AHQ: Varangian declares himself emperor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could a member of the guard have ever declared himself emperor? And if he did so what would the reaction have been within the empire, government, army, and public? And what would the guard have done?

Most likely (and boring scenario), he gets torn to pieces by the ruling emperor/people of Constantinople/provincial commanders/ a combination of the above. If the rest of the guard is mad enough to follow suit, then it means the end of the whole unit. If the legitimate emperor is still alive, they'll probably do what they are paid for instead. No way people are sitting back while a mercenary barbarian supported by an insignificant minority take over the empire. Even worse if said emperor is the wrong kind of Christian (though he may be smart enough convert to make his rule more acceptable).

I imagine a scenario could arise where an extremely well-respected and high-ranking member of the Varangian Guard converts to the Orthodox faith and is somehow able to ingratiate himself into the inner circles of the imperial court. Matter of fact, if said Varangian is adopted by the outgoing emperor, perhaps the Varangian is elevated to co-emperor. A marriage into the imperial family could be useful as well.

There have been several unlikely Eastern Roman emperors that rose from obscurity to be crowned, including Justin I, Justinian, and most notably to me at least, Basil I, to name a few. A lot of these guys weren't Greek at all either.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Please use the Pre-1900 Mic thread for these sorts of WI.

You need to actually start a discussion not just ask a question or issue an AH challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.