to join forces with the vtbamers:
- vtbam has no actual constant progress
- literally because Ainsley likes so (and me)
- we want to do a 100% overhaul
- in our opinion, the thread system is very not suitable for developing a project
- VTBAM's coastline is outdated, and the choice of tracing coastline with a DEM-generated raster is kind of bad.
To elaborate on Chilneun's admittedly somewhat rude reasoning:
  • VT-Bam's progress has been sporadic and its organisation lacklustre. Unlike Examap, which is organized on Discord (Instant-Messaging Platform).
  • Unlike VT-Bam, we use accurate QGIS sources for the map itself, making it infinitely more accurate.
  • VT-Bam has disconnected pixels, which due to a number of reasons, are vastly inferior consistency-wise to connected ones.

Last edited:
Well, our initial goal is not for public use. The project is intended to be the ultimate raster template where accurate historical maps will be produced, with maximum geospatial accuracy. Also, it is good for 1v1 war videos, hey :) and it is good for making althist scenarios as well. Basically qbam but in a regional scale.
Thank you, so this is designed to be the best of the best? Then I’m going to be your biggest fan!

Do you have any index showing exactly what each png covers?
Hm, not really, we just use the tiles system like how vtbam did. We do plan to cut up the map into regions for convenience in fetching work materials, and then subsequently, for official releases.