Eagles and Roses: A Tudor-Habsburg TL

Prologue
PROLOGUE

"August 7, 1502. The day a great king was born. Katherine of Aragon, the dowager Princess of Wales had become pregnant shortly after her marriage to Arthur Tudor, the Prince of Wales. Though he died young at the age of fifteen, he had left behind his legacy in his son: Arthur, first of his name, the longest-reigning king of England until he was surpassed by his descendant: Victoria." - Jessica Wilson, "Mothers of the Kings: Margaret Beaufort and Katherine of Aragon"

"Isabella of Aviz, infanta of Portugal, was betrothed initially to her cousin Charles. But she was repudiated in favor of the English princess, Katherine Tudor. She was then married off to King Arthur of England, her other cousin, thanks to her father and aunt. Though disappointed at first, since she had truly hoped to be Charles' wife, she cheered up considerably upon meeting and falling in love with Arthur, her attractive husband who was devoted solely to her. The couple's deep love for each other has gone down in history as a shining example for hopeful newlyweds to pray for." - Elizabeth Tudor, Duchess of Richmond and Somerset*, "Isabella of Aviz, The Portuguese Queen of England"

"While Katherine Trastamara settled in as queen in all but name due to her status as the king's mother, Katherine Tudor was truly queen (and empress) of a large swathe of the world by marriage to her sister-in-law's nephew, Charles I of Spain and V of the Holy Roman Empire. At the age of fifteen, she left England forever and would spend the rest of her life traveling around the world with her beloved husband. It is known that during their first voyage together, they conceived the first of their fifteen children, showing a great sexual attraction and compatibility with each other. " - Margaret Boleyn, Viscountess Rochford**, "Sisters-in-law: Katherines of the Tudor Dynasty"

*Fitzroy if she was a legitimate girl (as Henry ITTL will marry Bessie seeing as he is not attractive candidate for high-born ladies).
**Only child of George and Jane Boleyn.

Chapter One
"The birth of young Arthur was celebrated with style in England. His godfather was his uncle, the Duke of York, who did not seem to resent the child for pushing him down in the line of succession. In fact, Henry by all signs adored his young nephew and greatly enjoyed being the father figure in his life, despite only being a decade older. This close relationship with frequent public displays of affection (though genuine, had a political dimension to them as it showed what a good, loving man he was despite motivation to be anything but) helped to stave off comparisons to the late Richard III, which would help him when he became his nephew's regent alongside his widowed sister-in-law." - Jessica Wilson, "Mothers of the Kings: Margaret Beaufort and Katherine of Aragon"

"As the eldest daughter of Manuel the Fortunate, Isabella was a rather attractive candidate for marriage. Her studies had presumably included politics, mathematics, the languages of English, Latin, Spanish and French besides her native Portuguese, as well as Renaissance classics, and the Christian doctrine. All these qualities made her a prestigious bride that again validated the house of Tudor in the eyes of European royalty. But her great beauty was what caught the eye of young Arthur, when she arrived in England at the age of fourteen." - Elizabeth Tudor, Duchess of Richmond and Somerset, "Isabella of Aviz, The Portuguese Queen of England"

"Katherine Tudor had given birth to her and Charles' first child by the time she was crowned as his consort. Now mistress of the vastest empire of Christendom, she rose to the job with aplomb, traveling extensively with her husband. A shrewd economist, she was also a keen patron of scientists and mathematicians, and encouraged the use of tapestries, carpets and tableware in the English style, as well as innovative fashion designs." - Margaret Boleyn, Viscountess Rochford, "Sisters-in-law: Katherines of the Tudor Dynasty"

Chapter Two
"Katherine was left as regent for Charles as he led a military campaign. She proved herself competent, attending meetings of the governing councils and consulting with the ministers. She quickly became a fashion icon for the women at court who emulated her showy, sparkly style of dress. She was the one that negotiated better conditions for her mother-in-law, Joanna, and also learned to speak Aragonese, Castilian and Catalan. She was very good with languages, as it later turned out, and never required a translator in her life. Politically, she seems to have been very liberal, which led to many conflicts with her husband's council. Despite this, she maintained a strong friendship with her sister-in-law, Katherine of Aragon, with whom she wrote long, flowery letters in Castilian Spanish." - "Sisters-in-law: Katherines of the Tudor Dynasty"

"Isabella of Aviz became incredibly efficient as an administrator, and a profound expert of the problems of the English kingdom. She was often appointed regent while the king went on military campaigns. She curtailed her husband's spending and enforced an austere atmosphere at court, continuing the policies of Henry VII of England. There were little lavish entertainments, gaiety or extravagance during her queenship. As time passed, she took a more active role in the policy-making process, suggesting her own solutions rather than merely accepting recommendations. Her husband considered her deliberations "very prudent and well thought out." She would make the decision to create an alliance with France by betrothing her eldest daughter, Maria, with the eldest son of Francis I, also named Francis." - "Isabella of Aviz, The Portuguese Queen of England"

"Margaret Beaufort and Katherine of Aragon, the young king's respective great-grandmother and mother, were a powerful alliance at court. Both women bonded over their unique position as de facto uncrowned queens, and were strict and formal with everyone at court. Patrons of the arts and supporters of academia, both were generous and bountiful to all they came across. They found in each other a worthy companion and worked together to further each other's standings. When Margaret died, Katherine was chief mourner and had vowed to continue the Countess' work." - "Mothers of the Kings: Margaret Beaufort and Katherine of Aragon"

