As Dreamers Do Part Deux

Logo History: Ghostbusters
The original Ghostbusters begins with the Paramount logo that was still being used at the time.

The second installment begins with the logo that had been introduced a few years earlier for the studio's 75th anniversary.

The first five episodes of the animated series (known IOTL as The Real Ghostbusters) ended with this logo:

The remainder of the animated series carried this logo, albeit with byline changes for the 1989-90 season. Extreme Ghostbusters would also use this logo.

This seldom used logo was used at the beginning of VHS releases of the animated series:

Who You Gonna Call?
Premiere+Warner+Bros+Pictures+Rumor+Arrivals+3-56gMMh10Ox.jpg

ROB REINER (Chairman of the Board; Paramount Pictures)
"I know you're busy with Rachel right now, but we've been struggling to get Ghostbusters 3 off the ground since the second one came out. Would you like to write us a script?"

linda-woolverton-9df30d5b-912a-49e3-9237-9db81b6a090-resize-750.jpg

LINDA WOOLVERTON (Screenwriter)
"I must remind you that I was only involved with the franchise having freelanced on the cartoon. I want to say yes, but I will not type one word without Ramis, Reitman or Murray."

Notes
IOTL, Woolverton wrote only one episode of The Real Ghostbusters. That was Drool, the Dog Faced Goblin. Prior to her OTL Disney work, Woolverton had written teleplays for multiple Saturday Morning shows.​

Marty McFly Lives!
NBC News' initial reports of Michael J. Fox being placed in hospice care last month have proven false. Fox, as it turns out, had merely gone to Cedars-Sinai Hospital to meet with his physician for physical and occupational therapy to mitigate his Parkinson's symptoms. NBC has now apologized to the Fox family for jumping the gun and has promptly fired Brian Williams for having scared the whole world. Tom Brokaw will return to the Nightly News while NBC searches for a new anchor.
- MSNBC

Candidates for Brian Williams' possible replacement on the NBC Nightly News include Anderson Cooper (currently at CNN), Scott Pelley (currently at CBS), Diane Sawyer (currently at ABC), Charles Gibson (also at ABC), Shepard Smith (currently at BVN), Lester Holt (currently at HLN), Bryant Gumbel (currently at SBC), Connie Chung (former CBS co-anchor) and NBC's own Katie Couric.
- The Today Show

Batman/TMNT, initially planned to be a straight-to-DVD release, proves to be a surprise hit in theatres. The parent companies of both DC and Marvel say fans can expect more crossovers in the coming years.
- SBC's Sunrise

RUMOR: Doug Jones (D-AL) and John Lewis (D-GA) each meet with Speaker Nancy D'Alesandro (D-MD) on a potential plan to impeach President Weinstein (R-CA) for the initial snail's pace in the response to Hurricane Katrina and having ignored actor Gus St. Pierre's concerns about the earthen levees the year prior.
- BVN

Jeffrey Bewkes of Bally confirms Hollywood Pictures will rebrand as Luxor Pictures, taking the new name from Bally's Egyptian themed hotel on the Las Vegas Strip. The new name Bewkes says will allow the company to continue using the Sphinx logo for its film and television division in the years to come.
- The Chicago Sun-Times

The Sports Page
Tiffany Disney, the 22-year-old chairwoman of the San Diego Wave of Women's Major League Soccer (WMLS), will now represent the Mighty Ducks of San Diego on the NHL Board of Governors.
- The Hockey News
1: Oh, thank GOD!
2: Honestly, with a scare like that, Brian Williams needed to go. As for his replacement, I'm going with either Katie Couric for the convenience of a Today anchorwoman moving into primetime, or Diane Sawyer for the name recognition.
3: I mean, it's Batman against the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Even if it was a direct-to-DVD movie, it still would have sold like crazy.
4: I can take or leave his absence like that.
5: Okay. That's good.
6: Not a bad idea. But does Tiffany still have bladder problems?

Premiere+Warner+Bros+Pictures+Rumor+Arrivals+3-56gMMh10Ox.jpg

ROB REINER (Chairman of the Board; Paramount Pictures)
"I know you're busy with Rachel right now, but we've been struggling to get Ghostbusters 3 off the ground since the second one came out. Would you like to write us a script?"

linda-woolverton-9df30d5b-912a-49e3-9237-9db81b6a090-resize-750.jpg

LINDA WOOLVERTON (Screenwriter)
"I must remind you that I was only involved with the franchise having freelanced on the cartoon. I want to say yes, but I will not type one word without Ramis, Reitman or Murray."

