Past ten years with a Gore Presidency?

What if Gore won in 2000? Let's say Clinton campaigned for him in the south and he got more votes, enough to win, how would the past ten years have gone for America?

I ask because I just finished watching the movie W., and although I think most of it was fictional, I came to the conclusion that I dislike the outcome of the Bush presidency, and I'm curious as to what a Gore presidency would bring us over the past ten years.

Some specific questions:

1. First of all, and most importantly, would 9/11 have occurred under a Gore presidency, and if so, how would he have reacted?

2. Would be be in Afghanistan or Iraq with a 9/11?

3. How would he have handled the economic situation that would develop into the recession?

4. Would he run again in 2004, who would run against him, and would he win?

5. Finally, regardless of a two-term presidency or not, where would the US be in the present after the impact of a Gore presidency compared to OTL?

I'm not playing up Gore as to be an awesome replacement to Bush, just curious as to an alternate outcome for events after 2000 if Gore wins.

1. Probably. He would have reacted the Same way as Bush exept with a more Sane version of the Patriot Act
2.Afghanistan, yes. Iraq, No
3.Not sure
4. He will Run. The GOP will likley nominate McCain. Gore will probably lose as it is almost impossible for the same party to be elected Four times.
5. A little better, depends on how His successor does

1. First of all, and most importantly, would 9/11 have occurred under a Gore presidency, and if so, how would he have reacted?

Depends.Gore might have fallowed Clinton's lead, and put more effort into going after Bin Laden. I think the US did come close to catching him before 9/11, so maybe the attack could be stopped.

Doubtful, though a tough stand would probably still be taken against Hussein and the Taliban.

3. How would he have handled the economic situation that would develop into the recession?

Not sure on this one. I doubt much would change, although the economy might be a bit beter without the US stuck in two wars.

McCain probably gets the nomination, since he was the runnner up in 2000. he might stand a good chance of beating Gore, since the dems would have been in power for 12 years at that point. On the other hand, if the economy is good, then maybe Gore could pull off a victory. At any rate, we'd probably have a Republican in the White House now, McCain, or maybe Romney.

5. Finally, regardless of a two-term presidency or not, where would the US be in the present after the impact of a Gore presidency compared to OTL?

Gore would put a higher priority on the environment and climate change than Bush did. I'm not sure how that will translate into actaul policies though.

What if Gore won in 2000? Let's say Clinton campaigned for him in the south and he got more votes, enough to win, how would the past ten years have gone for America?

I ask because I just finished watching the movie W., and although I think most of it was fictional, I came to the conclusion that I dislike the outcome of the Bush presidency, and I'm curious as to what a Gore presidency would bring us over the past ten years.

Some specific questions:

Almost certainly. He likely would have reacted very weakly.

Neither, though he would have likely launched some cruise missiles and air strikes on Afghanistan following the Clinton era pattern.

Gore would push for rather draconian environmental legislation that would not be very helpful for the economy.

Yes and he would get beat by McCain.

The war on terror would have started four years later than in OTL in Afghanistan and perhaps in Iraq as well. There would likely have been some other terrorist strikes in the US during the Gore Presidency, btw.

I'm not playing up Gore as to be an awesome replacement to Bush, just curious as to an alternate outcome for events after 2000 if Gore wins.

Penelope

Banned
Almost certainly. He likely would have reacted very weakly.

Neither, though he would have likely launched some cruise missiles and air strikes on Afghanistan following the Clinton era pattern.

Gore would push for rather draconian environmental legislation that would not be very helpful for the economy.

Yes and he would get beat by McCain.

The war on terror would have started four years later than in OTL in Afghanistan and perhaps in Iraq as well. There would likely have been some other terrorist strikes in the US during the Gore Presidency, btw.

Where's the facepalm image when you need it?

Sorry dude, but 9/11 wasn't exactly on par with some African embassies. The American people (heck the civilized world) were shocked, pissed, and most importantly out for blood....that is all of us, conservatives, liberals, gays, women, black, white, men, straight...we collectively wanted to invade Afghanistan and crush Osama, Al-Qaeda and the Taliban. If you personally didn't, then you were in the minority (though your entitled to your opinion and in hindsight you might even have be right).

Gore would have invaded Afghanistan. Maybe not Iraq, in fact almost certainly not Iraq...but Afghanistan was fucked as soon as the first plane hit the tower.

NothingNow

Banned
He probably wouldn't have allowed so much deregulation, so it probably wouldn't have happened.

