Map Contest Two: Discussion

Thande

Donor
Problem was I first wrote "Great Britain" and then thought "Oh shi... I still wanted to note the nuke sites"So I had to put them inbetween the text :D
I thought it was something like that ;) I'd have just changed the other nuke site to Leicester or Lincoln or something :D

Agree with Diamond, btw - to say you're not a regular contributor to the Map Thread, that's a kickarse map.

Susano

Banned
Gracias, Gracias, thats a high praise coming from you two ;) Took me long enough. And its uncomfortable in the Uni Library when you sit there changing maps and people could, theoretically, look at your screen...

Thande

Donor
Gracias, Gracias, thats a high praise coming from you two ;) Took me long enough. And its uncomfortable in the Uni Library when you sit there changing maps and people could, theoretically, look at your screen...

:D :D :D

Oh, that's a funny mental image :D

I mean, couldn't you even be prosecuted for putting that swastika flag in the middle? :rolleyes:

Susano

Banned
Strictly speaking? Yes, strictly speaking what I did was illegal, both the swastika flag and the SS rune flag (I think... thgis is rather entertainment than education here, after all...) Its just that I dont give a fig about German censorship laws :p And the flags were added at home anyways ;)

Thande

Donor
Strictly speaking? Yes, strictly speaking what I did was illegal, both the swastika flag and the SS rune flag. Its just that I dont give a fig about German censorship laws :p And the flags were added at home anyways ;)
You do right. As the Americans argue in all the gun ownership debates, if swastikas are outlawed then only outlaws will draw swastikas (er...)

It drives me mad, those German-made WW2 games (like Desert Rats vs Afrika Korps) in which the Nazi flag is always shown with a WW1-style Maltese cross instead of a swastika because of the censorship laws... :rolleyes:

Two catogories seem to dominae this one; World Maps, and European Maps. (They probably will dominate the competetion given the likely nature of the PODs) Maybe we should get these looked at as subcatogories.

Things I've noticed; The Soviet Union is always red, and almost the same red in every case.

In the World maps use of the Universal color scheme is most prevelent.(with no to minor adjustments)

Almost all the Nazi victorious maps have the same chunks from all over Europe, with a varying stance on how much is taken from Russia, or what it is used for... (Exception goes to Highlander's map, which I really like)

I'd also like to instutite an unoffical Cartographer's Choice Award. Where those competeing vote on their favorite map. Could be spiffy...

Two catogories seem to dominae this one; World Maps, and European Maps. (They probably will dominate the competetion given the likely nature of the PODs) Maybe we should get these looked at as subcatogories.

Things I've noticed; The Soviet Union is always red, and almost the same red in every case.

In the World maps use of the Universal color scheme is most prevelent.(with no to minor adjustments)

Almost all the Nazi victorious maps have the same chunks from all over Europe, with a varying stance on how much is taken from Russia, or what it is used for... (Exception goes to Highlander's map, which I really like)

I'd also like to instutite an unoffical Cartographer's Choice Award. Where those competeing vote on their favorite map. Could be spiffy...

aye, I guess due to the nature of the challenge, many maps would share similar aspects. It is a bit disapointing to see the Universal colour scheme being used so freqently.

hmm, that is an interesting and excelent idea Othniel.

Susano

Banned
Well, yes, naturally. WW2 was fought in Europe, and in the Pacific. The situation in the Pacific is not as complex, though, and more foreign to Europeans, of course, so most will choose to focus on Europe. Hence, the most direct results will be there, and the map maker must choose wether elsewhere in the world there were enough changes to warrant the loss of detail that naturally goes with using a world map.

Well, in real maps the SU is always red, too, and that it is the same red is most likely due to everybody using MSPaint Red :D As for the second, that might be because everybody uses the same base? Originality is good and fine, but there is also plausibility to consider on the other side!

Thande

Donor
Well, in real maps the SU is always red, too, and that it is the same red is most likely due to everybody using MSPaint Red :D As for the second, that might be because everybody uses the same base? Originality is good and fine, but there is also plausibility to consider on the other side!
Actually in my experience it's always green on contemporary maps (as opposed to modern illustrative maps of the Cold War) - presumably because that's as far from red as you can get :D

Good idea, Oth.

Susano

Banned
Actually in my experience it's always green on contemporary maps (as opposed to modern illustrative maps of the Cold War) - presumably because that's as far from red as you can get :D

Actually, in the map key of most historical atl... what is the plural of atlas in English? Atlants?... and maps green is the colour of Russia, so maybe those maps you describe want to emphasise the Russian/Soviet continuity :p

Thande

Donor
Actually, in the map key of most historical atl... what is the plural of atlas in English? Atlants?... and maps green is the colour of Russia, so maybe those maps you describe want to emphasise the Russian/Soviet continuity :p
That may be why also ;) And it's 'atlases'. I recall some people complaining that atlases published in this country sometimes continued to use elements of the Empire colour scheme for former colonies well into the 90s...

Susano

Banned
That may be why also ;) And it's 'atlases'. I recall some people complaining that atlases published in this country sometimes continued to use elements of the Empire colour scheme for former colonies well into the 90s...

What subtle form of imperialism. Surely, that is a secret sign of the British Freemasons to recolonialise Africa and have a huge genocide there :D
Hm, no special plural then, good (it has in German).

Glen

What subtle form of imperialism. Surely, that is a secret sign of the British Freemasons to recolonialise Africa and have a huge genocide there :D
Hm, no special plural then, good (it has in German).

Are you implying that the Queen is responsible for AIDS?!?:eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

Highlander

Banned

I noticed that as well, and tried to change what colors were used for different countries.

Glad you like it :)

Cartographer's Choice Rules then.. tell me if you agree with these;

Anyone that praticpated in the map challange round may have one vote.

You may not vote for your own map. (Thats just arogant)

An award of some type should be given, prehaps a ribbon stating the Contest name, round #, participants name, and Cartographers Choice.

Catogorical Awards like 'Best European', or 'Best World Map' can be added onto to voting phase if agreeed to be participents. (Or even joke awards like Most orginal use of the Univerisal Colour Scheme, and Least Alien Space Bats)

Voting should be done in such a manner that it neither influences the judges or is influenced by the judges. Prehaps by having a ballet type voting (after the contest closes)where the winner is annouced after the judges announce their choice.

Any others? Revisions prehaps?

Cartographer's Choice Rules then.. tell me if you agree with these;

Anyone that praticpated in the map challange round may have one vote.

You may not vote for your own map. (Thats just arogant)

An award of some type should be given, prehaps a ribbon stating the Contest name, round #, participants name, and Cartographers Choice.

Catogorical Awards like 'Best European', or 'Best World Map' can be added onto to voting phase if agreeed to be participents. (Or even joke awards like Most orginal use of the Univerisal Colour Scheme, and Least Alien Space Bats)

Voting should be done in such a manner that it neither influences the judges or is influenced by the judges. Prehaps by having a ballet type voting (after the contest closes)where the winner is annouced after the judges announce their choice.

Any others? Revisions prehaps?

Do you mean after each round, or at the end of the contest? I suggest doing such a thing at the end of the entire contest, rather then each round.