For the Republic: A History of the Second American Civil War

At the very least, having instances of the NatCorps displaying Pragmatic Villainy could be something that future updates could have to explain why the NatCorps still have some legitimate support.
There's no need for that. Look at Nazi Propaganda, hell, read the letters of German soldiers following Stalingrad, when everything went to shit. Wehrmacht soldiers knew that they were fucked, many were disillusioned with Nazism, but they now had a vengeful enemy coming right for them and that was all that they needed to keep fighting.

Then again, the Nazis took power via a mostly bloodless self-coup, not a violent civil war.
Exactly. How exactly to they plan to win the Civil War when they're missing off everyone they encounter?

If you're not with us, you're against us. And if you are with us, we're still going to brutalize you and treat you like garbage.

Exactly. How exactly to they plan to win the Civil War when they're missing off everyone they encounter?

If you're not with us, you're against us. And if you are with us, we're still going to brutalize you and treat you like garbage.
That's a typical mindset for people like that, though? Hell, the Reds in the Russian Civil War did similar shit like that, even stealing food from the countryside to feed the cities. Although to be fair to them, IIRC they eventually put a stop to that.

Back to the point, such radical us-vs-them-thinking is typical of civil wars such as this. And seeing how perfectly willing to sit this shit out the West and South are, it could actually work, as the Republicans are seperated.

I'm imagining future federal funding negotiations will go something like this:

California: hmmm, hey DC, I have a problem with my federal funds allocation.
DC: Yes?
California: It seems to me that you have assigned me too little.
DC: I've assigned you more than enough.
California: Not at all, I demand more money, or I will secede from the Union!
DC: Very good.
California: What?
DC: I said that if you want to leave up the Union, that's fine for me. In any case, it is clear that you don't give a damn about the Union because YOU DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DEFEND IT!
California: Oh please stop living in the past, we are talking about MY needs NOW, not any fictitious grievances that only exist in your head.
DC: You are right, I have decided to reconsider your allocation of federal funds.
California: Yay!
DC: You will receive the generous figure of ZERO dollars with ZERO cents.
California: What?!
New York: I completely agree with DC.
States that suffered the Civil War: We too.

In that scenario the all the states which had to fight against the NatCorps would be sallivating at the thought of being able to inflict some of their own suffering against California. After all, secession is illegal, and everyone knows how to deal with traitors such as this:

Just wondering but will we get an update focused on Canada during this time. Because I am curious how the Second American Civil and the inevitable flood of refugees has affected the Bennett administrations policies and the election of October 1935.

In fact, could you cover the rest of the British Commonwealth in how the various dominions have been reacting to these developments in Asia and the Americas?
An update on Canada and the broader British Empire is absolutely in the works!

I can foresee Canada being very scared and very militarized in case Mac decides that maybe Canada would be a good addition to NatCorp's United States (and so he can loot it of course).

The British treasure will not be evacuated this time to Canada, as in OTL, because there will be the perception that the American regime can invade at any time.

Bitter debate in the British Empire about whether Canada is worth defending or not. Also about whether Hitler should be pressured to stop supporting the NatCorps.

The UK is desperately seeking new food suppliers and (accidentally) causing famines by inflating other suppliers' prices in its attempts to secure as much food as possible.

This will be made worse because in some way that I honestly didn't understand, Long collapsed the world oil market. This makes Persia and Saudi Arabia CRITICAL as sources of oil...

DC: I said that if you want to leave up the Union, that's fine for me. In any case, it is clear that you don't give a damn about the Union because YOU DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DEFEND IT!
California: Oh please stop living in the past, we are talking about MY needs NOW, not any fictitious grievances that only exist in your head.
DC: You are right, I have decided to reconsider your allocation of federal funds.
Don't forget Long and the South, they did the same thing.

An update on Canada and the broader British Empire is absolutely in the works!
I can foresee Canada being very scared and very militarized in case Mac decides that maybe Canada would be a good addition to NatCorp's United States (and so he can loot it of course).
What is fact is that R. P. Bennett will do even worse in the federal election of October 1935 because won't have FDR's New Deal as inspiration for his OTL about face in economic policy to deal with the depression, not to mention the inevitable flood of American refugees from the SACW. Meaning that the Co-operative Commonwealth and Social Credit parties will make even bigger gains than OTL in said election.

The bright side is the earlier rise of a multi-party system in the Canadian Parliamentary system.

Last edited:
Great chapter! You had me at the edge of my seat because I simply don't know how this will turn out. Things look grim indeed. This campaign is especially fascinating because we don't really get much of armies fighting over large extensions of relatively flat land except for campaigns in Russian soil. So I've always thought it'd be interesting to see how things would play out in a war for America's plains. Maybe an act of God is needed, but I sure hope it happens and Johnson and his robbers are turned back! An act of Britain would be nice too - come on, the Brits ought to know that a Natcorp victory would be very, very bad, so they better be trying to smuggle in food and ordinance. Speaking of Europe... when Hitler starts a World War the results could be catastrophic if there's no American grain to feed Britain and then the USSR.

Speaking of Europe... when Hitler starts a World War the results could be catastrophic if there's no American grain to feed Britain and then the USSR.
Especially if you’re an Indian, considering that the British are bound to squeeze their colonies further than OTL without American grain and the Bengal Famine IOTL.

New York: And my opinion on this is more important because I held congress once and was one of the most important loyalist states
Everyone Else Probably: What?!

Especially if you’re an Indian, considering that the British are bound to squeeze their colonies further than OTL without American grain and the Bengal Famine IOTL.
You're right, I hadn't considered that. What the Japanese will do also remains a problem... I know they are fighting in China and there's a mention about them losing their source of oil thanks to Long, but with the US occuppied they may try to seize the Dutch, French, and British colonies much earlier than OTL, which could have effects in China. That makes me wonder, too... which side is the US Pacific Navy on? Are they "neutral" too? It would be highly amusing if the West Coast found itself fighting a war with Japan while not getting involved in its own country's Civil War. And, really, Californians are bound to be hated by the Eastern states.

How much can Hitler afford to give the Natcorp without a big effect on his other dastardly plans?? Alot of people in the western states would be first or second generations away from places back east. There should be good amount of folks heading east to fight despite the official neutrality.

Last edited: