Maid of Norway, Queen of Scotland: A Plantagenet Britain Timeline

The Queen is in England! I hope her and young Edouard get along! Maybe they'll have some good times smirking at how the adults want to spend all their time plotting and scheming...

August 1293. Mangerton, Border Between Scotland and England.

Edmund of Almain could hear the water rushing through the Liddel as the grand procession approached them, the sun beating down on the English awaiting the Scottish’s pleasure. It was a warm and damp day, which made it even more unbearable. The air was suffocating and Edmund pressed a handkerchief to his forehead, which was covered in sweat.

He stepped forward when the procession stopped, the two riders ahead staring at them. One was taller than all of them, with a stern face covered in a trimmed brown beard, wearing a brown cloak pinned to his chest with a silver bow. He bowed his head in agreement, but did not dismount and Edmund did not miss how he kept a hand close to the sword at his waist. He shook his head. Scots, he thought. Such untrusting people.

The first carriage opened as a servant came to offer a hand for the occupants. Edmund observed as three little girls climbed out, all of them wearing veils. They were accompanied by a thin and weedy woman, who seemed especially attentive to one of them and their eyes came to look at him, as the clear leader of the English entourage and he stepped even closer.

The three little girls were as different as children could be, of differing heights and faces. One had bushy red brows and a freckled face with a pair of emerald-green eyes, while another was tall and thin, with brown eyes and olive skin.

The third one, holding the hand of the woman attending them, seemed to be the complete opposite of them, with fair and flawless skin and blue-green eyes, her barely-there eyebrows clearly blonde in the sunlight. She wore a red and yellow dress and there was a golden circlet over her veil, clearly marking her as the Queen of Scotland. Edmund fell to his knees.

“My lady Margaret,” he said. “It’s a pleasure to meet, at last, the great Queen of Scots.” He spoke in French, a language he knew she had been learning since the days of her early infancy in Norway with her father. She smiled primly and curtsied softly. “I am Edmund of Almain, cousin to our lord, King Edward, and I’m happy to have been trusted with receiving you.”

“I’m pleased to meet you, Lord Edmund,” said the little queen.

But her governess tugged at her hand. “This is Lord Cornwall, my lady,” she said, not unkindly. "Our greeter is an earl in his own right.

"Oh!" The Queen flushed prettily. She twisted her lips and looked back at Edmund. “Forgive me, my lord of Cornwall.”

“It’s alright, my lady,” he said. “If it pleases Her Grace, you may call me Edmund.”

“Very well!” she piped up in a high and excited voice. “Would you like to meet my friends, Edmund?” She grabbed his hand though and before he could respond, the little queen was already gesturing to the freckled and stout young maiden. “This is Mary Bruce. Her grandfather is the 5th Lord of Annandale and her mother was a countess in her own right!” Edmund smiled and nodded in acknowledgement of young Mary Bruce, who seemed to be the same age, or slightly younger, than her mistress. But the Queen pulled him closer to the tall and skinny olive-skinned girl, who bowed deeply. “And this is Elsbeth Comyn. She is already married!” The Queen made a face. “I suppose that means she is Elsbeth Bruce now.”

The girl could not be much older than twelve, but Edmund said nothing. He remembered the bold Queen Eleanor, who married her husband at just thirteen. There were certainly younger brides around the world, though that did not mean they were to be made to do a woman’s duty before they were sixteen. Everyone knew younger mothers were a danger to both themselves and the child they carried.

“My lady,” he said. “I was unaware that I was in the presence of a married woman.” Young Elsbeth smiled and bowed again.

At that moment, more lords and ladies from Scotland dismounted or exited their own carriages and Edmund felt a foreboding rise deep in his stomach. There were so many of them. Were they to be overrun by northerners?

He looked back at the little queen. “My lady, there are rooms made ready for you and your household,” he said, gesturing behind him. She stepped closer to him and Edmund held his breath as she finally crossed that invisible line that seemed to divide so many. The border between two proud nations. “Allow me to finally say: Welcome to England.”
Really loving this timeline, keep it up!

Another great chapter! Margaret is precious and must be protected at all costs! I hope her and Prince Edward get along well!

God the wait is killing me lol, I want the two to meet already lol. I’m curious as to how Prince Edward will react and what King Edward is thinking and planning.

Another great chapter! Margaret is precious and must be protected at all costs! I hope her and Prince Edward get along well!

God the wait is killing me lol, I want the two to meet already lol. I’m curious as to how Prince Edward will react and what King Edward is thinking and planning.
You'll have to wait more. I haven't written a word of this in around two weeks. Next week, the final chapter I had will be posted here and then it's off to waiting again.

You'll have to wait more. I haven't written a word of this in around two weeks. Next week, the final chapter I had will be posted here and then it's off to waiting again.
Noooo!!! You're as bad as wcv215 with his epic Byzantine TL. I had to wait on a cliffhanger right after the whole situation with Romanos the Mad. 🤣

Oh nooo! How long does that mean!

Just curious not trying to be pressuring, legitimately just curious on the time scale tning. Absolutely want you to focus on writing and take your time and all as that allows the best quality to come out and you should take all the time you need!

Big mood, as the youths say.

I am lurking the thread and wanted to just pop in and mention how I'm very much enjoying this timeline.

Oh nooo! How long does that mean!

Just curious not trying to be pressuring, legitimately just curious on the time scale tning. Absolutely want you to focus on writing and take your time and all as that allows the best quality to come out and you should take all the time you need!
It's more because I'm focusing on writing a chapter for my ASOIAF au on ao3 and they're always super long.