Much better off. The Economy wouldn't be in dire straits, The military wouldn't be in such bad shape, and we wouldn't ave half the debt we do now.

Now, now, don't go sniping at somebody who has a different view. Not everybody's a fan of the Democratic Party. Can't be helped.

As for the terrorist attack, it'll happen no matter whose in office. As for Afghanistan and Iraq; the latter, no. The former... he'd have to, the people would demand it. I don't think Gore could have avoided a war in Afghanistan, unless he made some sort of deal with the Taliban to have them turn over the terrorist leaders.

Wow, looks like from most of your comments that a Gore presidency might actually do us some good.

We wouldn't be in a war that we still technically are in right now, the economy would be much better if not stable, and less debt? Nice.

You've all fed my curiosity for AH-Presidency, thanks much for your input :D

Wow, looks like from most of your comments that a Gore presidency might actually do us some good.

We wouldn't be in a war that we still technically are in right now, the economy would be much better if not stable, and less debt? Nice.

You've all fed my curiosity for AH-Presidency, thanks much for your input :D

By the way, I really like your user-name. :)

I do find some of these responses interesting.

For example Gore not allowing deregulation when much of it occurred under Clinton.

Or the silly notion that *if only Gore were President 9/11 would not have happened*

Even if they caught Bin Laden (unlikely) that would not have stopped the teams already in the US for several years.

I think the space program would have quietly slid into a position similar to today's. No Constellation (indeed, no big Gore Space Initiative of any kind). The ISS was already up and running (part of it anyway). COTS was started during the Clinton Administration. On the plus side, no wasted billions (no Ares I). On the minus side, no Orion spacecraft (that still has a chance OTL).

NothingNow

Banned
I think the space program would have quietly slid into a position similar to today's. No Constellation (indeed, no big Gore Space Initiative of any kind). The ISS was already up and running (part of it anyway). COTS was started during the Clinton Administration. On the plus side, no wasted billions (no Ares I). On the minus side, no Orion spacecraft (that still has a chance OTL).
Nah, there'd likely be some sort of shuttle replacement coming down the pipeline.

For example Gore not allowing deregulation when much of it occurred under Clinton.
He Wouldn't have allowed the stuff that happened under Bush at least, and Heads would have rolled at Enron et al instead of that Golden Parachute bull shit.

By the way, I really like your user-name. :)

Haha thanks, pretty much use it for everything.

Or the silly notion that *if only Gore were President 9/11 would not have happened*

Even if they caught Bin Laden (unlikely) that would not have stopped the teams already in the US for several years.

The correct question I should have asked would've been "would 9/11 have succeeded/could it have been prevented".

There would no no Bush tax cuts on the very wealthy, if anything they would be focused on low and middle earners, so either the fiscal position would be substantially improved with much more debt paid down, or the low and middle clases would be noticeably better off.

Where's the facepalm image when you need it?
Ian should install a button just left of the quote one; something to tally facepalm points.

Current face palm point for that post, +2.

He probably wouldn't have allowed so much deregulation, so it probably wouldn't have happened.
But there would still be the deregulation already in place from the Reagan-Bush-Clinton era, and the brains behind the "Feel Good 90s" like Greenspan in power and respect. I doubt Gore would counteract that; he probably wouldn't add too it, at least in my opinion, and thus economic problems would be softer, but he wouldn't have gone against it I don't think.

NothingNow

Banned
But there would still be the deregulation already in place from the Reagan-Bush-Clinton era, and the brains behind the "Feel Good 90s" like Greenspan in power and respect. I doubt Gore would counteract that; he probably wouldn't add too it, at least in my opinion, and thus economic problems would be softer, but he wouldn't have gone against it I don't think.
Yeah. If anything it might be more like OTL's Savings and Loan crisis instead of what we have IOTL.

I'm sorry, remind me, which post stated that?

We can not dismiss the possiblity of a Gore invasion of Iraq.

Regime change was the policy of the US through both the first Bush and the Clinton Years. With 9-11 the threshold for military action by the US was greatly lowered. This would still occurr under Gore.

Gore would also have a diminished anti-war movement to slow him down (note how it has diminished under Obama).

As a democrate "leading" the country in war, the Republicans in congress might be even more supportive than the Democrates were OTL. Certainly won't be less supportive.

Also a lot of his enviromental extremisn occurred after his presidential loss, so no enviromental-want either.