Notes
IOTL, Woolverton wrote only one episode of The Real Ghostbusters. That was Drool, the Dog Faced Goblin. Prior to her OTL Disney work, Woolverton had written teleplays for multiple Saturday Morning shows.​
She might not have much experience with the Ghostbusters IP, but by all accounts, she's already looking to be the best writer for the third entry.

Aeon Flux (2005 Live Action Film)
R.af4f37bd1e6d39082c0a416f241cb2a4

Aeon Flux
Released on Christmas Day 2005 by United Artists

Produced by
MTV Films
Lakeshore Entertainment

Based upon characters created by
Peter Chung

Cast and Crew
Same as OTL

Notes
ITTL, Peter Chung got his start at age 20 working for Famous Studios during the regime of Walter Lantz and Ralph Bakshi. His first professional credit was as an animator and layout artist on Fire and Ice (1983; Universal). In 1984, Chung joined Grantray-Lawrence where he teamed up with Tom Ruegger, Daniel Abbott, Rachel Stone-Abbott and Bruce Timm on the Fox Movietoon revival shorts. In 1987, Chung joined Murakami-Wolf-Swenson where he helped design the opening title sequence for the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1987-96; MWS and later Disney). Finally in 1991, Chung created Aeon Flux, originally as a regular segment on MTV's Liquid Television before spinning off into its own series in 1995.​

@QTXAdsy

R.e071689c24edffaa0895d7bce006f629

Dr. Michael Kelly
(Lord Provost of Glasgow from 1980 until 1984)

"The impact of Disney and Spielberg hosting the British premiere of ET: The Extra Terrestrial back in 1982 can still be felt here in Glasgow. The event gave our city a surplus of funds, part of which went towards rebuilding Hampden Park to its current configuration. The rest went towards shoring up our local art programs. We now have kids learning to play the music from the film on the bagpipes. We still have murals related to the film scattered across the city. When the film was screened again at Hampden Park for the 20th anniversary three years ago, a statue of ET was unveiled in front of the stadium's main entrance. Since 1985, a smaller statuette of ET is given to the winners of the Old Firm (the Celtic/Rangers rivalry) at the end of each season. That was the same statuette that used to sit in my office during my tenure as Lord Provost. Here at home, I still have a photo that I took with Walt Disney, Jr. and Steven Spielberg at Hampden Park all those years ago. I can still hear the crowds getting into a frenzy during the bike chase scenes. I will always cherish that event forever."​

Opening and Closing to ET: The Extra Terrestrial 1984 VHS
ET: The Extra Terrestrial
Released theatrically by Walt Disney Pictures on June 11, 1982.
Released for the first time on VHS, VHD and Laserdisc by Walt Disney Telecommunications and Non-Theatrical Company on September 4, 1984.

OPENING
The earliest prints of ET: The Extra Terrestrial open with the Cheezy Diamond logo that was introduced a year earlier on the first VHS/VHD/CED/Laserdisc release of The Secret of NIMH. The FBI warning below was a prototype that can also be found on Summer '84 prints of the original Planet of the Apes, The Omen, Monty Python's Life of Brian, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, History of the World: Part I, TRON, Captain America, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Empire Strikes Back and the first two volumes of Urusei Yatsura.
2cnMy8N.png
hqdefault.jpg

ITTL, ET was the first to open with this Walt Disney Pictures logo, which was introduced three years earlier than IOTL.

CLOSING
The VHS closes with the Amblin Entertainment logo which was actually introduced two years after the film's release.
That is followed right after by a silent variant of the WDP logo.

Most Walt Disney and 20th Century-Fox tapes released between 1983 and early 1986 conclude with the "Walt Disney and You" Promo, which I'll get to later.​

In the fall of 1986, ET was reissued on VHS at a lower price as part of the "Bring Disney Home for Good" marketing campaign. The 1984 release was packaged in a black clamshell while the '86 reissue came in a standard slipcover.

Here's how the '86 VHS opens:

Most Walt Disney and 20th Century-Fox tapes released between 1983 and early 1986 conclude with the "Walt Disney and You" Promo, which I'll get to later.​
While the ET info itself is comforting as a Disney VHS fanatic, I'm really intrigued to know which butterflies changed the Walt Disney and You promo.

The original Ghostbusters begins with the Paramount logo that was still being used at the time.

