If World War II Never Happened: A FIFA World Cup Timeline

I would argue that no WW2 would produce so many butterflies Keegan, Maradona, Rossi etc would not be born and/or be playing football, however as we have discussed before if our author wants the world close to OTL they can.
I don't see how the absence of WW2 would lead to them not being born. Couldn't you make that case about basically any player? Should I "invent" completely new squads for every single national team at every tournament? In that case, I could just make up almost any new "balance of power" in world football depending on what I feel. Decide that Sweden would be the best team in the world for two decades, etc. It just feels unfeasible and defeats the point of this ATL.

If thr Falkland Wars still happen, then there would have been some rigging during the drawing of teams in which IIRC, England and Argentina were IOTL 1982 WC deliberately kept far apart in the draw in which the only way they could have met is if they both reached the final. Thankfully for FIFA that never happened though the thought of an England vs Argentina final in 1982 with the Falklands War having just finished would have been a nightmare scenario for FIFA as who knows how that would have turned out.

Would have thought that FIFA would have done something similar here to keep them on different sides of the draw but alas there we are.

If thr Falkland Wars still happen, then there would have been some rigging during the drawing of teams in which IIRC, England and Argentina were IOTL 1982 WC deliberately kept far apart in the draw in which the only way they could have met is if they both reached the final. Thankfully for FIFA that never happened though the thought of an England vs Argentina final in 1982 with the Falklands War having just finished would have been a nightmare scenario for FIFA as who knows how that would have turned out.

Would have thought that FIFA would have done something similar here to keep them on different sides of the draw but alas there we are.
Though Sports Minister Neil MacFarlane suggested that there should be "no sporting contact with Argentina" mere days after Argentina's invasion on 2 April 1982, that was well over two months after the World Cup draw was conducted. Unless there was a second draw I'm unaware of, it's not possible that it was rigged to keep Argentina and the British teams apart. To be fair, tensions were high between Argentina and the United Kingdom when the draw was conducted in January despite no war having broken out, but I don't think mere "political tension" is enough. There is no hard evidence that the 1982 World Cup draw was rigged to keep Argentina and the British teams apart.

Last edited:
Prelude to UEFA Euro 1984
Part 45 - In the Kick of Time
Prelude to UEFA Euro 1984

The format remained unchanged, with each group winner and runner-up advancing to a knockout stage to decide the winner. France were awarded hosting rights unopposed [1] on 10 December 1981, becoming the first country to host more than one European Championship after also staging the 1960 edition of the tournament.

Yugoslavia withdrew before playing any qualifying matches due to the breakout of war, despite originally being drawn into qualifying Group 4 with Bulgaria, Estonia [2], Norway and Wales on 8 January 1982.

In the nick of time, Spain crucially obliterated Malta 12-1 (!) on the final matchday to earn just the goal difference needed to qualify over the Netherlands. Reigning champions England notably missed out on a spot too. Hungary, Poland and world champions Italy were other absentees worth mentioning. Sweden and Portugal made their Euro debuts, while Denmark qualified for the first time since 1964. Wales returned after missing the 1980 tournament.

Let me know your group stage predictions:
euro 1984 groups.png

-------------
[1] West Germany also bid in OTL, but they would have almost certainly not done so here due to hosting the 1976 Euros in TTL.
[2] Keep in mind that the Baltic states remained independent in TTL.

That’s a… very unique lineup of squads, that’s for sure.

The 8 team format giveth; the 8 team format taketh. France takes it on home soil

UEFA Euro 1984 - Group Stage
Part 46 - Concede Victory
UEFA Euro 1984 - Group Stage

Hosts France conceded a late equalizer to drop points against Denmark in the opener, but obliterated Belgium 5-0 before edging out Wales 2-1 to top Group 1. Denmark enjoyed similar success, brushing aside Wales 3-0 with unexpected ease and defeating Belgium 3-1 on the final matchday. Belgium's opening 1-0 win versus Wales was not enough for advancement. Just like at the 1976 tournament, Wales failed to pick up a single point.

1984 group 1.png

Group 1 of UEFA Euro 1984.

Portugal's goalless draw with Germany was followed by a 1-1 stalemate with neighbours Spain. However, a 1-0 triumph over fellow debutants Sweden ultimately ensured the Portuguese finished in first. Spain initially suffered a surprising 2-1 loss to Sweden, but advanced on goals scored as the runner-up thanks to a 90th-minute goal against Germany, who would have needed to defeat Sweden by a larger margin than 2-1 in order to reach the semi-finals.

1984 group 2.png

Group 2 of UEFA Euro 1984.

Tell me your knockout stage predictions:
1984 knockout 1.png

UEFA Euro 1984 - Knockout Stage
Part 47 - Our Day of Glory Has Arrived

After a goalless first half, hosts France opened the scoring in the second one before doubling their lead in the dying minutes to reach their maiden Euro final. The second semi-final saw Denmark go in front in just the seventh minute, but a Portuguese equalizer 29 minutes into the second half ended up sending the match to extra time, where the debutants capitalized on their newfound momentum to go in front in the 98th minute. However, the Danes were far from down and out, finding the 2-2 goal in the 117th minute to send the match to penalties. Portugal proved to be more potent from eleven metres, reaching their first Euro final at the first time of asking.

A first-time champion was gonna be crowned. That was inevitable, as was Michel Platini scoring, which he did in the 57th minute. Portugal got on the scoresheet 14 minutes later, though ultimately in vain. France again found a late strike to be victorious, earning their first major title in history. It was also notably the third consecutive Euro tournament in which the host nation lifted the trophy.

1984 knockout real.png

Knockout stage of UEFA Euro 1984.

---------
A bit boring when the outcome is so similar OTL, but major changes are coming.

Credit to @Mildtryth for getting the predictions right. Stay tuned for the prelude to the 1986 FIFA World Cup.

Part 47 - Our Day of Glory Has Arrived

After a goalless first half, hosts France opened the scoring in the second one before doubling their lead in the dying minutes to reach their maiden Euro final. The second semi-final saw Denmark go in front in just the seventh minute, but a Portuguese equalizer 29 minutes into the second half ended up sending the match to extra time, where the debutants capitalized on their newfound momentum to go in front in the 98th minute. However, the Danes were far from down and out, finding the 2-2 goal in the 117th minute to send the match to penalties. Portugal proved to be more potent from eleven metres, reaching their first Euro final at the first time of asking.

A first-time champion was gonna be crowned. That was inevitable, as was Michel Platini scoring, which he did in the 57th minute. Portugal got on the scoresheet 14 minutes later, though ultimately in vain. France again found a late strike to be victorious, earning their first major title in history. It was also notably the third consecutive Euro tournament in which the host nation lifted the trophy.

View attachment 868819
Knockout stage of UEFA Euro 1984.

---------
A bit boring when the outcome is so similar OTL, but major changes are coming.

Credit to @Mildtryth for getting the predictions right. Stay tuned for the prelude to the 1986 FIFA World Cup.
That's a shame, an earlier collapse of Yugoslavia means Denmark does not have a better chance.... or do they?

Prelude to the 1986 FIFA World Cup
Part 48 - At the Twelfth Hour
Prelude to the 1986 FIFA World Cup

Brazil were narrowly awarded organizing duties over the United States in June 1974, despite an initial general lack of hosting interest [1]. Canada withdrew before the official voting took place. The 1986 FIFA World Cup was played from 31 May to 29 June, maintaining the previous format. The 12 group winners and runners-up advanced to the knockout stage along with the four best third-placed teams. Brazil became the third (consecutive) country in history to stage a second World Cup - after Argentina in 1978 and Italy in 1982 - having also organized the 1950, where they infamously lost to Uruguay in the final.

Yugoslavia did not enter due to the ongoing Yugoslav Wars. Canada and Iraq made their debut. After two arduous ties, Sweden ultimately defeated Northern Ireland on penalties in the UEFA play-off to qualify. Scotland defeated Australia in the intercontinental play-offs. Argentina found a late winner to qualify ahead of Peru on goals scored, as the two sides finished level on six points and an identical goal difference. Colombia returned for the first time since 1962. The 1984 Euro runners-up Portugal were notable absentees.

Let me know your group stage predictions:
1986 groups 1.png

1986 groups 2.png

—---------------------------------------
[1] In OTL, Colombia were awarded hosting rights in June 1974, but ultimately withdrew in November 1982 for financial reasons. One of the reasons they even launched a bid in OTL was because it was under the belief that they would be hosting a 16-team tournament. As the World Cup is already established as having 24 teams in TTL, I don’t think Colombia would’ve launched a bid to begin with. Following Colombia's withdrawal, Mexico were unanimously selected as hosts over Canada and the United States. However, as Mexico hosted the 1970 World Cup in TTL too, I find it unfathomable that they would have launched a bid to host the 1986 World Cup just four years after staging the 1970 edition, as opposed to over a decade later when FIFA sent out a second call for bids in OTL. Apart from Argentina, Brazil is the only South American nation that could host a 24-team World Cup by itself, so I could definitely see them launching a late bid in the absence of competition from fellow CONMEBOL members. While the United States would be first-time hosts and definitely have the stadium capacity to organize a successful World Cup, they were a football backwater in 1974 and were yet to host the 1984 Olympics, which proved a World Cup on American soil could be an attendance success, as @Mildtryth told me, and I agree.

And yes, I had to Google how you spell "
twelfth". Unfortunately, I'm not fluent in Welsh.

Stay tuned for the group stage!

