The British Republic 1918 onwards

Who do you in the first round of voting in the UK 1974 Presidential Election?

• Social Campaigner Mary Whitehouse/Pop Singer Cliff Richard (Christian Social Democratic Party)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I should add that Britian has devloped much the same as OTL, the country has been crippled by Strikes and there is much social and political unrest.

Before people vote, I think we should now the Story behind Britain turning into a Republic. Plus, I'm not sure, but with a pod of 1918, I doubt the same politicians of our time line's 1970s would be in roughly the same positions in this timeline.

I would have to vote for Wilson\Callaghan. I can't vote for Thorpe (he was a clown anyway), but I could've voted for Steel.

Background
President Edward Heath & VP James Prior who had suprised everyone by beating incumbent President Wilson four years ago were facing re-election in the most trying circumstances since the "Second Great War".

Through the Winter of 1973 and the early months of 1974 Heath was locked in a bitter battle with both the Cosnervative controlled Senate and the Labour Controlled "House of Congress". Stikes and power cuts were common place. Heath & Prior had been re-nominated at the Conservative Party convention in Blackpool in October 1973. This fact former Conservtaive Senator Enoch Powell from the West Midlands to leave the Party and announce his was running for the "Civil Peoples Alliance" and he chose former retired General Walter Walker as his running mate.

Former President Wilson although shocked by his defeat in 1970 ran again for the nomination beating out his own former Vice-President Roy Jenkins and Shirley Williams. He chose James Callaghan as his running mate.

For the Liberals Jeremy Thorpe again won the nomination and picked Congressman David Steel as his running mate.

In early 1974 with the situation getting worse, Social campaigner Mary Whitehouse was offered the nomination of the "Christian Social Democratic Party". The Party fightning its first election at the 1970 election with former Conservative Congressman John Biggs-Davision and a former Bishop Trevor Huddleston as his running mate they had picked only 2% of the national vote. Whitehouse was a big name who had railed against growing trends in the mass media for the explicit depiction of sexual and violent themes and attacks what she called a "breakdown of the moral fibre of the nation". In a massive suprise pop singer Cliff Richard who had joined the party in 1970 and had no political experience was chosen as Whitehouses Vice-President.

Election Day was Thursday May2nd 1974.