In a universe where South Africa falls to communist blacks in 1960s and millions of Afrikaners flee to southern US how south it impact civil rights?

Unless your TL includes a major change in the attitude of the US government, I don't think the US would accept a large number of South African refugees. Johnson's immigration reform bill was specifically designed to move away from racially focused quotas and emphasize immigration of people with specialized skills or relatives already in the U.S. Most white South Africans wouldn't qualify on either count.

True, but what about the Cold War angle? I don't think most of the Southeast Asian refugees who settled here in the '70s had specialized skills, and I know that almost none of them had relatives in the US. If the South Africans are fleeing a new communist regime, some allowances may be made as they were for Vietnamese, Hmong, Cambodian, etc. immigrants.

The Afrikaners in SA have had no cultural contact with Netherlands In close to 200 years. They be strangers in Netherlands and speak a different language. Be like Italians and french
After the annexation of the Transvaal a third of their clergy left for the Netherlands, as they had Dutch passports as well. After WW2 thousands of Dutch migrants went to SA as well. So ’no contact for 200 years’ is simply not true. Even resistance to Apartheid didnt really pick up untill the eighties.

True, but what about the Cold War angle? I don't think most of the Southeast Asian refugees who settled here in the '70s had specialized skills, and I know that almost none of them had relatives in the US. If the South Africans are fleeing a new communist regime, some allowances may be made as they were for Vietnamese, Hmong, Cambodian, etc. immigrants.
The US accepted Vietnamese refugees because they supported us during the Vietnam War. This would not be the case for South Africa, and being seen to support the apartheid government would hand a propaganda victory to the Soviets.

The US accepted Vietnamese refugees because they supported us during the Vietnam War. This would not be the case for South Africa, and being seen to support the apartheid government would hand a propaganda victory to the Soviets.

Good point. I'm not familiar with OP's TL, so I wasn't sure if the US had supported South Africa's government against the communist rebels or not.

Lusitania

Donor
Thank you. Everyone for the information.

This has provided me with some much appreciated information I can use in my TL.

To answer a few questions, yes the US supported the Afrikaner government till they turned on the Africans for supporting the United faction in the civil war. As images filled the screen of massacres public mood swung against the Afrikaners. The federation attacked the Afrikaners to stop their attacks on blacks and in doing so weaken them to point the black revolt defeated the remains Afrikaner forces. The federation overstretched and having just fought two other coalitions and in need of troops elsewhere abandoned SA and withdrew leaving SA to itself.

The whites left SA as ANC and Zulus took over. So now the work has to deal with millions of refugees. With everyone help I can fine tune their destiny and have a better understanding of both where they end up and their impact to the receiving countries.

Any more questions please visit lusophone world. Obrigado.

It really depends on the level of Ethnic-Cleansing and inter community violence that occurs less so than wether or not Afrikaaners make up a sizeable population anywhere.

The modern end of Apartheid was basically a miracle. It showed you can liberate an oppressed group without them seeking to murder you as comeuppance later on. If it ends in violence it has the same effect on the cultural zeitgeist as the Haitian revolution did in Antebellum USA.

There was a quote I half remember from a Roman/Greek philosopher. “Never free a slave for they will never forget what you did to them”. Apartheid proved that wrong IOTL but will probably be considered a valid sentiment ITTL. (Also if anyone knows what the actual quote is that would be useful)

Last edited: