G11 adopted and sees wide spread issue with the Bundeswehr

In 1989 and 1990 the Bunderswehr was on the verge of adpoting the H&K G11 rifle which if done would turn the world of firearms upside down. It fired caseless ammo and had a burst ability with a rate of fire with 2000 rounds per minute. Yet German reunification was happening and they needed money for other things for a threat that was going away. So even through it had passed trials the Bunderswehr cancelled the G11 program.

Now lets say the G11 program isn't cancelled and is adpoted as the standard issue rifle for the Bundeswehr. What kind of effects would this have or was it a rifle that was a good prototype but too far ahead of the curve for practical field use?

It probably would have suffered due to the mechanics of using it, and the ammunition would still need to be refined into something durable and easy to produce. The good news however, is the LMG11 would have also been developed and introduced to serve alongside the G11.

You may get the gun adopted by the US for the ACR Trials if the G11 is in production and has upgrades rolling out to make the gun better and better. The idea of caseless ammo having been refined as a style for 10 or so years means it's less of a experiment and more likely to be used by more guns put into service.

Wasn't the only difference between the G11 and LMG11 was the barrel which was only a little bit heavier?

Yeah I still in the ammo is the weak point in the system as how hard is that stuff to make?

The LMG11 had a different barrel and mag capacity, as for the ammo, I don't have the specifics on the production of the ammo/durability on it. I feel as if the propellant block could be prone to chipping/breaking off and that should be fixed as different production methods are worked out.