Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't actually think it's that infeasible.
Turkey rebuilding the Ottoman Empire would have to contend with other states not being entirely in favour of being reduced to becoming Turkish satellites.

I don't believe that monarchism in China has any real support whatsoever. IMO, the real question is how long Xi Jinping is going to remain in office.

16ALTHITALY.png

Pink is the Savoyard Duchy of Friborgo
Green algae is the Serene Republic of Venice
Light green is Viceroyalty of Naples, Sicily and Sardinia
Beige is the Papal States
Gold is the former Marguisate Montferrat which became the Grand (peasant) Republic of Paleologia in the 1530s INSTEAD of going to Gonzagas.

WWII but the System Crashed Midway Through

I have zero clue as to why I made this map and what the lore behind it is. Initially I was aiming for "What if Italy and Germany were equals in World War Two?" but it ended up becoming its own thing. The Axis didn't attack the Soviet Union but won almost everywhere else somehow, also Portugal is a personal union with Spain for some reason? Nothing in this map makes sense.

RandomWWIIMap_Cropped.png

Last edited:
WWII but the System Crashed Midway Through

I have zero clue as to why I made this map and what the lore behind it is. Initially I was aiming for "What if Italy and Germany were equals in World War Two?" but it ended up becoming its own thing. The Axis didn't attack the Soviet Union but won almost everywhere else somehow, also Portugal is a personal union with Spain for some reason? Nothing in this map makes sense.

View attachment 735457
ngl this could be a very interesting TL. I like it

Turkey rebuilding the Ottoman Empire would have to contend with other states not being entirely in favour of being reduced to becoming Turkish satellites.

I don't believe that monarchism in China has any real support whatsoever. IMO, the real question is how long Xi Jinping is going to remain in office.
Climate change will sadly ravage the Middle East. If Turkey dams the Euphrates and Tigris then Iraq and Syria would suffer greatly. The Kurds are an important wild-factor, however. After the undoubtable unrest and violence that will be caused by climate change (IIRC, the Syrian Civil War was prompted by a drought), democracy might lose support and people turn to the 'last Caliphs' for a strongman leadership.

Regarding China, once the CCP inevitably falls, all bets are off. Republicans, monarchists etc. all have a shot at taking power.

Regarding China, once the CCP inevitably falls, all bets are off. Republicans, monarchists etc. all have a shot at taking power.
The issue is that monarchism isn’t even a niche ideology in China. Republicans, yes. That’s at least conceivable with the current Chinese zeitgeist. But monarchy? The Qing emperors are largely seen as a failure (or at least, not something to be aspired to).

Sure, it’s not impossible that the government succeeding CCP rule is a monarchy. It’s also not impossible for the next US president to be a muslim and for Saudi Arabia to reform to the point that it becomes the standard bearer for LGBT rights in the middle east. That doesn’t make either all that plausible.

The issue is that monarchism isn’t even a niche ideology in China. Republicans, yes. That’s at least conceivable with the current Chinese zeitgeist. But monarchy? The Qing emperors are largely seen as a failure (or at least, not something to be aspired to).

The general ideology of monarchism is unpopular with the masses. However, it is not difficult for a charismatic, popular dictator to successfully crown himself.

Wasn't the church a significant landowner in most European states?

It makes sense that at least some of them would be elevated to imperial immediacy, if no suitable secular prince could be found.

Both County Durham and Ely (the northern half of Cambridgeshire) were effectively Prince Bishoprics within England, for instance.

True, but the HRE was on a whole other level compared to France, Spain or England when it came to the scale and independence of its clerical holdings. [1] Clerically governed areas in a map of France in the 14th century are barely noticeable unless the map maker makes a real effort to highlight them: that's certainly not the case with the HRE!

[1] Out of curiosity, how were Prince-Bishops appointed in the HRE after 1648?

This feels like a statement that applies more to a Hoi4 mod then real life, and to be frank I'm not betting on the PRC collapsing any time sooner then any of its contemporaries.

The general ideology of monarchism is unpopular with the masses. However, it is not difficult for a charismatic, popular dictator to successfully crown himself.
Offhand, can't think of any besides Bokassa doing so in the 20th century, and he was hardly a populist figure. Even the Kims, who are for all purpose a hereditary absolute monarchy, don't give themselves a royal title.

Offhand, can't think of any besides Bokassa doing so in the 20th century, and he was hardly a populist figure.

In the 20th century, there was also Zog I of Albania, who was relatively successful before Mussolini invaded.

Even the Kims, who are for all purpose a hereditary absolute monarchy, don't give themselves a royal title.

The distinction between a de jure hereditary monarchy and a de facto hereditary monarchy can be rather meaningless at times. The Roman Empire still claimed to be a republic for several centuries after its creation.

Status
Not open for further replies.