Disney's America is Built Near Washington D.C.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney%27s_America

In the 1990s the Mouse planned an American themed park near Washington D.C. called Disney's America that was canceled due to the controversy over its chosen location near a historic battlefield. What would one of the world's largest corporations look like today if this project actually got off the ground and was built, especially of how controversial it was?

Wasn't it cancelled due to the Knott family refusing to sell them the land?

There was one holdout right in the middle of the wanted land, Disney planned on building right around them if they didn't sell! No, it was the fact that a lot of folks (including myself and Robert Duvall) fought to keep them out.

Traffic here is a nightmare at the best of times, this would have been beyond a disaster as Disney wouldn't have put up a dime for any necessary infrastructure.

NoVA becomes even more like a subdivision of Burbank :p

Seriously though, if they relocated away from the Battlefield, I'd have loved this. It would likely kickstart Virginia's commercial growth by a decade, and Disney likely would have pushed for better local infrastructure too. Plus, the park sounds like one I'd enjoy.

Traffic here is a nightmare at the best of times, this would have been beyond a disaster as Disney wouldn't have put up a dime for any necessary infrastructure.

It got worse!?! :eek:

I was stationed in the Quantico area circa 1982-85 & visited several time since. Traffic sucked eggs then & I remember being caught in Beltway gridlock at 06:30 morning. Last time we visited DC we only drove as far in as Rockville and took the metro from the hotel there.

Seriously though, if they relocated away from the Battlefield, I'd have loved this. It would likely kickstart Virginia's commercial growth by a decade, and Disney likely would have pushed for better local infrastructure too. Plus, the park sounds like one I'd enjoy.

So... Democratic-leaning Virginia, ten years early?

... I'd have loved this. It would likely kickstart Virginia's commercial growth by a decade, and Disney likely would have pushed for better local infrastructure too. Plus, the park sounds like one I'd enjoy.

What do you consider 'growth'? In the early/mid 1980s I saw explosive growth in northern Virginia.

Disney pushed hard for infrastructure development. Trick was the managers were unwilling to contribute significant money. They expected the state and local government to do the road, water, sewer.. on the basis of hypothetical tax revenues Disneys presence would generate. The phone company got the same treatment when Disneys managers balked at committing to a share in the up front cost of the necessary communications support. Maybe all that could have eventually been negotiated into a acceptable settlement, but Disneys leaders were not making a good impression among the local leaders.

Wasn't it cancelled due to the Knott family refusing to sell them the land?

That was a later plan to convert Knott's in Buena Park (next to Disneyland's Anaheim) to Disney's America. The family was afraid that the park would be Disneyfied (do you blame them? Disney apparently planned to change less than Cedar Fair did, but California Adventure is already so much more Disney than it was ten years ago.) And that happening would butterfly away California Adventure. Disneyland is probably expanded instead? Hmm, my sister knows more about this, I think. Given how close I live to all this, my childhood would be a lot different...

But getting back to Disney's America in the DC Area, I suspect that it will massively increase tourism and development to the capital. A lot of people in the Northeast and Midwest are going to come here over Disneyworld. New York, Disneyland, and Disneyworld are America's top three tourist spots IOTL, more or less (mindset, not data at work here. I'm on my phone!) DC is now an equal player there. Of course, Disneyland would have ended up literally buying out the entire area they were in, so the local leaders were wise to oppose it. Downtown Anaheim is now literally called Downtown Disney. The area will be a great boost to the area's development speed, which vultan quite insightfully pointed out, could have big political consequences. The proximity to DC means Disney will probably use the park for a lot of patriotic holidays. And yes, the traffic will be just awful, but that's not too different from OTL!

In terms of how it would affect Disney, I can't think of anything meaningful.

It's interesting to think how it might affect the tourism industry in Virginia. Do more people want to come to Virginia because of this? Or is it just that Disney takes the tourists that would've gone to the Williamsburg/Bush Gardens area?

Other posters have said it might lead to even more growth in Northern Virginia. I think that's a valid possibility, but let me paint the opposite picture, just as an experiment.

If the holdout sells and it's built on the planned site, it probably means the infrastructure comes soon after. More roads, which of course just means more traffic. The perception is that big roads projects are forwarded just for tourist dollars, not for locals. After the first round of such construction, I can imagine Northern Virginia has a somewhat dimmer view of growth. The plans to turn Tyson's into a new city would be seen in a much more jaded light and probably get shot down. Projects in general might face a tougher approval process. All of those sweetheart deals Virginia gives for the construction of corporate campuses are non-starters.

Preservationists would get in on the action, too, and we'd probably see tougher regulations on building near battlefields in the future, more parkland designated in marginal exurban areas.

Meanwhile, DC's growing all through this time period (as it still is today.) The pressure falls elsewhere. The Maryland 'burbs might take up some slack, but they're quite late to the retrofitting game. MoCo's really only gotten off the ground in the last ten years in terms of city-building, and the bureaucratic hurdles wouldn't be any lessened ITTL. PG's a bit more of a wilderness, and we could see something there, but considering IOTL they're basically following MoCo's lead only 10-15 years behind, it's unlikely.

