Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

What if all Roman Empeores followed the philosophy of Markus Aurelius?
This may result in Rome having its own Confucianism analog. Perhaps as time goes on, Stoicism would be more and more popular, leading to other elements of the Roman government to follow it.
I wonder if this’d lead to Christianity being Romes Daoism analog.

Speaking of which, any rec TLs about Rome turning into a state similar to China?

Last edited:
What if Maine goes, or is kept by, Canada? Would that be one of Canada's most populous area? How would it change Canadian-American relations?

What if Maine goes, or is kept by, Canada? Would that be one of Canada's most populous area? How would it change Canadian-American relations?
In a word, no.
The only way the population could be that large is if loyalist flee to Maine rather than Upper Canada, or New Brunswick, which is possible, but there is no reason to since both the other location are more established.

Maine's northern border wasn't that formal until after the 1930s, so there is a good chance a lot of northern Maine could have stayed Canadian.

here's a thought, what if henry ford became a horologist? he got his start working on clocks, what if he stuck to that field? possibly inventing the steam clock

probably couldn't happen

Elaborate, please?

As is, I take it you're referring to geography being in the way. Italy may have full access to the Med (potentially allowing it to be a regional hegemon), but not the natural oceanic access Britain, Portugal, or Spain had when building global empires of their own.

Last edited:
Elaborate, please?

As is, I take it you're referring to geography being in the way. Italy may have full access to the Med (potentially allowing it to be a regional hegemon), but not the natural oceanic access Britain, Portugal, or Spain had when building global empires of their own.
italy simply doesn't have the industry to have an empire, unless they already had one

How could the East India Company have been nationalised sooner than 1858, as it was in our timeline?
If Clive's 1757 adventure in Bengal had failed, the company's trajectory would have been very different. I could see the British parliament coming to the conclusion that the board of directors was incompetent and had to be replaced by direct government control.
IIRC Warren Hastings actually had to go through an impeachment trial sometime in the 1780s or 90s relating to corruption in the Bengal presidency.

Last edited:
I'm drafting a timeline/conworld off-site about Japan converting to Christianity under an Oda shogunate. Plausibility reservations aside, I want to have Christianity spread more or less peacefully from Japan to Korea (but not to China or further into East Asia, I'm not trying to make a Christianity-wank in the region). How could I do this without imperialism, "crusades" (not that they would happen in a Christian Japan anyway, but some people seem to really like the idea), invasions, colonialism, or otherwise some sort of oppression of Korea by Japan, like what we saw IOTL? My goal is to have Japan and Korea as equal allies (with a shared adherance to Christianity), creating an interesting detraction from OTL and many other timelines (where, respectfully, it seems to be a very common theme for Japan to aggress Korea and for the two to despise one another).

Feel free to answer LibPrime's question up top first if you wish. They posted first, after all; it's only fair.

I'm drafting a timeline/conworld off-site about Japan converting to Christianity under an Oda shogunate. Plausibility reservations aside, I want to have Christianity spread more or less peacefully from Japan to Korea (but not to China or further into East Asia, I'm not trying to make a Christianity-wank in the region). How could I do this without imperialism, "crusades" (not that they would happen in a Christian Japan anyway, but some people seem to really like the idea), invasions, colonialism, or otherwise some sort of oppression of Korea by Japan, like what we saw IOTL? My goal is to have Japan and Korea as equal allies (with a shared adherance to Christianity), creating an interesting detraction from OTL and many other timelines (where, respectfully, it seems to be a very common theme for Japan to aggress Korea and for the two to despise one another).

Feel free to answer LibPrime's question up top first if you wish. They posted first, after all; it's only fair.
If I were you I’d study how Islam became dominant in parts of India/South East Asia.

Korea can't convert peacefully since Joseon Korea was a neo-Confucian theocracy and unlike Japan was fairly stable (bloody literati purges aside). So there would need to be an invasion, which would mean a war with China, but if Japan plays their cards right they could back a Christian faction in some revolt, who would probably end up overthrowing Joseon and starting their own kingdom. Although there was IIRC a Catholic Joseon prince who was killed for his faith, so Joseon might survive in some form, but it would probably be under a military dictator (akin to Goryeo) who would be the leader of the revolt and the prince a mere figurehead who would eventually be disposed of (Joseon's founder also planned on a dictatorship but found it easier to crown himself king instead).
If I were you I’d study how Islam became dominant in parts of India/South East Asia.
That model would take a serious wank of the strength of the Christian daimyo (mostly in Kyushu and adjacent areas) so that conversion becomes appealing to the Oda.

If Philip von Habsburg, Duke of Burgundy died in 1492-ish, would it be possible that Maximilian marries Juana of Aragon or one her sisters in hopes of producing a son?

If Philip von Habsburg, Duke of Burgundy died in 1492-ish, would it be possible that Maximilian marries Juana of Aragon or one her sisters in hopes of producing a son?
Not really as both Juana and Maria would be too young for being marriageable… plus Philip dying before late 1493 would be a disaster for the Habsburg as Margaret was still captive in France and she would become Duchess of Burgundy.
Bianca Maria Sforza would be already old enough for childbirth and with a much better dowry