AHC/WI John Tory wins in 2007

The new Mayor's victory has brought forth many articles mentioning all the times he came close to winning an election. One such instance was while he was the leader of the Ontario Progressive Conservatives. During the election of 2007 he blew it mainly due to his pledge to extend funding to all of Ontario’s religious schools.

So, what would the results be like if Tory had not made the pledge? Would Ontario still have him as Premier today? How would it have effected the Federal scene? These are legitimate questions.

Took you long enough to make this thread :p

The hard part in my mind is getting Tory in to power in 2007. I just don't see McGuinty's first term government going down in defeat. Maybe a minority, but that's it in my opinion. Maybe if McGuinty came to office earlier (either in 1999 or between then and 2003 if Harris won a minority) then I suppose it could work, but otherwise I don't see it happening.

Anyway, onto the butterflies!

For starters, I suspect this wouldn't change much on the federal level. I don't imagine Tory becoming hugely unpopular, so a PC government probably wouldn't hurt the Conservatives at the federal level. In 2008, I suppose if he's popular this could lead to several more seats in Ontario for the Tories, but in my opinion not enough for a majority government.

In 2011, I don't imagine things changing except, again, for a handful of seats to potentially change hands, but given how the Conservatives already did well in areas where Tory would likely increase their support (the GTA) I suspect their wouldn't be much of a change. The Orange Wave and the Liberal collapse both occurred without any relation to provincial politics (at least in Ontario).

Provincially, things get more interesting. Given how rare it is for first-term governments to be defeated, and given that the federal Conservatives would likely have just been re-elected to a majority government, I imagine Tory would win another majority in 2011. In his second term he'd probably face the same problems with the teachers strikes that McGuinty faced, and possibly (although admittedly unlikely) with the gas plants. The former will hurt Tory more than McGuinty, I'd think, because it would reinforce an expected Liberal narrative that the PCs can't trusted on education matters, especially since McGuinty in this timeline will still be known as the education Premier.

Going into 2015 (i.e. now, really) Tory would probably be in a close race (as I don't see him resigning), likely mirroring that on the national level. Really a flip of the coin as to who would win, in my opinion.

Anyway, the Liberals would be picking a new leader after McGuinty resigns. The frontrunners would probably be Dwight Duncan, Sandra Pupatello, Michael Bryant, and George Smitherman. Duncan's kind of a bore, Smitherman is a bit too much of an attack dog, and I'm skeptical as to the level of support Bryant would guess, so I'm guessing Pupatello would get it.

Oh ha ha :p

Anyway do you think Tory would govern as a moderate or be forced to the right by the Hudak's in the party?

A moderate, in the line of Bill Davis. The Hudak-wing might try to force him to make a move to the right, but I'd honestly be shocked if Tory did that.

Now that you mention it, if the party looked to be heading to defeat I could see this causing some unfortunate internal divisions in the party.

A moderate, in the line of Bill Davis. The Hudak-wing might try to force him to make a move to the right, but I'd honestly be shocked if Tory did that.

Now that you mention it, if the party looked to be heading to defeat I could see this causing some unfortunate internal divisions in the party.

To me it seems like Tory was Ontario's Stanfield, seemingly an upstanding guy, moderate, likable, but make one fatal mistake and kept losing. Fair comparison?

To me it seems like Tory was Ontario's Stanfield, seemingly an upstanding guy, moderate, likable, but make one fatal mistake and kept losing. Fair comparison?

Yeah, that seems like a solid comparison.

To add to that, winning in 2007 would probably make Tory the current front-runner for the federal Conservative leadership should Harper step down.

I'm suddenly wondering if a politician was found to have posted on AH.com how the media would react.

Probably wouldn't care unless they were constantly creating timelines/infoboxes/lists etc. where they are always winning.

Which would be hilarious.

And on that note, it's okay, John, we'll accept you for who you are. :p

Probably wouldn't care unless they were constantly creating timelines/infoboxes/lists etc. where they are always winning.

Which would be hilarious.

And on that note, it's okay, John, we'll accept you for who you are. :p

Well, to be fair, you've never seen me and John Tory in the same room at the same time...:p