For America! An Alternate American Revolution TL

OCTOBER 17th, 1777
"General Burgoyne, it seems that the Colonists are pulling back!"
John Burgoyne looked up, grinning, as the Patriots pulled back, slowly but surely. "Good. Have the Dragoons chase them back to Albany, then put it under seige. We don't want the Yankees spoiling the city." His aide rode off, and Gen. Burgoyne's smile widened. "Now, what would I have done if I had allowed myself to lose?" He barked a laugh, then rode back to his camp, thinking of his reward.

After the British victory at Saratoga, Gen.'s George Washington and George Clark met in Harrisburgh, Penn., to discuss the future plans. After 2 day's of debate, they decided that the best course of action was that Washington would move west into the Ohio river valley and try to gain Native Americans support while Clark would go north and try to take Montreal. They also agreed to forgo traditional tactics and engage in guerilla warfare. By the end of the month, both Washington and Clark made considerable progress, while Burgoyne was furious that he could not pin the Yankee's down.

NOVEMBER

At the begining of the month, Gen. Clark found himself between a rock and a hard place. He was running low on shot and powder, which made seigeing Montreal almost impossible. He also couldn't sustain the casualties of getting into a true engagement with Burgoyne, and to make matters worse, winter was setting in. So, in a last-ditch effort, he suprised both Burgoyne and Congress by attacking the British-held Fort Ticonderoga in the dead of the night. Because of the suddenness and ferocity of the attack, by dawn the forts supply of shot and powder, food, canons, and even a companys worth of horses were now under his control. This also gave him a place to stay the winter and a base of operations. Also, Gen. Burgoyne was stuck seiging the city of Albany, and even if he did take the city, this year's winter came cold and feirce, trapping him.
Washington, meanwhile, was able to gain the support of several trives along the Ohio river, but soon found that his guerilla tactics were being countered by his lack of cavalry. So instead, boosted by his Navtive American allies, he moved north, and soon reached Fort Detroit and set it under seige. After 3 days of hard fighting, he managed to take the fort, and soon settled down for the winter.

DECEMBER

Unfortunately, it was now Washington who found himself in a tough spot. Although he had made some Native American allies, most were still loyal to the British, and he soon found himself being attacked by them and some Redcoat divisions from Niagara Falls. Clark, unwilling to be held down by nature, left some of his army at Fort Ticonderoga and marched up to Monteal, although the snow did slow his canons to almost a crawl. Nevertheless, on the night of December 18th, just a week before Cristmas, the first of the Patriot canons fired, starting the Seige of Montreal. At first, due to the freezing cold, it seemed that the Yankee's would once more taste defeat, but it was not so. On Cristmas Eve, Clarks canons managed to hit the gate's several time's, and he imidiatly moved forward. After feirce fighting puncuated by Clark himself getting hit in the left arm and right thigh, the Patriots managed to take the city, and, to the suprise and delight of the inhabitants, Clark declared that martial law would begin after Cristmas, and a mass celebration was announced.

Nevertheless, on the night of December 18th, just a week before Cristmas, the first of the Patriot canons fired, starting the Seige of Montreal. At first, due to the freezing cold, it seemed that the Yankee's would once more taste defeat, but it was not so. On Cristmas Eve, Clarks canons managed to hit the gate's several time's, and he imidiatly moved forward. After feirce fighting puncuated by Clark himself getting hit in the left arm and right thigh, the Patriots managed to take the city, and, to the suprise and delight of the inhabitants, Clark declared that martial law would begin after Cristmas, and a mass celebration was announced.

So wait, the people of Montreal, who were incredibly apethetic towards the Americans, celebrate the bombardment of their city, the invasion by a people who have decried their rights, and the declaration of marshal law. I mean WHAT...mass celebration!!!!!!!!

Yeah, this is not my area, but I for one weould not be appreciative of a bunch of Yanks invading and declaring martial law. Typically such festivities are for after the occupiers are expelled and the city liberated.

Also no Saratoga means no aid from the French. It took the massive victory at Saratoga to get Paris on board.

Also what are Bourgoybes comrades doing? Throwing dice?

I'm sorry for going at it again BUT... Canadian winters are REALLY cold. How did the American army get all the nescessary winter gear to to move men and cannon up the Hudson valley to Montreal. Frostbite will be murder, and as it's the middle of December, the Americans won't be able to dig in properly, unless you wish them to dig into the snow, which will only increase the incidence of death by freezing.

Also, with a defeat at Saratoga, not only will the French be kept out, but American morale will be shattered. Yet the American commanders disband the army into guerrilla warfare only for them to expect them to reassemble for a christmas-december campaign!!!!?

Also the Natives were intensely unfriendly to the Americans. The British guarranteed their land and their claims in the Royal Proclomation of 1763, meanwhile the Americans continued to enroach and cause conflict with the natives.

Last edited:
I'm sorry for going at it again BUT... Canadian winters are REALLY cold. How did the American army get all the nescessary winter gear to to move men and cannon up the Hudson valley to Montreal. Frostbite will be murder, and as it's the middle of December, the Americans won't be alble to dig in properly, unless you wish them to dig into the snow, which will only increase the incidence of death by freezing.

Also, with a defeat at Saratoga, not only will the French be kept out, but American morale will be shattered. Yet the American commanders disband the army into guerrilla warfare only for them to expect them to reassemble for a christmas-december campaign!!!!?

Also the Natives were intensely unfriendly to the Americans. The British guarranteed their land and their claims in the Royal Proclomation of 1763, meanwhile the Americans continued to enroach and cause conflict with the natives.

I second all of the above.

Contrary to what American's think their population was very divided on the issue of Revolution. The Patriots only achieved anything like a pan colonial majority after the complete defeat of the British Army at Sartoga and France entering the war.

Washington might be able to hatch something, but the Canadian expedition is a stretch. The Green Mountain Boys where Vermonters first. They might switch their colors if the King recognizes Vermont as a seperate province.

I am not trying to be discouraging, as the great man upthread said, alot of this is practically ASB. Thugh it is well written.

Last edited:
Now wait a minute, perhaps Washington and compatriots could have rallied after a defeat at Saratoga, shaken off Burgoyne's army and moved north in the middle of winter, with adequate winter supplies and clothing, and won over the Indians to the rebel cause and marched up to Montreal, and, had adequate ammunition and revolutionary zeal to... oh forget it.

Seriously though, your TL is well written, but it needs a bit of work in order to be more plausable.

I thought the Celebration was about- Martial Law not starting till after Christmas.

No, no, Clark announced a mass celebration. It's like a mayday parade. :D

Seriously, man, the taking of Montreal reads like an exact replay of the attack on Quebec, 1775, except you win. Seriously. :confused:

Well, shit. I'm starting to run out of ideas. The rest of what I have is pretty Ameriwank, so guess another one bites the dust..... hm.... what next.... any suggestions?