The english Grandchildren of Manuel I of Portugal

1. November 10th in 1518
The tenth day of November in the Year of the Lord 1518 turned out to be a tearful day for Henry, King of England.

His dear wife Catherine first gave birth to another stillborn child, a tiny girl as it was and then died herself a few hours later, leaving her husband with only one living girlchild after a marriage of altogether nine years.

The search for a new bride for the twenty-seven year old King started already before the end of the same year, for the King desired a son as heir and even though his late wife had done her duty to him multiple times, all the sons which she had born him had been either stillborn or had died before they reached their first year of life.

Truly, he still had his daughter, a healthy child of two years now, but she was only a daughter and besides that, many a children died from childhood illnesses in such young years.

And so the search began.....

2. Second day of September 1520
He was standing for the first time in front of the real person of his bride instead of in front of her picture and was happy that she would soon and finally become his wife in just eight days.

She was certainly beautiful and her when she greeted him in English, he found that her Accent was very charming.

This young woman in front of him had not been his first choice for he had wanted her sister or her Cousins as wife, but the sister was waiting for the Spaniard or would like to choose a convent and the Cousins were already promised by their brother into other Marriages.

At first Henry had been irked by that, for her sister as first daughter would have brought even more of a dowry and the Cousins, even though only younger sisters themselves, might have nonetheless brought better political Power and pressure against France.

Now though, now that he was looking into her beautiful face, now he was quite satisfied that she was his bride, even though she the second daughter of her father and not the first.

The dowry had been after all extremely satisfying and it had been decided by her father to give as generous as for her older sister.

Oh beautiful Beatrice, not only would she bring him wonderful money and jewelry, but also her precious blood and the most noble ancestry.

What is Beatrice's dowry? Asti?
Money and jewelry...

Isabella of Portugal had a dowry of 900'000 Portuguese Cruzados as she married Carlos V.

Beatrice married Savoy in OTL and had surely been given significantly less than her older sister, but here she too is marrying a King, one who is also still young (her OTL husband was a couple years older than Henry) and thus her dowry will be quite close to Isabella's.

Her father was quite rich after all and also a lot more honest in paying his daughter's dowry, than Ferdinand of Aragon was.
OTL Asti came from Carlos V as a gift to his Sister-in-law...

Last edited:
Ah.
Then the dower she'd get is...well I suppose we will see
Not far off from the one of her older sister......so Beatrice will bring around 750'000 escudos plus countless pieces of jewelry with her.

Maybe some books and of course silks and other expensive cloth.

Last edited:
Not far off from the one of her older sister......so Beatrice will bring around 750'000 escudos plus countless pieces of jewelry with her.

Maybe some books and of course silks and other expensive cloth.
Dower as in what Beatrice herself would get if she were widowed

Oh boy. On the one hand, Katherine's death means that Henry has no reason to leave the Catholic church for an annulment. On the other hand, Beatrice only had one surviving son out of nine children OTL. But the thread title has 'grandchildren' so I'll assume she'll have better luck with Henry. Which presumably means no Anglican church.

Oh boy. On the one hand, Katherine's death means that Henry has no reason to leave the Catholic church for an annulment. On the other hand, Beatrice only had one surviving son out of nine children OTL. But the thread title has 'grandchildren' so I'll assume she'll have better luck with Henry. Which presumably means no Anglican church.
To be fair, grandchildren could be just daughters...

To be fair, grandchildren could be just daughters...
True! That would be a mess. Especially since Henry wouldn't have the excuse of saying that he shouldn't have married his brother's widow. And there'd be a lot more consequences to trying to frame and execute Beatrice than there was for Ann.

True! That would be a mess. Especially since Henry wouldn't have the excuse of saying that he shouldn't have married his brother's widow. And there'd be a lot more consequences to trying to frame and execute Beatrice than there was for Ann.
Perhaps Beatrice could be sent to a convent?
Albeit, that is a bit of a Catholic thing to do...although will he break with Rome ITTL?

Perhaps Beatrice could be sent to a convent?
Albeit, that is a bit of a Catholic thing to do...although will he break with Rome ITTL?
There is absolutely no way that Henry would execute Beatrice. And I don’t think a son is out of the question, though god knows she wasn’t particularly lucky with her children IOTL

I'm feeling kind of sorry for Beatrice. We have the benefit of hindsight and knowing the lengths Henry will go to for a male heir. She doesn't. Of course, she possibly never will if she's lucky and has a living son or two.

But if she does just have girls, Henry's got problems. No possible execution, I agree. No pretext for annulment (that I know of). I don't *think* the convent works that way. Like, Henry did ask Katherine to go to one OTL, but that was only possible because she could have said, 'yep I slept with your brother, our marriage is invalid, gonna go be a nun now, how fun with Ann.' Not that there was ever a chance of her agreeing to that, because she was Katherine of Aragon. I figure if forcing wives into nunneries was a Catholic-approved way to get a new wife regardless of circumstances, Henry would have done it to Katherine.

I'm feeling kind of sorry for Beatrice. We have the benefit of hindsight and knowing the lengths Henry will go to for a male heir. She doesn't. Of course, she possibly never will if she's lucky and has a living son or two.

But if she does just have girls, Henry's got problems. No possible execution, I agree. No pretext for annulment (that I know of). I don't *think* the convent works that way. Like, Henry did ask Katherine to go to one OTL, but that was only possible because she could have said, 'yep I slept with your brother, our marriage is invalid, gonna go be a nun now, how fun with Ann.' Not that there was ever a chance of her agreeing to that, because she was Katherine of Aragon. I figure if forcing wives into nunneries was a Catholic-approved way to get a new wife regardless of circumstances, Henry would have done it to Katherine.
You can't force a woman to be a nun because she can claim she was coerced into taking the vows and therefore they are invalid.
Well, at least Henry can remarry if she predeceases him...or he can ask "who will rid me of this troublesome wife"...