The second installment begins with the logo that had been introduced a few years earlier for the studio's 75th anniversary.

The first five episodes of the animated series (known IOTL as The Real Ghostbusters) ended with this logo:

The remainder of the animated series carried this logo, albeit with byline changes for the 1989-90 season. Extreme Ghostbusters would also use this logo.

This seldom used logo was used at the beginning of VHS releases of the animated series:
I always loved the '82-'86 home video logo.

Walt Disney and You VHS Promo (1982-85)
While the ET info itself is comforting as a Disney VHS fanatic, I'm really intrigued to know which butterflies changed the Walt Disney and You promo.

OTL Promo for Comparison

Down below are TTL's butterflies.
CHORUS: "Come on home where your good friends are waiting. Everything's shiny and new. Come where excitement is playing. Walt DIsney and You!"

***Right after the first lyrics from the jingle, we abruptly cut to Keys talking to Elliott (Henry Thomas).

Keys (Peter Coyote): "I've been wishing for this since I was ten years old!"

Announcer: "Come home to all your good friends! Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Herbie, Alice, Winnie the Pooh, Mary Poppins, Pollyanna, C-3PO & R2-D2..."

***Gertie (Drew Barrymore) screams as she sees ET for the first time.

Announcer:"....and now, ET!"

The shots showing Condorman, Davy Crockett, etc. are same as OTL, with the addition of Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), Han Solo (Kurt Russell), Captain America (Dennis Quaid) and Indiana Jones (Tom Selleck).

***Announcer (over footage and theme from the 1967 Spidey series): "...Plus, from the pages of Marvel Comics, you'll see Spider-Man bringing evildoers to justice!"

More OTL clips including the "Fire that musket..." threat from Long John Silver (Robert Newton) in Treasure Island.

A montage of titles, including Star Wars, Captain America, Raiders of the Lost Ark and ET added.

A reprise of the jingle is soon followed by a brief shot of an early Walt Disney Home Video logo, which IOTL was actually the very first Disney Channel logo with the Mickey silhouette on a rainbow TV screen shape.

In front of the "Mickey-Vision" logo, we see the then-current print versions of the Disney and Fox video logos superimposed in primitive chyron graphics:

54aab1d5b69e885fa7c84cb0fb572b8a--disney-home-disney-world.jpg
20th-Century-Fox-Video-Australian-Variant-B-twentieth-century-fox-film-corporation-18886713-720-540.jpg

***Announcer: Now available from Walt Disney Home Video and 20th Century-Fox Home Video.

***The last shot is of Luke in his X-Wing right after destroying the Death Star in A New Hope.

Obi Wan's Ghost (Alec Guinness): "Remember, the Force will be with you...always."

FADE OUT.

So basically, the promo is a little bit longer than OTL.​

Last edited:

OTL Promo for Comparison

Down below are TTL's butterflies.
CHORUS: "Come on home where your good friends are waiting. Everything's shiny and new. Come where excitement is playing. Walt DIsney and You!"

***Right after the first lyrics from the jingle, we abruptly cut to Keys talking to Elliott (Henry Thomas).

Keys (Peter Coyote): "I've been wishing for this since I was ten years old!"

Announcer: "Come home to all your good friends! Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Herbie, Alice, Winnie the Pooh, Mary Poppins, Pollyanna, C-3PO & R2-D2..."

***Gertie (Drew Barrymore) screams as she sees ET for the first time.

Announcer:"....and now, ET!"

The shots showing Condorman, Davy Crockett, etc. are same as OTL, with the addition of Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), Han Solo (Kurt Russell), Captain America (Dennis Quaid) and Indiana Jones (Tom Selleck).

***Announcer (over footage and theme from the 1967 Spidey series): "...Plus, from the pages of Marvel Comics, you'll see Spider-Man bringing evildoers to justice!"

More OTL clips including the "Fire that musket..." threat from Long John Silver (Robert Newton) in Treasure Island.

A montage of titles, including Star Wars, Captain America, Raiders of the Lost Ark and ET added.

A reprise of the jingle is soon followed by a brief shot of an early Walt Disney Home Video logo, which IOTL was actually the very first Disney Channel logo with the Mickey silhouette on a rainbow TV screen shape.

