DBWI: Germany and Austria stay majority Catholic

JJohnson

Banned
My question is, could Germany and Austria stay majority Catholic?

Today, they're both about 70-80% Christian, 47.5% Protestant, 22% Catholic in both together. I'm just wondering if that could've been different somehow. I was on a trip from Breslau, Germany to Reichenburg, Austria and lots of amazing places used to be Catholic churches, but hardly any Catholics. In contrast, Marburg and Bozen were more Catholic down in Austria, and even Straßburg was a bit more Catholic like over in France.

Perhaps we could see France owning Alsace and not as religiously conservative as it would mean Catholic Habsburgs fighting Catholic Capetians.

My question is, could Germany and Austria stay majority Catholic?

Today, they're both about 70-80% Christian, 47.5% Protestant, 22% Catholic in both together. I'm just wondering if that could've been different somehow. I was on a trip from Breslau, Germany to Reichenburg, Austria and lots of amazing places used to be Catholic churches, but hardly any Catholics. In contrast, Marburg and Bozen were more Catholic down in Austria, and even Straßburg was a bit more Catholic like over in France.

I don't know where you have your numbers from, but Catholics are by a small, yet increasing margin the larger christian group in Germany for quite some years now, mainly because the Protestant churches loose their followers more quickly than the catholic church. And Austria has barely any Protestants.

If you had a clear catholic majority from medieval times on, it's far more likely that there will be a union of Austria and Germany. The Prussians did not want so many Catholics. ITTL, even if the state that unites Germany has a protestant King, the number of its Catholic subjects must be so high that they cannot really care.

I have to imagine that a Catholic Greater Germany is likely the result, and sooner than German Empire OTL.

The problem with keeping Germany Catholic is butterflying away the Reformation or significantly weakening it. You have to go way back and prevent the corruption of the Church in the first place---have the Church heed Wycliffe and Hus for example, or kill off the di Medicis somehow. You really need an ATL with no Reformation for this to work.