No, the most likely place for re-channeled growth in the DC metro area is DC itself. The downtown BID is built out a few years earlier. NoMa comes into being a few years earlier. Without the Nats I don't think we see a push for building on the Anacostia yet, but the Waterfront probably gets redeveloped early. A lot more pressure on the Height Act...enough to crack it? I have a feeling it could probably be moderately reformed in the late-90s, before fears of gentrification kick in, and before 9-11. Nothing drastic; 50-100 feet higher, and more places you can build that high. But backlash follows this, and anything older than 50 years is probably rubber-stamped as historical. Getting so much as a window replaced in a rowhouse neighborhood becomes a court case from the historical society.

Some development would still have to occur in NoVa. Only it's more concentrated in Arlington-proper. There's enough pressure on the property taxes that it just becomes impossible to maintain the last of Arlington's suburban neighborhoods, and it morphs from quasi-city into full-fledged city by 2014.

Politically, Virginia's still considered purple, but its razor-thin elections still tend to break Republican more than Democrat.

DC's passed 650,000 residents by 2010. Office space is even more expensive. By this time, MoCo and PG are relieving the pressure more than Virginia. The Hyattsville redevelopment's more successful. Silver Spring's entirely built out. Wheaton and Glenmont redevelopment have been pushed forward 5-10 years. And Rockville's doing what Tyson's is doing IOTL and becoming a new city, with Rockville Pike already turning into the Wilson Blvd of MoCo.

So that's an extremely local perception, sorry to the folks not from the area for all the obscure place names.:p

And as an alternative thought, what might happen if it were built where National Harbor is today?

What do you consider 'growth'? In the early/mid 1980s I saw explosive growth in northern Virginia.

Disney pushed hard for infrastructure development. Trick was the managers were unwilling to contribute significant money. They expected the state and local government to do the road, water, sewer.. on the basis of hypothetical tax revenues Disneys presence would generate. The phone company got the same treatment when Disneys managers balked at committing to a share in the up front cost of the necessary communications support. Maybe all that could have eventually been negotiated into a acceptable settlement, but Disneys leaders were not making a good impression among the local leaders.

In the late 90s and especially the 2000s, the growth in NoVA EXPLODED, to the point the growth of the 80s tooked tame. There's a reason why NoVA is now the richest area in the entire country, its gone through a growth pattern that's on the scale comparable to say, something you'd expect in the BRIC countries.

One wonders how much larger it would have been had they used a more gentle hand.

That was a later plan to convert Knott's in Buena Park (next to Disneyland's Anaheim) to Disney's America. The family was afraid that the park would be Disneyfied (do you blame them? Disney apparently planned to change less than Cedar Fair did, but California Adventure is already so much more Disney than it was ten years ago.) And that happening would butterfly away California Adventure. Disneyland is probably expanded instead? Hmm, my sister knows more about this, I think. Given how close I live to all this, my childhood would be a lot different...

But getting back to Disney's America in the DC Area, I suspect that it will massively increase tourism and development to the capital. A lot of people in the Northeast and Midwest are going to come here over Disneyworld. New York, Disneyland, and Disneyworld are America's top three tourist spots IOTL, more or less (mindset, not data at work here. I'm on my phone!) DC is now an equal player there. Of course, Disneyland would have ended up literally buying out the entire area they were in, so the local leaders were wise to oppose it. Downtown Anaheim is now literally called Downtown Disney. The area will be a great boost to the area's development speed, which vultan quite insightfully pointed out, could have big political consequences. The proximity to DC means Disney will probably use the park for a lot of patriotic holidays. And yes, the traffic will be just awful, but that's not too different from OTL!

I don't think the growth would have had too big an effect on NoVA as a whole - unlike Anaheim, they have a lot of industries outside of Disney - but Haymarket and the relatively rural area around it would be much different. Today, the biggest claim to fame the area has is Robert Duvall lives nearby.

In terms of how it would affect Disney, I can't think of anything meaningful.

It's interesting to think how it might affect the tourism industry in Virginia. Do more people want to come to Virginia because of this? Or is it just that Disney takes the tourists that would've gone to the Williamsburg/Bush Gardens area?

Other posters have said it might lead to even more growth in Northern Virginia. I think that's a valid possibility, but let me paint the opposite picture, just as an experiment.

If the holdout sells and it's built on the planned site, it probably means the infrastructure comes soon after. More roads, which of course just means more traffic. The perception is that big roads projects are forwarded just for tourist dollars, not for locals. After the first round of such construction, I can imagine Northern Virginia has a somewhat dimmer view of growth. The plans to turn Tyson's into a new city would be seen in a much more jaded light and probably get shot down. Projects in general might face a tougher approval process. All of those sweetheart deals Virginia gives for the construction of corporate campuses are non-starters.

Preservationists would get in on the action, too, and we'd probably see tougher regulations on building near battlefields in the future, more parkland designated in marginal exurban areas.

Meanwhile, DC's growing all through this time period (as it still is today.) The pressure falls elsewhere. The Maryland 'burbs might take up some slack, but they're quite late to the retrofitting game. MoCo's really only gotten off the ground in the last ten years in terms of city-building, and the bureaucratic hurdles wouldn't be any lessened ITTL. PG's a bit more of a wilderness, and we could see something there, but considering IOTL they're basically following MoCo's lead only 10-15 years behind, it's unlikely.

No, the most likely place for re-channeled growth in the DC metro area is DC itself. The downtown BID is built out a few years earlier. NoMa comes into being a few years earlier. Without the Nats I don't think we see a push for building on the Anacostia yet, but the Waterfront probably gets redeveloped early. A lot more pressure on the Height Act...enough to crack it? I have a feeling it could probably be moderately reformed in the late-90s, before fears of gentrification kick in, and before 9-11. Nothing drastic; 50-100 feet higher, and more places you can build that high. But backlash follows this, and anything older than 50 years is probably rubber-stamped as historical. Getting so much as a window replaced in a rowhouse neighborhood becomes a court case from the historical society.

Some development would still have to occur in NoVa. Only it's more concentrated in Arlington-proper. There's enough pressure on the property taxes that it just becomes impossible to maintain the last of Arlington's suburban neighborhoods, and it morphs from quasi-city into full-fledged city by 2014.

Politically, Virginia's still considered purple, but its razor-thin elections still tend to break Republican more than Democrat.

DC's passed 650,000 residents by 2010. Office space is even more expensive. By this time, MoCo and PG are relieving the pressure more than Virginia. The Hyattsville redevelopment's more successful. Silver Spring's entirely built out. Wheaton and Glenmont redevelopment have been pushed forward 5-10 years. And Rockville's doing what Tyson's is doing IOTL and becoming a new city, with Rockville Pike already turning into the Wilson Blvd of MoCo.

So that's an extremely local perception, sorry to the folks not from the area for all the obscure place names.:p

Well thought out, but I would disagree somewhat - if only because the area the park was supposed to go remains relatively undeveloped, especially by NoVA standards. Disney would have an enormous impact on Western Prince William County and Farquier County, but save infrastructure in the area, I don't expect it to do much but enhance and expand the growth in Alexandria, Fairfax and Louden counties, especially as many of the key points of development there were well underway by the mid-1990s.

The biggest way I could see it getting sped up is I imagine Disney would love to get the park plugged into the Metro. We may see the Orange Line extended into NoVA fifteen years ahead of schedule.

And as an alternative thought, what might happen if it were built where National Harbor is today?

My annual trips to National Harbor for MAGfest and Katsucon are a LOT different.

I'm not sure how it would affect Orlando or Disney's overseas parks. I wonder- would they consider building a park in a different location, like Lowcountry SC? (OTL they did build a resort at Hilton Head, SC.)

How do you make slavery a vacation topic? That was what killed it more than anything. Their PR machine couldn't make 'life on a plantation' an acceptable topic. When added to the tax incentives, infrastructure, and independence from local regulation just made it a project that could not get approved

How do you make slavery a vacation topic? That was what killed it more than anything. Their PR machine couldn't make 'life on a plantation' an acceptable topic. When added to the tax incentives, infrastructure, and independence from local regulation just made it a project that could not get approved

Conversely, what if they got it right? Turned it into Roots the Live Action Reenactment, right in the heart of the former CSA. It would certainly go a long way to bitchslap the local 'south will rise again' crowd. We've had multiple Holocaust museums figure out ways to address the horrors of that time of history without scaring off families or kids, its always surprised me no one has done the same for slavery.

Show the horrors of slavery, but highlight things like the Underground Railroad, the Abolitionist movement, and the road to Emancipation as well - maybe even cover the Civil Rights Movement, or the Tuskegee Airmen. Given Doug Wilder was Governor of Virginia at the time, with some input from the state government, thus could have been a good thing.

If this park is built than I would think that the Disney corporation would build more parks in the United States in diverse places like Texas, New York, etc. if they can fit a national theme around it.

If this park is built than I would think that the Disney corporation would build more parks in the United States in diverse places like Texas, New York, etc. if they can fit a national theme around it.

I wonder if Disney's America is build and successful you could see Disney building a park outside New York City say in the Catskills.

Nick P

Donor
I wonder if Disney's America is build and successful you could see Disney building a park outside New York City say in the Catskills.

Back in 1965 Disney came close to building a resort in the Sequoia National Park in California. It was intended to open in 1967
http://www.yesterland.com/mineralking.html

I'm pretty sure there were other plans across the US, for some reason the Appalachians come to mind from reading some old magazine article.