In front of the "Mickey-Vision" logo, we see the then-current print versions of the Disney and Fox video logos superimposed in primitive chyron graphics:

54aab1d5b69e885fa7c84cb0fb572b8a--disney-home-disney-world.jpg
20th-Century-Fox-Video-Australian-Variant-B-twentieth-century-fox-film-corporation-18886713-720-540.jpg

***Announcer: Now available from Walt Disney Home Video and 20th Century-Fox Home Video.

***The last shot is of Luke in his X-Wing right after destroying the Death Star in A New Hope.

Obi Wan's Ghost (Alec Guinness): "Remember, the Force will be with you...always."

FADE OUT.

So basically, the promo is a little bit longer than OTL.​
This is the best case scenario for that bumper, if you ask me.

Animax (2006 Network Launch)
R.fc79c052b56237675ec4714d1d79b669

Animax
Launched on January 1, 2006

A joint venture between Peacock and Sony Corporation of America, Animax is the first American cable and satellite network dedicated solely to Japanese anime.

Original material will eventually come to Animax, but in the meantime, here's a sample of what will fill the timeslots early on:
Licensed from 20th Century-Fox
- AstroBoy
- Kimba the White Lion
- Maya the Bee
- The Secret of Akko-Chan
- Chappy the Witch
- Candy Candy
- Urusei Yatsura
- Ranma 1/2

Licensed from Touchstone Television
- Sally the Witch
- Dr. Slump
- Magical Doremi

Licensed from Columbia-TriStar Television
- Angie Girl
- Pokemon
- Yu-Gi-Oh!

Licensed from New Line Cinema
- Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics
- Robotech
- Noozles
- Sailor Moon
- Samurai Pizza Cats

Licensed from Warner Bros.
- Speed Racer
- Dragon Ball Z

Licensed from Universal Studios
- The Gutsy Frog
- Dog of Flanders
- Cardcaptors

Licensed from Turner Broadcasting
- Little Lulu and her Little Friends
- Hello Kitty's Furry Tale Theatre​

Animax

A joint venture between Peacock and Sony Corporation of America, Animax is the first American cable and satellite network dedicated solely to Japanese anime.

Original material will eventually come to Animax, but in the meantime, here's a sample of what will fill the timeslots early on:
- AstroBoy
- Kimba the White Lion
- Maya the Bee
- Chappy the Witch
- Candy Candy
- Urusei Yatsura
- Ranma 1/2

- Sally the Witch
- Dr. Slump
- Magical Doremi

- Angie Girl
- Pokemon
- Yu-Gi-Oh!

- Robotech
- Noozles
- Sailor Moon
- Samurai Pizza Cats

- Speed Racer
- Dragon Ball Z

- The Gutsy Frog
- Dog of Flanders
- Cardcaptors

This is basically a "Who's who?" of Americanized anime from top to bottom, and I love it.

Voted

Animax

- AstroBoy
- Kimba the White Lion
- Maya the Bee
- Chappy the Witch
- Candy Candy
- Urusei Yatsura
- Ranma 1/2

- Sally the Witch
- Dr. Slump
- Magical Doremi

- Angie Girl
- Pokemon
- Yu-Gi-Oh!

- Robotech
- Noozles
- Sailor Moon
- Samurai Pizza Cats

- Speed Racer
- Dragon Ball Z

- The Gutsy Frog
- Dog of Flanders
- Cardcaptors

Ohhh yeah.

Entertainment News for Early January 2006
Entertainment News for Early January 2006

NBC quietly starts a new era with Katie Couric as its new anchor for the Nightly News.
- The New York Times

Following Bally and TimeWarner's decision to dissolve MyTV, Warner Bros. announces that the second season of The Berenstain Bears will move to Warner Freeform.
- Variety

As initial reports of the supposed decline of Michael J. Fox's health turned out to be grossly exaggerated, Disney resumes production of Team Atlantis.
- The Hollywood Reporter

With Peacock's selection of Jeffrey Katzenberg as head of Peacock Animation, Tom Ruegger is now interviewing with Bally on possibly becoming chairman of Luxor Animation, formerly known as Film Roman. Luxor's current animation chief is Mark Evanier, who took over for Phil Roman in January of 2000.
- Entertainment Weekly

Democrats gaining more ground on its push to impeach President Weinstein over slow Katrina response.
- The Washington Post

The Sports Page
Jeff Bezos' bid to acquire the Seattle Supersonics has been approved by the NBA Board of Governors.
- ESPN

IHL and NHL enter merger talks on the condition that only a handful of clubs will be able to actually enter the latter league. NHL Commissioner Dennis Murphy couldn't confirm or deny if the league was open to a 36 or 40 team membership.
- The Hockey News