AHC: Independent Hungary 1853

So, if Franz Joseph is assassinated in 1853 by a Magyar nationalist, and Maximilian takes the throne, could Hungarians see the assassination of Franz Joseph as a call for a new revolution?

I theorize that Maximilian, being a relatively liberal and politically savvy man, could recognize that Hungary is a conservative albatross that prevents Austria from modernizing.
Would he ever decide to allow Hungarian independence as a separate Hapsburg kingdom, on the condition that it remains Hapsburg (King Karl Ludwig, perhaps?), and that Austria retains Croatia?

What would be the reaction from Britain? Prussia? Russia?

France would probably seize this as an opportunity to strengthen its position in Italy, Prussia would propagate it's position in German, Britain would lend a crutch to Maximilian I as a counterbalance to Berlin, and the reactionary Nicholas I would oppose the whole thing, unless bribed with Galicia.

I think that stronger repression is the more likely outcome of an assassination of Franz Josef. Maximiliam might have been more liberal or at least more flexible than FJ, but he would never leave Hungary or any other part of the Habsburg realms unless he is militarily defeated.
An independent Hungary moght be in the cards in 1848, but even then it would be a long shot, unless the Russian intervention is somehow prevented or there is a complete military collapse in Italy in spring 1848 and the Hungarians take up arms sooner than otl, leading to an Habsburg disintegration.

In 1853 I think that the Austrians were much more in control on a military level.

Though an independent Hungary whould be awesome it is simply to put it Asb in 1853 without Hungary getting Britain or France's help as Austria was in control of the military and chould call in ultra conservative Russia and Prussia if they get overwhelmed