Chapter XIII - A Summer's Poem
thank you to @FriendlyGhost for the poem!

August 1293. Alnwick, England.

Elsbeth was expected to sit with her husband’s family at the dinner. And Mary Bruce was not welcome at the high seats, possibly because, unlike Margaret, she was not a queen. Then there was Christina Bruce, now Comyn, who was ill with some kind of fever, which was why they had to stop at Alnwick, where they were now being feasted by the Percy family.

A servant placed a platter of pork before her. Margaret waited a moment before one of her attendants cut up the meat, picking up her goblet of water. She had food tasters, to be certain that her food was not poisoned, and she had to wait for them to give their approval. As they did, she began to dig into the meat and a young man in the employ of the Percies stood up, extending his goblet forward.

“Let us raise our cups to the gracious lady Margaret,” he said. “Now Queen of Scots. Tomorrow, Queen of England.” The people clapped excitedly, though some, most of whom were English, looked around them nervously. They were thankful that Queen Yolande was not present for she would not enjoy such a comment if she were to hear it.

Another man, this one taller and skinnier, stood up as well. “I have a poem,” he declared. “For our darling Lady Margaret.” Margaret herself adjusted in her seat, excited at the idea. No one had ever written poems for her before, as far as she knew.

The man smiled and began to say, in a soft and bell-like voice, much similar to a song, ’t was on a summer evening,

When all the leaves were green,

Then came the Maid of Scots to us,

To be Lord Edward’s queen.

The delight her coming did import,

Is far too great for me to tell,

As came she to her Lord consort,

We all did fall under her spell.

As his fair queen he did espy,

Lord Edward gladly welcomed she,

“Welcome! Welcome!” was heard his cry,

Receiving her most generously.

More courtly maiden there was none,

A gleaming mantle she did wear,

Her diadem with splendour shone,

Never saw we queen so fair.

That gracious girl, so fair, so small,

So beautiful, so seeming slight,

Royally clad, with gems and all,

Adorned with many pearls bright.

Her features pale as ivory shone,

Her shoulders, all unbound, lay light,

Like burnished gold her tresses on,

That gleams anew in day’s sunlight.

Her gorgeous dress and its decor,

Its pearls and silver gleaming bright,

I judge no tongue e'er found before

Words to describe that glorious sight.

The people clapped excitedly when he finished and Margaret smiled, wondering if this was how England would always be.

Windsor Castle, England.

The water was warm and sweet-smelling, tinged with oils and herbs to assist her in her work. Edward sighed and closed his eyes, the people moving fluidly around them, as Yolande worked despite the belly, accepting the sponge offered by a servant. Her hands were kind as they rubbed his feet, washing them thoroughly.

The King opened his eyes again and gestured for the advisor to step closer. The man did so with a formal bow, hands clasped at his front. “The Queen of Scots has entered into York this past week and we may expect her in London before October comes, for the planned celebrations.”

Edward nodded. “Inform my son’s guardian that the Prince is to wear his best clothes to the first official meeting,” he said. “He will not meet his wife dressed in a pauper’s garments.” The King hummed sarcastically as Yolande took out a small blade to trim his nails. Her stomach was large and protruding forward, a sign that he ought to have insisted in his refusal for the ceremony, even though Yolande wanted to. “He will like that. He has always been too focused on fashion and jewels.”

Before the advisor could respond, Yolande snorted and Edward looked at her.

“You don’t agree?” he questioned with a hint of acidity in his voice. Yolande raised her dark blue eyes to look at him and smiled sweetly, setting the blade aside. Edward placed his feet back at the bowl full of water, even as his wife sat back on her heels.

“The Prince is merely a sensitive boy,” said his wife. “He strives to please you and wear the dignities afforded to him as future King of Scots.”

“If he wished to please me, he’d do better,” said Edward. It was hard to be proud of Édouard. The boy had more water on his head than sense. It was why he insisted on remarrying, on fathering a new child so quickly. To have a second son that could be trusted with the duties of government if Édouard was found lacking. “He prefers poetry over swordplay.”

“He lost his mother,” said Yolande. “I beg of you, husband, to be kinder to him. He only needs more opportunities, more patience.”

Edward made a face. “Your womanly heart is generous, I’ll admit.” A servant handed a towel to his wife and she gestured for him to place them in her lap, where she could dry them gently.

“Perhaps the Prince will be more encouraged to be the perfect son when he sees the Scots,” said the queen. “To see them peaking in the abilities that he lacks will surely encourage him to do better.”

“Perhaps,” said Edward. He had to admit that the idea was likely. “We’ll have to see, of course.” The idea was for them to meet in the outskirts of London, with the little queen bringing a retinue of foreign attendants as his own mother did in her time. There would be a private, rather informal meeting for the standards of the time, so neither Édouard nor the Queen would feel cornered and uneasy.

He hoped they would like each other. If they didn’t, life would be much harder for both of them.

I'm sorry if the chapter seems emotionless. In two weeks, I'll graduate university and it feels like all my emotions are spent in the bus trip for work.

Huh, Yolande is actually talking some sense into Edward sr. when it comes to Ed jr. - Maybe there is hope for family harmony between her and the kids after all

I'm sorry if the chapter seems emotionless. In two weeks, I'll graduate university and it feels like all my emotions are spent in the bus trip for work.
It doesn't seem emotionless at all - maybe the emotion's less obvious than in other chapters, but it's still there. I enjoyed it (and not just because of the poem ;) ).
Congratulations on your upcoming graduation.