Last edited:
Group A: Brazil, Mexico, Spain, Korea
Group B: England, Belgium, Colombia, Iraq
Group C: Italy, France, Hungary, Canada
Group D: Argentina, Soviet Union, Bulgaria, Algeria
Group E: Denmark, Germany, Uruguay, Scotland
Group F: Netherlands, Morocco, Sweden, Poland

Oh great, Scotland in the group of death, expect a big fight between Scotland vs Uruguay like with OTL. Would be funnier if its more violent here that it turns into an infamous battle that football game.

My Dad who remembers watching that game live would always say that he felt that Uruguay were the dirtiest team he ever saw and felt they should have been disqualified from the rest of the tournament.

Group A: Brazil, Spain, Mexico, Korea
Group B: Belgium, England, Colombia, Iraq
Group C: France, Italy, Hungary, Canada
Group D: Argentina, USSR, Algeria, Bulgaria
Group E: Germany, Uruguay, Scotland, Denmark
Group F: Netherlands, Poland, Sweden, Morocco

Third Place teams advancing: Mexico, Colombia, Hungary, Scotland

Oh great, Scotland in the group of death, expect a big fight between Scotland vs Uruguay like with OTL. Would be funnier if its more violent here that it turns into an infamous battle that football game.

My Dad who remembers watching that game live would always say that he felt that Uruguay were the dirtiest team he ever saw and felt they should have been disqualified from the rest of the tournament.
Yeah, and my dad has also said Uruguay always has at least one especially dirty player.

Suarez in the 2010s, Fransceoli in the 1980s, etc.

1986 FIFA World Cup - Group Stage
Part 49 - Great Danes
1986 FIFA World Cup - Group Stage

The World Cup was back in Brazil for the first time in 36 years, and it proved to be worth the wait. The hosts edged out Mexico 2-1 before brushing aside Spain 2-0. The spectacular 4-2 triumph over Korea cemented Brazil's top spot. Korea's 2-2 draw with Spain was also blistering, and the subsequent 2-1 win over Mexico was enough to advance as the runners-up. Spain defeated the Mexicans by the same scoreline to advance as one of the best third-placed teams [1].

1986 group a.png

Group A of the 1986 World Cup.

Belgium defeated England 1-0 in a slight opening upset. This was followed by a 2-1 victory against debutants Iraq and an entertaining 2-2 draw with Colombia. England again failed to get on the scoresheet in a frustrating 0-0 draw with Colombia, but a crucial Gary Lineker hattrick against Iraq was still enough for advancement. However, it was Colombia who finished in second, having defeated Iraq 1-0.

1986 group b.png

Group B of the 1986 World Cup.

The reigning European champions France brushed aside the World Cup title holders Italy 2-0 to top Group C, also edging out debutants Canada 1-0 and breezing past Hungary 3-0. Italy replicated that scoreline versus the Hungarians and didn't struggle in their 2-0 triumph over Canada. Hungary netted twice over the Canadians too, which was just enough to advance as a third-place team. Debutants Canada had a winless and goalless debut to forget.

1986 group c.png

Group C of the 1986 World Cup.

Group D was highly polarized, with four points separating the upper and lower half. Argentina drew 1-1 with the Soviet Union to begin their campaign. The 1978 champions' subsequent 3-0 and 2-0 wins over Algeria and Bulgaria respectively was enough to top the group on goal difference. The Soviets defeated Algeria by the same scoreline and won 2-1 over Bulgaria, whose only point was obtained in the 1-1 draw with the Algerians.

1986 group d.png

Group D of the 1986 World Cup.

Denmark sensationally ripped apart the 'group of death', defeating Alex Ferguson's Scotland 1-0 before emphatically obliterating reigning Copa America champions Uruguay 6-1 and brushing aside Germany 2-0. The Germans ultimately joined them in the knockout stage, thanks to their previous 1-1 draw with Uruguay and 2-1 victory over Scotland, whose only point was obtained in a goalless war with the Uruguayans [2].

1986 group e.png

Group E of the 1986 World Cup.

Morocco surprisingly topped Group F, featuring in two goalless draw with Poland and the Netherlands but crucially beating Sweden 2-1 on the final matchday. The Netherlands bounced back after their unexpected 1-0 loss to Sweden by defeating Poland 2-0. Following Sweden's opening win over the Dutch, the 1-1 draw with Poland was enough to advance. The tournament marked the end of Poland's golden generation, which had never failed to reach the semi-finals.

1986 group f.png

Group F of the 1986 World Cup.

1986 third place.png

The four best third-placed teams also advanced to the round of 16.

Let me know your round of 16 predictions:
1986 knockout 1.png

----------------------------------------------
[1] Mexico are done a bit dirty ITTL due to not being hosts and playing in such a competitive group, made even harder by Korea being stronger than IOTL.
[2] Group identical to OTL.