Chapter Three
"Katherine Tudor found that she and Charles could not reach an agreement on one topic: Joanna of Castile, Charles' mother. Katherine was outraged at the claims that the queen was confined due to her insanity and demanded that she be released, especially as Joanna appeared to be very lucid (although she had developed a bitter, angry attitude at her confinement). Her opinion only strengthened after hearing that Joanna had been mistreated by her late father and husband. Charles, ambitious and impatient to rise to power, refused to free his mother from the convent she was locked in. However, after his wife's nagging, he allowed his mother to both dismiss the nuns that currently took care of her and to hire new caretakers. Katherine would do her best to provide comfort for her mother-in-law. She figured out that a way this could happen was by sending letters from her sister-in-law: Katherine of Aragon, Joanna's younger sister. The two Katherines would write frequent letters to Joanna in Castilian Spanish, and occasionally one of her children would add a postscript. Charles never stopped Katherine from writing to his mother, but he refused to communicate with her." - "Sisters-in-law: Katherines of the Tudor Dynasty"

"Isabella of Aviz soon realized she had a great enemy at court: Elizabeth Howard, wife of Thomas Boleyn, the court's greatest beauty. The queen, known for her regal dignity, disliked the way Elizabeth allowed her children to run wild at court, she disliked the sharp tongues of Elizabeth's young daughters and she disliked the headstrong, stubborn attitude that Elizabeth possessed. Elizabeth was known to speak freely and Isabella had heard reports that Elizabeth had badmouthed her to her husband and children. Though there was no evidence, Isabella kept this grudge. Funnily enough, her closest friend would be Elizabeth Wood, wife of James Boleyn, who helped Isabella adapt to English court life and culture. The two were known to have debated scripture and embroidered together, and Elizabeth would always go into confinement alongside Isabella during the queen's pregnancies." - "Isabella of Aviz, The Portuguese Queen of England"

"After Margaret Beaufort's death, Katherine of Aragon, the dowager Princess of Wales found that the Duke of York was beginning to show character traits that she did not want the young king Arthur to learn. While Henry appeared to be the quintessential prince of the Renaissance, he had always been interested in merry parties and loose women and he was a reckless athlete, his jousts being so violent that he would often leave injured. His towering, mercurial temper also terrified Katherine - but he showed every sign of adoring his nephew, who idolized his uncle. But his lover and eventual wife, Elizabeth Blount was another story altogether." - "Mothers of the Kings: Margaret Beaufort and Katherine of Aragon"

Eagles and Roses: The Cast (First Edition)
Charlotte Hope as Katherine of Aragon, Dowager Princess of Wales
1650088564537.png

KJ Apa as Arthur Tudor, King of England
1650088668283.png

Isolda Dychauk as Isabella of Aviz, Queen of England
1650088938220.png

Rupert Grint as Henry, Duke of York
1650088978121.png

Scarlett Johansson as Elizabeth Blount, Duchess of York
1650089063617.png

Alina Kovalenko as Katherine Tudor, Holy Roman Empress and Queen of Spain
1650089334090.png

Alvaro Cervantes as Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor and King of Spain
1650089298724.png

Natalie Dormer as Elizabeth Boleyn née Howard
1650090532507.png

Lily Collins as Elizabeth Boleyn née Wood
1650090675146.png

Alba Galocha as Joanna, Queen of Castile and Aragon
1650090771945.png

Chapter Four
"As we know, Joanna of Castile died at 75, a very old age for a woman of that era. Though her children, with the exception of the youngest, Catherine of Austria, maintained little contact with her, two other Katherine's stepped into the role of confidante and family. Katherine Tudor, Joanna's daughter-in-law soon arranged for her to have more comfortable quarters in the convent and regularly delivered gifts. She also asked for Joanna's advice - although Charles did not accept it most of the time, Joanna was honored to find that her opinion mattered. Katherine's ability to adapt Charles' government to local customs and culture made her far more popular than her husband, which caused some conflict. However, it was only with her help that the revolt of the Castilian cities had been crushed. And in 1520, she would be crowned Queen of Germany alongside her husband, where she first encountered Martin Luther." - Jessica Wilson, "Mothers of the Kings: Margaret Beaufort and Katherine of Aragon"

"From what I know, Queen Isabella was the one who arranged the marriage between my parents. Although my mother had been the lover of my father, she would have been set aside, were it not for her pregnancy. The Dowager Princess of Wales had often urged her brother-in-law to settle down and sire a cadet line for the Tudors, and now that responsibility is solely on my shoulders, for my mother's labor with me ruined her fertility. But when I was born, my father had curried favor with the king, and as I was his first cousin, I was bestowed with the dukedoms of Richmond and Somerset in my own right, unprecedented for a woman. King Arthur has always been most generous with me as the only sister he would ever have." - Elizabeth Tudor, Duchess of Richmond and Somerset, "Isabella of Aviz, The Portuguese Queen of England"

"When my mother finally conceived me, I was seen as a miracle. Born into a politically active, well-connected wealthy family of the English upper class - I had all I could want. And my dearest aunts, Mary and Anne Boleyn (yes, both would eventually end up as the king's mistresses), who danced with my mother at the infamous court masquerade of 1522, worked tirelessly to secure for me a bright future. This, of course, elicited the jealousy of the Duchess of York who found all opportunities to slander the women at court..." - Margaret Boleyn, Viscountess Rochford, "Sisters-in-law: Katherines of the Tudor Dynasty"

Last edited: