Early Italian Power

Jlinker613

Banned
In 1512 the Papal States and the Republic of Florence came into a short lived personal Union under Giovanni de Medici until 1521.

Let's suppose that rather than the Union ending, the two nations fully integrate into a Holy Roman Republic. This would be full military, political, territorial, and economic integration. It would be a republic where the Pope reigns but not rules.

With a new fairly powerful state with such significant influence in the Catholic world, what would history go on from this point? Would the HRR establish colonies? Would it be a match for any other major European powers? Would it speed up the process of Italian Unification?

Gwax23

Banned
It would lead to an early Italian Unification of the Northern States of italy. Slowly but surely through conquest and vassalization more Italian lands will fall under its dominion turning it into a powerful state and something of a bulwark against French Austrian and Spanish expansion in the peninsula. The enlightened ideas of the Florentine Republic would help develop the former underdeveloped papal fiefdoms. Eventually it would also expand to unite the southern Part of the Peninsula.

Colonies...Maybe.

I know it doesn't really answer your question, but...why would this ever happen? Especially for a family like the Medici to wave away their territory by uniting it with the Papal States in a move which could not possibly keep either territory in Medici hands? It's a bit like asking what if the King of Spain got himself elected as Doge of Venice, then united Spain with Venice with the King of Spain being declared as whoever won the Venetian elections every year. Why give away your family's inheritance for non-tangible benefits that your family can't enjoy?

Sorry to be a bit of a buzzkill, but...I just can't see why this would ever possibly happen.

I know it doesn't really answer your question, but...why would this ever happen? Especially for a family like the Medici to wave away their territory by uniting it with the Papal States in a move which could not possibly keep either territory in Medici hands? It's a bit like asking what if the King of Spain got himself elected as Doge of Venice, then united Spain with Venice with the King of Spain being declared as whoever won the Venetian elections every year. Why give away your family's inheritance for non-tangible benefits that your family can't enjoy?

Sorry to be a bit of a buzzkill, but...I just can't see why this would ever possibly happen.

There's always the obvious other option, which would mean the Medici's get a hold over the Papal Elections with their Florentine capital and ensure that a Medici is either elected as or controls the Pope.